• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Tsunamo

The final phase of the final Xemnas battle is really starting to annoy me.
Triangle imputs don't seem to register well as reaction commands and Xemnas keeps on going out of bounds so I can't even hit him.

Edit: Finally got him. I'm dreading doing the data battlle against him again

Edit 2: Suprised the dub changed Axels "Man this ice-cream is really salty" which was a metaphor for him being sad line to "Man this ice-cream is really good!"
Complete opposite of what happened with Days Xion scene :lol

Edit 3: Any idea where chest 18 is in Land of The Dragons? KH2 guides tell me it's a AP up in the throne room but if that's the case I seem to have already got it and it hasn't registered in the journal :/
I think I ran into this issue before in Final Mix though so i'm thinking they might have moved it.

Nevermind, found it. That was really well hidden.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Finished KH2. Felt good to beat Roxas so efforlessly this time, now that I've actually been using drive forms constantly and had a ton of evasive moves. For the record, I finished the game in 30 hours and haven't noticed any missing textures. I may be extremely lucky but I think the issue might not be as prevalent as it seemed, or perhaps just manifests after prolonged play sessions without reloading.

I'm pretty anxious to play BBS now, but I'm thinking I'll just stick with KH2 for a bit and go for the extra bosses/events first. Hopefully making ultima weapon isn't the nightmare it was in KH1FM.

https://www.facebook.com/VGOOnline/...741828.197146980760/10152770815000761/?type=1

HYPE

edit: Actually meant to post in FF Community not KH

I guess it's kinda related anyway lol

I'd love to get the chance to meet Shimomura someday. Hands down my favorite VGM composer.

Caladrius

I'm pretty anxious to play BBS now, but I'm thinking I'll just stick with KH2 for a bit and go for the extra bosses/events first. Hopefully making ultima weapon isn't the nightmare it was in KH1FM.

It's fairly simple if you go out of your way to get the draw ring recipe. (Which just requires collecting the puzzle pieces). You can upgrade it to get the lucky ring recipe which increases your drop rate by 1.5x.

And yes, they stack. You can actually increase your drop rate by a factor of 8 (8.5 if you choose to activate limit form at any point). Needless to say this makes collecting virtually any kind of synthesis item (except for the Lost and Manifest Illusions) stupidly easy.

The hardest part of getting Ultima weapon is going through the cavern of remembrance (and by extension, grinding the drive forms required to progress) for its synthesis items, which you have to do anyway so you can collect two of the high-level materials.

Caladrius

IMO, the toughest part of synthing for Ultima Weapon is sitting through the hell that is KHII Atlantica to get that one Orichalcum+.

Thankfully our dear friend the Mute Button is always there for us.

Not that the action onscreen isn't cringeworthy, but that can't be helped.

Tsunamo

While I didn't like Atlantica (thank god journal completion only require syou enter the songs again then exit to count) I did enjoy the ursula battle musical, only one I could stand. Guilty pleasure I guess.

And it's been a long grind, but minus getting all synthesis recipes, beating the last 2 organisation datas, Terra, the last two paradox cups and getting a good score on them and the gummi stuff i've done everything. (sounds like i've still got alot to go when you read it like that though)

I thought my KH2 skills were rusty because it took me a couple of trys to beat sepiroth but I conquered the Cavern of Rememerance on my first try (whereas it took me a ton back in 08) so maybe not.
Finished KH2. Felt good to beat Roxas so efforlessly this time, now that I've actually been using drive forms constantly and had a ton of evasive moves. For the record, I finished the game in 30 hours and haven't noticed any missing textures. I may be extremely lucky but I think the issue might not be as prevalent as it seemed, or perhaps just manifests after prolonged play sessions without reloading.
I think you got lucky but I only had it occur at specific points in the game then it went back to normal, so it might be one of those things partually down to chance. And congrats!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Maxing out the drive forms wasn't as bad as I imagined once you find some good spots. Just have to do the last 2 levels of final form and I'm ready to go. :)

Tsunamo

The World That Never Was is amazing for Final Form and level grinding.

Edit: That's all organisation data battles down. I managed to do Xemnas first try suprisingly, guess my button mashing skills have improved over the years :p

luka

Loves Robotech S1
The World That Never Was is amazing for Final Form and level grinding.

