• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Hypothetically if you've had a media blackout all this time, you buy the game, you look at the box art, you go "holy hell why does this guy look like roxas lol"

edit: BBS box art, I meant. But KH2.5 box art works too.

This is me.

EDIT- I'ma be back after I finish 2.5 -_-.

EDIT2- Everyone is using spoilers ^_^.

Hey, I would too if I realized I was going to
become Roxas
chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f-25x28.png

Erm... not sure if you meant that literally. Because that isn't the case, I think.

His body is inside Castle Oblivion, his heart is in Sora. Roxas was Sora's nobody, a part of Sora, not Ventus. But he looked like Ventus because Ventus' heart was in Sora at the time Roxas was created.

Or something.

Caladrius

Still haven't been able to buy a monitor. Guess I'll have to cobble together some of my impressions posts for the closest thing to a guide I can manage. :[

stay pressed because you refuse to accept the best KH character

But Zexion is already my favorite.

Erm... not sure if you meant that literally. Because that isn't the case, I think.

His body is inside Castle Oblivion, his heart is in Sora. Roxas was Sora's nobody, a part of Sora, not Ventus. But he looked like Ventus because Ventus' heart was in Sora at the time Roxas was created.

Or something.

I was under the impression that
Ventus's part of Sora's heart was what was separated from him when he extracted his heart with the Keyblade of Peoples' hearts.

So I played Kingdmo Hearts 2(no final mix) when it was released and can remember bits and pieces. I haven't played BBS before though. Should i start there or just play KH2?
Back then I played KH2+Chain of memories before i played KH1 - Yes i was confused as hell but figured out the basical plotline of KH1.

should do it in the order the games were released (2 first then BBS) that's the way i'll do it

Falk

that puzzling face
Speaking of game order, I know we discussed this a few dozen pages back but I had a friend who recently played watched 358/2 before CoM/KH2.

It got me thinking.
If 358/2 is your first exposure to Org XIII, the simple fact that you don't expect something bad to happen to Xion (since she's obviously not in the chronologically later games) does make the final few scenes hit much harder. Especially with Vector to the Heavens playing.

Seda

Now that I'm finished with Persona Q, 2.5 HD is next up. I liked BBS enough, but never was a fan of KH2. I never played Final Mix however, which everybody says is dramatically improved.

botty

Banned
>< spoiler tag?
I understand that this guy looks like roxas(If he's the one you're talking about) ... But he could have another connection to Roxas+Sora - Kingdom hearts has a twisted story line at points.

It's not a spoiler since it isn't actually true. When you play BBS you will understand what I mean if you have a good memory bank full of KH quotes and what not.

I'll take the kid who eventually learns to stop getting his ass kicked and starts being proactive to the ditzy pinball protagonist and Captain angsty girlfriend-missing amnesiac. :V

I literally don't know who you're describing here... Sora, Roxas, and Ven all suffer amnesia at some point in the series, with Roxas arguably suffering from it for the shortest amount of time (gameplay wise). Sora is also the only one that has ever had anything close to an actual girlfriend so I suppose he fits the bill most there.

Caladrius

Steel Blue hair, wields a book Same VA as Tuxedo Mask, you'll be cursing his name in rage come 2.5...

It's not a spoiler since it isn't actually true. When you play BBS you will understand what I mean if you have a good memory bank full of KH quotes and what not.

I literally don't know who you're describing here... Sora, Roxas, and Ven all suffer amnesia at some point in the series, with Roxas arguably suffering from it for the shortest amount of time (gameplay wise). Sora is also the only one that has ever had anything close to an actual girlfriend so I suppose he fits the bill most there.

I was mostly mocking Roxas's characterization in Days, which pretty much ends up largely revolving around Xion (who is rather blatantly portrayed as a love interest) by the midpoint.
The amnesiac descriptor was stuck in there mainly because you learn about Roxas having it the most quickly of the three (the first hour or so compared to Sora at the midway point of CoM and Ven near the end of BBS) so he's usually what comes first to my mind as far as that descriptor goes.

Either way, don't take me too seriously. Taking exaggerated jabs at characters is pretty much a schtick for me by this point. Ask Youngblade.

Was there ever a thread made for import impressions of 2.5? My CE is coming in today, but I won't be playing 2/BoS for a while because I never picked up the first remastering so I want to read about them a bit.

Tsunamo

stay pressed because you refuse to accept the best KH character
image.php
Was there ever a thread made for import impressions of 2.5? My CE is coming in today, but I won't be playing 2/BoS for a while because I never picked up the first remastering so I want to read about them a bit.
I don't think there was, but there was a couple of general impressions from the imports on this thread around release, not sure what page that started though.

