• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Falk

that puzzling face
So tempted to make a "KH-GAF what is your favorite version of A Day in Agrabah?"

because yeah

at least it has the benefit of not being a topic made every month!

Mecha

Anyone else think BBSvol2 was tossed and replaced by DDD, which is why DDD is so rushed and bad?

If that theory is true, why would they toss and replace BBS volume 2 with a new game? It was probably just rushed to release early it in the 3DS life cycle.

Malyse

Anyone else think BBSvol2 was tossed and replaced by DDD, which is why DDD is so rushed and bad?
Nomura said:
By the way, the indication for Birth By Sleep -Volume 2- is still there. It shows the existence of Aqua's story in the Realm of Darkness. It means that she didn't just wander about in the Darkness for ten years, but that she passed through many experiences. However, it is a "Fragmentary Passage", as the same suggests-- that story was severed and wasn't told. I hope I can tell it when given the opportunity.

Interview, Oct 2014.

So no.

Famassu

I think this was pretty much known? Even before BBS was released, Nomura talked about Birth By Sleep as if it could kind of be a beginning of a new portable mainline level-ish KH spin-off that they could continue beyond just one game. They were obviously supposed to start working on BBS Vol 2, but the somewhat lackluster sales on portables lead to them making the decision that KH really, REALLY needs to get back to consoles because a majority of its fanbase is in the US & Europe while handhelds are weak platforms outside Japan. So they ditched another delve into the past that BBS Vol 2 would have been and started creating the last portable game (for the time being) which would act as a "necessary" bridge between Kingdom Hearts II and Kingdom Hearts III. Had ReCoded, Days & BBS sold better and either Vita or 3DS been a lot more successful, they might've done both.

And DDD is not a bad game. Both the flowmotion & Pokemon systems have their flaws, but the game is far from bad. Moving around with the flow motion stuff was fun, even if it somewhat negates some of the level design that was obviously designed for non-flowmotion traversal. And when you know what you're doing, you don't really have to spend all that much time taking care of the Pokemons and can gain new (& old) skills relatively quickly, minimizing the somewhat boring minigames.

botty

Banned
Interview, Oct 2014.

So no.

That quote for partly the inspiration for my theory, and actually supports it.

I think this was pretty much known? Even before BBS was released, Nomura talked about Birth By Sleep as if it could kind of be a beginning of a new portable mainline level-ish KH spin-off that they could continue beyond just one game. They were obviously supposed to start working on BBS Vol 2, but the somewhat lackluster sales on portables lead to them making the decision that KH really, REALLY needs to get back to consoles because a majority of its fanbase is in the US & Europe while handhelds are weak platforms outside Japan. So they ditched another delve into the past that BBS Vol 2 would have been and started creating the last portable game (for the time being) which would act as a "necessary" bridge between Kingdom Hearts II and Kingdom Hearts III. Had ReCoded, Days & BBS sold better and either Vita or 3DS been a lot more successful, they might've done both.

And DDD is not a bad game. Both the flowmotion & Pokemon systems have their flaws, but the game is far from bad. Moving around with the flow motion stuff was fun, even if it somewhat negates some of the level design that was obviously designed for non-flowmotion traversal. And when you know what you're doing, you don't really have to spend all that much time taking care of the Pokemons and can gain new (& old) skills relatively quickly, minimizing the somewhat boring minigames.

When I say DDD is a bad game, I mean by KH standards, which are very high. The story is horrible, damaging even, and flow motion felt a bit broken (overpowered). There was also the touch screen stuff which I felt was a bit forced and did nothing to make the gameplay as fluid as BBS/KH2. The worlds were uninspired save some sections and it was undoubtedly rushed. The music and general gameplay is excellent, though.

Falk

that puzzling face
DDD has by far the most varied soundtrack of the franchise. I think it's when Ishimoto really, REALLY started getting comfortable with his co-composer role rather than trying really hard to stay within "KH comfort zone"

Malyse

That quote for partly the inspiration for my theory, and actually supports it.

