• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

How so?

Re:Coded has:

+ Decent implementation of the Command Deck system within the DS's control scheme
+ Expands on various other subsystems from BBS in a meaningful way (Command Melding previews, Finish Commands)
+ The Overclock system makes keyblades beyond endgame ones useful for the first time since KHII
+ Actual sidequests to tackle throughout the game and a postgame that actually has stuff to do, as well as incentive to replay worlds under different parameters
+ Runs at 60FPS more often than not (And is the only KH title to do so, barring PCSX2 emulation, obviously)
+ Enemies have actual hitstun comparable to the console titles
+ Worlds are actually semi-populated
- Every world is reused from KH1 or CoM
- World gimmicks are hit and miss
- The stretch of game between Hollow Bastion and Castle Oblivion is kind of a slog
- System sectors can get repetitive after a while
- Large pool of commands, but most are just elemental variations of one another
- Story is insignificant in the grand scheme of things

Whereas DDD has:

+ New Disney Worlds
+ Bigger Worlds
+ Flowmotion is a really fucking cool concept
+ Fantastic visuals
+ Item use and every command are now usable mid-air
+ First full-on implementation of boss refights
+ Bosses have scaleable HP
- Worlds are empty and devoid of any interaction; punctuated even more by how much larger they are
- Nearly nonexistent post-game
- Only 2 new Disney bosses, despite there being 5 new Disney worlds
- Command Leveling & Melding are gone
- Finishing Commands are gone
- Flowmotion is unbalanced as all hell
- Framerate problems up the wazoo. This isn't anything new in regards to the handheld titles, but it's at it's very worst here
- Keyblades are back to being made quickly obsolete by endgame keychains
- Drop System interrupts the flow of gameplay
- Scrolling through Deck Commands is cumbersome as hell, despite being on a handheld with more buttons
- Smaller pool of available commands; Most context sensitive commands from BBS (Sonic Blade, Ars Arcanum, Blitz) are made completely automated
- Pretty much everything and their grandmother have super armor for no real reason
- By far the glitchiest game in the series
- Story is lol

I dunno, I feel like Re:Coded has a lot more going for it, as far as being a proper successor to BBS is concerned.
I feel like most of these are not at all exclusive to Dream Drop Distance, most of the downs can be found in pretty much any Kingdom Hearts game. Since KH 2, most worlds in the series have been completely empty. Coded might have some NPC's but the worlds in Coded are WAY smaller and designed around clunky minigames and sidequests so that they feel bigger. Vanilla KH 2 had very little post-game, so did Days and CoM (Does Reverse/Rebirth count as post game?) then BBS came along and they tried to have things to do post-game like in KH 1 and KH 2 FM. You can tell DDD was rushed, but it's not like it was the only game that was completely boring once you beat it. Keyblades turning obsolete has been a problem in all Kingdom Hearts game except for CoM and Coded. I don't see smaller pool of Commands available as a bad thing when, like you said, most commands in Coded are elemental variations. DDD has tons of flaws, but it tries to do something new with the battle system and not just do a shitty version of the BBS Command Deck.

I just think it's not fair to shit on Dream Drop Distance when a lot of it's problems have been in the games for a long time. Coded is smaller game on a smaller scale with reused assets, reused story for almost every world, commands that are mostly elemental variations of each other, designed around gimmicks and minigames, plays it safe, and has a completely unimportant story to the point that the only thing that matters in the whole game is a secret ending.

I feel like most of these are not at all exclusive to Dream Drop Distance, most of the downs can be found in pretty much any Kingdom Hearts game.

Fair enough, though my points on the non bolded stuff still stand. For a lot of the stuff Dream Drop Distance gets right (and it does get a good bit of stuff right), the stuff that it gets wrong are things that really shouldn't have been a problem in the first place. Equally frustrating is the fact that a good bit of the things that DDD screws up on (Game balance, Content, replay value) are things that are actually done right in Coded. If a smaller scale title with a presumably smaller budget and flaws of it's own is able to implement the above in a thoughtful manner, there's no excuse for Dream Drop Distance not to have done the same.

Honestly, if they had retained Finishers, Command Melding, added a few more post game activities here & there and restricted Flowmotion a bit (or at least tied it to some sort of progression system), I'd be a lot more satisfied with the game. But coming off BBS and Coded, a lot of the game's design decisions are just flat out weird, and it's kind of a disappointment considering how much more progressive the series has got in terms of battle and subsystem mechanics over the years.

