• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Is Sephiroth in KH1 the hardest boss in KH games along with lingering will?

Mysterious doesn't really count because the fight is over in 5 minutes, and you can fight him at any level you were at when you are about to beat the game.
I think Lingering Will is much harder than Sephiroth unless you cheese him with permastun tactic.

Also you could argue some Data Battles in KH2 can be a bit harder than Sephiroth especially if you are not lvl 99. Maybe?

zeemumu

Mysterious doesn't really count because the fight is over in 5 minutes, and you can fight him at any level you were at when you are about to beat the game.

I found it pretty easy to farm him for EXP once you beat him the first time.

Days should be experienced in cutscenes only. The game itself is bad.
I disagree, Days has great gameplay if you get past the fact that it's on the DS. Roxas gets a lot of Keyblades and equipping different types of Keyblades gives him new aerial or ground moves and all other characters that you can use also get different weapons and movesets. The mission gameplay can be repetitive, but CoM is also pretty repetitive. I dont know, I just don't think that it's a bad game both gameplay and story-wise.

zeemumu

I disagree, Days has great gameplay if you get past the fact that it's on the DS. Roxas gets a lot of Keyblades and equipping different types of Keyblades gives him new aerial or ground moves and all other characters that you can use also get different weapons and movesets. The mission gameplay can be repetitive, but CoM is also pretty repetitive. I dont know, I just don't think that it's a bad game both gameplay and story-wise.

I think the core combat of Days is fine and the keyblades are pretty good as well, but it's just way too repetitive. The recon missions felt useless and the other missions made the maps and gameplay feel limited. The idea of being sent on missions with the other members of Organization XIII is good, but the execution could have been done a little better.

I think the core combat of Days is fine and the keyblades are pretty good as well, but it's just way too repetitive. The recon missions felt useless and the other missions made the maps and gameplay feel limited. The idea of being sent on missions with the other members of Organization XIII is good, but the execution could have been done a little better.
I agree, I absolutely hated the recon missions but I liked a lot of what the game had to offer. No KH game is perfect but Days had a few flaws that sometimes outweighed the positive.

Heh, looks like they did make that new features trailer after all. I accept cash, credit, and money orders, S-E.

Mysterious Figure with Terra is probably the most difficult fight in the series because with Terra, the fight is purely luck based. If he decides to use an attack that Terra doesn't have an answer to (of which there are many) you're as good as dead.

Excepting Mysterious Figure though, yeah, Lingering Will is probably the most difficult fight in the series. Both iterations of Sephiroth are hard compared the the storyline bosses in their respective games, but are pretty low on the optional boss totem pole as far as difficulty goes. You can practically strong arm your way through Seph if your level is 85+, whereas *KH1FM Unknown, Lingering Will and any of the Data Org. XIII will kick your teeth in regardless of what level you are.

(*Though in all fairness, the roulette attack is really the only dangerous thing in that particular fight.)

Falk

that puzzling face
The only thing remotely dangerous in Sephiroth KH1 is allowing him to get off the attack that leaves you with 1hp.

any of the Data Org. XIII will kick your teeth in regardless of what level you are.
I would argue Data Marluxia and Data Luxord are very manageable even at lower levels, I think they are the easiest post game bosses. Marluxias moves are just so easy to read and he only has 2 (?) moves that actually damage you. The only catch is that you need glide for it to be easy and his ''time bomb'' attack or whatever can't get you. I feel that his data form causes less trouble for me post game than his silhouette battle if you fight it the first chance you get.

Marluxia is fun in the way that if you are doing lvl 1 challenge it becomes wayyyyyyyyyy more harder since he kills you in one hit.

Luxord is just about getting the timing down with his minigames and not letting him do any bullshit moves.

Lnds500

You can practically strong arm your way through Seph if your level is 85+, whereas *KH1FM Unknown, Lingering Will and any of the Data Org. XIII will kick your teeth in regardless of what level you are.

(*Though in all fairness, the roulette attack is really the only dangerous thing in that particular fight.)

Unknown was a piece of cake for me. So much so that I regret not saving in the Chapel so I could battle him again and again. I only got to play this battle once and I can't say that it fulfilled me enough. :p

Can't talk about the KH2:FM's bosses yet.

Unknown was a piece of cake for me. So much so that I regret not saving in the Chapel so I could battle him again and again. I only got to play this battle once and I can't say that it fulfilled me enough. :p

Can't talk about the KH2:FM's bosses yet.

