• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Nomura did the art for Utada Hikaru's upcoming cover album

tumblr_neue7lzioy1r0divuv0.jpg

Note the Command menu at the bottom.
your faves fucking tried it
its over
kh 3 theme incoming

Tsunamo

Nomura did the art for Utada Hikaru's upcoming cover album

Note the Command menu at the bottom.
I can not wait to hear what she cooks up for 3.
Isn't Ventus = inside Sora
Terra = taken over by Xehanort?

Die wasn't the right term btw
Isn't Ventus = inside Sora
Terra = taken over by Xehanort?

Die wasn't the right term btw
At the moment they're gone, but it's pretty likely they'll be bought back in 3 as some of the Seven Lights. (or for Terra one of the 13 Darknesses depending on how things go down)

Falk

that puzzling face
I think if there's one thing that has been hammered home, it's that 'death' is merely a temporary inconvenience in KH fiction.

I have missed her. I mean, I know RIP for her mom after she committed suicide, but she has been one of my faves for years.

That doesn't look like his usual style to me.

Good to see Utada is ready to be back in business.

It should be noted that she isn't making a comeback right now. This is just an album where famous artists will be singing some of her hits. Shiina Ringo, Ayumi Hamasaki, Bonnie Pink, and Maliyah Kato are some of the attists.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
It should be noted that she isn't making a comeback right now. This is just an album where famous artists will be singing some of her hits. Shiina Ringo, Ayumi Hamasaki, Bonnie Pink, and Maliyah Kato are some of the attists.

So that explains why "sing" was in the commands in the corner.

Falk

that puzzling face
do you wake up each day and ask yourself 'hey dreamdrop what can i do today to be as annoying as possible'

its kingdom hearts alive people can have ghosts too because why not

edit:
Swag @ Square Enix HQ

Malyse

do you wake up each day and ask yourself 'hey dreamdrop what can i do today to be as annoying as possible'

its kingdom hearts alive people can have ghosts too because why not

edit:

Swag @ Square Enix HQ
Do you wake up and ask yourself "what is a creative way I can be wrong today?" People die. That first dude you meet in treverse town? He's dead. Most people taken by the heartless are dead. Not my fault you aren't paying attention.

Falk

that puzzling face
Do you wake up and ask yourself "what is a creative way I can be wrong today?" People die. That first dude you meet in treverse town? He's dead. Most people taken by the heartless are dead. Not my fault you aren't paying attention.

If we're gonna play this game, can't be as wrong as you re: lightning dodging and saving. :V

Falk

that puzzling face
Keep telling yourself you're right when virtually no one on the Internet who's done actual testing says otherwise and you can't actually prove otherwise.

Must be really hard being you.

Andrefpvs

I've been thinking lately and I really hope Dream Drop Distance HD happens, and that it is a true Final Mix-like improvement to the game.

I say this because DDD is the only KH game that left me with a weird taste in my mouth after finishing it. I felt like it could have been so much more. You could definitely notice how rushed it was, and how the overall design lacked the polish to ensure every of the game's systems was properly balanced (especially Flowmotion, which destroyed the platforming in this game -- a side effect of this is that every treasure chest gave unremarkable items, due to them being easily reachable. It also made most fights too easy, due to how overpowered it is).

I also feel like the game could benefit from a few extra scenes or at least a restructuring of the narrative in the last world. Anything they could do to better explain wtf was going on there would be a plus.

The lack of post-game activities, with only one (disappointing) secret boss being available in the original DDD, could also be addressed.

Also, as a more shallow reason, I'd really like to have every KH game in my trophy list :p

I've been thinking lately and I really hope Dream Drop Distance HD happens, and that it is a true Final Mix-like improvement to the game.

I say this because DDD is the only KH game that left me with a weird taste in my mouth after finishing it. I felt like it could have been so much more. You could definitely notice how rushed it was, and how the overall design lacked the polish to ensure every of the game's systems was properly balanced (especially Flowmotion, which destroyed the platforming in this game -- a side effect of this is that every treasure chest gave unremarkable items, due to them being easily reachable. It also made most fights too easy, due to how overpowered it is).

I also feel like the game could benefit from a few extra scenes or at least a restructuring of the narrative in the last world. Anything they could do to better explain wtf was going on there would be a plus.

