• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Yeah, I'd be a little surprised if this didn't happen.

As an aside, I absolutely love that the series does little previews of what to come like that. It uses one of my favorite game tropes (Optional super bosses) and uses them to create hype for whatever they have planned next. I'd say more series should ape that, but then I remember that there are very few series that could feasibly ever work in.

Only other series I can think of that very clearly implants a tease for future games in each entry is the Batman: Arkham series.

And yeah, I love that stuff (the lack of it in DDD - Julius is piss-easy and has nothing to do with teasing KH3 - is also pretty much a bummer, but it's fairly clearly not on the "full" KH1/2/BBS scale even if it's got significant plot revelations in it.

Getting medals in Mirage Arena seems like a lot more of a hassle now. They even somewhat nerfed the Risky Riches/Megaflare trick since you have to take time collecting Munny to get the full Medal payout (Which defeats the purpose of it being a quick & easy method)

I just want to be able to fight Armor of the Master and No Heart already =/

Getting medals in Mirage Arena seems like a lot more of a hassle now. They even somewhat nerfed the Risky Riches/Megaflare trick since you have to take time collecting Munny to get the full Medal payout (Which defeats the purpose of it being a quick & easy method)

Does the Arena still have its own version of Rumble Racing and Command Board? The only point in including those there was to have a multiplayer version of each, so I kinda hope not.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Only other series I can think of that very clearly implants a tease for future games in each entry is the Batman: Arkham series.

And yeah, I love that stuff (the lack of it in DDD - Julius is piss-easy and has nothing to do with teasing KH3 - is also pretty much a bummer, but it's fairly clearly not on the "full" KH1/2/BBS scale even if it's got significant plot revelations in it.

If the rumors about DDD HD/FM is true, then I expect a new boss to do this.

Falk

that puzzling face
I would think a DDD HD would be more like a Re:CoM PS2 than a "Final Mix", since some systems need a major overhaul for the transition.

edit: And to pre-empt the "BUT THE REQUIRED CHANGES AREN'T THAT MASSIVE", Re:CoM wasn't TOO different from CoM.

Well, the whole combat-in-3D thing aside.

Does the Arena still have its own version of Rumble Racing and Command Board? The only point in including those there was to have a multiplayer version of each, so I kinda hope not.

Yeah, they're still there. You need to beat them to level up the arena (Though Command Board's requirements were altered in Final Mix; In the US/PAL versions, you leveled it up for each new board you won a game on. In Final Mix, you get a level up for beating any board 1,3,5 and 7 times, meaning 7 quick games on the initial Command Board stage should get you those requirements relatively quickly.)

Villain's Vendetta also got moved from a Level 30 event to Level 25 to make room for Armor of the Master and No Heart, so you can technically get Ultima Weapon earlier in Final Mix as well. Still wish they made it less of a grind, though.

Yeah, they're still there. You need to beat them to level up the arena (Though Command Board's requirements were altered in Final Mix; In the US/PAL versions, you leveled it up for each new board you won a game on. In Final Mix, you get a level up for beating any board 1,3,5 and 7 times, meaning 7 quick games on the initial Command Board stage should get you those requirements relatively quickly.)

Villain's Vendetta also got moved from a Level 30 event to Level 25 to make room for Armor of the Master and No Heart, so you can technically get Ultima Weapon earlier in Final Mix as well. Still wish they made it less of a grind, though.

And are some of the enemy HP bars a bit nerfed? I don't think I've seen a fully summary of what got rebalanced about the Arena.

And are some of the enemy HP bars a bit nerfed? I don't think I've seen a fully summary of what got rebalanced about the Arena.

Regular enemy health bars seem about the same, but there's been an across the board health nerf for all Mirage Arena bosses. I'll try to see if I can have some sort of changelist up by the weekend since no one else seems to have done so on the 'net.

I would think a DDD HD would be more like a Re:CoM PS2 than a "Final Mix", since some systems need a major overhaul for the transition.

edit: And to pre-empt the "BUT THE REQUIRED CHANGES AREN'T THAT MASSIVE", Re:CoM wasn't TOO different from CoM.