You know, I already know some of Lingering Will's techniques from his Final Mix boss fight were actually implemented in Birth by Sleep (Ultima Cannon, the Keyblade Glider), but I'm only just now realizing that the very last portion of his desperation move ended up becoming Thunder Surge in Birth by Sleep. It has the same animation and everything.

Now that I'm finished with Persona Q, 2.5 HD is next up. I liked BBS enough, but never was a fan of KH2. I never played Final Mix however, which everybody says is dramatically improved.

Yeah, Final Mix improves a lot. Make sure to play on Critical, though. Most of the balance changes really shine through there. (And difficulty trophies stack now, so there's the Proud and Critical trophies in one swoop there)

Talax

Were the glitches ever fixed in the Jap version of 2.5 or not? Just wondering if the overseas release will be plagued by the same problems as well.

You know, I already know some of Lingering Will's techniques from his Final Mix boss fight were actually implemented in Birth by Sleep (Ultima Cannon, the Keyblade Glider), but I'm only just now realizing that the very last portion of his desperation move ended up becoming Thunder Surge in Birth by Sleep. It has the same animation and everything.

Yeah, Final Mix improves a lot. Make sure to play on Critical, though. Most of the balance changes really shine through there. (And difficulty trophies stack now, so there's the Proud and Critical trophies in one swoop there)

Is critical overwhelming ?

Nah. It can be rough in a couple of spots, but it's the only difficulty that's consistently at least somewhat challenging. Proud is barely more difficult than normal.

I'll probably go straight into critical it's going to be my first time playing KH2, well basically the HD collection are my first time playing it never got the chance during the ps2 era. I couldn't get into chain of memories though I'll probably YouTube the story.

In my opinion, the hardest part of Critical Mode (barring optional bosses and Cavern of Remembrance) are the lightcycle mini-games in Space Paranoids.

The cool thing about Critical Mode is that you're actually more powerful than you are in Proud Mode. You just can't take nearly as much damage.

The cool thing about Critical Mode is that you're actually more powerful than you are in Proud Mode. You just can't take nearly as much damage.

Since you guys have played this before, what are some critical changes from KH1 to KH2? Is it more fast, is the camera slightly better ? Cause I look at videos and I'm like woah this is fast.

Seda

Proud Mode in the original KH2 was a cakewalk. I did have trouble with Xaldin before I understood the battle pattern. Hoping Critical is appreciably challenging ;)

Best part about Critical Mode are the extra lucky strikes that make getting Ultima Weapon (or any synthesis item really) a non issue.

omg

Best part about Critical Mode are the extra lucky strikes that make getting Ultima Weapon (or any synthesis item really) a non issue.

Yeah - I wouldn't quite say that Critical Mode deemphasizes the RPG elements of the game (because picking your equipment wisely is more important than it is on Proud difficulty) but it's absolutely much more action- than grind-focused.

Since you guys have played this before, what are some critical changes from KH1 to KH2? Is it more fast, is the camera slightly better ? Cause I look at videos and I'm like woah this is fast.

Combat is faster with more options (limit breaks, drive forms, magic can be comboed with normal attacks), party member changing during battles, 4 shortcut slots instead of 3...

Camera is way better, best in the series. Fast and it's much farther away from the character than KH1.

If there is one thing KH2 does right IMO it's the combat. Best in the series imo tho KH1 is still my overall favourite package.

Level complexity and platforming are almost non-existant in KH2 compared to KH1 tho. Level design is pretty basic and boring. There isn't really any interesting room designs outside of the Final Mix exclusive dungeon. You won't see the Treehouse type of super vertical rooms that are fun to explore.

Combat is faster with more options (limit breaks, drive forms, magic can be comboed with normal attacks), party member changing during battles, 4 shortcut slots instead of 3...

Camera is way better, best in the series. Fast and it's much farther away from the character than KH1.

If there is one thing KH2 does right IMO it's the combat. Best in the series imo tho KH1 is still my overall favourite package.

Level complexity and platforming are almost non-existant in KH2 compared to KH1 tho. Level design is pretty basic and boring. There isn't really any interesting room designs outside of the Final Mix exclusive dungeon. You won't see the Treehouse type of super vertical rooms that are fun to explore.