Edit: That's all organisation data battles down. I managed to do Xemnas first try suprisingly, guess my button mashing skills have improved over the years :p

yeah, what I've been doing is equipping bond of flame and yakusoku no omamori with fire up and just going back and forth between the last save point and the hallway. at level 6 i can kill nearly everything in the room and have just enough drive left to make it back. just 2 or 3 more runs should do it.

also, just needed one more antiform to pop to get that trophy, but for whatever reason i haven't seen it since i finished the game. :p

edit: ah i see, final form reduces the chance of it appearing

Tsunamo

Alright! Finally completed the journal in Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix! I'm never doing that again
probably

Terra wasn't as difficult as I remember, just a pain with his final phase because on top of you having to have perfect timing to avoid his 3rd attack (unless you're gliding in final form) you have such a small window to attack him when he's not invinsible at that point.

After a bunch of tries I got super lucky and had beserk charge activated while I was in final form and managed to start comboing him. I got really lucky with him not activating his keyblade whip and beserk charge wore off when had about half a gauge left and finished up the combo with him having no HP left, can't believe I got so lucky.

Now i've just got my favorite part of the game Gummi Ship segments to finish up and i'll have platinumed and can move onto Birth By Sleep, could take awhile though.
yeah, what I've been doing is equipping bond of flame and yakusoku no omamori with fire up and just going back and forth between the last save point and the hallway. at level 6 i can kill nearly everything in the room and have just enough drive left to make it back. just 2 or 3 more runs should do it.

also, just needed one more antiform to pop to get that trophy, but for whatever reason i haven't seen it since i finished the game. :p

edit: ah i see, final form reduces the chance of it appearing
That's a good method, wish I had have thought of that earlier. I just spammed Thundaga and normal attacks.

Yeah, i'm sure you'll get it soon enough. It's only one more afterall.
It's so beautiful ;_;

Falk

that puzzling face
I found something else good in Taiwan

p9e6HuCl.jpg

(yes I bought it. Platinum here I come)

zeemumu

I'm just going to wait for the US release. I had to take a break from CoM in 1.5 for a while so I should probably go back and finish that.

Been out of the house so much, I haven't gotten a chance to play as much as I'd like to.

From what I'm hearing though, Exp Zero in BBS got rebalanced in the way everyone expected (Damage modifier similar to KH1FM HD). There's a video online of someone absolutely wrecking No Heart at Level 1 with the mine commands.

Even the nobody fights in the hallway before the garden of assemblage gave me a good shellacking...

Excluding Level 1 runs, that last nobody gauntlet in Cavern of Remembrance is probably the most difficult (non-boss) enemy encounter in the entire series.

Tsunamo

From what I'm hearing though, Exp Zero in BBS got rebalanced in the way everyone expected (Damage modifier similar to KH1FM HD). There's a video online of someone absolutely wrecking No Heart at Level 1 with the mine commands.
I'll probably just stick to my normal critical runs then. Might go through it eventually just to see how the changes are.
Excluding Level 1 runs, that last nobody gauntlet in Cavern of Remembrance is probably the most difficult (non-boss) enemy encounter in the entire series.
Agreed.

Edit: Platinum get!
http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/2950-KINGDOM-HEARTS-II-FINAL-MIX/JayTooCool
Now I can finally move onto Birth By Sleep FM HD.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I'm still trying to synth a lucky ring and all this grinding is really bumming me out. :p
I got the draw ring recipe and I after an hour or two of wandering around trying to find enemies that dropped what I need, I found that farming neoshadows at radiant garden for うるおいの結晶 to make 満たされる結晶 so i can upgrade draw to lucky. And I also need to go re-farm various other うるおい materials from different enemies after I had to make a second draw ring anyway despite already having one from the colosseum before it let me make one using the upgrade material. Once that's done I can start farming for ultima!

Now I remember why I never bothered platinuming 1.5

Tsunamo

I got pretty lucky with Soras ultima weapon, had most of the materials when I was at the point where I wanted to make it.

Farming to complete the synthesis lists though (stuff you can make, tick on a box for meeting certain goals) was horrible. Honestly though 1 Final Mix was probably much more worse with having to farm off of those new heartless.

Edit: Birth By Sleeps CG opening seems to scale up nicer than 2's CG does, guess being already in widescreen helped.

