• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

botty

Banned
But at that point his heart had not succumbed.

Master Xehanort: Darkness rules your heart--it gives me control. Muscle and sinew that once obeyed you now rebels against you. How you can remain here at all confounds the mind.
Terra: It's still my heart. You think you can just come in and take over? I'm no gonna sit by and let that happen.
Master Xehanort: Hmph. Don't you entertain notion of escaping me, boy. In the end, your heart will be engulfed by mine forever.

Terra: I'm not afraid of what the darkness holds now. Even if you do wrest control of my heart from me--even if you cast me into the deepest, darkest abyss--you'll never sway me from the one cause that pushes me to keep on fighting. Whatever the cost, I'm ready to pay it.
Master Xehanort: Brave words, to be sure. But I'm a patient man. We can take as much time as we need to settle this little property dispute. However, know this--You are just one of many roads that I might choose to take. Trust me, I made certain of that.​

It wasn't until later that Terra fully lost control. Xehanort thought he had control, but he only had part. This also shows in the Aqua fight and in Xemnas's erratic behavior.

As far as I know, the only thing Xehanort didn't have control over is Terra's mind, hence the Lingering Will fight. Also, isn't it suggested that Eraqus' light is the only thing protecting Terra?

edit: not saying u r wrong.

It also changes KH2 Sora. He wasn't killing heartless monsters, but actual beings.

Given that all of them apparently re-merged with their original hearts, I'm not willing to say he *killed* anyone.

KH2 offers evidence of the same recombination presumably happening to everyone in Pride Lands once Sora released the heart of that world back into the realm of light at the end of the game (since the only reason Simba was a summon was because his world had been consumed by the darkness - the same goes for Mushu and Dumbo, presumably).

Finishing off a Nobody or a Heartless is no more an act of murder than recombining Roxas and Ventus will amount to the 'death' of Roxas.

Malyse

As far as I know, the only thing Xehanort didn't have control over is Terra's mind, hence the Lingering Will fight. Also, isn't it suggested that Eraqus' light is the only thing protecting Terra?

edit: not saying u r wrong.

That passage was taken from a conversation inside apprentice Xehanort in the end of the game when Terra's mind had already been separated into the Lingering Will. And yes, Eraqus's light was protecting a portion of Terra's heart from Xehanort.

It also changes KH2 Sora. He wasn't killing heartless monsters, but actual beings.
I actually noticed that Sora is a little dark in KH 2, in Port Royal he's excited to be a pirate and in Pride Pands he wants to become King and rule the Pride Lands. idk, there's something off about he way he acts in KH 2, he wasn't like that in 1.

Malyse

Actually noticed that Sora is a little dark in KH 2, in Port Royal he's excited to be a pirate and in Pride Pands he wants to become King and rule.
Roxas gave him all that hate.

No, but again, Sora hasn't dealt with his darkness. And as was pointed out earlier, he's getting worse. Shadow to Antiform to Nightmare. And coded shows just how bad things can get.

zeemumu

If a organization member succumbs to darkness, does their replacement heart become a heartless? What happens to the old heart if they keep the new one? Do they have two hearts if they grow a heart and then reform? Was Axel given the rite of succession by Mickey since he should h ave gotten it from yen sid? What will Xion look like if she gets her own body if she can't exist at the same time as Sora unless she isnt connected to him and has her own heart?

If a organization member succumbs to darkness, does their replacement heart become a heartless? What happens to the old heart if they keep the new one? Do they have two hearts if they grow a heart and then reform? Was Axel given the rite of succession by Mickey since he should h ave gotten it from yen sid? What will Xion look like if she gets her own body if she can't exist at the same time as Sora unless she isnt connected to him and has her own heart?

Presumably Xion would need her own full set of memories (since precisely how she was taking away from Sora and Roxas was that she was absorbing their memories, and memories go a long way toward basically constituting who you are in KH).

zeemumu

Presumably Xion would need her own full set of memories (since precisely how she was taking away from Sora and Roxas was that she was absorbing their memories, and memories go a long way toward basically constituting who you are in KH).

I think the heart has more power over determining who you are. Your memories determine how powerfull you are.

Malyse

Hoo boy
Pretty sure they are just lost. Not every heart becomes a heartless.

