• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

While I really like the command deck, I think they wouldn't be able to do something that is not Press /\ To Be Awesome, so I'd rather focus on combos and magic.

Add Overclock and Panel System to KH2 and you get my dream KH.

If they absolutely had to retain the Gummi Ship (Might as well at this point, it's pretty much tradition for numbered titles), I'd love if they just went all-in and made it a sidescrolling Shoot 'em up. The Osaka team arw the guys responsible for Einhander, so they might as well use that know-how meaningfully.

I just want an Einhander sequel, man :(

On another note, one more week 'til 2.5 drops in Japan!

Birth-by-Sleep-Final-Mix-HD-Screenshots-1.jpg

Birth-by-Sleep-Final-Mix-HD-Screenshots-2.jpg

Birth by Sleep is going to look so good, god damn.

Falk

that puzzling face
Actually, forget it, game's out in a week anyway. Just put up with my faux-crypticness for a while longer.

Falk

that puzzling face
I can probably answer a bit of that without breaking NDA.

There's one extreme, when a score is orchestrated, performed by live musicians, wrapped up, and that's it. In Square Enix games most intros/endings are like that, all the way back to FF8.

The other extreme is when a score is sequenced/synthesized. Traditionally this comes from the methodology of getting music onto older consoles, where more often than not it was a specialized task realizing the composer's music on hardware, where each musical event would trigger a specific sound at a specific pitch (so this data could be ripped to MIDI-like formats). These are terrifically small compared to fixed, streaming audio files.

Even as late as the PS2, music in games could still opt to use a sequenced format. (This was then emulated pretty accurately by efforts like the PSF2 format). While the PS2 (and PSX, honestly) was perfectly capable of streaming audio, Square Enix stuck to this sequencing in a lot of their games, probably because the methodology was familiar to them. (KH2, FFX) But with the added power, more elaborate 'samples' started being used. For example, in KH2, the saxophone lines in Lazy Afternoons are an actual recording, triggered just like the rest of the instruments.

Skip forward to now, and sequenced music in games is very rare. However, it's not accurate to call them 'orchestrated', because while the music is streamed from a single file, that doesn't completely describe how the file was put together- e.g. if it was an orchestration in the traditional sense, or sequenced, except in a DAW instead of real-time by the game.

The benefit of that latter over the old method is that the person doing the sequencing is no longer limited to the console hardware, and has much greater control over how the end product sounds, since all the game does is play back a stream.

The downside however, of course, is that since it's a single file, you lose a lot of the neat tricks you could do when the music was being synthesized realtime. Sonic's speed shoes powerup is an easy example of this. Granted, there's been a lot of advances in implementing some form of interactivity into streamed audio files (western games pioneered a lot of this, although the music in these generally lend themselves better to moulding on the fly. FFXIII-2 also experimented a little with this)

Anyway, I digress. What I meant to say is that just because a soundtrack is in a streamed format (BBS specifically) doesn't automatically mean it was orchestrated. In most cases nowadays it's a mix of sequencing and live instruments, as budget dictates. (Even Jason Graves often uses his own custom sample libraries mixed in with live musicians for his soundtracks)

As to what we did in BBS, you'll just have to wait to find out :V.

Rage Awakened was touched up, but then again it was more a KH2FM track than a BBS track so that's not exactly a surprise!

iosefe

Rage Awakened was touched up, but then again it was more a KH2FM track than a BBS track so that's not exactly a surprise!
aw yeah
well, it's two somewhat different arrangements. the only question that remains is, are they still that way?

we shall find out soon

*edit*
I've finally experienced Shadow Sora in Neverland on FM Proud. Holy hell, is it hard

aw yeah
well, it's two somewhat different arrangements. the only question that remains is, are they still that way?

we shall find out soon

*edit*
I've finally experienced Shadow Sora in Neverland on FM Proud. Holy hell, is it hard

Using Guard makes a huuuuge difference here, IIRC.

botty

Banned
the gummi ship is pretty much obsolete now. Honestly, if Sora can't control the door to light in KH3, I am going to vomit.

