• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Psxphile

I can't get over how amazing 2 Final Mix looks. 1 Final Mix in HD looked great but this is just stunning. I can barely see any aliasing and everything just looks beautiful, the mountains on Mulans world and Twilight Town in particular look amazing.

I can not wait to see how Birth By Sleep Final Mix HD will look!

Just for the record: is your PS3 outputting to 720p or 1080p?

Edit: crap, new page... so uh, how about that KH3 Unreal engine (not)controversy?

Falk

that puzzling face
Considering Kingdom Shader was more of a concept and aesthetic target than actual functioning tech, every man hour not spent wrestling with a platform that hasn't been proven* is a man hour actually making KH3 better.

*Since it's a licensed engine, if shit breaks in UE4, it's up to Epic to fix it, not Square Enix.

raven777

I can't get over how amazing 2 Final Mix looks. 1 Final Mix in HD looked great but this is just stunning. I can barely see any aliasing and everything just looks beautiful, the mountains on Mulans world and Twilight Town in particular look amazing.

I can not wait to see how Birth By Sleep Final Mix HD will look!

What I was surprised the most was how good character face animation was. It was a huge improvement from KH1. Sora's facial animation look superb.

Psxphile

What I was surprised the most was how good character face animation was. It was a huge improvement from KH1. Sora's facial animation look superb.

Mgefjz4.png

They make great reaction images.

Tsunamo

Yeah, super refreshing. (although 1.5 did help for Sora, Riku, Kairi and SoD's faces by making new ones)
Nothing can escape the fish face though.
Just for the record: is your PS3 outputting to 720p or 1080p?

Edit: crap, new page... so uh, how about that KH3 Unreal engine (not)controversy?
1080i. (so basically 1080p interlaced) My plasma's super old and doesn't support 720p or 1080p but it still does the trick for games that support it. It's also a Panasonic one so it has one heck of a scaler.

It's a real worry for the luminous engine, but aslong as it gets development done faster I welcome a engine switch solong as it doesn't affect the overly ambitious Kingdom Hearts shader they were talking up doesn't get downgraded so we end up getting it dulled visually. I'm no expert on engines though, so it's probably for the best.

The next showing of the game's going to be very interesting.
Mgefjz4.png

They make great reaction images.
Sora2.jpg

Edit: Timeless River in Full HD is amazing, two opposite ends of the spectrum in television in one.

Edit 2: Port Royal looks nice.

Edit 3: Everything looks nice.

From Famitsu interview:

—So that's what you took into consideration for that composition. Also, KH titles always have memorable taglines, and KH2.5 is no exception with the tag 'an unforgettable journey'. What intentions were involved in it?

I can't come up with a more forgettable tagline if I tried.

Tsunamo

A unforgettable wait until Kingdom Hearts 3.

Just encountered my first bug doing gummi missions, the pop-up telling me what I unlocked was just grey. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come in the future.

Edit: Soras texture is popping in and out (to be replaced with greyness) It's happening D:
The issues seem to start to occur close to Pridelands.

Edit 2: Now Pumbas nose, tusks and tail (and timone on him) are the only textures loadiing on him. This is genuinely creeping me out now :lol

Edit 3: Soras textures have now been lost permanently (on pridelands at least) and the journal puzzles are mostly grey. They really need to patch this ASAP

Edit 4: And it's back again after Scars battle.....I stand corrected, it disappeared yet again.....and it's back again

Just encountered my first bug doing gummi missions, the pop-up telling me what I unlocked was just grey. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come in the future.

Edit: Soras texture is popping in and out (to be replaced with greyness) It's happening D:

Edit 2: Now Pumbas nose, tusks and tail (and timone on him) are the only textures loadiing on him. This is genuinely creeping me out now :lol

Edit 3: Soras textures have now been lost permanently (on pridelands at least) and the journal puzzles are mostly grey. They really need to patch this ASAP

Edit 4: And it's back again after Scars battle.....I stand corrected, it disappeared yet again.....and it's back again

Watch it be intentional tie-in to KH3. Nomura goes full Kojima.

