• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Psxphile

I'm sure it won't be long until Sora and the gang are Infinitized. You'd be hailed as a prophet, heralding the dawn of a new age.

Psxphile

Seven Force will fill us in on all the deets. Though expect the good stuff to be spoiled online everywhere 2 days prior to the Japanese release.

Seven Force will fill us in on all the deets. Though expect the good stuff to be spoiled online everywhere 2 days prior to the Japanese release.

I doubt there is much to spoil :lol.

I mainly will just wait for the OST to appear online, resolution and framerate info. And of course trophies :lol.

Psxphile

I doubt there is much to spoil :lol.
I hear you there. But I'm fairly convinced they're going to add some new scenes to Re:coded that are going to touch on a few things that go beyond that game's... uh, plot.

And of course, everyone's going to make a beeline for the collection's credit roll on first boot to see if any future ReMixs are hinted at.

I will import day one, but it may take anything between days or months for the game to be delivered so I'll probably have to wait quite a bit.

I'm only watching videos on youtube but it's mostly terrible minigames and sidequests?

EDIT: okay guys let's stop arguing over fucking Disney Infinity, we could be arguing over Disney Worlds in KH

Malyse

If I put a box of toys in front of you and you can't come up with a way to play, that doesn't make the toys defective.

Plus, Disney Infinity base game is free on PC with no figures to buy, and a discounted cost for characters. It's a world building game a la LBP and the like. So sorry if I find it *incredibly* lazy to complain about a game that you haven't played, that you can play right now at zero cost.

Oh and don't get pissy with me when you're the one saying my opinion is bad.
Or you need a remedial course on using sarcasm on the internet. Also, invoking Poe's law.

My understanding is that it is an evolution of the Toy Box mode from the Toy story 3 game

Correct. It also has film based playsets as well, but it's mainly make your own fun.
----

I wish Kingdom Hearts was a bigger deal to Disney.

aravuus

Oh and don't get pissy with me when you're the one saying my opinion is bad.
Or you need a remedial course on using sarcasm on the internet. Also, invoking Poe's law.

I know a joke post is sometimes hard to identify, but I thought that bad opinion part in all caps made it obvious

I do think there are bad and simply wrong opinions in this world, but only the extreme ones Something like "it's okay to murder someone" for example.

zeemumu

I played Disney Infinity for maybe 5 minutes at a booth in Innoventions at Disneyland. It's too childish for me, but I can see the appeal of it. After all, Disney character crossovers were the reason that I got into Kingdom Hearts in the first place (I was almost 8 when the first game came out and had a very limited understanding of Final Fantasy).

It may not be for you, but you can't deny that some legit effort went into creating Disney Infinity.

Malyse

I know a joke post is sometimes hard to identify, but I thought that bad opinion part in all caps made it obvious

I do think there are bad and simply wrong opinions in this world, but only the extreme ones Something like "it's okay to murder someone" for example.

I invoke Poe's Law.

aravuus

I personally think 3954/23 Days is the worst KH game, although I haven't played Coded so I guess there's that

But yeah, DDD isn't very good at all in any way. I'm extra bitter though cause I literally got a 3DS for that game only

Re:Coded had good gameplay, diverse sections, and its story—what little story there was, didn't muck up the series beyond belief.
RE:Coded's gameplay was a poor man's Birth By Sleep. There were no diverse sections, every level ended with the same shit: Go through the portal and complete every stage there. I'm not saying it's unplayable or terrible, it's a great game but compared to other Kingdom Hearts games it was not as good.

I personally think 3954/23 Days is the worst KH game, although I haven't played Coded so I guess there's that

But yeah, DDD isn't very good at all in any way. I'm extra bitter though cause I literally got a 3DS for that game only

Fully agreed (except I've played Coded).

RE:Coded's gameplay was a poor man's Birth By Sleep. There were no diverse sections, every level ended with the same shit: Go through the portal and complete every stage there. I'm not saying it's unplayable or terrible, it's a great game but compared to other Kingdom Hearts games it was not as good.