TnK

DDD isn't liked that much huh? If the game was rushed, any word of getting a final mix version of that game?

I don't know, I enjoyed DDD in general minus the whole time travel thing. I find it better than CoM, Coded, and days.

Lnds500

DDD isn't liked that much huh? If the game was rushed, any word of getting a final mix version of that game?

That's what we are hoping for. Or, to be more precise, an HD and polished version that will complete the HD collections.

I think there are some simple ways to "fix" DDD's problems as far as systems are concerned (and to get the game playable on a standard controller and with a single screen), but I'm not sure how to fix the lack-of-content problem without committing staff who really ought to be focusing on KH3.

I think there are some simple ways to "fix" DDD's problems as far as systems are concerned (and to get the game playable on a standard controller and with a single screen), but I'm not sure how to fix the lack-of-content problem without committing staff who really ought to be focusing on KH3.

True, unless there was content cut for time that can easily be added back in. If DDD HD is coming we're just getting the same game with polished controls and 1080p graphics

True, unless there was content cut for time that can easily be added back in. If DDD HD is coming we're just getting the same game with polished controls and 1080p graphics

I think the general ability-learning system could be improved too, to be honest. There's no fixing FlowMotion for DDD because there are parts of the game that *require* its totally broken jump-chaining (notably one very tall building in TWTNW).

sasuke_91

Just getting rid of the Dream Eater grooming would be huge for me.

That. Took. Forever.
That felt really nostalgic... like taking care of my old Tamagotchi :p

I concentrated on Dream Eaters who would give me HP/Attack and Defense Boost at the end of the game. That was enough to beat the game on level 46 (Proud Mode).

zeemumu

That felt really nostalgic... like taking care of my old Tamagotchi :p

I concentrated on Dream Eaters who would give me HP/Attack and Defense Boost at the end of the game. That was enough to beat the game on level 46 (Proud Mode).

Chao Garden for me. I wouldn't mind if they cleaned it up a little though

Shame it's the one game in the series where people haven't been able to thoroughly datamine it. KH games always end up having some pretty neat leftover data.

Golnei

Shame it's the one game in the series where people haven't been able to thoroughly datamine it. KH games always end up having some pretty neat leftover data.

It shouldn't be long before it's given a more thorough look - haven't a few 3DS titles already been dissected at this point?

I'm still having trouble grasping what happened in the last 10 minutes of DDD.

Honestly, DDD doesn't leave things too confusing for the beginning of KH3. The much more coherent part (Xehanort's attempt to turn Sora into one of him) is fully wrapped up by the end of the game. DDD's own plot is pretty terrible and overly complicated but it doesn't leave KH3 on a particularly complex footing, IMO.

zeemumu

What are you including in the "last 10 minutes"?

Sora vs. Ansem onward not including the time it takes to beat each boss.

Honestly, DDD doesn't leave things too confusing for the beginning of KH3. The much more coherent part (Xehanort's attempt to turn Sora into one of him) is fully wrapped up by the end of the game. DDD's own plot is pretty terrible and overly complicated but it doesn't leave KH3 on a particularly complex footing, IMO.

I get the main idea but starts to get confusing after a while in terms of location. I'm honestly not sure where half of the boss fights take place.

Psxphile

In this case it's the destination, not the journey. DDD's main purpose was to re-establish a new Org for the final showdown in III. The way it gets there is an utter mindfuck, though. But probably one that III will be able to ignore going forward.

It shouldn't be long before it's given a more thorough look - haven't a few 3DS titles already been dissected at this point?

Never fear, me and few people on skype are opening apart this game slowly but surely. I believe we will be able to look through the files soon.

In this case it's the destination, not the journey. DDD's main purpose was to re-establish a new Org for the final showdown in III. The way it gets there is an utter mindfuck, though. But probably one that III will be able to ignore going forward.

Yeah, basically this (and to provide a tighter/more urgent narrative arc for Sora's recovery of the assorted missing/corrupted Keyblade wielders, all of whom already needed to be rescued).

Still hoping we'll get that Dissidia-esque KH brawler someday.

One of the reasons I'd be okay with a DDD Final Mix HD is the soundtrack. Having it a higher bit rate while playing would be awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQVTpi6Mdek&index=11&list=PLF94CA5DC51DDA816

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ODAH1gBqyE&list=PLF94CA5DC51DDA816&index=31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x76CZIUmDKM&index=14&list=PLF94CA5DC51DDA816

So good.

