• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Caladrius

I'm skeptical that they'll make additions of any sort to the cast, personally. KH3's big challenge is going to be wrapping everything up cleanly, and introducing more characters is only going to impede that.

I'm skeptical that they'll make additions of any sort to the cast, personally. KH3's big challenge is going to be wrapping everything up cleanly, and introducing more characters is only going to impede that.
I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two added villains, maybe, if only because it's not wholly clear whether there are enough cast members to put in the second Org XIII. New major protagonists, though, kinda doubtful.

However, obviously there'll be new Disney characters and new FF cameos, guaranteed. But I know that's not what you meant, of course.

I could see new Hayner/Pence/Olette level minor characters happening, I guess.

Malyse

As canon as [chi] is, I'm going to say you're wrong. Plus there's all those recompleted to account for. And:
Do you expect Ephemera to be the Roxas of KH 3? A completely new playable character that no one expected/knows about? That's assuming he doesn't end up being evil or a Xehanort or whatever
I think Ephemera will show up in 3, but I don't think he's evil because I think the Foretellers are evil. Or at the least, not good. He's asking the questions I raised way back when I started playing, namely about why the hell are we doing what we are doing and that hoarding light sounds like a bad idea. There's a good chance that [chi] is taking place in the present as well. Or we're fucking with time travel again.

But I doubt we'll play as Ephemera.

Also, we officially have a black coated stranger in [chi]. I'm assuming they are the antagonist.

As canon as [chi] is, I'm going to say you're wrong. Plus there's all those recompleted to account for. And:
I think Ephemera will show up in 3, but I don't think he's evil because I think the Foretellers are evil. Or at the least, not good. He's asking the questions I raised way back when I started playing, namely about why the hell are we doing what we are doing and that hoarding light sounds like a bad idea. There's a good chance that [chi] is taking place in the present as well. Or we're fucking with time travel again.

Also, we officially have a black coated stranger in [chi]. I'm assuming they are the antagonist.
I read up a lot more on Chi and it seems possible that it's actually just a
data
world? Ephemera used the word "Holograph" to describe the Worlds that they visit to the player. Also, Maleficent made an analogy between the Data Worlds and the Book of Prophecies. Apparently Mickey, Donald, and Goofy showed up in Chi? How? I'm convinced that Chi is
just someone doing the same shit Mickey did in RE:Coded
and is trying to find out what happens during the Keyblade War.

Caladrius

I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two added villains, maybe, if only because it's not wholly clear whether there are enough cast members to put in the second Org XIII. New major protagonists, though, kinda doubtful.

However, obviously there'll be new Disney characters and new FF cameos, guaranteed. But I know that's not what you meant, of course.

I could see new Hayner/Pence/Olette level minor characters happening, I guess.

I wouldn't be too surprised if they did add antagonists related to the keyblade war at the least, and I do concede there's a good probability of needing to add new people for Borganization XIII. Hopefully they do so in a way that doesn't introduce more continuity lockout.

I have no doubt they'll address what happened to the rest of the nobodies (And I'd be disappointed if they didn't), though I wouldn't count those as new characters.

And I am indeed referring to KH-specific characters, Crumble.

Malyse

I read up a lot more on Chi and it seems possible that it's actually just a
data
world? Ephemera used the word "Holograph" to describe the Worlds that they visit to the player. Also, Maleficent made an analogy between the Data Worlds and the Book of Prophecies. Apparently Mickey, Donald, and Goofy showed up in Chi? How? I'm convinced that Chi is
just someone doing the same shit Mickey did in RE:Coded
and is trying to find out what happens during the Keyblade War.
We don't know who's pulling the strings, but I doubt its Xehanort. This is bigger than him.

botty

Banned
Botty fails to realize the weight of RE:coded to the canon.

Re:coded's story holds no weight at all. It is filler all around, and even it's intent—thank Namine—is never actually fulfilled. You could remove Re:Coded from the series and Dream Drop Distance would still function just as well.

Falk

that puzzling face
It is filler all around, and even it's intent—thank Namine—is never actually fulfilled.

Bullshit. You and I both know that thanking a digital representation of Namine will have the same effect as thanking Namine because there's a memory of it in everyone's hearts and all hearts are connected to Sora and it's the thought that counts and all that stuff.

Or

Because Namine.

:kingdomhearts:

botty

Banned
Bullshit. You and I both know that thanking a digital representation of Namine will have the same effect as thanking Namine because there's a memory of it in everyone's hearts and all hearts are connected to Sora and it's the thought that counts and all that stuff.

Or

Because Namine.

:kingdomhearts:

LOL good point, falk ;)

When exactly did Riku aquire is
keyblade
in kh2? Because every time you see him before
the world that never was
he has his soul eater.