RPGCrazied

Well, they never fixed the sound issues for some with KHFM, that game saw no patches. But these seem game breaking, they better fix those before releasing in other countries.

Tsunamo

Those were really minor though, that and I think those were only on the English version. You're almost guaranteed to encounter these in 2 Final Mix and it affects the playability and enjoyment of the game.

And as was noted before DDDs Japanese version got a patch for a gamebreaking bug. (though I can't remember how long that took)

With that said I present to you the Squall of nightmares:
1794682_10152362979142826_122659532502971771_n.jpg

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Just finished port royal and I haven't seen any texture problems... yet.

One thing I've noticed is that the game is once again uncensored, meaning pirates with guns, Will's suicide threat, Xigbar's sniper rifle and some good old duck on duck butt pounding have been restored. :)

It makes sense seeing as they're using the cutscene data from the original version and not international/final mix.

One thing I've noticed is that the game is once again uncensored, meaning pirates with guns, Will's suicide threat, Xigbar's sniper rifle and some good old duck on duck butt pounding have been restored. :)

It makes sense seeing as they're using the cutscene data from the original version and not international/final mix.
Final Mix was uncensored tho.

Lnds500

Question is: will it remain uncensored when it comes out over here?

For some reason I beleive the answer is no but I can't remember why. Like we have had an indirect confirmation that it will be censored but I can't pinpoint from where..

Edit: I believe a classification board mentioned something about censorship (I wanna say Australia??)

Edit 2: yep. Australia (for some reason I can't paste the link [ipad]) just google "Australia classification 2.5 remix kingdom hearts" and you will find it..

Tsunamo

I still dunno what modified pertains to. I know it seems obvious but multiplatform for exclusives means it's just getting the liscence to use it again so it doesn't cost to release it on another platform down the road. So with our vague classifications i'm not 100% convinced.

On the other hand it wouldn't suprise me if the game was censored again.

Not too long after then is when they start to pop-up :/
Though after doing Trons first visit they seem to have stopped again, hopefully it stays that way.

Shahadan

Just bought a ps3 after listening to the 2.5 ost. Also because of some gifs people posted in the other thread. Fuck you people, and thank you, I'm really happy to replay these games.
Now to buy 1.5 and eat pasta for the rest of the month!

Roubjon

Just bought a ps3 after listening to the 2.5 ost. Also because of some gifs people posted in the other thread. Fuck you people, and thank you, I'm really happy to replay these games.
Now to buy 1.5 and eat pasta for the rest of the month!

Honestly sounds like an amazing month.

Only 85k...and 40~60% sold....

yea it's pretty bad. I wonder why..

Because it didn't contain KH1 obviously!

Honestly I dunno what made it such a big drop compared to 1.5. The audience certainly shouldn't be on PS4 in masses over there.

Who knows, maybe they really SHOULD have made that Vita port :lol.

But the thing really is, the japanese sales for this isn't THAT bad when you think about what will probably happen in the west. West plays a huge part on KH sales, especially the console ones. Now imagine that they are releasing it as a PS3 exclusive IN DECEMBER 2014! The console is basically fuckin dead in America at that point. Europe is a bit better but even here we are having the next gen adoption full force. ES FUCKIN SPECIALLY SINCE THE HOLIDAY SEASON IS AT THE SAME TIME AS YOUR FUCKIN GAME WHERE DA PS4 VERSION SE?

I remember when the game was announced as PS3 only and some people were like ''Japan''/''they want the whole series on one console'' (I never understood what sense this made since KH3 is next gen only). Well Japan didn't buy it and they crippled it overseas. Now to be honest I do not know how a possible PS4+PS3 (hell, maybe even XBO) version development would have affected the team doing it. Maybe they should have outsourced the project, who knows.

Of course it's still perfectly salvageable if people are still interested in a later PS4 port. There seems to be quite a few people on GAF saying stuff like ''waiting for the PS4 ultra collection'' ect. so hopefully there is a sizeable audience that they have not tapped with the PS3 release.

