• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

aravuus

Muntu's Super Duper Extra Spicy Also Diabetes Sweet Fuck You Kingdom Hearts 3 For Sony Playstation 4 Entertainment Video Game System Wish_list:
- Be good
- Nomura, don't fuck this up
- be GOOD
- BE NOT A FUCK UP

I've pretty much abandoned hope story-wise. I've probably said this before, but I love stories about time travel. LOVE them. Pretty sure I've seen every movie and show so far that has had time travel as at least a major plot point. I'm now going through books.

But DDD's ending was such a fucking mess that I highly doubt KH3's story is going to be something I'll like.

Malyse

Muntu's Super Duper Extra Spicy Also Diabetes Sweet Fuck You Kingdom Hearts 3 For Sony Playstation 4 Entertainment Video Game System Wish_list:
- Be good
- Nomura, don't fuck this up
- be GOOD
- BE NOT A FUCK UP

I've pretty much abandoned hope story-wise. I've probably said this before, but I love stories about time travel. LOVE them. Pretty sure I've seen every movie and show so far that has had time travel as at least a major plot point. I'm now going through books.

But DDD's ending was such a fucking mess that I highly doubt KH3's story is going to be something I'll like.

3 is all time travel.

I would say "have a ton of post game content", but I don't think there's been a vanilla release of a mainline KH game that wasn't (postgame) content starved in someway. The good stuff usually gets added in US/PAL/Final Mix releases. I expect the same to happen with KHIII.

I'm getting some weird audio popping issues with Birth by Sleep here and there. I never got any with KHII. Apparently, the speakers on my TV are on their way out, because I'm getting the same issues when watching normal TV. Disregard this.

And they really seemed to have fixed the framerate where it counts; Ventus' first boss doesn't cause any framedrops & slowdown with that one attack where it launches a bunch of bombs on the battlefield anymore. I wonder if Mirage Arena will run smoother now, too.

Tsunamo

Don't pull a DDD with the plot. The whole series has builtup to this game so i'd like for it to be good sendoff (even if it will continue afterwards)
We'll see how it goes though.
I would say "have a ton of post game content", but I don't think there's been a vanilla release of a mainline KH game that wasn't (postgame) content starved in someway. The good stuff usually gets added in US/PAL/Final Mix releases. I expect the same to happen with KHIII.

And they really seemed to have fixed the framerate where it counts; Ventus' first boss doesn't cause any framedrops & slowdown with that one attack where it launches a bunch of bombs on the battlefield anymore. I wonder if Mirage Arena will run smoother now, too.
I was thinking the other day about this and realised there'll probably be another Final Mix (which the West probably wont get all the content of) aslong as it adds a decent amount of content no complaints here though.

Yeah, so far the boss battles that gave me really bad framerate issues on my PSP run with no drops on the PS3 version. I've only done a couple of arenas (plan to leave that to my Aqua run and come back to them late or post-game, which i'm at now anyway) but so far so good in the framerate department. I wonder how the Monstro battle will hold up now.

Caladrius

Alright, KH3

Multiple interchangeable playable characters
4+ party members on the field at a time
All new and good-looking keyblades
Story actually wraps up all existing plot threads. Introduces jack-shit.
No Atlantica
Hercules either gone or takes place in a completely different area.
Aladdin and the King of Thieves pls
Lots of new Disney Worlds
Darth Vader Superboss
Harder Sephiroth fight
Xehanort humiliated and BTFO
Final Mixes rendered obsolete in favor of DLC.
Sora/Ventus is canon

Falk

that puzzling face
Final Mixes rendered obsolete in favor of DLC.

Final Mix as a concept is no different from director's cut.

Having it as DLC instead of a separate game would be great. That's more of a delivery changeup than a content/concept changeup.

No idea how that'd affect profit margin though.

aravuus

4+ party members on the field at a time

This too, but I want to add that I'd like the party members to be worth something. I guess I mainly want them to actually deal damage too.

I've always liked playing a single character of an evenly strong group in RPGs and let the AI take care of the rest of the characters. I want the AI to be able to take care of themselves, I don't want to carry all the battles. FF XII was great with this stuff, every character was strong, I could just play as Vaan and.. I dunno, I guess pretend I, as a player, was Vaan, rather than the whole party.

Super excited for Dragon Age Inquisition because of this too.

I dunno, kind of hard to put my thoughts into words right now. I just got up and I think I slept maybe 4 hours last night so let me get some caffeine in me first.

e: if i could, i'd probably only control one character in turn based jrpgs too. like in persona 3 and 4.

KH 3:
-No Atlantica, Olympus Colosseum, Wonderland, and Agrabah
-Fuck Agrabah
-Fuck the Olympus Colosseum
-Conclusion to the Saix and Axel/ Lea and Isa storyline
-Roxas coming back
-Xion coming back
-Playable Kairi
-Playable Riku
-Aqua coming back
-Xehanort dies
-Tons of Keyblades
-Tons of post-game
-Pretty graphics
-Great soundtrack
-BBS-like combat

Falk

that puzzling face
Is it wrong of me to want KH3 to explore more interactive music concepts? I mean we're no longer really limited by CPU cycles (relatively speaking) and that's an area where Japan still has quite a bit to learn from western games.

