• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

TnK

Well you didn't and I did. Since this is NeoGAF there is only one solution to differing opinions.

A rap battle. Get on Skype son.

But, how does one perform this so called "rap"?

Seriously though, playing as Riku is well worth going through the somewhat mediocre adventure of Sora. Are the events that happen to Sora important compared to what is happening to Riku? All that happens is that Sora forgets some stuff, then they have to reconstruct it. You don't even know what a nobody is. Riku on the other hand, a lot of things happen to him leading up to KH2.

Are the events that happen to Sora important compared to what is happening to Riku?

Not really. Kind of a shame too, since CoM is really the only game to give him some sort of meaningful character development. Shame it gets erased by the end of his story.

Not really. Kind of a shame too, since CoM is really the only game to give him some sort of meaningful character development. Shame it gets erased by the end of his story.

Eh, I dunno. KH1 gives Sora meaningful character development too.

Not really KH2 or DDD, though. At that point he's basically extremely one-dimensional cheery shonen archetype.

I still think KH1, CoM, and BBS are the only games in the series with plots that aren't kinda crap, anyway.

Not really KH2 or DDD, though. At that point he's basically extremely one-dimensional cheery shonen archetype.

I still think KH1, CoM, and BBS are the only games in the series with plots that aren't kinda crap, anyway.

I would agree. And even from those KH1 is the only one that has a good pacing. CoM really suffers by the 100% not plot tied Disney worlds (and the ''plot'' in those worlds suck) and BBS Disney worlds while waaaaay better suffer from cutting them to 3 parts I think. Same for the original plot but way less in that case.

I kinda think BBS should have had exclusive worlds for characters and maybe some worlds shared for 2 people. And places like Radiant Garden be ones where all 3 meet. But then again it would have needed to have more worlds to make sufficient campaings.

Could have sworn I typed "only game past KH1". Erird.

And yeah, I'm inclined to agree. Still kind of amazed BBS's plot turned out as straightforward as it did, relatively speaking.

Sora_N

I decided to finally open my KH 1.5 LE and am really disappointed that there's sound issues for KH1. Is it fixable?

I still love KH so much lol, haven't finished any of the games since KH1 on PS2 so decided to play both games from this HD Collection first.

I decided to finally open my KH 1.5 LE and am really disappointed that there's sound issues for KH1. Is it fixable?

I still love KH so much lol, haven't finished any of the games since KH1 on PS2 so decided to play both games from this HD Collection first.
Forcing stereo sound from PS3 audio settings can help. It really seems to depend on user/ps3 model or some shit. Luckily no issues for me but it's pretty shitty SE didn't patch it even when the game sold so well.

Sora_N

Forcing stereo sound from PS3 audio settings can help. It really seems to depend on user/ps3 model or some shit. Luckily no issues for me but it's pretty shitty SE didn't patch it even when the game sold so well.

I'll try that when I play again tomorrow

i've never noticed any sound issue. what is it?

Sometimes the sound chops off completely for a few seconds. Super irritating when I'm enjoying the music such as on Destiny Island

Psxphile

Have we discussed BbB's multiplayer mode...not being so multiplayer in 2.5?

Barely. Title is less than one month away from Japanese release and I've yet to see any video or gameplay or read any hands-on impressions on what exactly has been done to the multiplayer component of BbS.

Barely. Title is less than one month away from Japanese release and I've yet to see any video or gameplay or read any hands-on impressions on what exactly has been done to the multiplayer component of BbS.

Yeah, curious to hear about this as well.

There's basically no reason for the Mirage Arena versions of the board game or Rumble Racing if there's no multiplayer, so hopefully those are removed and the arena level/points system gets rebalanced. Also, a bunch of multiplayer-only commands ought to get removed.

Hard to say. Certainly FFXV was very obviously having development issues, but we don't know if that extends to KH3 or not (and Nomura's being kept on KH3).

It's also worth pointing out that FFXV and KH3 were basically the only two really huge-budget new titles Squeenix had on the docket; having one man directing both of them was an absurd idea. But he was supposed to be done with FFXV by the time KH3's development began.

Psxphile

Well, having to manage two AAA+ Square-Enix titles at once seems like biting off more than you can chew. Before KHIII it was always versusXIII/XV in the background while KH handheld development kept pace. For Kingdom Hearts III to meet and surpass everyone's expectations of it while on new hardware, the guy who pretty much defined what it is needs to be at the helm 100%.

Meanwhile, XV is seemingly far-enough along now that his input may no longer be needed. At least that's the impression I get.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's also worth pointing out that FFXV and KH3 were basically the only two really huge-budget new titles Squeenix had on the docket; having one man directing both of them was an absurd idea. But he was supposed to be done with FFXV by the time KH3's development began.

On the flipside Yoko Shimomura is still expected to pull it off!

Golnei

And it's likely that Sekito and Ishimoto will be collaborating with her for KH3 as well, considering their contributions to BBS and 3D.