The lack of post-game activities, with only one (disappointing) secret boss being available in the original DDD, could also be addressed.

Also, as a more shallow reason, I'd really like to have every KH game in my trophy list :p

FlowMotion is only really overpowered on normal difficulty - it's pretty *underpowered* later in the game on Normal and pretty much the entire time on higher difficulties.

It's also so poorly integrated into the rest of the combat (part of the BBS design is that normal melee attacks, movements, and special Command Deck attacks can be cancelled smoothly into each other for an unbroken combo - FlowMotion attacks can't be cancelled out of) that on higher difficulties FlowMotion is actually incredibly dangerous to use, but for the stupid reason that it completely opens you up to enemy attacks (it's not like a tactical risk/reward thing, which would be good design; it does shit damage and you have to stay the fuck away from walls so you don't accidentally activate it).

Like much of the rest of DDD's new systems, it's very obviously tacked on to BBS's much better thought-out systems and doesn't mesh well with them at all.

The problem, though, is that while a fair amount of the systems stuff is fixable, DDD's *content* problem is much tougher to fix, and I'm not sure it's actually worth it.

Andrefpvs

FlowMotion is only really overpowered on normal difficulty - it's pretty *underpowered* later in the game on Normal and pretty much the entire time on higher difficulties.

It's also so poorly integrated into the rest of the combat (part of the BBS design is that normal melee attacks, movements, and special Command Deck attacks can be cancelled smoothly into each other for an unbroken combo - FlowMotion attacks can't be cancelled out of) that on higher difficulties FlowMotion is actually incredibly dangerous to use, but for the stupid reason that it completely opens you up to enemy attacks (it's not like a tactical risk/reward thing, which would be good design; it does shit damage and you have to stay the fuck away from walls so you don't accidentally activate it).

Yeah, I played the game on Normal. I guess I learned something new today!

But, of course, I expect all of their systems to be properly tuned for every difficulty from Normal to above. It really is noticeable how badly FlowMotion is implemented.

Btw, what do you think of the other points I raised? Would you like to see a Final Mix-like version of DDD?

Edit: That stealth edit!
Like much of the rest of DDD's new systems, it's very obviously tacked on to BBS's much better thought-out systems and doesn't mesh well with them at all.

The problem, though, is that while a fair amount of the systems stuff is fixable, DDD's *content* problem is much tougher to fix, and I'm not sure it's actually worth it.

It would definitely require resources, and if that would detract from KH3's development, then I wouldn't want it.

But otherwise, I'd really like to see a non-mediocre version of this game. As it is, it just exhales wasted potential.

Yeah, I played the game on Normal. I guess I learned something new today!

But, of course, I expect all of their systems to be properly tuned for every difficulty from Normal to above. It really is noticeable how badly FlowMotion is implemented.

Btw, what do you think of the other points I raised? Would you like to see a Final Mix-like version of DDD?
I'd like to see it, but I kinda just want the systems fixed (I've posted elsewhere in this thread about how all of that could be done with a relative minimum of effort). It can be a pack-in with some other game; I don't want nor need to see it get a ton of additional content.

And to be fair, both BBS and DDD suffer on higher difficulties anyway, as you start barely doing any damage to boss enemies. KH2FM's Critical difficulty remains the best 'challenge' difficulty in the series because enemies deal more damage to Sora *and* Sora deals more damage to enemies. It's a risk/reward thing.

Edit: That stealth edit!

It would definitely require resources, and if that would detract from KH3's development, then I wouldn't want it.

But otherwise, I'd really like to see a non-mediocre version of this game. As it is, it just exhales wasted potential.

I'd definitely love to have seen it done right the first time around, and I'd love to see a "fixed" version for consoles. It's just that when I think about what I want the bigger resources required for asset creation and developing new experiences devoted to, I'd much much rather see them go toward getting us KH3 sooner, getting us BBS Vol 2, or getting us something totally new.

Quoting myself:

Honestly, DDD would mostly need some ability/progression systems overhauls - the way passive abilities are handled, mostly. I'd say have Sora permanently learn *all* passive abilities instead of linking them so heavily to Dream Eaters, and maybe even have Command Melding come back too. I'd drastically boost the amount of AP that Dream Eaters gain, too, and kill the water barrel minigame shit dead. That'd take care of a lot of stuff. It'd mean you could pick Dream Eaters based 100% on their effectiveness in battle and the quality of their limit break/overdrive sorta moves and not really have to worry so much about grinding up their affection levels or experience or picking them based on passive abilities.

