• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

botty

Banned
A full-price, standalone DDD remaster with attached KH3 demo. It would probably work just as well as what they're pulling with Type-0.

Would it, though? DDD is kind of barren and shallow. It's a step above Coded and Days in terms of content, but aside from that it's far too small of a project to warrant a remaster. That is unless they pumped it full of content: new scenes (so that we can understand that insanity that occurred), a multiplayer or new modes, more weapons, etc.

Would it, though? DDD is kind of barren and shallow. It's a step above Coded and Days in terms of content, but aside from that it's far too small of a project to warrant a remaster. That is unless they pumped it full of content: new scenes (so that we can understand that insanity that occurred), a multiplayer or new modes, more weapons, etc.

I think *more* endgame dialogue would be pretty bad for DDD.

But more optional bosses (and/or a better way of reshuffling the challenge encounters) would be nice. I don't think they can really do much to alter the barebones Disney story stuff.

I dunno. I think you can *very* easily reduce most of what's most offensive about DDD by taking away some of the touch-based minigame shit and restructuring the ability-learning system to be closer to BBS, but there's no fixing FlowMotion or the Drop System and adding more content (outside of adding an entire separate Mirage Arena-style world to house the new content) just wouldn't work. There's no good way to stop it from being an extremely content-starved shadow of BBS.

Psxphile

Adding an optional Cavern of Remembrance-type area to Traverse Town that unlocks after a certain point and requires intimate knowledge of the Flowmotion/Dual Link/Reality Shift systems to progress into would be one way to go about it. They can add new bosses here: either at the very end ala Garden of Assemblage or as obstacles you have to beat to continue through each section.

The only other thing I can think of that would make DDDHD (!) appealing would be adding a 3rd playable character. I just don't know who would be most appropriate or make sense, and how to incorporate them into the game's narrative. It wold be best if it was a separate mode from Sora/Riku's Dive shenanigans, though.

The only other thing I can think of that would make DDDHD (!) appealing would be adding a 3rd playable character. I just don't know who would be most appropriate or make sense, and how to incorporate them into the game's narrative. It wold be best if it was a separate mode from Sora/Riku's Dive shenanigans, though.

Lea would be the obvious choice (he actually has a story arc that is mostly hidden to the player, and they could fit it in as a Reverse/Rebirth-style post-game chapter), but they're probably (rightly) saving him as an incentive for KH3.

Now that I think about it, I really wish he hadn't reappeared in the Black Coat, and instead had an original costume in this game. =/

Lea would be the obvious choice (he actually has a story arc that is mostly hidden to the player, and they could fit it in as a Reverse/Rebirth-style post-game chapter), but they're probably (rightly) saving him as an incentive for KH3.

Now that I think about it, I really wish he hadn't reappeared in the Black Coat, and instead had an original costume in this game. =/

He's pretty certain to have one in KH3.

TaiKH92

Banned
All the KH3D hate in this topic
ed2305b7.png
it's not my favorite Kingdom hearts game but I really liked it

sasuke_91

All the KH3D hate in this topic
ed2305b7.png
it's not my favorite Kingdom hearts game but I really liked it
Yeah, I liked it too^^
The broken free flow system and the confusing story are the only topics I agree on with everyone else. Other than that, the game was pretty great and looked stunning.
If this is an indicator of what we'll get in KH3, I don't dislike it :)

I have the Vim and Vigor project file why would I need a sampler CD leak :V
Cause if u had the sampler CD you could wiggle your way out of any NDA or some shit!!!!

It's not unusual to be playing a free sampler CD while streaming a nice game of Solitaire for example!

Falk

that puzzling face
But but even without factoring in NDA ripping CDs and putting them on the internet is wrong!

happens anyway

But but even without factoring in NDA ripping CDs and putting them on the internet is wrong!

happens anyway

Tell em to sell the friggin soundtrack and I would buy it without a second thought.

But yeah, that happens in fuckin november. And in Japan only. I'm sorry Falk but I'm not gonna lose any sleep for listening to the rips next week (?) for hours :3.

I would kill for a full soundtrack in a limited edition but I guess I'll have just as much fun with the Disney pin yaaaaaay!

Didn't SE actually have a soundtrack for XIII limited edition (or was it one of the sequels?). They really dropped the ball on 2.5 anyway. Personally I really couldn't care less about the damn pin :(. The 1.5 artbook thing wasn't super impressive or anything but I liked it.