If this video is any indication of the average player's skill level in relation to Final Mix's content, the Transport to Remembrance gauntlet is going to wreck people.

Could barely make it out, but Deep Anxiety sounds great re-orchestrated. That's secretly one of the best field battle themes in the series.

Tsunamo

Well hey, at least it's only 2 months instead of fuckin six. Plus I never got to play FM1 before 1.5.

Plus 1.5 had the best game :3.
That's true.

If this video is any indication of the average player's skill level in relation to Final Mix's content, the Transport to Remembrance gauntlet is going to wreck people.
Yeah newcomers are going to get a suprise with that, especially with the increased difficulty in Final Mix. I personally am not looking forward to it again, took me so long to get to the cavern of rememberance and I was a veteran player back then, most difficult part of the game by far.

Well that and having to button mash the final segment of Xemna's battle in the Cavern of rememberance, almost broke my controller from doing that.
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/kh/hd/khhd2/

it mentions birth by sleep i guess the secret is out
oh god
OH GOD

The trophy list should be available any day now too. Too bad we won't immediately know if the difficulty trophies stack unless the trophies clearly state that ''clear on beginner or above'' or something.

I hope they have come up with a few interesting trophies since they were talking about spending a lil more thought on em this time around. Who knows.

Also c'mon Yasue. Put dat lvl 1 challenge trophy in dere!

I actually have no idea how bad a complete journal would be in KH2FM. I only did it once in Vanilla KH2 like nearly 10 years ago.

Banzai

Also c'mon Yasue. Put dat lvl 1 challenge trophy in dere!

I actually have no idea how bad a complete journal would be in KH2FM. I only did it once in Vanilla KH2 like nearly 10 years ago.

If it has a trophy I'd totally do it again. And i would make it past the last cavern of remembrance nobody fight this time!
As for the journal I remember the hades cup being an absolute bitch. and oh my god some of the XIII Mushrooms...

Andrefpvs

I can probably answer a bit of that without breaking NDA.

There's one extreme, when a score is orchestrated, performed by live musicians, wrapped up, and that's it. In Square Enix games most intros/endings are like that, all the way back to FF8.

The other extreme is when a score is sequenced/synthesized. Traditionally this comes from the methodology of getting music onto older consoles, where more often than not it was a specialized task realizing the composer's music on hardware, where each musical event would trigger a specific sound at a specific pitch (so this data could be ripped to MIDI-like formats). These are terrifically small compared to fixed, streaming audio files.

Even as late as the PS2, music in games could still opt to use a sequenced format. (This was then emulated pretty accurately by efforts like the PSF2 format). While the PS2 (and PSX, honestly) was perfectly capable of streaming audio, Square Enix stuck to this sequencing in a lot of their games, probably because the methodology was familiar to them. (KH2, FFX) But with the added power, more elaborate 'samples' started being used. For example, in KH2, the saxophone lines in Lazy Afternoons are an actual recording, triggered just like the rest of the instruments.

Skip forward to now, and sequenced music in games is very rare. However, it's not accurate to call them 'orchestrated', because while the music is streamed from a single file, that doesn't completely describe how the file was put together- e.g. if it was an orchestration in the traditional sense, or sequenced, except in a DAW instead of real-time by the game.

The benefit of that latter over the old method is that the person doing the sequencing is no longer limited to the console hardware, and has much greater control over how the end product sounds, since all the game does is play back a stream.

The downside however, of course, is that since it's a single file, you lose a lot of the neat tricks you could do when the music was being synthesized realtime. Sonic's speed shoes powerup is an easy example of this. Granted, there's been a lot of advances in implementing some form of interactivity into streamed audio files (western games pioneered a lot of this, although the music in these generally lend themselves better to moulding on the fly. FFXIII-2 also experimented a little with this)

Anyway, I digress. What I meant to say is that just because a soundtrack is in a streamed format (BBS specifically) doesn't automatically mean it was orchestrated. In most cases nowadays it's a mix of sequencing and live instruments, as budget dictates. (Even Jason Graves often uses his own custom sample libraries mixed in with live musicians for his soundtracks)

As to what we did in BBS, you'll just have to wait to find out :V.