Haha, I kept a separate save file just for fighting him whenever I want. Was just fighting him a few moments ago, actually.

One thing I never bothered to do until recently was talk to the princesses before heading through the portal to fight him. They actually acknowledge the portal's presence and note that the power beyond it is something much, much different than darkness. That's a nice little detail.

Psxphile

I only just discovered you can freeze the bubbles on the underside of Hollow Bastion with Blizzard magic and use them as platforms.

What. The. Hell.

That damn chest on the out-of-reach ledge has been eluding me for years. I ended up coming to the conclusion that it was a dummy, but it turned out to actually be an active chest you can open.

I only just discovered you can freeze the bubbles on the underside of Hollow Bastion with Blizzard magic and use them as platforms.

What. The. Hell.

That damn chest on the out-of-reach ledge has been eluding me for years. I ended up coming to the conclusion that it was a dummy, but it turned out to actually be an active chest you can open.

I still haven't gotten to some sort of optional chest or hallway past the sliding/rotating walls puzzle in the Hollow Bastion basement, hahaha.

What. The. Hell.

I didn't know that and I have played KH1 12449321 times. Every time you learn something new about that game.

I bet there is some crazy secret to the black flowers in Deep Jungle nobody has figured out.

Psxphile

I didn't know that and I have played KH1 12449321 times. Every time you learn something new about that game.

I bet there is some crazy secret to the black flowers in Deep Jungle nobody has figured out.

Apparently their only use is during the fight to save Jane. Casting magic on all of them (Blizzard, looks like) causes the Heartless to stop spawning, allowing you to concentrate all your effort on the Giant Eggplant of Darkness™. Not that anyone ever needs to do that, ever. Shit was easy to take out. Doesn't explain why those flowers are still there after the battle, either.

KH1 had all kinds of weird secrets like that. The Hotel in Traverse Town comes to mind: besides the clock you can smack for an item, there's also that guy behind the curtain that answers the bell when you smack it. You can get an item by examining the paintings and then talking to him again. It's just so obtuse... who comes up with this stuff?

Casting magic on all of them (Blizzard, looks like) causes the Heartless to stop spawning, allowing you to concentrate all your effort on the Giant Eggplant of Darkness?
Well, that's another thing I didn't know about! I just rushed to kill the fruit.

Also I didn't know that Sora could actually learn Cheer before the HD collection because the way you get it is too fuckin cryptic :lol. Or that you could put out the fire in Trickmaster boss. Blew my mind. OR that Bambi can be used to farm synthesis items fast.

edit: AND that you get different items from the clock tower depending on what time it is. Crazy.

BTW nitpick number 124 about KH2. Why would they change the cool 3D preview of weapons from KH1 to a boring static one in KH2.

Lnds500

What. The. Hell.

Wow! I had no idea and I have played the game a million times! Every play-through reveals another secret. I didn't know before playing 1.5 that the Jungle Slider had all these other sections for example.

I also have no idea what chest you are referring to. The only chest I remember which I can't reach is in the waterway, the one behind the rotating gates!

Ahaha, I'll never forget the first time I found out about the blizzard bit in Hollow Bastion. Blew my damn mind at the time.

KH1 is full of obscure little secrets to be found in every world.

Mecha

When first I heard that beating Deep Jungle before Wonderland changed the princess kidnap cutscene from Alice to Snow White my mind was blown.
So I clearly had to beat Deep Jungle first on my level 1 run.

TnK

What. The. Hell.

wait, THAT'S how you get that chest? Whooh.

Apparently their only use is during the fight to save Jane. Casting magic on all of them (Blizzard, looks like) causes the Heartless to stop spawning, allowing you to concentrate all your effort on the Giant Eggplant of Darkness™. Not that anyone ever needs to do that, ever. Shit was easy to take out. Doesn't explain why those flowers are still there after the battle, either.

KH1 had all kinds of weird secrets like that. The Hotel in Traverse Town comes to mind: besides the clock you can smack for an item, there's also that guy behind the curtain that answers the bell when you smack it. You can get an item by examining the paintings and then talking to him again. It's just so obtuse... who comes up with this stuff?
Why KH1 is so good.

@force seven: fighting vs unknown now, and he is mostly easy (spamming noth attack, aeroga, and curaga), but what to do vs the roullete?

Also, I won vs mysterious figure with terra only (didn't bother with aqua and ventus), what do I get? Lol.