I like how the post Nomura Versus XV is making the fanbase meltdown. No KH battle system for you.

RPGCrazied

On the no continues trophies, if you die and reload a save, does that count? And the speedster trophy you can glitch, just let the time go over 99 hours and it resets, beat the game and you get the trophy. I might can platinum this game now!

On the no continues trophies, if you die and reload a save, does that count? And the speedster trophy you can glitch, just let the time go over 99 hours and it resets, beat the game and you get the trophy. I might can platinum this game now!
You can reload from a save of course.

Speedster trophy is incredibly easy anyway. Speedrunning on beginner takes like 7 hours IIRC. Also you probably won't die anyway on beginner so it's pretty easy to get both of those trophies. Since you need to play on every difficulty I suggest doin em on beginner. I did that and unchanging armor on standard IIRC. Proud was for regular play and 100% the game.

Depends on what you consider "easy".
I tought it was easy to preorder my regular II.2 on Play-Asia just like any other shop. The hard part comes when brazilian customs get the game and make me pay $80 to retrieve it.

epic blurgh at that main gaming forum thread with people heaping praise on flowmotion and also on the games ceasing to be challenging whatsoever in the endgame

I have a problem. I go absolutely nuts everytime I see someone saying KH2 was ''press triangle to win'' not jokingly and that seems to have stuck for the last 10 years.

No, KH2 isn't fuckin press triangle to win. It's mash X to win goddamnit. Triangle QTEs rarely even damage the enemy! :(. I do think the QTEs in KH2 were mostly poorly implemented due to the player being able to just mash triangle and still activate it with no timing involved even on the highest difficulty thus making the whole mechanic basically useless in many cases. But it hardly is some Tabata autowin button! ;(

Can we at least bash KH2 on the real problems it had?

I propose we forget that KH2 ever existed as soon as II.5 hits the US.

Final Mix is the only version of KH2.

Never forget, never forgive.

BTW I don't think I have whined about Anti Form yet here. Well now I have. That mechanic friggin sucks. It's cool the first 2 times or something (or when playing on beginner/standard I guess???) but it becomes really lame after it single handedly costs you forced encounters/boss fights just because you wanted to spend some of that hard earned Drive Gauge.

Caladrius

Has this been posted yet?

http://www.khinsider.com/news/Famitsu-Interview-with-Tetsuya-Nomura-KH3-Chi-3D-and-Costumes-4298

A fellow gaffer I know pointed this bit out:

-We are experiencing difficulties regarding the engine, so instead will be proceeding with scenario writing and world selections..

I can't help but wonder if the game is going to be rushed at this rate. The game is still in pre-alpha, but that seems like a major thing not to have the engine fully functioning over a year after the D23 Demo.

I have a problem. I go absolutely nuts everytime I see someone saying KH2 was ''press triangle to win'' not jokingly and that seems to have stuck for the last 10 years.

No, KH2 isn't fuckin press triangle to win. It's mash X to win goddamnit. Triangle QTEs rarely even damage the enemy! :(. I do think the QTEs in KH2 were mostly poorly implemented due to the player being able to just mash triangle and still activate it with no timing involved even on the highest difficulty thus making the whole mechanic basically useless in many cases. But it hardly is some Tabata autowin button! ;(

That would require gaming side fly-by posters to have a functional brain stem.

The majority of them don't.

Has this been posted yet?

http://www.khinsider.com/news/Famitsu-Interview-with-Tetsuya-Nomura-KH3-Chi-3D-and-Costumes-4298

A fellow gaffer I know pointed this bit out:

I can't help but wonder if the game is going to be rushed at this rate. The game is still in pre-alpha, but that seems like a major thing not to have the engine fully functioning over a year after the D23 Demo.

That would require gaming side fly-by posters to have a functional brain stem.

The majority of them don't.

I still can't believe Kuzuryu is voiced by Vexen's VA :lol. You kiiiinda can hear some similarities but Prince has a great range.

I fear for Xaldin in 2.5 new voiced scenes. He sounded a little weird in Days and he actually has quite a few new lines in KH2. Demyx sounded fine in Days, as does Saix. Xigbar always sounds great :3. He should do more VA work.