See next.

No. They merge. New nobody hearts are super weak; that's the real reason Xemnas has them wear the black coats. A heartless would completely wreck a nobody if it were going for the heart.

We don't know. But Mickey was surprised too, so probably not. It could have been Sora via Roxas (or Xion), as it only takes holding the Keyblade at the same time to count. (And its Lea.)

She would look like Xion. She has a heart. This is another way coded is important; it shows that anything can grow a heart. Even a program or a puppet.

I actually noticed that Sora is a little dark in KH 2, in Port Royal he's excited to be a pirate and in Pride Pands he wants to become King and rule the Pride Lands. idk, there's something off about he way he acts in KH 2, he wasn't like that in 1.
He's defiantly a lot cockier in KH2.

Weiss

Banned
So what do you think the new gameplay addition for Kingdom Hearts 3 will be?

I'm hoping Flowmotion comes back in at least some limited form, and we get Keyblade morphing like we saw in the pre-rendered gameplay. I'd also like it if limits functioned like the Dream Eater combos in DDD, where you unleash a variety of super strong, flashy attacks, and not just "mash X and Triangle until everything dies" like KH2's Limits. Summons I hope are more like KH1 and have unique attacks and strong points, and more importantly I want them to feel useful and impactful. When I used Genie, Simba or Tinker Bell, it felt like a tool I had to bust out, and I don't want them to just be spam attacks.

I'm hoping Flowmotion comes back in at least some limited form, and we get Keyblade morphing like we saw in the pre-rendered gameplay. I'd also like it if limits functioned like the Dream Eater combos in DDD, where you unleash a variety of super strong, flashy attacks, and not just "mash X and Triangle until everything dies" like KH2's Limits. Summons I hope are more like KH1 and have unique attacks and strong points, and more importantly I want them to feel useful and impactful. When I used Genie, Simba or Tinker Bell, it felt like a tool I had to bust out, and I don't want them to just be spam attacks.

Flow Motion is fine *if* it's limited (like if you can only move that way during some sort of Drive Form equivalent and you can't chain wall jumps for infinite altitude under any circumstances).

But they've ALREADY talked about Attraction Flow (which looks like a combination between KH2's Reaction Commands and DDD's Reality Shift more than it looks anything like FlowMotion).

As for limits, ugh. Dream Eater limit breaky stuff is bad and KH2 limits are bad and every summon that isn't KH1 Tinkerbell or KH2 Stitch is also bad.

BBS's systems > DDD's systems in every aspect.

zeemumu

Keyblade transformations similar to Xehanort's and the ability to summon Disney rides are the only two confirmed at the moment.

Bladenic

So doing my Proud run in KH1 HD for the trophy. Giant Ursula was far harder than I remembered, main thing being that she seriously spammed that massive Lightning attack around her non stop. I would dodge it but the fight just took forever as a result.

But then I fight the Riku battle (the solo one) and I don't know what happened, but he didn't use that one Attack we all love at all. In fact, he was extremely easy (when I played the game on Standard I actually think I may have died once). Guard/Counter with some combos every now and then and Aerora and I never even went red.

I was thinking about the teaser trailer of KH 3, it shows Sora picking up Eraqus's Keyblade in Destiny Islands. Maybe the Keyblade reached the Island as the same way Sora and Riku get Kairi's bottle in the realm of darkness? I mean we know Aqua is locked in the realm and we get to see her using that keyblade in the extra episode of the BBS final mix. I just wonder why she left the Keyblade behind.

Malyse

I was thinking about the teaser trailer of KH 3, it shows Sora picking up Eraqus's Keyblade in Destiny Islands. Maybe the Keyblade reached the Island as the same way Sora and Riku get Kairi's bottle in the realm of darkness? I mean we know Aqua is locked in the realm and we get to see her using that keyblade in the extra episode of the BBS final mix. I just wonder why she left the Keyblade behind.
Not canon.

Famassu

While it may not be canon or something that actually happens in the story, I think it DOES have that particular keyblade )and Sora picking it up) deliberately.