(Also, I don't really like the 3DS's circle pad.)

and higher sample size too

3DS tracks were roughly 33-34kHZ for voices and music

Give me dat 44kHZ or even 48kHZ (this was in 1.5 and will be in 2.5)

Falk

that puzzling face
If you're gonna be anal about sample rate, the least you could do is use the correct term :X

Hz, not HZ

soz4OCD

Psxphile

Never fear, me and few people on skype are opening apart this game slowly but surely. I believe we will be able to look through the files soon.
Can't wait to see anything you all find added to the pantheons of KH cut content.

Yeah, basically this (and to provide a tighter/more urgent narrative arc for Sora's recovery of the assorted missing/corrupted Keyblade wielders, all of whom already needed to be rescued).

Still hoping we'll get that Dissidia-esque KH brawler someday.
The one bridge game between KHII and III and all they managed to accomplish towards saving the other wielders was awakening the "sleep" power. It's a bit of a tease, when you consider the opening fmv.

You have to wonder how they planned to incorporate the KH brawler into the series before it was axed/changed to Dissidia FF. So far every KH game (willfully ignoring that VCAST... thing) has a place in the series canon no matter how tiny.

SE just announced DDD Final Mix for New 3DS.

��
Nice try. If you had said iOS/Android I would have fallen for it.

You have to wonder how they planned to incorporate the KH brawler into the series before it was axed/changed to Dissidia FF. So far every KH game (willfully ignoring that VCAST... thing) has a place in the series canon no matter how tiny.

Smartest way to handle it is just to make it into the multiplayer mode for KH3, just like BBS and DDD and 358/2 Days have multiplayer modes.

zeemumu

Smartest way to handle it is just to make it into the multiplayer mode for KH3, just like BBS and DDD and 358/2 Days have multiplayer modes.

Or have it be part of yen sid's training. And have a good and evil story so you can have both sets of playable characters.

Ansem SoD already has Dissidia type special moves

TnK

Can someone please explain the time travel bullshit? I have asked this question 3 times and never got the answer.

While we are at it, what is the best way to face Marluxia in CoM? Normal bosses were giving me a huge problem until I abused the stop+attack+attack card. I think it was called Fatal time or something like that. It would beat the boss without even doing anything, but I know it won't work against marluxia.

Can someone please explain the time travel bullshit? I have asked this question 3 times and never got the answer.

What is the question?

I dun remember all the details but basically you can only travel backwards in time to a point where a past version of you exists and when you do you need to cast away your body. Thus only the bodyless Ansem was able to do it. The exeption is that while you are travelling you can apparently bring other people with you (well, I guess that counts as travelling to the future but you get it). Also you cannot change the past or something. But you kinda can by infulencing people. It's lollore.

Or you can just call Merlin or Pete to conjure up a door that lets you go to the past where apparently you can change it so Xehanort is really just a scrub.

The time travel in DDD is total Nomura asspull anyway so no need to think about it too much. I wouldn't be surprised if it is never mentioned in the series again. Just used as an excuse to have all the past villains back and make Xehanort have 8 different forms in KH3 final battle and turn him into X-Blade nuclear heartless submarine.

Falk

that puzzling face

While we are at it, what is the best way to face Marluxia in CoM? Normal bosses were giving me a huge problem until I abused the stop+attack+attack card. I think it was called Fatal time or something like that. It would beat the boss without even doing anything, but I know it won't work against marluxia.

It does work against Marluxia. You just have to be careful with the timing, as he has a tendency to teleport in the middle of your animation otherwise.

I dun remember all the details but basically you can only travel backwards in time to a point where a past version of you exists and when you do you need to cast away your body. Thus only the bodyless Ansem was able to do it. The exeption is that while you are travelling you can apparently bring other people with you (well, I guess that counts as travelling to the future but you get it). Also you cannot change the past or something. But you kinda can by infulencing people. It's lollore.

This was my guess, once I let the time travel thing sink in for awhile:

Just like how Dream Eater Riku was eventually able to enter the real world from Sora's dream, the True Organization can regain physical forms by emerging through people's dreams. Obviously you wouldn't even really need a body to enter someone's dreams, just an entry point. The fact that Sora and Riku see the hooded Ansem on Destiny Islands when entering the Realm of Sleep would provide Young Xehanort with a convenient "past version" of himself to use as an anchor (and as the "original past self" all the others can rally to him).

Sadly, I doubt any official explanation would be even close to as elegant as this. (And I'll admit that this probably isn't the best possible explanation, either.)

TnK

What is the question?