Edit 2: They really should have pulled Birth By Sleeps camera back a bit. That closeup is fine on a smaller TV, monitor or PSP but on a 1080p TV it looks a little off after 2.

I'm still trying to synth a lucky ring and all this grinding is really bumming me out. :p
I got the draw ring recipe and I after an hour or two of wandering around trying to find enemies that dropped what I need, I found that farming neoshadows at radiant garden for うるおいの結晶 to make 満たされる結晶 so i can upgrade draw to lucky. And I also need to go re-farm various other うるおい materials from different enemies after I had to make a second draw ring anyway despite already having one from the colosseum before it let me make one using the upgrade material. Once that's done I can start farming for ultima!

Now I remember why I never bothered platinuming 1.5

Do you play on critical? That helps a LOT for synthesis farming since you get dem 2 extra lucky lucky abilities. I trust you also have the one lucky lucky you get from leveling up Limit Form?

I think in critical mode lucky rings are a bit of an overkill even if you are going for just Ultima Weapon.

wrecking No Heart at Level 1 with the mine commands

This is the thing I don't like about BBS combat system as I have said a thousand times before, balance is all over the place. Shotlocks and mines are just so friggin OP compared to anything else you can do. Mines are literally the best command in the game and you get them early and cheap. Since there is no real AI to the enemies, only patterns, they just keep rushing into them. They deal a ridicilous amount of damage, relatively low cooldown and you are completely safe while the enemy deals the damage to himself.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Do you play on critical? That helps a LOT for synthesis farming since you get dem 2 extra lucky lucky abilities. I trust you also have the one lucky lucky you get from leveling up Limit Form?

I think in critical mode lucky rings are a bit of an overkill even if you are going for just Ultima Weapon.

I'm on proud. I have one luck up on all 3 characters, and 2 luck ups on the maxed limit form. I've been farming in limit form for a while but I'm wondering if it really makes a big enough difference considering how much longer everything takes due to limit's far lower maneuverability. When I'm in limit form I'm assuming that any support abilities that regular Sora equipped are ignored in favor of the form's abilities.

edit: heh, by the time i got everything i needed to make a lucky ring and get moogle to lv9, i had everything i needed to make ultima. so..yeah. :p

Caladrius

I'm on proud. I have one luck up on all 3 characters, and 2 luck ups on the maxed limit form. I've been farming in limit form for a while but I'm wondering if it really makes a big enough difference considering how much longer everything takes due to limit's far lower maneuverability. When I'm in limit form I'm assuming that any support abilities that regular Sora equipped are ignored in favor of the form's abilities.

edit: heh, by the time i got everything i needed to make a lucky ring and get moogle to lv9, i had everything i needed to make ultima. so..yeah. :p

Forms only override the drive form growth and attack abilities. Sora keeps all of his passives.

If you ever do critical it's still worthwhile to get a bunch of Lucky rings because power, defense and AP boosts, as well as the absent silhouette accessories all help immensely against the optional bosses. (And IIRC Hastega from Full Bloom+ also helps with some of the mushrooms)

Finished KHIIFM tonight. Did a standard run since I'm saving my Critical playthrough for the US release so I can get every difficulty trophy in one swoop. Moved on to BBSFM and plan on doing the optional content in both games once I've beaten it.

Some quick BBS HD impressions after beating Enchanted Dominion w/ Terra:

- Framerate isn't as smooth as KHIIFM. Not as choppy as the PSP version, but definitely notable coming off of KHIIFM (and 1.5 in general)

- Command Styles still get canceled out when you pause into the menu. Guess that was an intentional design decision instead of something attributed to PSP hardware constraints.

- D-Links seem to take a lot longer to load (Almost longer than the PSP version, I'd say) KHIIFM has a similar issue with Drive Forms, where they take way longer to load than in the PS2 version. Unlike KHIIFM HD, pause buffering during the loading doesn't seem to work; You just have to sit and wait. (Time is still frozen when the D-Link is being loaded, thankfully.) Actually, pause buffering does work. Doesn't matter though since again, time freezes anyway.

- Definitely plays a lot better on a DS3. Command scrolling being mapped to the shoulder buttons are a godsend, and KHII style camera controls are exactly what this game needed.