Honestly, DDD would mostly need some ability/progression systems overhauls - the way passive abilities are handled, mostly. I'd say have Sora permanently learn *all* passive abilities instead of linking them so heavily to Dream Eaters, and maybe even have Command Melding come back too. I'd drastically boost the amount of AP that Dream Eaters gain, too, and kill the water barrel minigame shit dead. That'd take care of a lot of stuff. It'd mean you could pick Dream Eaters based 100% on their effectiveness in battle and the quality of their limit break/overdrive sorta moves and not really have to worry so much about grinding up their affection levels or experience or picking them based on passive abilities.

Apart from that, I'd turn Reality Shift into some simple L2+R2+analog stick business. Easy enough, I think.

That'd largely deal with the majority of dual-screen and touchscreen mechanics in the whole game. Doesn't solve the problem of its relative dearth of content, though (and of course the Drop system, deeply flawed as it is, is pretty impossible to fix, as is FlowMotion [unless attached to a timed meter?], since you actually *need* to abuse jump-chaining to get to a few areas in TWTNW).

Fix all that shit and I'd pay $20 for it or double-dip on a KH 1.5 + 2.5 + DDD PS4 collection, and it wouldn't take too much in the way of game design or asset creation work. Could be doable before KH3 comes out.

Of course, if they want to actually solve DDD's biggest problem (the total dearth of content), that'll take a good deal more work and likely wouldn't be possible until after KH3, I suspect.

Caladrius

Yeah, they're still there. You need to beat them to level up the arena (Though Command Board's requirements were altered in Final Mix; In the US/PAL versions, you leveled it up for each new board you won a game on. In Final Mix, you get a level up for beating any board 1,3,5 and 7 times, meaning 7 quick games on the initial Command Board stage should get you those requirements relatively quickly.).

They had one thing that needed fixing the most and they didn't do anything to it.

Oi.

SEE YA LATER MOTHERFUCKING ALLIGATOR

Tsunamo

It's on Standard. I'm actually saving Critical for English. Main reason I'm 'powering' through the game in Japanese is to brush up on kanji and I'd rather concentrate on that. Was even wondering if I should do Data XIII and Lingering Will this playthrough, but figured I might as well. I actually don't foresee it being that hard though. The main snag honestly was his DM 3rd phase where my old technique just wouldn't work, till I swapped to something else which worked 100% of the time. A good amount of that 4 hours was spent away from the console raging irl.

re: final battle reaction commands: Am I the only one who spammed triangle both in the PS2 version and now for his aerial combo? D: It still 'works'.

edit: Cool guys don't look at explosions (I'm easily amused)
I am critical proud of you Falk. :')

And yeah, you're not the only one. I still always miss the first imput though and get hit (and more in 2.5)

Cool guys just do their idol animations instead.

This is the impression I got, but that still would give us a chance of getting balance changes which is what i'd want from a DDDHD.

Re:CoM did have a redux of 100 Acre Wood giving it proper minigames and more sleights (even if some do break the game) though which was nice.

No Heart gives you 1000 points and if you meet the requirements (which I have no idea what they are, but I got it) to get 2x you can get 2000 in one run so if you've got the strategy down it's not too bad a method.

Personally though I just redid the secret board a few times, by the time I had done everyrthing else I almost met the 9999 so it worked out quick and around 500+ medals in less than 20 minutes.

I'm fairly confident in them adding at least one new scene to the HD version of DDD and/or a secret boss teasing it if DDDHD comes out next year. I mean heck, we even got two new scenes added to Re:coded in 2.5 so it feels like a given to me.

It's Aqua's time to shine!!
Aqua's taking a tour of Disney Land in the Dark Realm confirmed.

I still kinda suspect that if and when BBS vol 2 happens, it'll be a way of explaining stuff about whoever the villain will be after Xehanort.
Pre-DDD I assumed it would be a way to reveal Young Xehanort or whatever new form of him was coming back but now it's pretty likely that'll be the case, especially if it happens after 3.

Andrefpvs

I'd just be happy if I never had to pet a Dream Eater again.

Regular enemy health bars seem about the same, but there's been an across the board health nerf for all Mirage Arena bosses. I'll try to see if I can have some sort of changelist up by the weekend since no one else seems to have done so on the 'net.

Much appreciated!

KH3 Boss Rush mode: Yay or Nay?

I dunno about boss rush specifically, but *replayable* bosses would be great. They don't need to be pushed on me sequentially.

KH2FM's Data Battles were great, and so was KH1's Coliseum (as far as re-fighting *some* stuff is concerned). I'd love a mode that'd let you re-fight a powered-up version of any storyline boss, though.