Psxphile

Is there a point when he's still appearing as Ansem SoD but already has the Way to the Dawn? Can't remember.

Well, when Kairi and Namine are trying to escape from the castle and Saix gets in the way, Riku (still hooded) appears and he's got the Way to the Dawn. And of course later after he gives Kairi her keyblade he's seen fighting with WttD.

And no, at no one point is it ever shown how and when Riku's Soul Eater became Way to the Dawn. Just another Fragmentary Passage left unsaid.

Wasn't the way to dawn created after leaving castle oblivion, and choosing that "path" when talking to DiZ? I'd love to think that's the moment...

Also, i hope one of the 13th darknesses is Riku's nobody.

zeemumu

Wasn't the way to dawn created after leaving castle oblivion, and choosing that "path" when talking to DiZ? I'd love to think that's the moment...

Also, i hope one of the 13th darknesses is Riku's nobody.

I don't think Riku has a nobody. Ansem Seeker of Darkness assumed direct control over his body and sent the rest of him to the realm of darkness. Then after Ansem SoD died, Riku got his body back. If Ansem had just banished his heart and left the body, then he'd probably have a nobody, but Riku's body was always in constant use, so it never gained sentience.
Is there a point when he's still appearing as Ansem SoD but already has the Way to the Dawn? Can't remember.

He has it in Land of Dragons if I remember correctly. Wait, no. That was still the Soul Eater. Yeah, he just showed up at The World that Never Was with the Way to Dawn

Botty fails to realize the weight of RE:coded to the canon.

Eh, you could skip Coded and still have a near-flawless grasp of the story.

All that really matters is that DDD has the best intro of any of the games.

And no, at no one point is it ever shown how and when Riku's Soul Eater became Way to the Dawn. Just another Fragmentary Passage left unsaid.

Interesting.

Probably not one of the things that could be addressed by e.g. a Birth By Sleep volume 2 (which, if it ever happens, is more likely to be all about Aqua's journey in the Realm of Darkness and Mickey's recovery of the Kingdom Key D) but you never know.

Malyse

Do you think that we'll get to fight Elsa? I'm trying to think if we've fought any not villain Disney characters other than Hercules, and I'm drawing a blank. Despite the amount of grisly deaths in Disney movies, I'm not sure if I can apply that same logic to beating up a princess.

Do you think that we'll get to fight Elsa? I'm trying to think if we've fought any not villain Disney characters other than Hercules, and I'm drawing a blank. Despite the amount of grisly deaths in Disney movies, I'm not sure if I can apply that same logic to beating up a princess.

No, she's more likely to be an ally character. It's not like KH is averse to having us fight Heartless (or Nobody, or Unversed, or Nightmare) bosses at the end of a Disney world instead of the actual villain from that movie.

Only KH2 tried to have any rigor about having one "story" final boss and one Heartless final boss per world, but it also failed to meet that standard (for Beast's Castle you never fight Gaston).

Malyse

No, she's more likely to be an ally character. It's not like KH is averse to having us fight Heartless (or Nobody, or Unversed, or Nightmare) bosses at the end of a Disney world instead of the actual villain from that movie.
Oh they'll have Elsa as the antagonist for sure. No way we don't throw with Marshmallow.

Well maybe in the Mirage Arena, cause fuck Olympus Coliseum.
Only KH2 tried to have any rigor about having one "story" final boss and one Heartless final boss per world, but it also failed to meet that standard (for Beast's Castle you never fight Gaston).
Oh! But you fight Beast! That's two.

zeemumu

Sora's darkness has been steadily increasing since KH1, right? He was just a shadow in the first, then Anti-Form, then the Nightmare. He's getting worse, isn't he?

Malyse

Sora's darkness has been steadily increasing since KH1, right? He was just a shadow in the first, then Anti-Form, then the Nightmare. He's getting worse, isn't he?
Its part of why I say that Sora is going to be one of the 13. He still hasn't dealt with his inner darkness.

-----

Terra fights Peter Pan too. That's three hero fights (five if you count Cloud and Squall)

zeemumu

Its part of why I say that Sora is going to be one of the 13. He still hasn't dealt with his inner darkness.

-----

Terra fights Peter Pan too. That's three hero fights (five if you count Cloud and Squall)

Sora vs Leon

Sora vs Cloud

Cloud vs Hercules

Sora vs Hercules

Sora vs Beast

Terra vs Peter Pan

Technically Rinzler doesn't count even though he's Tron.

Watching the last few scenes of Coded right now, then I guess I'll get started in BBS: FM.

