• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Lnds500

I expect 720/1080p (upscaled) for all 3 and 30fps with frame drops on some cases.

KH2FM's trailers already showed the frame-rate dropping in-game.

I am really hoping for 60fps/1080p/AA KH on the PS4. That would be something extraordinary to behold, especially the higher fps.

I believe so, yeah.

I actually recall an old KH2 interview where it was said that because KH2's engine was built from the ground up instead of iterating on whatever engine KH1 used, there's very little (if any) shared data or assets between KH1 & KH2. Even the assets for returning worlds like Agrabah and Olympus Coliseum were recreated for KH2 instead of ported over from KH1.

Very few of the assets looked the same anyway, especially for Agrabah. The only times that returning Disney worlds have genuinely felt like rehashes were in Re:CoM and 358/2 Days, I feel. KH2 repeated a few worlds but they were totally redesigned, weren't the same maps whatsoever, and so on.

I like how Scar, one of the most popular Disney villains by far, is like the only one who doesn't have a high quality model in KH2. Compared to something like Shan Yu who does and is definately bottom of the barrel Disney villain.

Pride Lands is IMO anyway perhaps the worst implemented Disney world in KH1/2. If we don't count KH2 Atlantica that is a totally different beast of course. The Lion Form is pretty cool tho but the way they implement the plot just doesn't flow at all.

I like how Scar, one of the most popular Disney villains by far, is like the only one who doesn't have a high quality model in KH2. Compared to something like Shan Yu who does and is definately bottom of the barrel Disney villain.

Pride Lands is IMO anyway perhaps the worst implemented Disney world in KH1/2. If we don't count KH2 Atlantica that is a totally different beast of course. The Lion Form is pretty cool tho but the way they implement the plot just doesn't flow at all.

The second visit is especially hilarious because it's straight up like "hey Sora there's a giant Heartless out on the Pride Lands" and then you fight it and then it's over. Not even really a second chapter.

I sometimes forget Pride Lands existed. I mean, you would think everyone would remember it because it's fucking Lion King and Kingdom Hearts but... the world is just kind of there. The fight with Scar isn't even good lol.

iosefe

I sometimes forget Pride Lands existed. I mean, you would think everyone would remember it because it's fucking Lion King and Kingdom Hearts but... the world is just kind of there. The fight with Scar isn't even good lol.
But how can you forget Farm Rock?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So when are we going to get the Trophy Lists? The game is out this Thursday in Japan. Soon I hope?

No, the best trick is going to Timeless River and leaving for Disney Castle to instantly refill your drive gauge and immediately go back for more form grinding.
That's only good for Summon leveling tho :(.

And Wisdom I guess tho those damn car heartless are too tanky.

Valor and Limit form at the Agrabah XIII Mushroom. Master Form at Cavern of Remembrance orb thingies/Gambler Nobodies+Drive Converter (thank god it's easier in FM. I remember Master Form leveling being pretty ass in vanilla). Wisdom at Timeless River/TWTNW and Final Form at Yen Sid's tower.

Trophy list for 1.5 wasn't revealed 'til someone got the game a day early and posted pictures of the trophy list. The same's probably going to be the case for 2.5. I've been replaying all the optional battles in KH1FM and fighting Re:CoM's final bosses in anticipation. I'm really curious to see if No Heart ends up being even harder than in the PSP version or if the singleplayer balancing nerfed them somehow.

While I'm on the subject, Xehanort in his prime and using the No Heart armor should totally be one of the 13 Darknesses. That'd be a hell of a battle to see in KHIII.

Caladrius

That's only good for Summon leveling tho :(.

And Wisdom I guess tho those damn car heartless are too tanky.

Valor and Limit form at the Agrabah XIII Mushroom. Master Form at Cavern of Remembrance orb thingies/Gambler Nobodies+Drive Converter (thank god it's easier in FM. I remember Master Form leveling being pretty ass in vanilla). Wisdom at Timeless River/TWTNW and Final Form at Yen Sid's tower.

Valor, Limit and Wisdom are pretty easy at timeless river actually. The black hole room has a lot of easily farmed heartless, though your suggestion for Limit form is probably better since it's less likely to be interrupted.