Falk

that puzzling face
Can't say anything that breaks NDA but here's some modus operandi for games:

- For specific music written to cutscenes, etc. you actually need those cutscenes to be finalized, or at the very least an extremely rough but time-locked demo before you can actually write the music. Which means almost all the story has to have been worked out, assets have been developed, basic storyboarding and dialogue recording has been done, etc. Basically my point is, music typically happens towards the end of a production cycle. (This is even more true for films as an aside)

- Important cutscenes are also often where orchestral music is used, so there's a recording budget involved. Just because that's how games have evolved and take after film, yadda yadda yadda

- When booking an orchestral session, budget is a very real issue. You want to record as much music as possible in a single session as that makes it literally a magnitude more cost effective. You rarely hear of game soundtracks recording things piecemeal, unless the music is used for promotional video (and even then companies try to piggyback on other soundtrack projects when doing those). Meaning for cues that -don't- rely on cutscenes to have been time-locked, they're still going to sit unrecorded till the cutscenes are done.

- Many composers also rely on a professional orchestrator/arranger to take care of the work to make sure it's playable by live musicians. (No different from hiring an engineer who knows what he's doing, hiring players who can pull it off, etc. Doesn't say anything bad about the skill of the composer. Uematsu had Hamaguchi for the longest time, for example) Again, simple business here, sessions are expensive, so you never want to screw them up.

- All that adds up to the conclusion that, more often than not large swathes of soundtracks can be in an incomplete state as far as a final arrangement and/or production goes until that orchestrator/arranger is brought on board, and the session is done, and the engineer/synthesizer op/whatever finishes their work. which is only viable close to the end of the game dev cycle for reasons outlined above.

So no, going simply by how the business works it's not a safe assumption to say that FFXV's soundtrack is anywhere near close to done.
This is totally aside from information I may or may not have.

Yasae

Banned
- Many composers also rely on a professional orchestrator/arranger to take care of the work to make sure it's playable by live musicians. (No different from hiring an engineer who knows what he's doing, hiring players who can pull it off, etc. Doesn't say anything bad about the skill of the composer. Uematsu had Hamaguchi for the longest time, for example) Again, simple business here, sessions are expensive, so you never want to screw them up.
What if you have 4 or 5 or 6 orchestrators?

Hajime Tabata, Director of games such as Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy Type-0 and Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

And to me it sounds more like they wanted Nomura out of XV :lol. I just hope he can deal with KH3. Behind the scenes info about DDD while not of course 100% accurate kinda made it look like Nomura was responsible of making it a ''test game'' for KH3 messing around with Flowmotion and such.

Then again he was the director for KH1 so what do I know! But I kinda would have liked to see how Yasue console KH would have turned out. Of course he is still there but...
having one man directing both of them was an absurd idea
I was under the impression Nomura didn't do much of the ''directing'' when it came to KH3, Yasue was the de facto director. Same for BBS and DDD. This of course most likely changes things.

Man, Tabata got one hell of a promotion. From modest PSP titles to taking over XV, of all things.

Behind the scenes info about DDD while not of course 100% accurate kinda made it look like Nomura was responsible of making it a ''test game'' for KH3 messing around with Flowmotion and such.

Nomura actually flat out said DDD was more or less a testing ground for all of the crazy stuff (gameplay-wise) that wouldn't fit in XV.

If/when Nomura ever leaves S-E
(I'm actually willing to bet he bounces after KHIII wraps development)
, I think the series would be in good hands with Yasue.

Hard to say. Certainly FFXV was very obviously having development issues, but we don't know if that extends to KH3 or not (and Nomura's being kept on KH3).

They likely are just trying to get both of these games out ASAP, so they're restructuring management to make sure the efforts for them are fully dedicated.

zeemumu

It takes a while to get readjusted to RE: CoM after playing the core games for so long. I also realized how short that game actually is.

DreamDrop got banned again?

Psxphile

http://www.khinsider.com/news/Scene...chi-to-Be-Included-in-Re-coded-Cinematic-4200

Oh god Nomura's gonna do it, isn't he? He's going to make a Web Browser game (which isn't even out here yet) be really relevant to the overall series.

I'm starting to feel like from DDD there's nowhere to go but downhill story wise now :(
There goes DreamDrop's dream of a remastered/ported [chi]. Since we're not getting it anyway I'll gladly accept this... whatever this is... instead.

DreamDrop got banned again?
He/she took the news pretty hard.

TEJ

Hey guys {and gals} long time disney and kingdom hearts fan here. Yeah, i'm buying 2.5 HD and yeah i'm totally buying a ps4 for KH3.

So uh, yeah, hope I can stay here!

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/09/19/exploring-the-world-of-kingdom-hearts-hd-25-remix-tgs-2014

It's mono and offscreen but I'm 99% sure the TGS build has remaster music (13th Dilemma kicks in at about 3m45s)

tl;dr: if you're at TGS go play the demo lol

iNcXZJJeBvvjY.gif

Giv it... tu mi

Hey guys {and gals} long time disney and kingdom hearts fan here. Yeah, i'm buying 2.5 HD and yeah i'm totally buying a ps4 for KH3.

So uh, yeah, hope I can stay here!
Velcum

Maybe SE will hire Hexadrive to make DDD HD after Type-0 is done :lol.

Top Bottom