DDD's gameplay is also a poor man's BBS.

If 2.5's release is anything like 1.5's, someone will probably get it early a day or two ahead of time, and the Coded cinematics will have been streamed and archived on twitch on the day of release.

I probably won't have the game in my hands 'til that weekend, I think.

RE:Coded's gameplay was a poor man's Birth By Sleep.

The same could be said about Dream Drop Distance. Hell, it was a step back from BBS in a lot of other ways, too.

RE:Coded is a poor man's BBS and DDD is a middle class man's BBS.
I just don't see RE:Coded being a better game than DDD. Dream Drop had new worlds and new enemies, and it had Flow Motion which could have been implemented better but it's better than anything RE:Coded tried save for it's progression system.

RE:Coded is a poor man's BBS and DDD is a middle class man's BBS.
I just don't see RE:Coded being a better game than DDD. Dream Drop had new worlds and new enemies, and it had Flow Motion which could have been implemented better but it's better than anything RE:Coded tried save for it's progression system.

How so?

Re:Coded has:

+ Decent implementation of the Command Deck system within the DS's control scheme
+ Expands on various other subsystems from BBS in a meaningful way (Command Melding previews, Finish Commands)
+ The Overclock system makes keyblades beyond endgame ones useful for the first time since KHII
+ Actual sidequests to tackle throughout the game and a postgame that actually has stuff to do, as well as incentive to replay worlds under different parameters
+ Runs at 60FPS more often than not (And is the only KH title to do so, barring PCSX2 emulation, obviously)
+ Enemies have actual hitstun comparable to the console titles
+ Worlds are actually semi-populated
- Every world is reused from KH1 or CoM
- World gimmicks are hit and miss
- The stretch of game between Hollow Bastion and Castle Oblivion is kind of a slog
- System sectors can get repetitive after a while
- Large pool of commands, but most are just elemental variations of one another
- Story is insignificant in the grand scheme of things

Whereas DDD has:

+ New Disney Worlds
+ Bigger Worlds
+ Flowmotion is a really fucking cool concept
+ Fantastic visuals
+ Item use and every command are now usable mid-air
+ First full-on implementation of boss refights
+ Bosses have scaleable HP
- Worlds are empty and devoid of any interaction; punctuated even more by how much larger they are
- Nearly nonexistent post-game
- Only 2 new Disney bosses, despite there being 5 new Disney worlds
- Command Leveling & Melding are gone
- Finishing Commands are gone
- Flowmotion is unbalanced as all hell
- Framerate problems up the wazoo. This isn't anything new in regards to the handheld titles, but it's at it's very worst here
- Keyblades are back to being made quickly obsolete by endgame keychains
- Drop System interrupts the flow of gameplay
- Scrolling through Deck Commands is cumbersome as hell, despite being on a handheld with more buttons
- Smaller pool of available commands; Most context sensitive commands from BBS (Sonic Blade, Ars Arcanum, Blitz) are made completely automated
- Pretty much everything and their grandmother have super armor for no real reason
- By far the glitchiest game in the series
- Story is lol

I dunno, I feel like Re:Coded has a lot more going for it, as far as being a proper successor to BBS is concerned.

botty

Banned
Because dreamdrop is only a kingdom hearts reference.

I was just teasing, but do tell.

Seven really did a damn good job of highlighting the many, many flaws of Dream Drop Dissonance. I'd also like to add that the quirky unique sections in the worlds of Re:Coded (RPG section, Shmup section, etc) really show that they learned a lot from the repetitive nature of 358/2 days, where as DDD lacks that charm. Granted, DDD is a rushed to market game, so it's technical flaws aren't too surprising, though things really begin to pile up when you have such a garbage story attached to it.

PS- Seven, are bigger worlds really that impressive if their scale is only expanded to make a broken feature like flow motion viable in addition to being barren?

Top Bottom