• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Looking forward to hearing what sort of end-credits tease this one gives us (just like KH 1.5's credits teased KH 2.5). At least we don't need to wait until December to find that bit out.

I'd say that's the fairly-likely answer but $40 for that is a significantly worse deal than $40 for KH 1.5 or KH 2.5 - and that's assuming they put in the effort to make it actually pleasantly playable on a console. I wonder how they'd position it.

I definitely agree with you. Maybe we'll get a final mix version of the game.

I'd say that's the fairly-likely answer but $40 for that is a significantly worse deal than $40 for KH 1.5 or KH 2.5 - and that's assuming they put in the effort to make it actually pleasantly playable on a console. I wonder how they'd position it.

Include KH3 demo and call it a day.

In japan only

I definitely agree with you. Maybe we'll get a final mix version of the game.

Ehhhhh. Maybe, but hopefully outsourced to Jupiter or something like that. I don't want Osaka team staff pulled from KH3 and I don't want FFXV staff pulled either.

DDD's an extremely incomplete and kind of bad game with very important story ramifications for KH3. Getting it in front of people's eyeballs before they play KH3 without actually taking away from KH3 development is kind of a tough nut to crack.

Unless its cutscenes get included with a KH 1.5 + KH 2.5 pack for PS4. That way it's part of a bigger value-package and nobody has to fight Spellican ever again.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I hope DDD Final Mix happens. There's a lot they could add (new superbosses).
Maybe add a lot more scenes explaining the insanity of the final level.

I hope DDD Final Mix happens. There's a lot they could add (new superbosses).
Maybe add a lot more scenes explaining the insanity of the final level.

DDD definitely does not need more cutscenes in the final dungeon.

But yeah, superbosses beyond Julius would be nice. Still, they'd take development resources away from KH3.

Andrefpvs

If a DDD HD Final Mix happens, then I definitely want them to address the craziness of the last level. There's GOT to be a better way to explain all of that stuff.

sasuke_91

The downside of the upcoming HD collection?
Seeing DarkSydePhil struggle through KHII just like the first.

No he didn't play Re:Chain as he just thinks it's "extra material". He very likely won't play Birth by Sleep either as he called that "extra material" as well. Do research? This is DSP, effort is a dirty word.

Oh my god, that was awful. The way he laughs about his own jokes (which aren't funny)... I didn't even make it to the part where he starts actually playing o_O

And once again I agree with you, badcrumble. The evolution system is really bad, the last world is the only one important for the game's story and etc. A cutscene compilation would really males sense, they could even add new ones.

And once again I agree with you, badcrumble. The evolution system is really bad, the last world is the only one important for the game's story and etc. A cutscene compilation would really males sense, they could even add new ones.

There's important stuff that takes place pre-last world, but it's basically only in Traverse Town when YX first shows up, and apart from that it's all of the cutscenes taking place in the Mysterious Tower with all of the actually awake people.

Lnds500

I know the series' story is way too convoluted for its own good and seems to invent new rules with every game, but what exactly would you say is logically inconsistent or has been retconed?
Excluding DDD, which I've only played once and barely remember, i feel like most things do make sense.

- dual wielding
- ansem's nature
- Kairi's arrival on Destiny Islands
- Nobodies (seriously!)
- Nobodies + hearts
- keyblade wielders (everyone has a keayblade now!)
- Sora/Roxas/Ventus

..off the top of my head

zeemumu

- dual wielding
- ansem's nature
- Kairi's arrival on Destiny Islands
- Nobodies (seriously!)
- Nobodies + hearts
- keyblade wielders (everyone has a keyblade now!)
- Sora/Roxas/Ventus

..off the top of my head

I'll give you Ansem, the nobodies, and Sora/Roxas/Ventus, but the others just didn't have explanations to begin with so they can't be retconned. Kairi's ability to wield a keyblade just seemed like a plothole at the time because Riku had no way of knowing that she actually had the ability.

They're totally gonna put KH3D cutscenes in during the credits and have people aimlessly speculating for months whether or not it points to a port, remaster, or otherwise.

In reality it should be no more than $20 unless they bundle like a non-browser version of chi.

Wouldn't mind if they added extra stuff in DDD, always wanted to visit a 3D Daybreak town though I am positive it will end up in kH3

Psxphile

Dragon Quest getting a Musuo. Only a matter of time before Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts get theirs, too.