Or you can just call Merlin or Pete to conjure up a door that lets you go to the past where apparently you can change it so Xehanort is really just a scrub.

The time travel in DDD is total Nomura asspull anyway so no need to think about it too much. I wouldn't be surprised if it is never mentioned in the series again. Just used as an excuse to have all the past villains back and make Xehanort have 8 different forms in KH3 final battle and turn him into X-Blade nuclear heartless submarine.

Just like how Dream Eater Riku was eventually able to enter the real world from Sora's dream, the True Organization can regain physical forms by emerging through people's dreams. Obviously you wouldn't even really need a body to enter someone's dreams, just an entry point. The fact that Sora and Riku see the hooded Ansem on Destiny Islands when entering the Realm of Sleep would provide Young Xehanort with a convenient "past version" of himself to use as an anchor (and as the "original past self" all the others can rally to him).

Sadly, I doubt any official explanation would be even close to as elegant as this. (And I'll admit that this probably isn't the best possible explanation, either.)
These two don't match up. Either one of you is right, or both of you are wrong. Or even both of you are right, I don't know.

So, the whole you can go to any past version of yourself if you cast away your body, and then take a version of yourself to the future makes sense.

The fact that you can enter to a past member of another from your dream doesn't.

To be fair, why am I even thinking about this? Lol. It's basically this: lolnomura wants more villians for you to fight. If you have 13 different versions of xehanort to fight, the boss battles will be a ton of fun.

It does work against Marluxia. You just have to be careful with the timing, as he has a tendency to teleport in the middle of your animation otherwise.
Did that and worked. Saw this post after beating him though, but thanks for answering.

Also, is it worth playing riku mode on proud? The mode is really different compared to sora's as its faster paced.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yes to Riku on Proud

because it's required for platinum

and so are the other difficulties

lol

These two don't match up.

How don't they? One of us is commenting on how Xehanort might have exploited a loophole to gather his various vessels (notice the colon at the end of the first line of my previous post); the other is handwaving it as "lollore."

So, the whole you can go to any past version of yourself if you cast away your body, and then take a version of yourself to the future makes sense.

Well, it introduces a pretty glaring contradiction. If you need to cast away your body to time travel, then how do Young Xehanort/all the other Xehanorts have bodies in the ending scenes?

They'd need some way to both time travel without a body and then somehow gain a body upon reaching their destination.

The fact that you can enter to a past member of another from your dream doesn't.

If you have to cast away your body to travel through time
and can only travel to a period where your various "selves" existed
then in theory you could travel to incarnations of you that appear in dreams (which wouldn't naturally have bodies).

And then Riku shows that dream-incarnations of you can exit the dream world and enter the real world.

So I'm speculating that maybe Young Xehanort is gathering up his various incarnations and having them dive into [Sora's?] dreams, using the hooded Ansem they encounter at Destiny Islands at the very beginning of the game as a "past self," then [somehow] seeping into the real world.

They fuse the ideas of time travel and dream-diving throughout the entire game (Sora/Riku appearing in their KH1 forms at Destiny Islands certainly smells like time travel and was apparently their ticket into the sleeping worlds), and apparently messing with Sora's dreams is supposed to be what grooms him as a vessel for Xehanort.

So that's where I got the idea--an exploitation of the other rules we see at play throughout the rest of the game, kind of like how Xehanort implanting his heart in others is a self-centered reversal of Sora inviting other people's hearts into his own. It's just a guess, though.

TnK

Yes to Riku on Proud

because it's required for platinum

and so are the other difficulties

lol
Well, I don't want a platinum, so I will only play on normal for this play through. Will reserve the hardest difficulty when I want to play KH2 on Critical.

How don't they? One of us is commenting on how Xehanort might have exploited a loophole to gather his various vessels (notice the colon at the end of the first line of my previous post); the other is handwaving it as "lollore."

Well, it introduces a pretty glaring contradiction. If you need to cast away your body to time travel, then how do Young Xehanort/all the other Xehanorts have bodies in the ending scenes?

They'd need some way to both time travel without a body and then somehow gain a body upon reaching their destination.

If you have to cast away your body to travel through time
and can only travel to a period where your various "selves" existed
then in theory you could travel to incarnations of you that appear in dreams (which wouldn't naturally have bodies).

And then Riku shows that dream-incarnations of you can exit the dream world and enter the real world.

So I'm speculating that maybe Young Xehanort is gathering up his various incarnations and having them dive into [Sora's?] dreams, using the hooded Ansem they encounter at Destiny Islands at the very beginning of the game as a "past self," then [somehow] seeping into the real world.