You can't really even compare it to something like Zesteria since that won't be much of a release for mainstream western gamers. KH is one of those rare JRPG games that have some clout with more casual market.

raven777

Because it didn't contain KH1 obviously!

Honestly I dunno what made it such a big drop compared to 1.5. The audience certainly shouldn't be on PS4 in masses over there.

Who knows, maybe they really SHOULD have made that Vita port :lol.

But the thing really is, the japanese sales for this isn't THAT bad when you think about what will probably happen in the west. West plays a huge part on KH sales, especially the console ones. Now imagine that they are releasing it as a PS3 exclusive IN DECEMBER 2014! The console is basically fuckin dead in America at that point. Europe is a bit better but even here we are having the next gen adoption full force. ES FUCKIN SPECIALLY SINCE THE HOLIDAY SEASON IS AT THE SAME TIME AS YOUR FUCKIN GAME WHERE DA PS4 VERSION SE?

I remember when the game was announced as PS3 only and some people were like ''Japan''/''they want the whole series on one console'' (I never understood what sense this made since KH3 is next gen only). Well Japan didn't buy it and they crippled it overseas. Now to be honest I do not know how a possible PS4+PS3 (hell, maybe even XBO) version development would have affected the team doing it. Maybe they should have outsourced the project, who knows.

Of course it's still perfectly salvageable if people are still interested in a later PS4 port. There seems to be quite a few people on GAF saying stuff like ''waiting for the PS4 ultra collection'' ect. so hopefully there is a sizeable audience that they have not tapped with the PS3 release.

You can't really even compare it to something like Zesteria since that won't be much of a release for mainstream western gamers. KH is one of those rare JRPG games that have some clout with more casual market.

If I remember correctly KH2 sold/rated better than KH1 in Japan..

yea it's really terrible move to release this for PS3 only in the west. They should have released PS4 version.

Tsunamo

Time for the final leg of Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix, then the cleanup after. I'm really sad, I don't want it to end even though i'm looking forward to playing Birth By Sleep Final Mix again :(

It's pretty sad how it did around half of 1.5, and yeah i'd say not having a PS4 version will hurt them. 1.5 still a good time to release it on PS3 but now it feels like it's multiplatform, PS4 or bust regardless of if they want the whole series on one platform. It'll still probably do better in the West. (what did 1.5 end up doing here?) It'll be interesting to see how DDDHD does with a PS4 version if they do one, and for that matter 3 eventually.

The collection itself is fantastic, one of the best HD remasters on PS3 with love and care put into it (ignoring those bugs and Okami HD) and i'm glad that it exists now rather than later.
I know it's only a HD collection and all but...

I can't believe something like Danganronpa spinoff is doing KH numbers nowdays :lol.
Times have changed :(
Or the series audience since they spread it across several platforms and games up until 1.5

Got my copy of 2.5 yesterday, but because I got home late, I ended up falling asleep during the Roxas prologue.
Doesn't help that said prologue is boring as shit, too

I really, really want to play BBS HD, but I decided I won't play it 'til I've beaten KHIIFM.

Shame about the sales in Japan. Between releasing only on one platform and a year into the lifecycle of PS4, I guess it wasn't going to set the world on fire to begin with.

Edit: 1.5 just recently became a Greatest Hits title, so it definitely had to have done at least 500k in the US, which is really good.

RPGCrazied

How hard is KH2FM's critical mode? Cause Proud on the first game was kinda hard sometimes, I did die a few times. The critical mode just sounds unforgiving.

How hard is KH2FM's critical mode? Cause Proud on the first game was kinda hard sometimes, I did die a few times. The critical mode just sounds unforgiving.
Well, it isn't a huuuge step up from proud but if you are having trouble with proud you definately will on critical. It's just about learning not to get hit and love reflect+guard.

Critical isn't really unforgiving unless you are just mashing X. It's just learning the patterns of bosses. Most bosses are still quite easy on critical and some of the harder ones are even a bit nerfed from vanilla KH2 like Demyx.