1000 Heartless battle.... ALL DAY EVERY DAY. Maybe we'll get the Behemoths, too.

Would you play a Kingdom Hearts Masters?

EDIT: aw man, we're not getting an english version of that new trailer for another two months, are we?

Dragon Quest getting a Musuo. Only a matter of time before Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts get theirs, too.

1000 Heartless battle.... ALL DAY EVERY DAY. Maybe we'll get the Behemoths, too.

Would you play a Kingdom Hearts Masters?

EDIT: aw man, we're not getting an english version of that new trailer for another two months, are we?

Kingdom Hearts is tricky to do that with given all of the licensing issues. That it exists at all is sort of a miracle of intellectual property lawyering. (This is also why that silly 'Mushroom Kingdom Hearts' idea will never happen, not that it should.)

Lnds500

I'll give you Ansem, the nobodies, and Sora/Roxas/Ventus, but the others just didn't have explanations to begin with so they can't be retconned. Kairi's ability to wield a keyblade just seemed like a plothole at the time because Riku had no way of knowing that she actually had the ability.

- dual wielding = we were led to believe the 3 fairies gave this ability to Sora (it wasn't explained in terms of story, just as a gameplay mechanic - "this trip is gonna be twice as difficult as your last!". This changed twice. Once in Days and then later on it was integrated (solidly, no complaining about that) into BBS overarching plot)
- Kairi's arrival on Destiny Islands (in KH1 we were led to believe that Ansem sent Kairi through the Corridor of Darkness and she was drawn to the Keyblade because she is a Princess of the Heart. The reason why that happened is clearly altered in BBS)
- keyblade wielders [again, we were led to believe that Keyblades are extremely rare, if I also remember correctly, we didn't know Mickey had one until the final cutscene in the original. Now there are, what 10 wielders?)

zeemumu

- dual wielding = we were led to believe the 3 fairies gave this ability to Sora (it wasn't explained in terms of story, just as a gameplay mechanic - "this trip is gonna be twice as difficult as your last!". This changed twice. Once in Days and then later on it was integrated (solidly, no complaining about that) into BBS overarching plot)
- Kairi's arrival on Destiny Islands (in KH1 we were led to believe that Ansem sent Kairi through the Corridor of Darkness and she was drawn to the Keyblade because she is a Princess of the Heart. The reason why that happened is clearly altered in BBS)
- keyblade wielders [again, we were led to believe that Keyblades are extremely rare, if I also remember correctly, we didn't know Mickey had one until the final cutscene in the original. Now there are, what 10 wielders?)

-Dual wielding was established before he even got his clothes, so most people probably assumed that he could do it because of Roxas, or at least that's what I thought because Roxas didn't have magic clothes.

-Yeah the Kairi one counts as a retcon. A pointless retcon, but still a retcon.

-Keyblade wielders were only rare because the last full generation got wiped out in the Keyblade War, and got restarted out of necessity in Sora's time. If they were truly rare before then, then there probably shouldn't be hundreds of thousands of old Keyblades in that graveyard.

-Dual wielding was established before he even got his clothes, so most people probably assumed that he could do it because of Roxas, or at least that's what I thought because Roxas didn't have magic clothes.

The Roxas thing was actually from the Director's Report (i.e. Nomura quotes), wasn't it?

-Keyblade wielders were only rare because the last full generation got wiped out in the Keyblade War, and got restarted out of necessity in Sora's time. If they were truly rare before then, then there probably shouldn't be hundreds of thousands of old Keyblades in that graveyard.

I get the impression there's still supposed to be something special about the Kingdom Keys (just like Eraqus's keyblade) and that's why Sora's so significant. The ending of KH1 implies they're needed for the Door to Darkness we see in KH1, but doesn't do the best job of fleshing out what that means.

Where's DreamDrop btw? He was keeping us informed about KH:Chi and i kinda wanted to know if the story has progressed with that game :C

Psxphile

I get the impression there's still supposed to be something special about the Kingdom Keys (just like Eraqus's keyblade) and that's why Sora's so significant.
They incorporate the term 'kingdom' in their name(s), and their designs match those on the χ-blade itself. So yeah, pretty significant.

The ending of KH1 implies they're needed for the Door to Darkness we see in KH1, but doesn't do the best job of fleshing out what that means.
It just means they needed a light and dark keyblade together to seal the door. It didn't have to be Kingdom Keys. Since Mickey had both, I guess he could have closed it by himself if Sora wasn't already there. Or perhaps he couldn't because they have to be used on both sides of the door and he was stuck in the dark realm.