When I say DDD is a bad game, I mean by KH standards, which are very high. The story is horrible, damaging even, and flow motion felt a bit broken (overpowered). There was also the touch screen stuff which I felt was a bit forced and did nothing to make the gameplay as fluid as BBS/KH2. The worlds were uninspired save some sections and it was undoubtedly rushed. The music and general gameplay is excellent, though.
You should say that at the start. Bad for a KH game and bad game aren't the same. And 3D is far from the weakest entry on just about any metric.

To the topic at hand, still no. 3D was announced in 2010, the same year that BBS came out. I don't think they effected each other at all.

I think I'd almost go as far as to say that DDD has perhaps overall the best soundtrack of any KH game. Like, there is just something about it that I can't quite put my finger on. The only real shame is that many (almost all) of the ''late game'' tracks are just new versions of old KH tracks (and lots of them). They are great but the one thing that the tracklist is missing is it's own End of the World+Guardando/13th floor+Lord of the Castle/TWTNW+Darkness of the Unknown/Unbreakable Chains/Vector. Of course it's kinda tied to story reasons too. Because if there is one thing about DDD OST I love it's the unique identity.

But like... DDD is the kind of game where they give a track like Ice-Hot Lobster to a random mob boss that doesn't play anywhere else. That is the kind of stuff I love.

DDD has by far the most varied soundtrack of the franchise. I think it's when Ishimoto really, REALLY started getting comfortable with his co-composer role rather than trying really hard to stay within "KH comfort zone"

And I think the soundtrack turned out all the better for it, to be honest. Ishimoto and Sekito's contributions to the DDD soundtrack (and Birth by Sleep while I'm at it) really spice things up a bit. And even when adhering to that KH comfort zone, they still knock it out of the park more often than not. Sekito's responsible for what I consider to be the best arrangement of Scherzo Di Notte, for one.

I think I'd almost go as far as to say that DDD has perhaps overall the best soundtrack of any KH game. Like, there is just something about it that I can't quite put my finger on. The only real shame is that many (almost all) of the ''late game'' tracks are just new versions of old KH tracks (and lots of them). They are great but the one thing that the tracklist is missing is it's own End of the World+Guardando/13th floor+Lord of the Castle/TWTNW+Darkness of the Unknown/Unbreakable Chains/Vector. Of course it's kinda tied to story reasons too. Because if there is one thing about DDD OST I love it's the unique identity.

But like... DDD is the kind of game where they give a track like Ice-Hot Lobster to a random mob boss that doesn't play anywhere else. That is the kind of stuff I love.

I agree. It's pretty atypical for a KH soundtrack, but that's what I love about it.

Psxphile

Did we know about this already?

552c135859341d320b9ee5c1735de322.jpg

With only a few weeks until the launch of KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.5 ReMIX in North America on December 2nd, we’re excited to announce a very exclusive private event featuring some incredible surprises! On December 1st, one day before the game launches, we’ll be hosting a “Inside the Kingdom, with Heart” private showcase at the magical Walt Disney Studio Lot in Burbank, California!

Attendance to this year’s celebration will be by invitation only, with tickets being distributed through select channels.

Due to the exclusive nature of the event, we will be hosting it during two separate time slots to allow for more fans to attend the experience. Once through the Disney gate, attendees will be treated to a never before seen Kingdom Hearts trailer, have an opportunity to purchase KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.5 ReMIX early, pick up Kingdom Hearts merchandise, and get a chance to mingle with some very special guests. Who? You’ll just have to wait to find out! Here are the available time slots!

WHAT:
Inside the Kingdom, from the Heart – Launch Showcase

WHEN:
December 1st, 2014

Slot A*:
2:30PM-5:30PM

Slot B*:
6:30PM-9:30PM

*Final show times are subject to change

WHERE:
Walt Disney Studios Lot , Burbank, CA

Less than two weeks to go, folks... it's almost here.