This was great to read, it was like I was at a lecture and nodding along with the professor's words!

Tsunamo

The trophy list should be available any day now too. Too bad we won't immediately know if the difficulty trophies stack unless the trophies clearly state that ''clear on beginner or above'' or something.
I'm eagerly awaiting knowing how much torture i'm going to have to go through to get platinums again.
And then later finding out difficulty trophies still don't stack
If it has a trophy I'd totally do it again. And i would make it past the last cavern of remembrance nobody fight this time!
As for the journal I remember the hades cup being an absolute bitch. and oh my god some of the XIII Mushrooms...
Yeah same here. I didn't have too much trouble with the XIII Mushrooms but I don't think I ever got the score needed on the Hades cup to complete the journal in Final Mix.

One thing I really find a bit scummy is that SE gives absolutely no word on the resolution of 2.5 (or 1.5 last year for that matter). Concidering that is the biggest point of the whole release. And nowdays resolution seems to be a big talking point in gaming anyway. Western developers start talking about current/target resolutions months (or hell, years) before a new game launches.

It's not like they don't have any outlets for this info. There are like 5 different interviews for 2.5 already and none of them discuss the technical side of the remaster. Even the western interviews from E3 and such who usually are a bit more ''aggressive'' compared to your basic Famitsu interviews didn't even mention it making one think that SE probably outright denies to comment on that before the interview is done.

I could ''understand'' it better if the ports sucked but KH1FM for example was very respectable port. Not native 1080p but definately one of the best on PS3.

Hell, with FFXHD they boasted about 1080p. I guess if they can't hit that magic number they might not mention it at all zzz.

iosefe

One thing I really find a bit scummy is that SE gives absolutely no word on the resolution of 2.5 (or 1.5 last year for that matter). Concidering that is the biggest point of the whole release. And nowdays resolution seems to be a big talking point in gaming anyway. Western developers start talking about current/target resolutions months (or hell, years) before a new game launches.

It's not like they don't have any outlets for this info. There are like 5 different interviews for 2.5 already and none of them discuss the technical side of the remaster. Even the western interviews from E3 and such who usually are a bit more ''aggressive'' compared to your basic Famitsu interviews didn't even mention it making one think that SE probably outright denies to comment on that before the interview is done.

I could ''understand'' it better if the ports sucked but KH1FM for example was very respectable port. Not native 1080p but definately one of the best on PS3.

Hell, with FFXHD they boasted about 1080p. I guess if they can't hit that magic number they might not mention it at all zzz.

KH I.5 HD was definitely a good work, sure it was sub 1080, but i'm willing to bet it was at least 900, and it's looked damn good. i think we can expect at least on par with the first HD remix

It's PS3, expect 720p. I know it's the minimum res to be dubbed HD, but don't expect more. Maybe some MSAA to fool you

1.5 was higher so I dunno what to expect.

Well, at least BBS is above 720p unless something weird is going on. TBH PSP remasters should always be 1080p even on PS3 like MH and GoW... but then again Peace Walker was 720p aaargh!

This is why we need info. But yet again some fan has to do pixel counting for the basic info that should be all over the games website and back of the box.

It would look really bad if KH2.5 were a lower resolution than KH1.5.

The thing is some games are harder to convert to PS3 hardware and obviously personally I have no clue how KH1 and KH2 differ on using the PS2 hardware. Of course they can just rewrite and replace stuff that don't work by just copy+paste.

IIRC there was an article or something how ZoE2 used some crazy magic on PS2 hardware and it didn't really work out perfectly because of that. Hexadrive had to go rewrite that stuff entirely for PS3 for the patch.

Jak Collection supposedly was a nightmare to get working decently on PS3 (not to mention Vita which is not exactly worthy of the ''HD'' stamp).

Then again KH2 emulates like butter on PC so maybe that gives some reason for optimism. I haven't actually ever tried to emulate KH1 to see how that compares. Well, not to mention I have no idea how this would correlate to a PS3 porting job.

As nice as 1080p 60 FPS would be, capes for the BBS protagonists would make a PS4 port collection an insta-buy for me.