KH did something few JRPGs of its time ever did with its segue between field and battle themes. No reason why KH3 can't push that envelope again, being next-gen and all.

Golnei

Is it wrong of me to want KH3 to explore more interactive music concepts? I mean we're no longer really limited by CPU cycles (relatively speaking) and that's an area where Japan still has quite a bit to learn from western games.

KH did something few JRPGs of its time ever did with its segue between field and battle themes. No reason why KH3 can't push that envelope again, being next-gen and all.

Variable mix stuff would be great to see - even just in S-E games, it greatly enhanced Nier and was a nice addition to XIII-2 and Drakengard 3. Though in Kingdom Hearts I'm not sure how it'd interact with the world / battle music dynamic, short of abolishing battle themes entirely and only using a world theme with several seamless variations. In any case, it'd probably be fun to play around with in the direction of gummi ship and boss battle segments; which wouldn't exactly be uncharted territory - after all, something like Metal Gear Rising's much-lauded battle music direction could be seen as a more sophisticated version of the way Darkness of the Unknown and U.B. incorporated several looping segments tied to the player's progress.

Falk

that puzzling face
Darkness of the Unknown technically was 3 discrete pieces of music stitched together for the OST though. But yeah, I get what you mean.

Tsunamo

Speaking of Namine i'm prettysure they'll bring her back for 3, even if through Kairi. she had a presence in DDD, Sora still has to thank her properly (c'mon Sora, even your data self has done it) and her model since blank points seems new and older/taller compared to her old ones.
So Tsunamo how ass exactly were the Journal/Gummi trophies?
Honestly not as bad as I thought they'd be. You only have to b-rank the 13 heartless to get their journal entries completed so that wasn't too much of a hassle. By the time i'd become level 99 and leveled up all forms/summons I had most of the synthesis materials I needed for journal entries (though I did still have about 13 to cleanup and get which required a bit of farming but it only took a hour and a halfishish and I had to cross-reference a translation guide and the game so that dragged it out a little)

The main difficulty that comes with completing the journal is the paradox cups and getting good enough scores on them. Spamming stitch and Peter pan works fine on the first two but after that you have the problem of having a maximum of 8 drive gauges so you can only do two summons without killing anything and the last one comes from beating Lingering Sentiment, making it difficult to hit the mark you need if you don't have that final one, i'd actually recommend doing those cups last so you have a high chance of getting the score you need with 9 drive gauges.

Lingering Sentiment is a really difficult secret boss, possibly the hardest and most well designed in the series so that'll be the biggest hurdle that people will face, took me awhile to break through. The 13 organsation data battles also have to be done but they're pretty tame once you get used to their strategys and exploiting them.

Those three will be and were the biggest hurdles I came across in completing the journal, everything else was just time consuming and pretty tame compared to the farming the KHFM journal completion took.

The good news about Gummi ships is all blue-prints don't require you to S rank every mission, so it wont be as much of a nightmare as KH1 gummi missions. The EX missions are quite annoying though due to having to use a unique design everytime to go with the mission requirements and having to do one per world for the trophy (so 9 I think?)

I basically just took a couple of parts out of my usual one while keeping the weapons and adding whatever was required, seemed to do the trick for most.
http://www.finalfantasykingdom.net/kh2gummigarage.php
The gummi designs on this page really helped me S-rank a bunch of the missions I needed to.

They weren't too difficult, they just require a littlebit of knowledge about making a gummi ship powerful enough while being able to tradeoff what you need (abilitys also help with that) KH1FM's gummi missions felt like hell compared to this.

tl;dr minus those three things mentioned (and i'd say if you can get through lingering sentiment you can get through the other two without too much effort) it felt more time consuming than KH1 did but less tedious and way more funner. Also me playing on critical probably made stuff much more difficult than it should have been for others.
Hercules either gone or takes place in a completely different area.

I platinumed at about 65 hours in.
After the Rock Titan battle footage I suspect this one will cover the battle of the Titans and Herc so hopefully they go for a new area for that.
Final Mix as a concept is no different from director's cut.

Having it as DLC instead of a separate game would be great. That's more of a delivery changeup than a content/concept changeup.

No idea how that'd affect profit margin though.
I remember when I hoped that Birth By Sleep Final Mix would be some sort of DLC/Add-On instead of another full retail release :(

DLC/expansions are more widely accepted now and makes so much more sense so you never know. Would suck if the West has to miss out another one again.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
KHI Hercules took place in the Colosseum
KHII Hercules was in the Underworld
BBS Hercules was early Colosseum (could count as Phil's training ground like the movie)
So the next logical step is Mt. Olympus where we will finally see Zeus.

zeemumu

KHI Hercules took place in the Colosseum
KHII Hercules was in the Underworld
BBS Hercules was early Colosseum (could count as Phil's training ground like the movie)
So the next logical step is Mt. Olympus where we will finally see Zeus.