Malyse

Sora vs Leon

Sora vs Cloud

Cloud vs Hercules

Sora vs Hercules

Sora vs Beast

Terra vs Peter Pan

Technically Rinzler doesn't count even though he's Tron.

Watching the last few scenes of Coded right now, then I guess I'll get started in BBS: FM.

Scroll up. The Cloud Herc fight has no bearing on the topic being discussed.

zeemumu

Scroll up. The Cloud Herc fight has no bearing on the topic being discussed.

Ah, okay.

If Sora does become one of the 13 vessels, wouldn't the lights be one short? And wouldn't that prompt Xehanort to go after the princesses since the lights won't have a complete team?

Were Maleficent's thoughts on the "date escape" implying that the Book of Prophecies is just an algorithm designed to predict future events? Or is it that the book was translated into data to protect it from being used by the corrupted apprentices to covet the light?

Malyse

Ah, okay.

If Sora does become one of the 13 vessels, wouldn't the lights be one short? And wouldn't that prompt Xehanort to go after the princesses since the lights won't have a complete team?

Were Maleficent's thoughts on the "date escape" implying that the Book of Prophecies is just an algorithm designed to predict future events? Or is it that the book was translated into data to protect it from being used by the corrupted apprentices to covet the light?
We don't know who the lights are, just who they likely aren't. Namely, Terra and Sora.

As for the BoP, we're still learning. We *just* found out [chi] is a constructed world.

zeemumu

We don't know who the lights are, just who they likely aren't. Namely, Terra and Sora.

As for the BoP, we're still learning. We *just* found out [chi] is a constructed world.

Chi is all data or just the worlds that you go to? Do you have a link to the story so far in Chi? I went to the tumblr and I can't find the rest of the information outside of the base story.

Malyse

Chi is all data or just the worlds that you go to? Do you have a link to the story so far in Chi? I went to the tumblr and I can't find the rest of the information outside of the base story.
That's because I'm lazy and haven't written it yet. I'm considering making a novelization type thing, but I would need like a ton of encouragement to do so.

zeemumu

That's because I'm lazy and haven't written it yet. I'm considering making a novelization type thing, but I would need like a ton of encouragement to do so.

That tumblr is yours? Makes more sense now.

Maybe the first five factions are causing an imbalance by hoarding the light and the 6th is trying to re-establish balance by adding in balance and becomes the dark faction as a result, then the other factions lose the light and it becomes kingdom hearts and they also fall to darkness. Xehanort did say that the factions all clashed to create kingdo-oh, that's it. The factions are hoarding light to create Kingdom Hearts, the ultimate light to hoard, and they're going to fight eachother to get the pieces of light that the other factions have. The 6th faction is going to freak out and assume that an imbalance of light is dangerous and up the darkness, which is probably what Xehanort found out in his studies.

I do still have this question: why did Xehanort reform as an old guy instead of Terranort?

Aru

If the last part of KH DDD's intro is faithful enough to what we can expect to be
the final battle of KH3
, the following characters are part of that scene:
- Sora
- Roxas (I wonder how the hell he could come back after merging with Sora)
- Ventus
- Aqua
- Terra (would he get his body back somehow?)
- Riku
- Mickey
- Donald
- Goofy
And all of them, outside of Mickey himself, Sora and Riku are summoned by Mickey.

So... will Lea and Kairi make it there? I wonder.

Usually the intro of each game is a teaser (and contains major spoilers to the story) of what happens in that game, but nothing like that ever happens in KH DDD. It's more like a super fast recap of KH1, CoM, Days, 2 and then the KH3 teaser.

Interesting thing is that Terra, Aqua and Ven look exactly the same as in BBS. Didn't they age at all in 10 years? lol

Malyse

If the last part of KH DDD's intro is faithful enough to what we can expect to be the final battle of KH3, the following characters are part of that scene:

- Sora
- Roxas (I wonder how the hell he could come back after merging with Sora)
- Ventus
- Aqua
- Terra (would he get his body back somehow?)
- Riku
- Mickey
- Donald
- Goofy
And all of them, outside of Mickey himself, Sora and Riku are summoned by Mickey.

So... will Lea and Kairi make it there? I wonder.

Usually the intro of each game is a teaser (and contains major spoilers to the story) of what happens in that game, but nothing like that ever happens in KH DDD. It's more like a super fast recap of KH1, CoM, Days, 2 and then the KH3 teaser.

Interesting thing is that Terra, Aqua and Ven look exactly the same as in BBS. Didn't they age at all in 10 years? lol

Removing spoilers because you all should be caught up by now.

There's a time dilation in all realms but light. We've seen Aqua after KH2 and she looks the same as she did in BBS. And we saw Ven in 3D and he hasn't aged either.