BTW I don't think I have whined about Anti Form yet here. Well now I have. That mechanic friggin sucks. It's cool the first 2 times or something (or when playing on beginner/standard I guess???) but it becomes really lame after it single handedly costs you forced encounters/boss fights just because you wanted to spend some of that hard earned Drive Gauge.
I know it's a workaround, not a solution, but I never drive mid battle. I make an exception in boss battles, tough.

Caladrius

I still can't believe Kuzuryu is voiced by Vexen's VA :lol. You kiiiinda can hear some similarities but Prince has a great range.

I fear for Xaldin in 2.5 new voiced scenes. He sounded a little weird in Days and he actually has quite a few new lines in KH2. Demyx sounded fine in Days, as does Saix. Xigbar always sounds great :3. He should do more VA work.

I was bewildered when they initially announced him for the role, but he actually managed to pull it off. I was expecting full smugness mode as opposed to the passionate, temperamental performance we did get.

And I forgot who Xaldin's actor was.

Psxphile

Yeah, mostly. The few fights that you were actually punished for pressing Triangle at the wrong time were few and far between, and were mostly relegated to the stronger bosses in the game. Nailing Xemnas to the skyscraper with a combo strike was pretty satisfying, I admit.

I know it's a workaround, not a solution, but I never drive mid battle. I make an exception in boss battles, tough.

Once it was made apparent what triggered Anti-Form faster I made sure to never Drive in battle mode, ever, unless I needed emergency healing... especially during scripted battles (bosses, forced/plot encounters). The only real exception was during the 1000 Heartless battle in Final Mix: tearing up those goobers with the just-gained Limit Form's limits can gain you a few quick rank-ups before it's over.

Anti Form would be vastly less problematic if it had the ability to perform Reaction Commands. The worst thing that can happen to you in basically the whole game, though, is Anti Form when you've also got Berserk Charge equipped and are out of MP. Basically makes the boss unkillable until the form wears off.

Can't believe how close 2.5 is. Frank i'm sorry you have to suffer through last year again :pSeems alright to me, coming from IGN anyway. I think we call all agree with this.

not too bad but i didn't like the quote "roxas is a garbage character" especially when mitch hasn't played much of the series

sasuke_91

It's not even "press X to win". Mashing X, blocking with square, jumping, using magic with L1+button. The gameplay in KH2 is just as great as in KH1 if you ignore triangle QTEs. Comparing this to what we saw in the FF XV trailer and what Tabata said, it's not a fair comparison really.

Can't believe how close 2.5 is. Frank i'm sorry you have to suffer through last year again :pSeems alright to me, coming from IGN anyway. I think we call all agree with this.
Well hey, at least it's only 2 months instead of fuckin six. Plus I never got to play FM1 before 1.5.

Plus 1.5 had the best game :3.

Caladrius

Is KH 2 FM really that different from Vanilla KH 2?

It's not a completely different game, but it resolves many of the issues of the regular Kingdom Hearts 2. (No incentive to explore areas or level up drive forms, no need to use magic besides cure, lack of challenge, optional content worth a damn, no dodging.)

The changes in combat are each individually small, but they add up to make it significantly improved.

The only things not significantly improved are the script (though the additional scenes do fill in some plot holes) and barren environments.

I made a massive effortful post about my KH3 wishlist and I'll be damned if it doesn't get replied to. so I'm reposting it here

• Overclock system from Re:Coded - essentially, each Keyblade levels up and unlocks new passive abilities for itself, and each one is the rough equivalent of a Job from the FF games - it makes equipment really matter, and it did a better job than KH2 of making it so that you couldn't just get by on equipping your strongest keyblade.

• No other equipment/no equipment synthesis - well-differentiated Keyblades would be enough, to me. The equipment system in most FF games has been micromanagement for micromanagement's sake and hasn't made enough of a significant difference (outside of building up lots of elemental resistance for specific boss battles on harder difficulties) to be worth keeping around. And item synthesis in KH1/2 was never actually that fun.

• Command Styles from BBS - these were a great way to add immediate dynamism and variety to combat.

• Melee combat most akin to KH2 - lots of juggling and hitstun and dodging/blocking/countering, plus a strong variety of equippable combo starters/finishers. The basic melee combat in BBS/DDD was pretty dull even though the the Command Deck is boss.