I want some revamps on the reaction command system and the ability to dual wield without drive forms.

I don't really want reaction commands to be a thing at all, honestly. I mean, yeah, give the triangle button something to do, but... ehhhhh. All that context-sensitive stuff isn't a great idea, IMO.

I prefer that, in BBS and DDD, the "menu confirm" button is separated out from the "attack" button.

Falk

that puzzling face
Reaction Command is so 'part of the experience' that I don't see it going away any time soon.

Maybe make it a little more skill-based than mashing triangle. Making it so that in any difficulty other than beginner, you can fail a reaction command by pressing too early, for example. I mean, it kind of is that way in almost every other mechanical aspect, especially blocking/dodging.

(Mushroom XIII #1 was a little like this tbh)

Reaction Command is so 'part of the experience' that I don't see it going away any time soon.

Maybe make it a little more skill-based than mashing triangle. Making it so that in any difficulty other than beginner, you can fail a reaction command by pressing too early, for example. I mean, it kind of is that way in almost every other mechanical aspect, especially blocking/dodging.

(Mushroom XIII #1 was a little like this tbh)

Is it a part of the experience? It's only in one game in the whole series, and that game came out a long, long time ago.

zeemumu

Is it a part of the experience? It's only in one game in the whole series, and that game came out a long, long time ago.

The idea of "press button to do cool thing" has been prevalent in a couple. Not always in the form of cutscene commands, but stuff like the normal ability commands. They changed those to reaction commands because having to scroll down your menu in the middle of a fight was frustrating.

I want the Triangle button to do cool things, sure, but I'm not a big fan of context-sensitive moves. I'd much, much rather give the playable character two different attack buttons; look at all of the possibilities that that opens up in Bayonetta, for example (not that I'm saying that KH should play exactly like Bayo).

I just want the controls to be really rigorously consistent.

Finally beat Lingering Will. Still one of the best optional bosses of all time. Feels so good when you learn how to reliably guard/avoid the entirety of his desperation move.

Finally beat the Data Org. XIII. Data Vexen is seriously the most obnoxious thing. Looping Data Axel's AI through the Reaction Command is always good fun, though.

Going to probably play a little Birth by Sleep either tonight or tomorrow and slog through the Mirage Arena requirements so that I can finally fight Armor of the Master and No Heart.

Edit: One really minor, but pretty neat visual detail in Birth by Sleep is that every keyblade in the game got completely new models. Most of the keyblades in the PSP version of BBS were made up of a mix of actual polygonal models and sprites. They're full on models in the HD version, and they look a lot better. KHII HD didn't even get this treatment, weirdly enough. (KHII Ultima Weapon actually looks significantly blurrier than I remember it being.)

ZVpggye.jpg

XfS9IgD.jpg

Finally beat the Data Org. XIII. Data Vexen is seriously the most obnoxious thing. Looping Data Axel's AI through the Reaction Command is always good fun, though.

Going to probably play a little Birth by Sleep either tonight or tomorrow and slog through the Mirage Arena requirements so that I can finally fight Armor of the Master and No Heart.

Edit: One really minor, but pretty neat visual detail in Birth by Sleep is that every keyblade in the game got completely new models. Most of the keyblades in the PSP version of BBS were made up of a mix of actual polygonal models and sprites. They're full on models in the HD version, and they look a lot better. KHII HD didn't even get this treatment, weirdly enough. (KHII Ultima Weapon actually looks significantly blurrier than I remember it being.)

Ooh, that's gorgeous.

Just beat No Heart.

Holy fucking shit

I thought I knew what I was getting into going into this. I figured he'd be like how he was in the PSP version, but just with some nerfed stats, and a slightly more aggressive AI. I just played a goddamn episode of Dragon Ball Z. He's no Lingering Will, but this new rebalanced No Heart might just be one of the most bonkers KH bosses I've ever fought. First off, they weren't kidding about the speed increase. Dude moves around like he's on crack. The video of the player beating him at level 1 isn't too indicative of how a typical battle will go with him because the player was on the defensive most of the time, being at level 1 and all. But if you're adequately leveled and can take and dish out powerful hits, it's a whole new ballgame.