They fuse the ideas of time travel and dream-diving throughout the entire game (Sora/Riku appearing in their KH1 forms at Destiny Islands certainly smells like time travel and was apparently their ticket into the sleeping worlds), and apparently messing with Sora's dreams is supposed to be what grooms him as a vessel for Xehanort.

So that's where I got the idea--an exploitation of the other rules we see at play throughout the rest of the game, kind of like how Xehanort implanting his heart in others is a self-centered reversal of Sora inviting other people's hearts into his own. It's just a guess, though.
Well, you don't really need to go to the dream state now do you? You simply go to a past self, bring him and his body, and return to the original body. That way you have the 13 others.

Well, you don't really need to go to the dream state now do you? You simply go to a past self, bring him and his body, and return to the original body. That way you have the 13 others.

How do you bring the other bodies if you [they] need to leave your [their] bodies behind to travel through time?

Remember that Ansem SoD was [apparently] stuck on Destiny Island without a body after contacting Young Xehanort until he followed Riku to Hollow Bastion and implanted himself in Riku's heart.

(That in and of itself doesn't make much sense if Ansem SoD could have just gathered up all his other selves and returned to the present time... unless Ansem SoD was staying behind for a special purpose, like triggering the events of KH1, or using himself as an anchor in the dream world as a backup in case the Organization plan failed.)

Or have it be part of yen sid's training. And have a good and evil story so you can have both sets of playable characters.

Ansem SoD already has Dissidia type special moves

I wouldn't actually want such a thing to play like Dissidia in the sense of being heavily stat-based and also having the weird Brave-stealing thing (blugh, no).

Psxphile

There really isn't enough solid information on time travel in DDD to adequately explain how ii works without coming across contradictions. The mechanics aren't understood 100%.

Just like how Dream Eater Riku was eventually able to enter the real world from Sora's dream, the True Organization can regain physical forms by emerging through people's dreams. Obviously you wouldn't even really need a body to enter someone's dreams, just an entry point.
It's weird because I never considered that. It makes sense that they're not bringing their own bodies with them when the entered the realm of sleep, Sora and Riku's are still there at the Mysterious Tower. So in a way their dream bodies were like avatars. It's doubly weird then that Riku would eventually leave the dreamscape and emerge at The World That Never Was in Dream Eater mode and can fully interact with the real world, while his body is still comatose elsewhere.

Meanwhile, the Org is moving about in Sora's Dream using a similar method: not their true bodies, but avatars. Are they accessing the realm of sleep from their own times and being brought to the present via Young Xehanort from within the dream?

The fact that Sora and Riku see the hooded Ansem on Destiny Islands when entering the Realm of Sleep would provide Young Xehanort with a convenient "past version" of himself to use as an anchor (and as the "original past self" all the others can rally to him).
But hooded Ansem really was on DI during the events of KH1. He was there to set the trap for Sora and fulfill other obligations, like opening a direct Corridor to Hollow Bastion for Riku (as seen in Re:coded). He (somehow) knew that future Sora and Riku would regress back into the past to try to enter the realm from DI. Or at least that was my understanding.

Eh, it's a mess. Personally, I'm kinda glad they did this nonsensical crap in a bridge game and not in III itself.

Silky

Banned
I beat KH Final Mix and holy shit I have to xontinue beating the games to get the other difficulty tropies? Ugggghhhhh

Starting Re:CoM later today. Never played Re:Com at all.

Falk

that puzzling face
You might wanna take a break before CoM if you just finished KH. Especially if you dread replaying KH multiple times.

It's better this way.

hmmmm i think i need to finish up KH1 Final Mix already .... had the game and almost am close to 100% ..but that sephiroth fight...i pretty much killed all bosses..got all keyblades except his

;_;

TnK

For the whole time travel thing, I'll wait for KH3 to explain it.
I thought bringing a past self is able to with a body.
I beat KH Final Mix and holy shit I have to xontinue beating the games to get the other difficulty tropies? Ugggghhhhh

Starting Re:CoM later today. Never played Re:Com at all.
I honestly think you shouldn't get the platinum unless you really want to. Also, I take back on questioning why you enjoyed gummi ship missions. It was fun on critical by not being piss easy.
You might wanna take a break before CoM if you just finished KH. Especially if you dread replaying KH multiple times.

It's better this way.
I didn't find a problem starting CoM as soon as I finished KH1.

Also second mode >>>>>> sora mode. So much more fun. Too bad it is really short.

Top Bottom