• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Re:CoM is certainly a game that you might find really hard to appreciate unless you know the history behind it. For SE to bundle it with KH2FM back in the day was mindblowing and it is a very respectable remake of the original game.

But if you look at it as a standalone followup for KH1... yeaaaaaaah.

If KH is to appear this year I once again suggest you to wait for Jump Festa (is there a d23 this year in Japan?)

End of an era if There is nothing shown at JF. Well, they can always fart out chi "expansion" or somethin.

Tho now with Persona 5 being on PS4... 2.5 is the only reason I have to buy a new game for PS3. SE should be ashamed.

Come on, everyone knows KH HD on the PS4 will happen at some point.

And no, D23 is next year. It's either TGS or Jump Festa :bitesnails:

It wouldn't make sense for them to just release 2.5 on PS4 and not 1.5
If they were going to release a PS4 version it would be both games bundled. Also square doesn't announce anything till the products they want to sale alot are released.

So really it's either between Jump Festa or D23 in 2015? They could drop a bomb at TGS but no signs point for them really doing anything

Lnds500

It wouldn't make sense for them to just release 2.5 on PS4 and not 1.5
If they were going to release a PS4 version it would be both games bundled. Also square doesn't announce anything till the products they want to sale alot are released.

So really it's either between Jump Festa or D23 in 2015? They could drop a bomb at TGS but no signs point for them really doing anything

To clarify, I never said that I expected only 2.5 to be ported to the PS4. I believe everything should and will be ported over.

Concerning Jump Festa + TGS, I was talking about news on KH3, not the collections. Maybe we'll get confirmation on KH3D HD and a teaser for 3. Fingers crossed.

Even though they said all this stuff and blah blah

We just know FFXV and KH3 are going to get delayed whether announced or not. So of course there is much sense in giving us holdovers in the meanwhile.

TnK

Re:CoM really isn't about the worlds, for better or for worse. But the combat's a blast once you get the hang of deck-building.
I actually want to skip the deck building and only fight. I remember getting good cards was hard. I also remember that I almost made my entire deck those golden cards, and finally regretted it immensely. I had ultima weapon and oblivion =(
Re:CoM is certainly a game that you might find really hard to appreciate unless you know the history behind it. For SE to bundle it with KH2FM back in the day was mindblowing and it is a very respectable remake of the original game.

But if you look at it as a standalone followup for KH1... yeaaaaaaah.
I remember when it was announces that Re:CoM was coming with KH2FM, and honestly wasn't that interested. I had already beat the game on the GBA, and mainly liked Riku's campaign as it was a lot more fun than Sora's. Main reason why Riku's was better is because it was only battles, lol. Also because it was short.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah, Riku's was essentially the core mechanics without any of the fluff.

Sora could have used a lot less 'creative retelling' of the Disney worlds and more straight-out gameplay.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I've been thinking... how far does "Sora is Everyone" really extend?

Ventus:
He was born before Sora, but after his heart was destroyed, it was a newborn Sora's heart that saved him. Hence he's now part Sora.

Roxas:
Sora's Nobody, fairly self-explanatory. Looks like Ventus due to the above connection.

Xion:
A replica created from Sora's memories.

Namine:
An odd-hybrid Nobody of Kairi and Sora.

Really, that's just four people. If anything, "Xehanort is Everyone" is a more apt meme.

I've been thinking... how far does "Sora is Everyone" really extend?

Ventus:
He was born before Sora, but after his heart was destroyed, it was a newborn Sora's heart that saved him. Hence he's now part Sora.

Roxas:
Sora's Nobody, fairly self-explanatory. Looks like Ventus due to the above connection.

Xion:
A replica created from Sora's memories.

Namine:
An odd-hybrid Nobody of Kairi and Sora.

Really, that's just four people. If anything, "Xehanort is Everyone" is a more apt meme.

Also, Vanitas.

BatDan

Also, Vanitas.

Ah right, forgot him.
That connects to Ventus' heart joining with Sora's heart, hence he now looks like Sora. Nomura confirmed that if Ven joined with anyone else, Vanitas would look like that person.

TnK

This is something I never understood. Kairi and Sora never really lost their bodies, therefore, how do they have nobodies?

This is something I never understood. Kairi and Sora never really lost their bodies, therefore, how do they have nobodies?
Naminé is special as a result of this but she's sort of more of a living nexus between hearts linked to Sora than she is even a Nobody.

If fans liked her more and if Nomura remembered that she exists she'd probably be a huge deal in KH3 since it's all about hearts connected to Sora. Goodness knows she could've royally screwed Xehanort's plans in DDD without lifting a finger.

Banzai

Sora lost his body. He just got it back really fast.

He actually didnt get it back in Hollow Bastion. The way I understood it is that Sora was just a floating heart for the duration of CoM and KH2 up until he rejoins with Roxas at the end of KH2.
A floating heart like Ansem SoD was.

He actually didnt get it back in Hollow Bastion. The way I understood it is that Sora was just a floating heart for the duration of CoM and KH2 up until he rejoins with Roxas at the end of KH2.

Ansem SoD needed a body (Riku's body) to be able to exist in the physical world.

But it's probably best for people to understand that Nomura totally rewrites the rules as he sees fit rather than assuming a priori that Kingdom Hearts is logically consistent with itself.

zeemumu

I think he did get it back. I thought that Roxas developed his own body as a result of basically being the part of Ventus that's attached to Sora. Kairi also got her body back because her heart was in Sora and people were just carrying her body around for half of the game. So Namine and Roxas are in some kind of weird in between state.

Kairi's body was still there because she's a Princess, so she can't become a heartless. And it's probably her princess powers that made Sora get his back.