Trophy list for 1.5 wasn't revealed 'til someone got the game a day early and posted pictures of the trophy list. The same's probably going to be the case for 2.5. I've been replaying all the optional battles in KH1FM and fighting Re:CoM's final bosses in anticipation. I'm really curious to see if No Heart ends up being even harder than in the PSP version or if the singleplayer balancing nerfed them somehow.

While I'm on the subject, Xehanort in his prime and using the No Heart armor should totally be one of the 13 Darknesses. That'd be a hell of a battle to see in KHIII.

The changes to the BBS bosses are what I'm looking forward to the most. And armored Xehanort in some form is basically guaranteed for 3.

Tsunamo

Yeah the trophy list will probably pop up a couple of days before release when someone gets a early copy and they post it/people start streaming the game.
I'm really curious to see if No Heart ends up being even harder than in the PSP version or if the singleplayer balancing nerfed them somehow.
I'm really looking forward to giving that battle a try. I never actually attempted to get up to No Heart in Final Mix so it'll be fresh for me.

I just don't want a no-equipment-change trophy again. So lame.

Apart from that, as long as difficulty trophies stack, I can handle whatever. Though BBS Critical is such a boring slog.

I'm really looking forward to giving that battle a try. I never actually attempted to get up to No Heart in Final Mix so it'll be fresh for me.

No Heart is probably the closest the Osaka team's gotten to designing a boss as good as Lingering Will. It's still nowhere near as intricately designed as that fight, but it's head and shoulders above Mysterious Figure. The only issue (and this goes for Armor of Eraqus too) is that they have ridiculously high defense stats because they were designed with multiplayer in mind. I assume Mirage Arena being rebalanced for single player includes adjusting their stats as well. Going by the latest trailer, No Heart already seems to have gotten a health nerf. (From 9 HP bars to about 7 and a half)

This video has a pretty good explanation of No Heart's attacks. I never actually noticed until now that nearly every attack he has involves a different Keyblade transformation. That's pretty neat.

Psxphile

I expect 720/1080p (upscaled) for all 3 and 30fps with frame drops on some cases.

KH2FM's trailers already showed the frame-rate dropping in-game.

I am really hoping for 60fps/1080p/AA KH on the PS4. That would be something extraordinary to behold, especially the higher fps.
Not really an indication of anything, one of the early KH1.5HD trailers had that very noticeable bit of frame dropping during the Firaga Burst sleight (something to do with alpha transparencies, I think), but it was fixed for release. However, there are a few instances of frame drops in other areas though. Cinema sequences, mostly.

in KH 2 FM, can you still use a save point to travel to the overworld while in a drive form so that the drive gauge is filled up completely?

That, or just go into any area w/ npcs. That too will reset the Drive meter (the Agrabah shopkeeper's room, the mountain village in Mulan, etc.)

The changes to the BBS bosses are what I'm looking forward to the most. And armored Xehanort in some form is basically guaranteed for 3.
I see No Heart as MX's "this isn't even my final form" power-up for the final battles, not as a separate character. Unless you're suggesting it's going to be a Lingering Regret or something. Actually, looking at it makes me think of Nobodies... and, well... we never got an answer on whether MX had one after he released his heart to claim Terra.

Valor, Limit and Wisdom are pretty easy at timeless river actually. The black hole room has a lot of easily farmed heartless, though your suggestion for Limit form is probably better since it's less likely to be interrupted.

With Limit Form you can level much faster if you don't actually hit anything since every time you hit something with your limits your form gauge decreases much more compared to when you don't hit anything (thus you can use more limits). In Agrabah the XIII Mushroom doesn't move at all or attack you so you can just go to a corner and start throwing Strike Raids at walls. There is a save point next room so you can easily refresh the gauge when it's running out.

As for Valor the trick is when you probably are leveling forms you cannot even kill the mushroom thus you can just whail at a single target without it dying or fighting back. Also you can do the fastest amount of hits just repeating square+as many normal air combos as you can without anything interrupting.

Timeless River is the best place for Wisdom before TWTNW. After you gain access there it's easier to do there immediately after the Roxas boss since right at the castle entrance since it becomes a room that separates a party (meaning your form gauge refreshes if you enter there in a drive form). There are tons of low HP heartless and no tanky ones like the cars.