- Soft reset is still retained. L + R + Start + Select, just like the PSP version.

Will update as I go along.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Played a bit of BBS and first impressions are that I definitely miss kh2's super wide fov. I also can't wait for kh3 when we can finally get a new theme song that isn't Hikari and Passion!

More BBS stuff:

- Radiant Garden is still the best world in this game.

- Holy shit, the Trinity Armor fight is a whole new ballgame now that the frame rate is actually stable. You can't abuse the slowdown to easily dodge that huge sweeping laser now. You have to legitimately time your dodge. Definitely an improvement over the PSP version, where the hardware was more or less brought to it's knees.

- They really should have retained the Data Install feature. The load times for command styles and D-Links are comparable to the PSP version without any data installed. I almost always played with a full install or just straight off of the memory stick, so I'm used to more snappier loading as far as BBS goes.

Falk

that puzzling face
Finally back home. Undecided if I should go KH2 or BBS first. Most likely platinuming whatever I start before going to the other.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Sephiroth was...really easy. Way easier than his KH1 counterpart. Finished all the mushroom minigames too. I'm still only level 84, but I guess I'll give lingering will a shot now.

Tsunamo

Sephiroth was...really easy. Way easier than his KH1 counterpart. Finished all the mushroom minigames too. I'm still only level 84, but I guess I'll give lingering will a shot now.
Good luck!
One thing to keep in mind is he only has small windows where you can attack/combo him and pay attention to his moveset. Once you get the hang of them the first phase shouldn't be too much trouble (though the second phase will)
- They really should have retained the Data Install feature. The load times for command styles and D-Links are comparable to the PSP version without any data installed. I almost always played with a full install or just straight off of the memory stick, so I'm used to more snappier loading as far as BBS goes.
Agreed. I data installed onto my PSP (granted it was a 1000 so load times probably were a bit slower even with that) and wasn't expecting the PS3 times to take about as long, along with the better framerate it was one of the improvements I was looking forward to on PS3. It really is a shame.

Edit: That's terra done. Terranorts meteor spam can be quite a pain if you don't have any focus to do your shot lock on top of not having leaf bracer, second chance, and once more abilitys
Edit 2: Trinity report still keeps the in-game trophies from BBS and BBSFM, i'm glad that they didn't replace them with the 2.5 ones.

aravuus

- Framerate isn't as smooth as KHIIFM. Not as choppy as the PSP version, but definitely notable coming off of KHIIFM (and 1.5 in general)

Goddamn it, what's up with the shitty ports SE

Goddamn it, what's up with the shitty ports SE

I should be clear: The port itself is pretty great, as far as BBS is concerned. No texture glitch nonsense from what I can see (Though I never ran into that particular KHIIFM HD glitch, either) and the game runs better than the PSP version 95% of the time. The other 5%, it runs about the same (Pretty much any fight involving a bunch of those flying saucer esque Unversed)

It's not the huge performance upgrade I had hoped for, but it's definitely better than the PSP version, load time annoyances aside.

Edit: Maybe it's because I haven't played the PSP version in so long, but I feel like Ars Solum has way more super armor frames now.

Malyse

So Marvel and Star Wars.

The big argument that people have against including Marvel and Star Wars is that the universes are too big to organically incorporate into Kingdom Hearts. And for the most part I agree, specifically in reference to KH3. There's a hell of a lot of plot to get through in 3, what with unfolding the ramifications of Xehanort's machinations and the complications that 3D added. Plus outside of the original Mickey gang and the Wizards, (and to a lesser extent the Princesses), Disney characters only come from movie worlds; cameo duty is the domain of Square.

That being said I don't think they should be excised entirely. What I think could work is using Big Hero 6 and Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion. That way you can do the same thing as has been done before (Disney movie based world) and you get the added benifit of the tighter narrative in which to insert Sora. Plus if the story is like in KH2 (visit once for Disney, twice for Square) the second visit can be used to draw in the other universe characters like Spidey, Luke, and the like.

How would you like a Rebels and Big Hero 6 world?

I still say just using the Death Star from Episode 4 is enough for a working Star Wars world. Easy to introduce all the characters and motivations in a single location. And not only do you have all the characters in there you also have iconic TIE fighters and, of course, the Death Star itself. If we only get a cameo rather than a world then it has to be Yoda! Or Vader as a superboss.