Kairi's body was still there because she's a Princess, so she can't become a heartless. And it's probably her princess powers that made Sora get his back.

Yeah, I was gonna say, the interaction between Kairi's and Sora's hearts kind of breaks all the rules. They've each shown themselves capable of completing one another. And I seem to remember early DDD spoilers suggesting that Xehanort's plan is actually a mirror of Sora's ability to connect his heart to those of others.

Banzai

Ansem SoD needed a body (Riku's body) to be able to exist in the physical world.

Did he need a body? He wore a coat before so he had some sort of physical form. I figured he possessed Riku to infiltrate Maleficent's operation.
He was basically just a heartless (=floating heart) and those dont need bodies to exist.

zeemumu said:
I thought that Roxas developed his own body as a result of basically being the part of Ventus that's attached to Sora.

Roxas is the result of Sora's heart leaving his body as Namine is the result of Kairi's heart leaving Sora's body (thus connecting her to Sora).

Even though the story is probably being made up as they go, it's still fun to discuss it. At least until 3D it was.

Did he need a body? He wore a coat before so he had some sort of physical form. I figured he possessed Riku to infiltrate Maleficent's operation.
He was basically just a heartless (=floating heart) and those dont need bodies to exist.

Both the KH1 journal and DDD state outright that he had to sacrifice his body and use Riku to regain a physical form.

Banzai

Both the KH1 journal and DDD state outright that he had to sacrifice his body and use Riku to regain a physical form.

Well...damn, you're right. So Sora really did get a new body and soul because of "princess magic", even though Roxas was out there. That's a much lamer explanation of things than what I had assumed so far.

But then Riku existed without a body in the RoD up until Sora destroyed Ansem SoD, right? In that cutscene where he resists the Darkness he looked like his usual self, but he was just a heart that got pushed out of his body by Ansem.

Guys.

Kingdom Hearts isn't logically consistent and it constantly retcons itself.

Take a deep breathe, admit it, and everything will be okay.

Narroo

Yet, you'd never notice the difference.

Banzai

Guys.

Kingdom Hearts isn't logically consistent and it constantly retcons itself.

Take a deep breathe, admit it, and everything will be okay.

I know the series' story is way too convoluted for its own good and seems to invent new rules with every game, but what exactly would you say is logically inconsistent or has been retconed?
Excluding DDD, which I've only played once and barely remember, i feel like most things do make sense.

BatDan

I know some will probably play the "Nobodies have hearts" reveal as a retcon, but 358/2 Days made it pretty obvious they had hearts all along.

It's been expanded on but nothing was ever retconned, except maybe Ansem.

Did Billy Zane ever say why he never came back?

Oh! Deep Jungle was retconned! Never appeared in Chain of Memories. Or in any flashbacks from future games.

iosefe

I know some will probably play the "Nobodies have hearts" reveal as a retcon, but 358/2 Days made it pretty obvious they had hearts all along.

Did Billy Zane ever say why he never came back?

Oh! Deep Jungle was retconned! Never appeared in Chain of Memories. Or in any flashbacks from future games.

"We do too have hearts!" -Demyx

Also KHII:FM apparently.

"Not mentioned ever again" is not the same as retconned. Retconned would be if they remade KH1 without Deep Jungle.

A retcon requires that the existing facts or story have actually tangibly changed. (It's debatable to what degree.)

zeemumu

I think Ansem not actually being the guy from KH1 was a retcon.

But all in all, KH covers it's tracks really well. Unfortunately, the console diversity of the games makes the story very hard to follow. It's best summed up like this.

Old guy wants Kingdom Hearts, screws over multiple people to get it, forms a gang made out of himself because time travel. Now they're gonna fight.

Banzai

Those seem more like the characters learning new information rather than actual retcons.
The protagonist of Fight Club wasn't retconed into being Tyler Durden at the end of the movie.

Could be that they made it up from KH2 onwards, but things like the secret scene at the end of KH makes me think they had some plan for the story.

TnK

Now I know why people go "lol kh story".

I guess the details don't matter much compared to the bigger picture.

Namine is explained in-game as I know, but nothing about Roxas.

Also, what the hell happened at the end of DDD in regards to time travel, because I did not understand it.

Those seem more like the characters learning new information rather than actual retcons.
The protagonist of Fight Club wasn't retconed into being Tyler Durden at the end of the movie.

Could be that they made it up from KH2 onwards, but things like the secret scene at the end of KH makes me think they had some plan for the story.

It's a retcon because it's stuff the writers didn't have in mind when they wrote the initial story and made up later on.

It's a retcon because it's stuff the writers didn't have in mind when they wrote the initial story and made up later on.

The best examples of retcons are when the material facts of a story are changed. So, for example, while A Link to the Past shows us that Ganon's wish on the Triforce transformed the Sacred Realm into the Dark World, and we are later tasked with defeating him to reclaim the Triforce, Ocarina of Time shows us that instead of Ganon taking the whole Triforce he really only got half of it. The ending of LttP where Link somehow gets and wishes on the whole Triforce is now materially contradicted - Ganon never had the whole Triforce, but just a part of it. It took an out-of-universe clarification in Hyrule Historia to resolve the inconsistencies (and now ALBW has gone and introduced fresh ones, and on the very same issue!).

So while it's often stated that Nobodies don't (can't) have hearts (and thus need Kingdom Hearts to gain hearts), it's never materially and definitively demonstrated at any point. To later come in and say "actually, Nobodies begin forming a new heart based on your memories/experiences/personal connections/whatever" doesn't necessarily contradict any material fact - only the unreliable understandings of characters in the story.

OMG guys, can you feel the hype for the KH III in this part of the trailer?

oyx1a4B.png

Top Bottom