But seriously though, 1080p/60 FPS or bust. It's kinda understandable on PS3, not so much on current gen consoles.

Village

Namura working on outfits, what do you think will happen to sora and riku design wise.

I have no idea where sora is going, his outfits are rather simular and weird in their design most of the time.

But as far as riku goes, riku has had the most normative outfits out of the two, and I would like it to stay that way, push it rather. Give him dark jeans that look like actual jeans like DDD or maybe give him a hat. Somthing.

I guess they have to give raiden a new outfit too, I guess they would give him a fire themed outfit.

Dunno whats gonna happen to kairi

Oswald pls.

wmlk

I really wanna know what the demographic for the Kingdom Hearts series is. I know longtime fans usually post in the forums, but what's the whole userbase really like? Should be interesting since a lot of it should appeal to kids.

Whole thing should just go on PC.

Disney why :(

Thought it was mostly music licensing as the issue. If they can fix the contract they maybe we can see all of 1.5 and 2.5 hit PC. KH3 is a given certainly though

After all Square is starting to release FFXIII and considering Type-0 HD on PC

Namura working on outfits, what do you think will happen to sora and riku design wise.

I have no idea where sora is going, his outfits are rather simular and weird in their design most of the time.

But as far as riku goes, riku has had the most normative outfits out of the two, and I would like it to stay that way, push it rather. Give him dark jeans that look like actual jeans like DDD or maybe give him a hat. Somthing.

I guess they have to give raiden a new outfit too, I guess they would give him a fire themed outfit.

Dunno whats gonna happen to kairi

Oswald pls.

I think we'll see new Sora, Riku, Kairi, and Lea designs, yeah. Also fully expecting Keyblade Armor for all of them, so possibly two new designs each.

Mickey might get Keyblade Armor too.

Falk

that puzzling face
I really wanna know what the demographic for the Kingdom Hearts series is. I know longtime fans usually post in the forums, but what's the whole userbase really like? Should be interesting since a lot of it should appeal to kids.

People who were kids when KH1 dropped are now gramps...

Check Tumblr, I think it's mostly 15-20 something year olds

Psxphile

The thing is some games are harder to convert to PS3 hardware and obviously personally I have no clue how KH1 and KH2 differ on using the PS2 hardware. Of course they can just rewrite and replace stuff that don't work by just copy+paste.

Then again KH2 emulates like butter on PC so maybe that gives some reason for optimism. I haven't actually ever tried to emulate KH1 to see how that compares. Well, not to mention I have no idea how this would correlate to a PS3 porting job.

Doesn't Re:CoM run on a modified KH2 engine?

Falk

that puzzling face
CoM had 60fps bits here and there (interfaces, Pooh minigames, etc)

!:0

(Wouldn't be too hopeful, offscreen footage from the TGS demo didn't seem 60fps)

Doesn't Re:CoM run on a modified KH2 engine?

I believe so, yeah.

I actually recall an old KH2 interview where it was said that because KH2's engine was built from the ground up instead of iterating on whatever engine KH1 used, there's very little (if any) shared data or assets between KH1 & KH2. Even the assets for returning worlds like Agrabah and Olympus Coliseum were recreated for KH2 instead of ported over from KH1.

Tsunamo

Here's hoping there's a PS4 port of 1.5 and 2.5 that runs at 60fps.
Surely Square-Enix wouldn't lock them at 30fps.
Right? ....right?
People who were kids when KH1 dropped are now gramps...
Way to make me feel old Falk :(
1.5 was higher so I dunno what to expect.

Well, at least BBS is above 720p unless something weird is going on. TBH PSP remasters should always be 1080p even on PS3 like MH and GoW... but then again Peace Walker was 720p aaargh!

This is why we need info. But yet again some fan has to do pixel counting for the basic info that should be all over the games website and back of the box.
Peacewalker was 720p? Suppose I couldn't tell because it supported 1080i and my TV has an amazing scaler.

I'd expect 720p or a bit higher like 1.5, feels like 2 Final Mix will put a bigger strain on the hardware so they'll aim for a lower target. And yeah i'd be really suprised if Birth By Sleep isn't above 720p.

Top Bottom