If they don't get Rip Torn, I don't want to see Zeus.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm a slowpoke and I just finished summer vacation, got to the Party Select menu and aufajksdjfksjdkfj the menu is 60fps

why Square Enix, why must you tantalize me with what could have been

does it work properly?

1.5 had gimped functionality on the sticks. only left/right/up/down worked properly. bad deadzones i assume

Tested Birth by Sleep so far, works more or less flawlessly. Doesn't seem to have the analog deadzone issues using a DS4 had with 1.5. I'll get back to you in regards to KHII.

botty

Banned
u wanna fight
i was super tired of young blade and i love blood diamonds :c

i guess its better than being called "Dream Drop"

amirite?

z63MU.gif

xo DD

Also, I watched the DAYS movie in 1.5 finally. Gotta say, it really holds up. The scenes between Axel and his blue haired ex-boyfriend were so good.

Tsunamo

That new dismissed is brilliant. Made an already perfect piece in my books even better.
young.........blood diamonds
Is that some kind of blade? :p

Edit: Was Blank Points pre-rendered or badly encoded originally? It doesn't look too bad in HD but it certainly hasn't come out as nice as everything else in Birth By Sleep which is a shame

Edit 2: And that's the secret episode done. I forgot how fun it was, shame it has to come to an end again :(
Ah well, least i've still got my cleanup to platinum to do. Also the finishing on Critical difficulty trophy doesn't unlock until you finish the Secret Episode.

That new dismissed is brilliant. Made an already perfect piece in my books even better.Is that some kind of blade? :p

Edit: Was Blank Points pre-rendered or badly encoded originally? It doesn't look too bad in HD but it certainly hasn't come out as nice as everything else in Birth By Sleep which is a shame

Edit 2: And that's the secret episode done. I forgot how fun it was, shame it has to come to an end again :(
Ah well, least i've still got my cleanup to platinum to do. Also the finishing on Critical difficulty trophy doesn't unlock until you finish the Secret Episode.

Dismiss's new arrangement is the one 2.5 track I haven't spoiled myself on. I want to go in on that one fresh.

Blank Points was originally pre-rendered on PSP, so I figure it's probably look about the same as Re:CoM's cutscenes do in 1.5.

Tsunamo

Dismiss's new arrangement is the one 2.5 track I haven't spoiled myself on. I want to go in on that one fresh.

Blank Points was originally pre-rendered on PSP, so I figure it's probably look about the same as Re:CoM's cutscenes do in 1.5.
Yeah I did the same, made for a nice treat keeping it a suprise until the very end.

Ah, figured that was the case. And yeah, it's about the same quality as the Re:CoM ones, still pretty decent considering they're pre-rendered though.

Either Dream Drop Distance retroactively clouded my judgement or it was tweaked (I'm almost sure it's the former), but there's actually a lot more melee-induced hitstun in Birth by Sleep than I remember.

Have I mentioned how awesome it is to have Birth by Sleep on a console now? It actually holds up a bit better than I thought as a console game, even in spite of the scaled down worlds. Of course, it probably helps that it matches the content density of the other two mainline titles.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
There's one other thing I'm looking forward to when 2.5 comes out. "This is how you DON'T play Kingdom Hearts II FM".
He'd fuck up hard on Demyx and Xaldin, he'd challenge the Lingering Will twice and give up (he did the same with Sephiroth in the first) and there will be a lot of annoying singing...

There's one other thing I'm looking forward to when 2.5 comes out. "This is how you DON'T play Kingdom Hearts II FM".
He'd fuck up hard on Demyx and Xaldin, he'd challenge the Lingering Will twice and give up (he did the same with Sephiroth in the first) and there will be a lot of annoying singing...

I expect Roxas to fuck his (and a lot of other people's) shit up something fierce, too.

Malyse

i guess its better than being called "Dream Drop"

amirite?

z63MU.gif

xo DD

Also, I watched the DAYS movie in 1.5 finally. Gotta say, it really holds up. The scenes between Axel and his blue haired ex-boyfriend were so good.

Bitty plz.

Go back to Disney Infinity.

Tsunamo

The Vanitas Remnant battle is like music to my ears without the framerate dropping and not giving me cheap deaths because of it.
I look forward to the eventual video reviews showing how bad the reviewers of the game play to go with their score.

rofl

edit:

:( Here come the non-loading textures

Can now confirm restarting fixes it.
I just did the loop de loop in twilight town from grind rail to grind rail but that method's hilarious.

And dang that wouldn't look pretty going through the gummi stages like that, good thing resetting fixed it.

Village

Kh3 wish list

-magic mahvel shit
-Oswald
-multiple playable characters
My every kh wish list untill it happens list

- effing OSWALD

Tsunamo

I cartwheeled on the MF battle so much I got a level up xD

With the Final Mix nerf and the better framerate he's cakewalk once you get the timing right. With Aqua anyway, can't imagine how the battle will go with Terra and Ven doing it.

Top Bottom