Psxphile

BTW nitpick number 124 about KH2. Why would they change the cool 3D preview of weapons from KH1 to a boring static one in KH2.

I remember having the same reservation with Resident Evil 2. Since there is a slight load delay (it takes half a second for the model to change) when switching between keychains in KH1, they probably went 2D to eliminate it. Also laziness.

KH1 Unknown is vulnerable to Stop, right? Does it work as a valid counter against the roulette move?

He's only vulnerable to Gravity (and Zantetsuken), IIRC. Casting Curaga with Leaf Bracer equipped or using Strike Raid gives Sora the invincibility frames necessary to have the roulette attack completely bypass you. The only trick is figuring out when he's going to actually use the attack, since he uses it at random once you hit his orange HP bar.

I actually managed to avoid the attack with Dodge Roll once, but that can't be done as consistently since Dodge Roll doesn't get nearly as much invincibility frames as Leaf Bracer, and definitely not as much as Strike Raid.

When first I heard that beating Deep Jungle before Wonderland changed the princess kidnap cutscene from Alice to Snow White my mind was blown.
So I clearly had to beat Deep Jungle first on my level 1 run.

What blew my mind was the game accounting for the unlikely possibility of beating Hollow Bastion before Monstro, and changing the dialogue in the latter to reflect that Ansem's possessing Riku.

TnK

^any cutscenes for that?

EDIT: roullete is some serious bullshit. Release comes out in a split second, and it is luck if you press it or not.

Falk

that puzzling face
There shouldn't be any case for Ansem interacting with Maleficent outside of Hollow Bastion (or simply Maleficent appearing after getting curbstomped), right? As far as I know you -need- to do Agrabah before HB, and obviously all the scenes in Traverse Town are prerequisite to opening up the second batch of worlds.

^any cutscenes for that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHf0evYnvew

There shouldn't be any case for Ansem interacting with Maleficent outside of Hollow Bastion (or simply Maleficent appearing after getting curbstomped), right? As far as I know you -need- to do Agrabah before HB, and obviously all the scenes in Traverse Town are prerequisite to opening up the second batch of worlds.

Nope, pretty sure she doesn't have any interactions with Ansem outside of HB. Her one conversation with Hades in Olympus Coliseum is completely omitted if you beat Cerberus after beating her in Hollow Bastion, though.

What blew my mind was the game accounting for the unlikely possibility of beating Hollow Bastion before Monstro, and changing the dialogue in the latter to reflect that Ansem's possessing Riku.

That's how my first playtrough was! :lol. I didn't even know there was Stop magic/high jump/all that other stuff before post game. I remember getting stuck at Monstro for some reason just before you get high jump, was going back to Traverse Town or some shit once you could access Gummi Ship and saw that you could continue to other worlds. I think I thought you might not even be able to complete the world at that point. You actually unlock Hercules cup before Pegasus cup if you play like that.

Made the second playtrough all the more interesting. In some ways beating Monstro as it is intended still feels a little weird to me.

Also one of the alternate scenes I never knew about before this video if you beat Hercules cup before Phil+Pegasus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXOZQOzZw3k&list=UUg3scYhWcPmyfJcSkulJcow
Normal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rI42AB0dA0&list=UUg3scYhWcPmyfJcSkulJcow
The first few seconds.
They didn't even need to do that one but they did anyway.

Also, I need tips for unknown's roulette.

Always have Tinkerbell out. Not only is she good to have because she's pretty much a Regen spell mixed with a one time Auto-Life, but also because summons disable all triangle button commands, including the "Release" command during the roulette, lowering the amount of commands you have to shuffle through to three.

One you get his purple lifebar down, cast a Cure spell on yourself after every attack he does. If you have MP Rage(s) equipped, you'll more than likely get that MP back really soon anyway, but you're moreso doing it because if you do it (and have Leaf Bracer), even if he uses the roulette attack, it won't hit you, and thus, the attack won't activate.

You can also just bring a ton of elixirs and spam Strike Raid once you get to that point too, since Strike Raid has invincibility frames that protect you from anything during the attack.

Once you get him down to his final pattern (This pattern starts with his desperation attack where he encases himself in a sphere of light and goes all laser light show on you), it's actually a bit easier to tell when he'll use the attack, making it easier for you to nullify it with Cure/Leaf Bracer. He'll start shooting red laser shots that'll track you. As soon as he's fired all of them, use Cure. His AI tends to use the attack immediately after if you happen to be moving towards him during that phase, so that's something to take advantage of. If you have a surplus of Ethers and Mega Ethers, give a bunch to Goofy and set his AI to use them on Sora. Those'll be invaluable.