As for your list, Sora is a Darkness as is Terra. That's how you slot in Lea and Kairi. Also, your list fails to account for Xion when the entirety of the final world in 3D was screaming "Hey guys, Xion and Roxas are coming back!" Roxas has his own heart, so they'll likely awaken his heart with the Key to Return Hearts that Sora is looking for. Plus the OP of 3D couldn't very well show Lea and Kairi in battle as that would have spoiled the big twist and the secret ending.

Furthermore, people need to stop conflating that seven lights = keyblade wielders. They have at no point said that.

I do still have this question: why did Xehanort reform as an old guy instead of Terranort?

Heart dictates appearance. See also Riku turning into Ansem SoD in KH1.

zeemumu

So why would he transfer his body into a new one if the new one was going to turn into the old one? That's like ditching a pickup truck for a sportscar then the sportscar turns into the pickup truck.

And why didn't it turn into the Terranort one that it was the entire time before he turned into a heartless/nobody?

Malyse

So why would he transfer his body into a new one if the new one was going to turn into the old one? That's like ditching a pickup truck for a sportscar then the sportscar turns into the pickup truck.

And why didn't it turn into the Terranort one that it was the entire time before he turned into a heartless/nobody?
physical appearance =! Strength

As for why not sooner, Terra's heart had not yet succumbed.

botty

Banned
physical appearance =! Strength

As for why not sooner, Terra's heart had not yet succumbed.

Your body submits, your heart succumbs—so why does your mind resist?

giphy.gif

Malyse

Your body submits, your heart succumbs—so why does your mind resist?

giphy.gif

But at that point his heart had not succumbed.

Master Xehanort: Darkness rules your heart--it gives me control. Muscle and sinew that once obeyed you now rebels against you. How you can remain here at all confounds the mind.
Terra: It's still my heart. You think you can just come in and take over? I'm no gonna sit by and let that happen.
Master Xehanort: Hmph. Don't you entertain notion of escaping me, boy. In the end, your heart will be engulfed by mine forever.

Terra: I'm not afraid of what the darkness holds now. Even if you do wrest control of my heart from me--even if you cast me into the deepest, darkest abyss--you'll never sway me from the one cause that pushes me to keep on fighting. Whatever the cost, I'm ready to pay it.
Master Xehanort: Brave words, to be sure. But I'm a patient man. We can take as much time as we need to settle this little property dispute. However, know this--You are just one of many roads that I might choose to take. Trust me, I made certain of that.​

It wasn't until later that Terra fully lost control. Xehanort thought he had control, but he only had part. This also shows in the Aqua fight and in Xemnas's erratic behavior.

Aru

There's a time dilation in all realms but light. We've seen Aqua after KH2 and she looks the same as she did in BBS. And we saw Ven in 3D and he hasn't aged either.

As for your list, Sora is a Darkness as is Terra. That's how you slot in Lea and Kairi. Also, your list fails to account for Xion when the entirety of the final world in 3D was screaming "Hey guys, Xion and Roxas are coming back!" Roxas has his own heart, so they'll likely awaken his heart with the Key to Return Hearts that Sora is looking for. Plus the OP of 3D couldn't very well show Lea and Kairi in battle as that would have spoiled the big twist and the secret ending.

Furthermore, people need to stop conflating that seven lights = keyblade wielders. They have at no point said that.

Was it at the end of DDD that we learned that Sora is a Darkness? I vaguely remember that now that you mention it, but it's still confusing.

zeemumu

I assumed that Castle Oblivion itself (or at least the room that Ventus is in) was in a sort of time stasis.

And Xehanort pretty much summed up Chi, didn't he?

In ancient times, people believed that light was a gift from an unseen land by the name of Kingdom Hearts. But Kingdom Hearts was safeguard by its counterpart, the χ-blade. Warriors vied for that precious light, thus beginning the "Keyblade War." The violent clash shattered the χ-blade into twenty pieces— seven of light, and thirteen of darkness. And the only real Kingdom Hearts was swallowed by the darkness, never to surface again.

Does Xenhanort exists when
heartless
ansem and xemnas come into play?

Also did kingdom hearts 3ds completely fuck up the story by having the
members of the organization get their hearts
back?

heartless

back?

Correction. The story was already completely fucked up and DDD only revealed the true depth of that fucked-upness to us.

Malyse

heartless

back?

No. Xehanort returned when Xemnas and Ansem SoD were destroyed. Unless you meant in 3D.

Not really. It changed how Days worked and it made Xemnas's orders to not interact with others make more sense. As well as the black coats. Time travel was much more of an issue.

Top Bottom