• BBS passive-ability system - keep it simple, stupid. None of that AP shit, please (or DDD's weird way of handling it, kthx).

• Actual magical spell progression - I fucking love the Command Deck and ability melding from BBS, but when you can fairly easily grind your way up to Firaga in the first hour of the game there's something amiss. KH2's spell combo system was pretty danged great, too.

• BBS/DDD level of ability variety - yes, I know this kind of contradicts the point immediately prior to it, but perhaps the Command Style system could be a way to have Sora's Firaga temporarily turn into Megaflare (or similar things). Forcing you to combo your way up to the best attacks in the game would be a good way to add balance *and* skill depth; the fact that in endgame CoM/BBS/DDD you can basically start every single fight off with one of the most powerful abilities in the game and just keep spamming power moves until everything is dead [yes, caveats go here for Critical difficulty] shows that some more finesse is required. But those moves absolutely ought to exist in the game, and it ought to be easier and easier to get to them the more powerful you get - moves that occur infrequently and feel basically like limit breaks in the early game ought to appear really easily in the endgame, but you should still need to combo your way up to them.

• Multiple, well-differentiated playable characters - Re:CoM, BBS, and DDD have all had this. It's time for KH3 to have it as well. Multiple campaigns or no, there should be a massive simultaneous party and you should get to play with a large number of potential protagonists, IMO. Different characters should platform/dodge/block differently, should have different melee combat, and should have different special moves, all while adhering to the same underlying fundamentals.

• Arena world with a shitload of optional bosses and battles - KH1's Olympus Coliseum, KH2's Garden of Assemblage, BBS's Mirage Arena. This is an absolute goddamn necessity. Ideally it'd be possible to re-fight any boss in the game. Optional bosses should be challenging as usual, but shouldn't have bullshit command-locking attacks because those are dumb and immersion-breaking as hell.

• Multiplayer versus mode a la Dissidia - KH2's single player combat actually has a lot of the necessary ingredients for such a thing (lots of enemies have Sora-esque combo starters/finishers, air recovery, juggling, and so on). Let us play as tons of heroes and villains. It'd be a blast. BBS/DDD both had networking features; it'd be backsliding for KH3 not to have some form of multiplayer.

• Final world of complexity approaching or surpassing KH1's Hollow Bastion - KH1 Hollow Bastion is the only seriously complex world in the entire series. It's massive *and* dense, full of little side puzzles, constantly doubling back in on itself, and feels genuinely like a dungeon.

• Star Wars, Marvel, and Pixar - because this is Kingdom Hearts and it's supposed to be totally crazy. Just give us Asgard, Dagobah, and maybe Syndrome's island from The Incredibles, please. Fantastical environments are key, I feel (Cloud City or basically any non-Asgard Marvel-movie stuff would be dull).

• Bigger party size - I shouldn't have to swap out Donald or Goofy when I visit a Disney world. Just add on the guest character - you have the RAM! And the endgame should give me a party of all seven light wielders, dammit. Being able to swap control between a bunch of different characters would be fucking great.

• Wrap up the Xehanort stuff - it's been fun (and ridiculous), but I really don't want this level of convoluted storytelling from here on out. KH3 should establish going forward that there's a full and diverse cast of KH-original characters (and a full set of KH-original worlds) existing in this universe that can be involved in future plotlines, but this should mark the end of the everybody-is-Sora-and/or-Xehanort shit. The work of populating and fleshing out this universe is done (whereas early in the series it had to be done with lots of guest-starring FF characters) - things following KH3 should take that as read and tell stories with it.

• Massive amounts of endgame/postgame content - Give me reason to revisit and explore old worlds (like chests that were previously unreachable). Give me lots of sidequests and superbosses (and make them all genuinely rewarding - you should get material rewards that make Sora more flexible/powerful, not just Journal entries).

• New Game Plus - because it's the 21st century. Figure out a way to retain some of Sora's abilities and equipment while resetting his level back to 1.

• No more Gummi ship - self-explanatory. Just use the keyblade glider stuff. Sora's overdue for some armor anyway.

iosefe

I really like your list.

expect the Gummi ships though, because Donald and Goofy need it. and i'm ok with that. the gummi missions have increased in quality from 1 to 2, and i'd love to see what they do now? base it of X-wing vs Tie-Fighter?

Top Bottom