TnK

Always have Tinkerbell out. Not only is she good to have because she's pretty much a Regen spell mixed with a one time Auto-Life, but also because summons disable all triangle button commands, including the "Release" command during the roulette, lowering the amount of commands you have to shuffle through to three.

One you get his purple lifebar down, cast a Cure spell on yourself after every attack he does. If you have MP Rage(s) equipped, you'll more than likely get that MP back really soon anyway, but you're moreso doing it because if you do it (and have Leaf Bracer), even if he uses the roulette attack, it won't hit you, and thus, the attack won't activate.

You can also just bring a ton of elixirs and spam Strike Raid once you get to that point too, since Strike Raid has invincibility frames that protect you from anything during the attack.

Once you get him down to his final pattern (This pattern starts with his desperation attack where he encases himself in a sphere of light and goes all laser light show on you), it's actually a bit easier to tell when he'll use the attack, making it easier for you to nullify it with Cure/Leaf Bracer. He'll start shooting red laser shots that'll track you. As soon as he's fired all of them, use Cure. His AI tends to use the attack immediately after if you happen to be moving towards him during that phase, so that's something to take advantage of. If you have a surplus of Ethers and Mega Ethers, give a bunch to Goofy and set his AI to use them on Sora. Those'll be invaluable.
Thanks. I am at level 77, and he barely does damage when I have aeroga on. That and because my HP is maxed out.
Seems like I need to keep an eye out in his final form. I managed to reach half of his green bar, but died there =(
If Unknown's bullshit is giving you grief, you're going to love (read: hate) Lingering Will.
I don't remember the boss having command list bullshit, but I remember mysterious figure having that. Come to think of it, mysterious figure's fight is similar to unknown's.

EDIT: well, unknown is down. The one thing I never did which I had to do was move when he does that move. I used to sit there and get hit bu him. He did the move 5 times and I got them every time. After giving it some time, the release command stays in one slot for about 2 seconds, giving time to use it.

EDIT 2: shit that needs explaining. Why didn't riku simply walk to the other side of kingdom hearts with sora, and also, how did kairi reach where they were? Makes no sense.

Two keyblades on both sides are required to close the door, that I know.

I don't remember the boss having command list bullshit, but I remember mysterious figure having that. Come to think of it, mysterious figure's fight is similar to unknown's.

Yeah, Lingering Will has a very similar roulette attack which is initiated when he transforms his keyblade into a bow and arrow and attempts to shoot you. It's tricky to time, but it can actually be completely avoided by dodge rolling.

EDIT 2: shit that needs explaining. Why didn't riku simply walk to the other side of kingdom hearts with sora, and also, how did kairi reach where they were? Makes no sense.

Two keyblades on both sides are required to close the door, that I know.

Only beings of pure darkness (like the heartless) can pass through the door. For all intents and purposes, he and Mickey were stuck there. As for Kairi, I dunno. Figured she was there for the sake of having a touching farewell scene.

So for shits and giggles (And because I had the PS2 hooked up because I was testing some cables), I popped in the vanilla version of KH1. Maaaaan, it's hard to go back after playing the HD port. But on top of that, I found a file with a Level 60 Sora that hadn't done any of the optional stuff yet. I decided to go fight Sephiroth just to see what would happen, and holy shit, either Final Mix buffed him more than I remember or MP Rage is more broken than I remember in the US release, but I'm finding it really, really difficult to actually die against this guy. I'm not doing much damage, but I haven't come close to being killed yet.

I can't believe this guy used to put the fear of god into me at one point :lol

So for shits and giggles (And because I had the PS2 hooked up because I was testing some cables), I popped in the vanilla version of KH1. Maaaaan, it's hard to go back after playing the HD port. But on top of that, I found a file with a Level 60 Sora that hadn't done any of the optional stuff yet. I decided to go fight Sephiroth just to see what would happen, and holy shit, either Final Mix buffed him more than I remember or MP Rage is more broken than I remember in the US release, but I'm finding it really, really difficult to actually die against this guy. I'm not doing much damage, but I haven't come close to being killed yet.