Critical really shows it's claws in the post game I feel. In the main story it's mainly few of the harder bosses and encounters while most of the game feels like lil beefed up proud. Some bosses that really gave me hell in proud back in the day like Xaldin were quite a cakewalk when you actually already knew how you are supposed to handle it and the biggest problem I had was against Roxas, not surprisingly the only new mandatory story boss.

Absent Silouettes can be pretty insane if you try them immediately when you can and don't know the patterns. I got rekt by pretty much all of them, especially Larxene.

In the end it's kinda hard to say how hard Critical is for different people. It's definately recommended if you are up for some challenge. You get to love the bonus abilities you get, my favourite being way less grinding for synthesis. I got Ultima Weapon almost immediately after finishing the game compared to KH1FM where it can be quite a project to get it.

I wish people would just post a news article every now and then and not assume that we have a direct feed into their brains..

http://kh13.com/news/kingdom-hearts-hd-25-remix-sells-84935-copies-in-japan

I wouldn't say it bombed. It's not that big a difference and yeah, it's a year since 1.5 + people have started jumping on PS4/X1.

Make a PS4 collection Square. Just do it.

Well I figured it was a bit redundant since the Media Create thread is always on the front page when it gets released. Sorry :(

I would say from 130k to 85k is quite a difference considering you'd imagine 2.5 actually has the more popular games for Japanese audience (especially BBS>Re:CoM) and nearing 50% drop is nothing to scoff at. But as I said it wouldn't be THAT big of a deal but the PS3 base for the game most definately was a decision made for Japan's sake and it didn't do too well and now they are stuck with a PS3 exclusive for western markets for December of 2014. No big publisher should have to be in a situation like that.

Sell through rate of 2.5 was 40-60% so they definately were expecting more sales. The funny thing is I expected 2.5 to ''bomb'' in the west but I didn't think it would drop in Japan at all. I really expected similar sales to 1.5.

Man, KHIIFM HD looks so damn sharp. It's one thing seeing it in videos and on stream, but man does it look good in person. I can only imagine how good of an upgrade BBS is going to be in comparison to the HD version.

That's my favorite thing about this compilation: With 1.5, once I was done with KH1FM, I was all "Well, time to slog through Re:CoM" whereas I have a load of stuff to do in KH2FM, and when that rollercoaster inevitably winds down, I have just as much awesome waiting for me in BBSFM.

Edit: Counterguard is so based

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I finished the hollow bastion fights and I'm currently doing the disney world revisits. No glitched textures spotted so far. Maybe I'm just lucky. :p

Can't wait to finish this up and play BBS for the first time.

Okay, either I accidentally picked Critical Mode or I am rusty as fuck at KHII because I've been consistently getting my ass handed to me left and right in Port Royal.

That level is a pain in the ass in general.

Frikkin' pirates, man.

Yeah, I forgot how annoying the light/dark dynamic with the pirates are. On one hand, it's a good way to learn the value of enemy positioning, but on the other, it's moot if your party members keeping pushing them into the dark.

Just beat Barbossa. I forgot I could just stun lock him with Blizzard and combo him to death.

Tsunamo

You guys are fast!
Okay, either I accidentally picked Critical Mode or I am rusty as fuck at KHII because I've been consistently getting my ass handed to me left and right in Port Royal.
Yeah I felt the same way, though it has been six years and Kingdom Hearts battlesystems are far removed from 2 now so I think it was bound to happen.
Dismiss is up!!!

courtesy of Cyberman65: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8UJVaXUzGo
It'll kill me but I think i'll wait and keep it a suprise until I get to that point in BBS FM.

Psxphile

Dismiss is up!!!

courtesy of Cyberman65: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8UJVaXUzGo
:>
:eek:
:O

Yeah, I forgot how annoying the light/dark dynamic with the pirates are. On one hand, it's a good way to learn the value of enemy positioning, but on the other, it's moot if your party members keeping pushing them into the dark.

Streamrunner taught us that you can use Chicken Little to drag those bastards into the light for easy pickin's.

Top Bottom