Hard to say about Rebels. I haven't seen any of the episodes and I think the most logical entry point to SW would be the very first movie with the characters people recognize. But I mean if they can make a working world using Rebels as a base then sure, why not?

As for Big Hero 6 I have no idea what my thoughts are on that one. I haven't followed that movie at all but I do think unlike Star Wars the Marvel universe could probably be better suited as clever ''cameos'' at first rather than having New York as a full blown Spider Man world or something like that. However I think it was Badcrumble that suggested Asgard as a possible world and honestly that sounds like something that could work pretty well as a standalone world.

Considering BH6 is relatively new by the time KH3 comes out it definately has a chance of appearing if it performs well. It also falls right into that slot where they still have time to either remove or add worlds so they can see the reactions from fans and

One of the most interesting things about KH3 is that there really are only 2 absolute shoe in worlds I can think of: Toy Story and Frozen. Those two will absolutely positively happen. But other than that who the fuck knows. There are tons of options from the more recent Pixar/Disney flicks, still a few well known old classics (with GMD being my personal hope but Jungle Book being the most probable one most likely considering they were going to put it in BBS. Similar to what they did with Pinocchio Days->DDD.) I hope they have a decent amount of worlds this time too to get in those fan favourites, new stuff and some curveballs like Tron was.

But the most important thing of all as always is that they make sure they can make the worlds work well before they implement them.

Falk

that puzzling face
Has there ever been a represented franchise in the game that didn't start with the first feature or equivalent?

On that grounds alone EP4 makes sense.

So Marvel and Star Wars.

The big argument that people have against including Marvel and Star Wars is that the universes are too big to organically incorporate into Kingdom Hearts. And for the most part I agree, specifically in reference to KH3. There's a hell of a lot of plot to get through in 3, what with unfolding the ramifications of Xehanort's machinations and the complications that 3D added. Plus outside of the original Mickey gang and the Wizards, (and to a lesser extent the Princesses), Disney characters only come from movie worlds; cameo duty is the domain of Square.

That being said I don't think they should be excised entirely. What I think could work is using Big Hero 6 and Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion. That way you can do the same thing as has been done before (Disney movie based world) and you get the added benifit of the tighter narrative in which to insert Sora. Plus if the story is like in KH2 (visit once for Disney, twice for Square) the second visit can be used to draw in the other universe characters like Spidey, Luke, and the like.

How would you like a Rebels and Big Hero 6 world?
I don't think that a Star Wars or Marvel entry would have to include the entirety of the universe - it's not like any of the KH entries of whichever other series are considered canonical or contain their entire supporting cast or set of locations.

KH versions of whichever Disney-owned stories are ALWAYS really heavily abridged. That's fine. The issue with Star Wars specifically is the need to abridge it solely to the story of a single planet (e.g. Dagobah, Tatooine, Cloud City, Endor, or the Death Star, most likely). That's all pretty doable for a little mini-story telling essentially one chapter of the story from out of one of the films.

As for Marvel, I *do* think that any of the Earth-based Marvel stuff is basically out of the question (because very geographically specific Earthly locales have generally been kinda a non-thing - the closest we've really gotten is Big Ben in KH1 and Paris in DDD - and *modern-day* geographically specific Earthly locales are even more out of the question). Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor, though, are pretty ripe for KH-style adaptation.

[Yes, I know that Port Royal is a real place that used to exist and so is Mount Olympus, but for all intents and purposes we can consider those locations in KH purely mythological and only as faithfully adapted as the Land of Dragons was for, like, China].

Has there ever been a represented franchise in the game that didn't start with the first feature or equivalent?

On that grounds alone EP4 makes sense.

Don't you mean Phantom Menace? Eh heh heh >:-]

Not really. Holloweentown didn't cover Christmas in KH1 and Atlantica was entirely under the sea.

Honestly, most of the *best* Disney-world mini-stories in KH are the ones that tell their own story and don't stick so closely to just retelling the film/property they're based on.

Falk

that puzzling face
Not really. Holloweentown didn't cover Christmas in KH1 and Atlantica was entirely under the sea.

It would be more accurate to say later KH games more appropriately represented the stories in the respective franchises better than KH1, but yeah.

Top Bottom