Maybe we will finally get a trailer for III out of that event.

All we have so far have been tech demos. :(

They don't even really have to give a full trailer. Announce the first new Disney world already so people have something to talk about! That should give them 6 months till they next have to talk about the game.

"We have a very special, never before seen Kingdom Hearts trailer!"

*cue 40 second video showcasing Olympus Colosseum for KH 3*

"That's right! Olympus Colosseum will make an appearance in Kingdom Hearts 3! Please be excited!"

I'm fine with Olympus if they actually make it about great arena events again. Maybe even strip most of the story from it and just have it be an hub for the battles. Like KH1 but even less story elements and just save that effort for other worlds.

I think Halloween Town is the one with least to offer at this point. But then again it's one of those worlds I'd like to see how it looks on current gen.

I do agree they should probably keep Agrabah out too. I think it has potential for another appearance but not for KH3.

Now here's a question: what old world should return. My top choise would probably be Pirates. I know some people didn't quite like it in KH but I enjoyed it alright and Dead Man's Chest could be a fun adaptation. Also with the power of current gen you could make even more ridicilous difference between the characters.

I'm fine with Olympus if they actually make it about great arena events again. Maybe even strip most of the story from it and just have it be an hub for the battles. Like KH1 but even less story elements and just save that effort for other worlds.

I think Halloween Town is the one with least to offer at this point. But then again it's one of those worlds I'd like to see how it looks on current gen.

I do agree they should probably keep Agrabah out too. I think it has potential for another appearance but not for KH3.

Now here's a question: what old world should return. My top choise would probably be Pirates. I know some people didn't quite like it in KH but I enjoyed it alright and Dead Man's Chest could be a fun adaptation. Also with the power of current gen you could make even more ridicilous difference between the characters.
Deep Jungle pls
:(

Banzai

What Olympus Colosseum needs to be, if it does come back, is everything. What i mean is that they need to include the arena, the underworld, mount olympus and maybe thebes.

all the worlds in general need to more accurately represent the locales in the movies instead of being tiny rooms that are strung together. I think something like the way Ratchet & clank games handle planets would be perfect for KH.

I doubt any of that will happen, though.

Tsunamo

http://www.khinsider.com/news/Dream-Drop-Distance-HD-Confirmed-in-X-chi-4707

Wonder what other texture touchups we'll get in DDDHD, game already looked really nice in 3D (and yes, low resolution)

On the top of OC i'm still placing my bets on an abridged version of the battle with the Titans in Hercules. It would be interesting to place the focus on story on the world of Hercules and not have arenas for once, but OC arenas are a trope for the world I really love so i'd prefer that we get them back instead.

A week from US release and this thread is on Page 4? For shame :(

Although... I suppose most of you imported, being the super fans you are. I am so pumped. If only it came out this Tuesday ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday :\

Falk

that puzzling face
There really isn't much to discuss until the game itself drops. D:

Although Shimomura-san posted this!

10393754_718914781528731_3432113126979732888_n.jpg

Does BBS HD really run at the same settings as KH2 HD? Maybe it's just my eyes but it doesn't look quite as sharp from the vids.

I did some (slow) progress on Re:CoM platinum. Still a long way to go but might as well do it at my own pace and get 100% on all KH trophy lists. Man, they didn't give a fuck about the prerendered cutscenes. They look terrible.

What Olympus Colosseum needs to be, if it does come back, is everything. What i mean is that they need to include the arena, the underworld, mount olympus and maybe thebes.

all the worlds in general need to more accurately represent the locales in the movies instead of being tiny rooms that are strung together. I think something like the way Ratchet & clank games handle planets would be perfect for KH.

I doubt any of that will happen, though.

I'd strongly prefer something more akin to the Mirage Arena in terms of visual theme, to be honest, especially if they're going to incorporate online multiplayer of any sort.

Top Bottom