I can't believe this guy used to put the fear of god into me at one point :lol

Pre-Final Mix MP Rage gives you five times as much MP-bar gain, lol.

Order

I honestly can't remember my strategy for beating Unknown. I was just having a hype day when I beat Sephiroth, and then I tried Unknown for the first time. I just remember using Tinker Bell and bringing all elixirs.

TnK

Pre-Final Mix MP Rage gives you five times as much MP-bar gain, lol.
Having two MP rages with is more than enough to constantly cast aeroga and heal and have a good time vs any boss.
Yeah, Lingering Will has a very similar roulette attack which is initiated when he transforms his keyblade into a bow and arrow and attempts to shoot you. It's tricky to time, but it can actually be completely avoided by dodge rolling.

Only beings of pure darkness (like the heartless) can pass through the door. For all intents and purposes, he and Mickey were stuck there. As for Kairi, I dunno. Figured she was there for the sake of having a touching farewell scene.

Question 2: How did sora and co reach castle oblivion when it is supposed to be a separate world where terra and friends trained?

Question 2: How did sora and co reach castle oblivion when it is supposed to be a separate world where terra and friends trained?

It's never explained why they ended up there, just that after the door to darkness was closed in KH1, everyone got scattered. Sora, Donald and Goofy (and Pluto, somehow) ended up in the world that housed Castle Oblivion, Kairi ended up back in Destiny Islands, and Riku was stuck in the Realm of Darkness until DiZ managed to pull him out.

Honestly, there's a good bit of happy coincidences in the series that can be chalked up to the plot being made up as it goes along at some points.

TnK

It's never explained why they ended up there, just that after the door to darkness was closed in KH1, everyone got scattered. Sora, Donald and Goofy (and Pluto, somehow) ended up in the world that housed Castle Oblivion, Kairi ended up back in Destiny Islands, and Riku was stuck in the Realm of Darkness until DiZ managed to pull him out.

Honestly, there's a good bit of happy coincidences in the series that can be chalked up to the plot being made up as it goes along at some points.

I guess there's that as well. Some planning needs to be made up though to make sure everything tunes in well with each other.

Started CoM and want to know, is the GBA version better or should I play the one in 1.5? I really hope CoM isn't that long, cause I remember spending about 35 hours with sora, and the game minus the battles are not that good.

Falk

that puzzling face
That looks like it's taken one step further with gratituous motion blur/twixtor and HDR bloom.

edit: Actually it 100% is. Easy to tell - check out the HP bar whenever anything moves past it. That's twixtor for you.

Falk

that puzzling face
There is, and is it's still not going to look as good as in the webm. Not with interpolated motion blur post-processing making it look even smoother than a straight out vanilla 60fps. Not with the colors popping with the extra bloom.

I guess there's that as well. Some planning needs to be made up though to make sure everything tunes in well with each other.

Started CoM and want to know, is the GBA version better or should I play the one in 1.5? I really hope CoM isn't that long, cause I remember spending about 35 hours with sora, and the game minus the battles are not that good.

The remake is a lot less frustrating to play. Plus, you get two new bosses on top of that.

Falk

that puzzling face
Sony sucks with their pre-TGS conference, making me stay up for something (KH) that probably won't be there.

I dunno, whereas KH3 and FFXV are multiplatform, 2.5 kinda is a Sony exclusive and one month away from release in Japan so...

Please don't hurt me

edit: lol PSVITA and PS4 focus. Oh well.

iosefe

The Square Enix logo at the end of the conference made me really excited, but it was all for nothing.

Japan will eat it right up though.

BUT wait, there's more! this is just the pre show.

when TGS is fully here, we can expect more things

If KH is to appear this year I once again suggest you to wait for Jump Festa (is there a d23 this year in Japan?)

End of an era if There is nothing shown at JF. Well, they can always fart out chi "expansion" or somethin.

Tho now with Persona 5 being on PS4... 2.5 is the only reason I have to buy a new game for PS3. SE should be ashamed.

Lnds500

If KH is to appear this year I once again suggest you to wait for Jump Festa (is there a d23 this year in Japan?)

End of an era if There is nothing shown at JF. Well, they can always fart out chi "expansion" or somethin.

Tho now with Persona 5 being on PS4... 2.5 is the only reason I have to buy a new game for PS3. SE should be ashamed.

Come on, everyone knows KH HD on the PS4 will happen at some point.

And no, D23 is next year. It's either TGS or Jump Festa :bitesnails:

Top Bottom