I see No Heart as MX's "this isn't even my final form" power-up for the final battles, not as a separate character. Unless you're suggesting it's going to be a Lingering Regret or something. Actually, looking at it makes me think of Nobodies... and, well... we never got an answer on whether MX had one after he released his heart to claim Terra.

The reports in BBSFM describe No Heart as a data reconstruction (akin to the Data Org. XIII, I guess) of Xehanort in his prime wearing keyblade armor. Considering
Young Xehanort is supposed to be gathering different versions of Xehanort across time, and the stretch of time between his teenage years and becoming an elderly keyblade master is one that hasn't been touched on (and hasn't really needed to, admittedly), I don't think it's too much of a stretch to see some form of Xehanort pulled from that time frame.

I hope that No Heart is a part of the new Organization, yeah. We definitely need to get some characters that aren't just reprises of people we've already fought previously.

I hope that No Heart is a part of the new Organization, yeah. We definitely need to get some characters that aren't just reprises of people we've already fought previously.

MbVkGIr.gif

The real question is Will KH3 introduce any new original characters that are not Xehanort/Sora or somehow awkwardly linked to them.

Falk

that puzzling face
Friend dropped off KH OST Complete. Picked up for collection's sake.

(Yeah I know, sequence of events is kind of backwards lol)

Lnds500

Not really an indication of anything, one of the early KH1.5HD trailers had that very noticeable bit of frame dropping during the Firaga Burst sleight (something to do with alpha transparencies, I think), but it was fixed for release. However, there are a few instances of frame drops in other areas though. Cinema sequences, mostly.

Re:CoM has some severe frame-drops and they are constant. Especially when using Riku+Mickey and I can recall a fire spell that drops the frame-rate as well. It could be Firaga Burst (under certain circumstances) but I really can't recall.

That was issued after BBS, right? If I recall correctly, it doesn't include Re:Coded, DDD, or [chi].

No, that came out in 2007, after FM+

http://kingdomhearts.wikia.com/wiki/Kingdom_Hearts_Original_Soundtrack_Complete

I am actually considering getting it as well.

Tsunamo

The Kingdom Hearts OST Complete is great, picked it up a couple of years after it released. Great Collectors item, has prettymuch every track from 1, Re:CoM and 2 Final Mix, takes a bit to rip the songs off of the CD's if you wanna play them on something else though, it has around 9 disks all up from memory (with a key piece of artwork, which is neat)
No Heart is probably the closest the Osaka team's gotten to designing a boss as good as Lingering Will. It's still nowhere near as intricately designed as that fight, but it's head and shoulders above Mysterious Figure. The only issue (and this goes for Armor of Eraqus too) is that they have ridiculously high defense stats because they were designed with multiplayer in mind. I assume Mirage Arena being rebalanced for single player includes adjusting their stats as well. Going by the latest trailer, No Heart already seems to have gotten a health nerf. (From 9 HP bars to about 7 and a half)

This video has a pretty good explanation of No Heart's attacks. I never actually noticed until now that nearly every attack he has involves a different Keyblade transformation. That's pretty neat.
Sounds like fun. I know I enjoyed Lingering Will because of how well designed it was so playing the Osaka teams attempt at something like it should be great.

And yeah it seemed like from the video its defense stats were rediculously high (though attack didn't seem too bad until the later phases) and had a multiplayer focus so it's safe to assume that's probably gonna be nerfed a littlebit more than HP bars being lower for Singleplayer Mirage Arena.

Falk

that puzzling face
That was issued after BBS, right? If I recall correctly, it doesn't include Re:Coded, DDD, or [chi].

I might be slightly off on this, but I believe the way to own pretty much all KH music* (soundtracks excluding arrange albums, covers, etc obviously) would be

- KH OST Complete which covers 1, 2, their Final Mixes, and Re:CoM, which is inclusive of the slightly re-done recurring songs (Agrabah, Pooh, etc. for example)
- KH BBS+358/2 OST - which covers, surprisingly enough, BBS (+ Final Mix) and 358/2 Days (Vector to the Heavens and Dismiss omg) as well as Re:Coded
- KH DDD OST - Dream Drop Distance

And then the 1.5 and 2.5 soundtracks would supplement the above collection by providing updated versions of tracks where applicable. Which is confusing to think about since you could say BBS and DDD provided updated versions of KH2 which provided updated versions of KH1, and now KH1 and KH2
and maybe BBS
each have their own re-updated versions for HD ReMIX which are very distinct from each other lol. There are honest to God 5 (maybe more) versions of Winnie the Pooh now.