In other news:

16245030455_eed1effe10_h.jpg

Finally got my 1.5 & 2.5 OST Box (there it is with the rest of my KH OSTs, that should be the whole KH collection so far, unless I've missed some release). It went to customs and spent 4 weeks there as I had no extra cash to pay for the taxes & other fees until earlier this week. -_-

As a bonus picture, my whole Yoko Shimomura collection

Still need to get at least Last Ranker's OST, maybe 3rd Birthday's soundtrack & Radiant Historia's whole OST (the picture features the small Piano Selection thing that came with Radiant Historia's Limited Edition) and definitely the Memoria collection, as far as Shimomura's work is conserned. Would love to get some of her Mario RPG OSTs but, alas, Nintendo sucks ass.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Have they stated anywhere if Sora will get new clothes for KH3? I feel like each mainline game should have a visual progression in character.

Although, for some reason, KH2 is still the only game to have Sora playable in his older form.

Falk

that puzzling face
Have they stated anywhere if Sora will get new clothes for KH3? I feel like each mainline game should have a visual progression in character.

Although, for some reason, KH2 is still the only game to have Sora playable in his older form.

Well, if KH2 rehash games ever get made (Mulan, Beast Castle, etc) I fully expect KH2 Sora to be used.

Malyse

Well, if KH2 rehash games ever get made (Mulan, Beast Castle, etc) I fully expect KH2 Sora to be used.
Sora has been the hero of all of 2.4 games. Plus we have no less than 10 wielders at this point, assuming Ephemera doesn't pop in as well. There's no reason to use Sora in a side game.
Kinda makes its inclusion in 2.5's credits a little baffling, no?
This is Square.

So far Nomura has said that both Riku and Sora are getting new outfits for KH 3.

Famassu

Not an answer.
As I said, even if the scene is not canon, Nomura obviously picked that particular keyblade for a reason. It's a clear hint as to what will be a major thread for the storyline of Kingdom Hearts III (saving Aqua from the realm of darkness & using the shown keyblade to restore Castle Oblivion back to its original form to save Ven).

As such, it's not just "lol, Square", but the usual Nomura teasing/hinting that he loves to do with KH promotion, even with stuff that doesn't directly relate to the storyline itself. I mean, a big part of the end movie of Birth By Sleep is something that isn't actually happening. Ven, Terra, Xion, Roxas etc. aren't actually somewhere in the universe of KH looking towards the horizon and saying Sora's name, it was just a cheesy way of hinting the future storylines of KH and how Sora will be important in resolving the situation with all the characters.

And of course Kairi will get a new outfit. She got one for KHII, she'll get one for KHIII

zeemumu

I think you guys might be overthinking it. It's probably just a cinematic version of an in-game cutscene. That's what their other teasers for console games have been. It'll probably be Sora's indicator as to where Aqua is since no one but Ansem knows that. Eraqus' keyblade was with her, right?

She has to be first to find, anyway. They need her because she's the only one who knows where in Castle Oblivion Ven is, and Riku is going to be the one to wake him up. Then they can use the Keyblade to restore hearts to restore Terra and maybe even Eraqus.

Weiss

Banned
Isn't the Land of Departure confirmed to be appearing in KH3? For that place to return as it was, Ventus and Aqua need to come back.

Also, who is Ephemera? A character from Chi?

Famassu

I think you guys might be overthinking it. It's probably just a cinematic version of an in-game cutscene. That's what their other teasers for console games have been. It'll probably be Sora's indicator as to where Aqua is since no one but Ansem knows that. Eraqus' keyblade was with her, right?
If this was any other franchise/person in charge, I'd agree, but Nomura is known to do this. It would be just like him to do a teaser trailer like this that isn't canon but still features something for those who remember what Eraqus' keyblade looks like and that Aqua had it last to piece together the storyline a bit.

It's not really all that far-reatching to think that while the short scene in the E3 trailer might not actually even be in the the game (and is probably more of a "here's what we're aiming for with the look of the game", much like KH3D's first appearance was just to show KH in 3D instead of having any actual ties to Dream Drop Distance), it featuring the keyblade Aqua was last seen with is a small *wink, wink* from Nomura to fans about KHIII's storyline.

And given that Mickey spent some time with DiZ, I think Mickey already knows where Aqua is but doesn't know how to get her out of there.

Isn't the Land of Departure confirmed to be appearing in KH3? For that place to return as it was, Ventus and Aqua need to come back.