Apart from that, I'd turn Reality Shift into some simple L2+R2+analog stick business. Easy enough, I think.

That'd largely deal with the majority of dual-screen and touchscreen mechanics in the whole game. Doesn't solve the problem of its relative dearth of content, though (and of course the Drop system, deeply flawed as it is, is pretty impossible to fix, as is FlowMotion [unless attached to a timed meter?], since you actually *need* to abuse jump-chaining to get to a few areas in TWTNW).

Fix all that shit and I'd pay $20 for it or double-dip on a KH 1.5 + 2.5 + DDD PS4 collection, and it wouldn't take too much in the way of game design or asset creation work. Could be doable before KH3 comes out.

Of course, if they want to actually solve DDD's biggest problem (the total dearth of content), that'll take a good deal more work and likely wouldn't be possible until after KH3, I suspect.

Malyse

Keep telling yourself you're right when virtually no one on the Internet who's done actual testing says otherwise and you can't actually prove otherwise.

Must be really hard being you.

Not really. It's fun. Plus you get to be right so many times.
I might sell my body on the street for the Kingdom Hearts 2.5 art book.

zpk6DGx.gif

I hope it's as great as the BBS limited edition artbook.

I doubt botty's body is as good as an art book. 😋

never played bbs and pretty sure i skipped cutscenes when i played kh2 all those years ago...excited to replay kh2 (watching everything) and playing bbs for the first time!

franky, pls.

so excited for the kh2.5 OT, though ;p

It will be relatively humbe OT though. Personally I don't like the ones where the OP is too bloated (exeption being the legendary MGS4 OT and that's just because it was friggin MGS4). I'll somewhat mirror it to what Paddington did with 1.5 OT but try to keep it... simple and clean you might say.

Still need to decide the OT name from the suggestions. Also the absolute biggest question I need to ask myself is if it will be ''II.5'' to stay true to Nomuras artistic vision and piss people off or ''2.5'' like common sense tells me :)

Malyse

It will be relatively humbe OT though. Personally I don't like the ones where the OP is too bloated (exeption being the legendary MGS4 OT and that's just because it was friggin MGS4). I'll somewhat mirror it to what Paddington did with 1.5 OT but try to keep it... simple and clean you might say.

Still need to decide the OT name from the suggestions. Also the absolute biggest question I need to ask myself is if it will be ''II.5'' to stay true to Nomuras artistic vision and piss people off or ''2.5'' like common sense tells me :)
Use the one that's on the box.

Tsunamo

I hope it's as great as the BBS limited edition artbook.
Are we talking about the PAL region one? If so that really disappointed me, prettymuch everything minus character renders was in the Ultimania I already owned.

It was silly of me to expect new material though so I suppose it's my fault for setting myself up for disappointment.
Which I do way too often
Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 -ReMIX- |OT| You thought it was Ansem but it was me, Xehanort!

Too spoilery?
This is perfect, but yeah it might be a bit spoilery. KH2 is 8 years old but I forget there's folks that will be playing it for the first time in 2.5
I think that strays just a little bit too much from the " but it was me Dio!" meme/joke, good attempt though.

iosefe

Are we talking about the PAL region one? If so that really disappointed me, prettymuch everything minus character renders was in the Ultimania I already owned.

It was silly of me to expect new material though so I suppose it's my fault for setting myself up for disappointment.
Which I do often
This is perfect, but yeah it might be a bit spoilery. KH2 is 8 years old but I forget there's folks that will be playing it for the first time in 2.5 I think that strays just a bit too much from the " but it was me Dio!" meme/joke, good attempt though.

compromise, have Ansem as both names

botty

Banned

Odd, I envisioned the 2.5 OT to be reminiscent of something out of the late renaissance—you know: grand ceilings, massive archways, stained glass, maybe a few biblical references here and there. Though maybe Coded being included in the package should keep things, humble. I'll love it either way!

My suggestion for the OT's name is...

Kingdom Hearts II.5 †OT† Nomura's Paradise Lost

👌

Top Bottom