Let me just give you an example of an occurrence during the battle: I go for a physical melee strike, he reverse slides behind me and goes for a keyblade combo, I use Aqua's Teleport ability to warp behind him and go for a Thunder Surge, which he promptly blocks and counters with his punch/kick melee string. I manage to block the inital 3-4 hits, and teleport behind him as he delivers the last kick and get in a few good hits before he slides behind me again and lays down a Slow/Haste barrier right as Aqua goes into the Ghost Drive style. Now see, the way that Slow/Haste barrier works is that he'll create a cylindrical barrier on the battlefield. If you end up in it, you'll randomly be afflicted with either Slow, or Haste, which is actually beneficial. Luckily, I got haste, which meant that I could move every bit as fast as he could now. So the next 30 or so seconds consisted of both Aqua and No Heart more or less flying all over the place dealing damage to each other so fast that I couldn't even follow what was going on for a bit. None of what I just typed was scripted. It just naturally occurred during the fight.

It's overwhelming in the best way possible. I don't think there's a single boss fight in the entire series that has so much going on at once and so much stuff being thrown at you while still not feeling cheap at all.

Holy shit. I need to go to bed after that.

Any word on how or if they are going to change the box size of 2.5 so it matches 1.5's size? I know they're aware of people wanting it done.

Also, hmmm.....I see there's a Gamestop Rewards poster for 2.5....I have enough points to get it. Anyone else get it?

Any word on how or if they are going to change the box size of 2.5 so it matches 1.5's size? I know they're aware of people wanting it done.

Also, hmmm.....I see there's a Gamestop Rewards poster for 2.5....I have enough points to get it. Anyone else get it?

They have mentioned that they will make the limited edition the same size as 1.5 one.

sappyday

Oh yea they definitely look good. I remember BbS's keyblade being ugly in terms of graphics.

Andrefpvs

I got the standard edition of 1.5 (since I hated that the art book served as the disc case), so I hope the Limited Edition of 1.5 has the regular PS3 case inside, regardless of the LE box size.

That's also why I'm waiting for an unboxing video before deciding which version to order :p

Falk

that puzzling face
I can't be the only one who thinks "Dolan" whenever Donald is the background for a save slot.

Heck, the main reason KH2 needs to be ported to PC is so that I can mod that in.

Fun facts: it has now been over a year since the last KH3 trailer. Here's hoping for a new sneak peek at Jump Festa.

Also it's now been over a year since 2.5 was announced and it still hasn't released in the west. Goddamnit Square!

RPGCrazied

Fun facts: it has now been over a year since the last KH3 trailer. Here's hoping for a new sneak peek at Jump Festa.

Also it's now been over a year since 2.5 was announced and it still hasn't released in the west. Goddamnit Square!

SE is being SE, slow. I wonder how long it'll take them to HD Dream Drop Distance, you know its coming. I have no idea why we are waiting for 2.5 HD, the Japan release had English files on the disc or something already?

Malyse

Rofl this is great

Goddamn it KH2.5 come out already so I can do a fucking massive playthrough of all the games in the series in the chronological order and then want to kill myself

All on the easiest difficulty cause fuck you proud and critical
Get gud.

Falk

that puzzling face
Despite saying I was gonna save Critical for EN (just so I'll be playing again alongside most folks) I'm really, sorely tempted to do another playthrough right now instead.

Thankfully my hand is forced by being really busy with work. :U

aravuus

I dunno, I guess I could give the higher difficulty levels a try. Pretty sure my christmas holiday's gonna be like 4 weeks or something insane like that so it's not like I don't have the time for it.

I've pretty much always played on the standard level, easy if I'm "in a hurry", so it could be pretty interesting.

what's up with that title

I dunno, I guess I could give the higher difficulty levels a try. Pretty sure my christmas holiday's gonna be like 4 weeks or something insane like that so it's not like I don't have the time for it.

I've pretty much always played on the standard level, easy if I'm "in a hurry", so it could be pretty interesting.

what's up with that title
critical lvl 1 yolo swag

I'll do regular critical in KH2FM. I'd REALLY want to do BBS in proud but I'm forced to do critical on that again due to the damn trophy! Well, it isn't that bad but it just means some bosses need to be cheesed with shotlocks and whatnot cause I never grind during story playtroughs really and some bosses take absolutely no damage without some trickery in critical.

RPGCrazied

I know difficulties stack this time, but man I think I'm just going to do Proud first time. The first game Final Mix Proud was brutal in some sections. I can't imagine anything higher in difficulty than Proud.

Top Bottom