*edit: Not counting Chi.

Tsunamo

Yeah i'm prettysure that's it. You could go for the KH1 and KH2 OSTs instead but they don't include Re:CoM and Final Mix/Bonus Tracks and I don't believe they got any induvidual or other album releases up until the HD ReMIX OSTs. (which even then the Final Mix tracks wouldn't be the original arrangements)

I probably should grab 1.5 and 2.5's OSTs when I have the money so I can finish up my collection of KH music
Until 3 and Chi's OST come along, and then whatever comes after it @_@

Caladrius

Yeah i'm prettysure that's it. You could go for the KH1 and KH2 OSTs instead but they don't include Re:CoM and Final Mix/Bonus Tracks and I don't believe they got any induvidual or other album releases up until the HD ReMIX OSTs. (which even then the Final Mix tracks wouldn't be the original arrangements)

I probably should grab 1.5 and 2.5's OSTs when I have the money so I can finish up my collection of KH music
Until 3 and Chis OST come along, and then whatever comes after it @_@
Kingdom Hearts 1 FM actually did get an individual release for its tracks (all five of them).

With Limit Form you can level much faster if you don't actually hit anything since every time you hit something with your limits your form gauge decreases much more compared to when you don't hit anything (thus you can use more limits). In Agrabah the XIII Mushroom doesn't move at all or attack you so you can just go to a corner and start throwing Strike Raids at walls. There is a save point next room so you can easily refresh the gauge when it's running out.

As for Valor the trick is when you probably are leveling forms you cannot even kill the mushroom thus you can just whail at a single target without it dying or fighting back. Also you can do the fastest amount of hits just repeating square+as many normal air combos as you can without anything interrupting.

Timeless River is the best place for Wisdom before TWTNW. After you gain access there it's easier to do there immediately after the Roxas boss since right at the castle entrance since it becomes a room that separates a party (meaning your form gauge refreshes if you enter there in a drive form). There are tons of low HP heartless and no tanky ones like the cars.

Ah. I stand corrected then.

I do my form grinding throughout the main game, so it doesn't change much, but that's good to know.

This reminds me that I forgot to write that mini-guide for the extra bosses. Alas, for Guild Wars 2, Mario & Luigi and Smash have captured my attention.

Malyse

I might be slightly off on this, but I believe the way to own pretty much all KH music* (soundtracks excluding arrange albums, covers, etc obviously) would be

- KH OST Complete which covers 1, 2, their Final Mixes, and Re:CoM, which is inclusive of the slightly re-done recurring songs (Agrabah, Pooh, etc. for example)
- KH BBS+358/2 OST - which covers, surprisingly enough, BBS (+ Final Mix) and 358/2 Days (Vector to the Heavens and Dismiss omg) as well as Re:Coded
- KH DDD OST - Dream Drop Distance

And then the 1.5 and 2.5 soundtracks would supplement the above collection by providing updated versions of tracks where applicable. Which is confusing to think about since you could say BBS and DDD provided updated versions of KH2 which provided updated versions of KH1, and now KH1 and KH2
and maybe BBS
each have their own re-updated versions for HD ReMIX which are very distinct from each other lol. There are honest to God 5 (maybe more) versions of Winnie the Pooh now.

*edit: Not counting Chi.

[chi] is like four tracks. DB chi version, Daybreak town theme, Daybreak battle theme, and a cutscene track.

Psxphile

Re:CoM has some severe frame-drops and they are constant. Especially when using Riku+Mickey and I can recall a fire spell that drops the frame-rate as well. It could be Firaga Burst (under certain circumstances) but I really can't recall.

Not in my experience. I just completed Proud runs of both Sora and Riku. Game runs like butter most of the time. Honestly, the worst moment was during a game-generated cut-scene in the Destiny Islands card world.

Falk

that puzzling face
[chi] is like four tracks. DB chi version, Daybreak town theme, Daybreak battle theme, and a cutscene track.

Yes, but they still count under the definition of soundtrack, which is music that's played in an official product in some shape or form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4omhSErUHNA DDD had so much good music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxaPhpdHRqU Shouldn't overlook Sekito and Ishimoto's contributions either.

Top Bottom