I think there was some confusion about that? Some early reports of some of the teaser from the KH2.5 launch event said that Land of Departure had been seen, but I think I read some people saying it was actually Daybreak Town from KH Chi. Still, I don't doubt that something like what happened to Hollow Bastion in KHII will probably happen to Castle Oblivion in KHIII.

Malyse

Not an answer.
Not valid. Look at my quote. Trailers are not indicative of the game. If we were analyzing a plot point in the game, then yeah. But not a trailer. Especially not a teaser. How many things have shown up in KH trailers that aren't in the final game? Come on, man. This is Square. FFXIII had a trailer with an entirely different gameplay system, ffs. And Nomura also said they revealed KH3 too early. Don't be shocked if you don't learn keyblade transformation until Sora's new outfit.

Malyse

If this was any other franchise/person in charge, I'd agree, but Nomura is known to do this. It would be just like him to do a teaser trailer like this that isn't canon but still features something for those who remember what Eraqus' keyblade looks like and that Aqua had it last to piece together the storyline a bit.

It's not really all that far-reatching to think that while the short scene in the E3 trailer might not actually even be in the the game (and is probably more of a "here's what we're aiming for with the look of the game", much like KH3D's first appearance was just to show KH in 3D instead of having any actual ties to Dream Drop Distance), it featuring the keyblade Aqua was last seen with is a small *wink, wink* from Nomura to fans about KHIII's storyline.

And given that Mickey spent some time with DiZ, I think Mickey already knows where Aqua is but doesn't know how to get her out of there.

I think there was some confusion about that? Some early reports of some of the teaser from the KH2.5 launch event said that Land of Departure had been seen, but I think I read some people saying it was actually Daybreak Town from KH Chi. Still, I don't doubt that something like what happened to Hollow Bastion in KHII will probably happen to Castle Oblivion in KHIII.

In 3D they alluded that they already have one of the trio rescued already. As they don't know about Terra and they can't possibly get to Ven, it has to be Aqua.

Also, I heard that both LoD and DT were shown. I'm hoping that there some time travel insanity, so DT can be the graveyard.

Ephemera.png

Ephemera completely fucked up what we thought we knew in [chi]. There's a distinct chance that this game is the latest in the timeline.

Famassu

When was that alluded to?
Yeah, I got the impression that they maybe know more or less accurately where Aqua & Ven are (& Terra's fate) and maybe even have a bit of a plan of how to get them back, but they would still need to actually execute their plans and get them back. I'd think a big part of KHIII's story will be maybe somehow getting to the realm of darkness to get Aqua back (perfect excuse to make Sora run through a few Disney worlds, gathering stuff or doing something that will help them with that) , then rescuing Ven from Castle Oblivion and returning him his heart.

My bad. Actually in coded, not 3D

Mickey: Yen Sid... I think we're finally close to figuring out where Ven's heart is.
Yen Sid: Is that so? Then that leaves only Terra.

That implies Aqua is okay.
Nah I think it implies that they already know where Aqua is, not that they rescued her already.

Bladenic

Really hope Kairi is a constant presence in KH3. My hope is that she's the one who dives into the heart at the beginning.

Also I can't wait to hear Hayden Panetierre voicing her, the disconnect between voice and character age/appearance will be delicious.

I'm replaying Dream Drop Distance and holy shit it needs a lot of work to be nearly as good as BBS. No command melding, abilities are tied to the fucking pokemon, flowmotion breaks the game... I wonder if a Final Mix could save it :l

Point is that Aqua aint in danger atm.
yep, hope we see a lot of her in KH 3

zeemumu

My bad. Actually in coded, not 3D

Mickey: Yen Sid... I think we're finally close to figuring out where Ven's heart is.
Yen Sid: Is that so? Then that leaves only Terra.

That implies Aqua is okay.

I think it implies more that they know where she is. If she was already rescued they could have gotten Venn's body back at any time.

Edit: beaten

The way that I've seen it so far is that the combination of the Keyblade to Return Hearts and Riku's new ability are to wake up Venn, but to do that they need Aqua. Then the Keyblade to Return Hearts can be used to restore Roxas and possibly Xion, and give Terra control over his body again. They never specified what happened to Terra's heart when Xehanort became a heartless.

Top Bottom