Then again, before KH2FM's secret video we didn't even know he could wield his own.

They incorporate the term 'kingdom' in their name(s), and their designs match those on the χ-blade itself. So yeah, pretty significant.

It just means they needed a light and dark keyblade together to seal the door. It didn't have to be Kingdom Keys.

I'm not totally convinced that just any light + dark Keyblade combo would have worked. The translation of the Director's Secret Reports suggests that the Keyblades Sora and Mickey wield are special "heart of worlds" Keyblades. That would certainly explain why they are specially named the "Kingdom Keys."

I mean, aside from the ending of KH1, we haven't seen anything else particularly special about them.

Psxphile

I'm not totally convinced that just any light + dark Keyblade combo would have worked. The translation of the Director's Secret Reports suggests that the Keyblades Sora and Mickey wield are special "heart of worlds" Keyblades. That would certainly explain why they are specially named the "Kingdom Keys."

I mean, aside from the ending of KH1, we haven't seen anything else particularly special about them.

This one?

In order to work, the door needs to be closed from both the Dark side and the Light side and both a dark and light realm keyblade are needed. The King needed a keyblade opposite from the realm of light keyblade that Sora had, so he went to the realm of darkness to obtain one.

Because it doesn't seem to suggest anything beyond "you need a light and dark to close the door".

So... idk if its been posted, but KH1.5 is a greatest hits game now.

Apparently so!
81v%2BykC1SYL._SL1500_.jpg

I think the only other HD Collection to ever reach Greatest Hits status was God of War Collection. (Which is the highest selling HD collection, I believe.) Guess that means 1.5 did really well. Good to see.

$20 for a definitive, english translated HD port of KH1FM and Re:CoM? My head would've exploded if you told me that would happen years ago.

Village

I get the impression there's still supposed to be something special about the Kingdom Keys (just like Eraqus's keyblade) and that's why Sora's so significant. The ending of KH1 implies they're needed for the Door to Darkness we see in KH1, but doesn't do the best job of fleshing out what that means.

I get the feeling that the implication that why sora is special , has nothing to do with keyblades at all. Thats why he went from the keyblade weilder chosen one good guy in kh1

To

Somoene who wasn't supposed to wield the keyblade in the first place, getting shown up by a dude who went head first in to the darkness and came back and was such of a cool guy got his own new keyblade. That same dude solving a lot of sora's problems progressing the story shit ton. And going from like 1 keyblade guy to a bunch of them. I beleiev whats gonna make sora special is some existentialist type stuff, keyblades are tools. They are just tools, its who holds the tools who matter. By making bunches of people keyblade wielders, they put less significance on keyblades and more significance on the person. Or sometimes both in riku's case.

I think wherever KH goes after 3 , there are gonna be a lot of people with keyblades, but whoever the protagonist will have powers inside themselves that makes them special.

sn00zer

So what difficulty in KH2 Final Mix is comparable to KH1 on normal? KH2 was wayyyy too easy on normal, and I dont want to repeat that again when play KH2.5

EDIT: Als o how hyped is the Kingdom Hearts community for FFXV on a scale from Little Mermaid World to KH2: Final Mix bosses

botty

Banned
So what difficulty in KH2 Final Mix is comparable to KH1 on normal? KH2 was wayyyy too easy on normal, and I dont want to repeat that again when play KH2.5

EDIT: Als o how hyped is the Kingdom Hearts community for FFXV on a scale from Little Mermaid World to KH2: Final Mix bosses

Never play KH on anything but Proud Mode.

The KH community is very excited for FFXV since it's actually a game for us and not for FF fans.

1359121625-khvxiii.png

KH2 Standard Mode > KH1 Standard/Final Mix Mode > KH2 Proud Mode > KH1 Expert/Proud Mode

I'm definitely interested in XV, but not hyped, considering how far off the game is.

sn00zer

KH2 Standard Mode > KH1 Standard/Final Mix Mode > KH2 Proud Mode > KH1 Expert/Proud Mode

I'm definitely interested in XV, but not hyped, considering how far off the game is.

Wait im confused are you saying KH2 normal is the best? My experience was just mashing X around 6 years ago and did not have nearly as much fun

Top Bottom