I hoping for the Winnie the Pooh world makes a comeback I loved that section in KH1 so much charm. Here's hoping level design in KH3 is a lil more complex:

Vanilla KH2's combat didn't really shine too much because of the easy difficulty and because of the lack of evasive moves, but the addition of Dodge Roll and Limit Form's HP draining attacks really broadens the defensive options in the game beyond just Block and Reflect, and Critical Difficulty makes that shit *matter*.

Psxphile

biggest question for EN 2.5 is

did they fix "scatt red dreams"

if not

KUSOGE
biggest question for me is

how you've gone this long without an avatar

Don't know whether to get 2.5 around launch or continue playing MGS HD Collection (on MGS2) for now...hmm...

Similar dilenma, except replace MGS HD Colllection with Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster (on X-2). Well, that and I've already preordered the game from Amazon but not likely to see it delivered for about a week because I'm too cheap to 'express' it.

Should work out, I think.

botty

Banned
I was mostly mocking Roxas's characterization in Days, which pretty much ends up largely revolving around Xion (who is rather blatantly portrayed as a love interest) by the midpoint.
The amnesiac descriptor was stuck in there mainly because you learn about Roxas having it the most quickly of the three (the first hour or so compared to Sora at the midway point of CoM and Ven near the end of BBS) so he's usually what comes first to my mind as far as that descriptor goes.

Either way, don't take me too seriously. Taking exaggerated jabs at characters is pretty much a schtick for me by this point. Ask Youngblade.

oh we will get along well. I enjoy trashing Ventus :)

That reminds me, I still haven't finished FFX HD yet. I was doing the Don Tonberry AP trick, last I remember. Haven't even started X-2 HD or Last Mission yet. Shit, I think I still have an copy of Symphonia Chronicles that I'm only an hour into at this point. With so many good PS3 RPGs in my backlog, my PS3's probably going to be hooked up for a good, long while.

Kinsei

Banned
I just remembered that I never finished Re: CoM HD. I should probably do that before 2.5 comes out.

I got tired of farming for the Barrel Spider card and just stopped playing.

That reminds me, I still haven't finished FFX HD yet. I was doing the Don Tonberry AP trick, last I remember. Haven't even started X-2 HD or Last Mission yet. Shit, I think I still have an copy of Symphonia Chronicles that I'm only an hour into at this point. With so many good PS3 RPGs in my backlog, my PS3's probably going to be hooked up for a good, long while.
Yeah I kinda dropped off FFX while grinding Dark Yojimbo for Ribbon armors for my whole party. Haven't dug into FFX-2 yet at all. I really need to get on that shit.

Is there any way to purchase or listen to Simple and Clean and especially the PlanitB remix without YouTube?

Well I guess you can convert the youtube version into MP3 or something. I don't think the song is available for purchase?

edit: nevermind me, seems like it has been released on some album.

edit2:
biggest question for EN 2.5 is

did they fix "scatt red dreams"
Seems like they did :lol

What is considered the most difficult skill tree for KH2FM? Picking the sword because of Second Chance @ 85?

Hard to say. Shield's far and away the best. Sword makes you vulnerable but you *do* get Finisher Plus fairly early and that does a lot to let you do huge damage to normal enemies.

edit: DEFINITELY sword. You also get Defender and Critical Half really, really late compared to the others.

Of course, if you're playing on easier difficulties, Sword might be *best* because certain combo-modifying stuff like Berserk Charge, Negative Combo, and Finisher Plus can be extremely useful for the Mushroom XIII (among other things).

Hard to say. Shield's far and away the best. Sword makes you vulnerable but you *do* get Finisher Plus fairly early and that does a lot to let you do huge damage to normal enemies.

edit: DEFINITELY sword. You also get Defender and Critical Half really, really late compared to the others.

Of course, if you're playing on easier difficulties, Sword might be *best* because certain combo-modifying stuff like Berserk Charge, Negative Combo, and Finisher Plus can be extremely useful for the Mushroom XIII (among other things).

Thanks. Sword/Critical it is, then. I want the hardest experience possible >:D

Kinsei

Banned
So, is the platinum in this grindy for any of the games? Will I have to play the game 3 times ?

Also, is there a speedrun guide for KH1FM?

According to importers the difficulty trophies stack now. In fact all of the trophies can be gotten in a single playthrough now. Getting all three characters in BbS to level 99 will probably take a while.

According to importers the difficulty trophies stack now. In fact all of the trophies can be gotten in a single playthrough now. Getting all three characters in BbS to level 99 will probably take a while.

Hmmm, thats good to hear...But I'll probably play on normal to ensure boss' don't become frustrating. I remember giving up on the final boss a couple of times as a kid -_-.

Top Bottom