• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Famassu

The way that I've seen it so far is that the combination of the Keyblade to Return Hearts and Riku's new ability are to wake up Venn, but to do that they need Aqua. Then the Keyblade to Return Hearts can be used to restore Roxas and possibly Xion, and give Terra control over his body again. They never specified what happened to Terra's heart when Xehanort became a heartless.
Wasn't it pretty clearly shown in BBS that while Xehanort took control over Terra completely (heart & body), Terra kind of remained in some small corner of his heart, always kind of prepared to fight back against Xehanort over the control of his body if there ever was an opening?

Kind of like Heartless Ansem <-> Riku post-KH1, except the other way around. Riku took control back but some part of Heartless Ansem still remained and if Riku slipped up, he could've possessed Riku again.

kh3rkuxd.jpg
Where is this from? Seems fake. No way is KHIII releasing this year or Square Enix even aiming for a Fall 2015 release when even Fall 2016 is probably pretty optimistic

just finished bbs (including secret episode)

I really want Aqua to have a major role in KHIII.

Well, considering she's needed for Ven and has to be part of the seven of light, she has to have a pretty major role in KHIII, but I wouldn't expect her to be playable or anything. I'm actually preparing for the worst: Sora being the only playable character (apart from maybe Kairi being playable in the tutorial/intro of KHIII). I'm usually pretty optimistic, but for some reason I don't dare to hope that they'd offer at least Sora, Riku & Kairi as playable characters in the game, let alone Ven, Lea & Aqua being playable. So far they've only talked about & shown Sora, how they've been balancing end game Sora & all that and no hints has been given as to even a remote possibility of there being more than one playable character. And we know Nomura considers mainline KH games as "Sora's games" and the whole multiple playable main characters thing is mostly a thing they do with smaller side releases and non-mainline games.

I do hope I'm wrong, but with this I'm keeping my expectations pretty low. Sora as the main playable character with maybe moments of control over other characters at key story moments (Roxas during intro of KHII, Riku in the finale in KHII) and/or randomly at other times (Mickey saving Sora in KHII) is the scenario I'm preparing for.

Malyse

In eight games, you've only had a single player character three times: KH1, Coded, and [chi]. Sora was the star of one of those games. I wouldn't worry about having only sora playable.

Famassu

In eight games, you've only had a single player character three times: KH1, Coded, and [chi]. Sora was the star of one of those games. I wouldn't worry about having only sora playable.
KHII is basically a game with only one playable character. Sora is the star of the show for 99% of the game and there's no way to change that. KHII is not like Chain of Memories, Birth By Sleep or Dream Drop Distance where you can more or less freely decide who you play as and where the game has a long separate story scenario for each of those playable characters. When I'm talking about having more than one playable character, I'm not talking about temporary story-related short segments where you get to control someone for a few seconds or short introductory tutorial segments, I'm talking about actually having a character you control throughout the story past the tutorial and a character you actually get to have some input on developing (picking abilities, leveling them up, choosing their equipment etc.), none of which applies to Mickey, Roxas or Riku in KHII.

That's what I'm adressing. People will probably expect KHIII to be like BBS, CoM & DDD and offer multiple story scenarios with different characters simply because that's what they are used to by now and because this will be the first mainline game where the actual story is about seven keyblade wielders preparing for an epic showdown with the big baddie (instead of a single one's search for his friends), so you'd kind of expect at least a few if not all of those seven to be choosable as a character you can play through the story with. I'm just not so certain that the game will offer anything more than a Kairi intro tutorial (perhaps showing a bit of her training & her dive) and maybe Riku, Lea & Aqua being playable during a few short segments in the game closer to the end (Sora probably won't beat all the different Xehanorts alone, maybe a few of them will be fought temporarily as other characters), but not each of those characters having their own path through the story that you can freely choose between.

So you'll pick new game, maybe go through the intro with another character and then spend a majority of the rest of the game in Sora's shoes. At least I'm preparing it to be this way so that it's not too disappointing if it turns out to be so. Not saying it's impossible for the game to have other major playable characters, more so just trying to keep expectations in check rather than expecting the game to have 7 freely choosable playable characters with story scenarios of their own. Mainline titles are mostly about Sora by Nomura's own words and I expect KHIII to continue to be that way, somewhat unfortunately (not that it won't be fun).

And I'd add Days to the single playable character games as well, since the other characters are only playable in multiplayer mode while Roxas is the star of the single player mode and you can't change that. Much like Uncharted is also a game with a single playable character, despite its multiplayer giving you control over other characters.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I expect a Riku story at the very least.

Some guy named Zephyr was at the event that showed exclusive KH 3 footage, he's trying to recreate the stuff he saw so everyone can see it. Here's his recreation of the Keyblade Sora was using in that footage:
and here's the room sora was in:
I like the way the Keyblade looks, I hope it's close to what it actually looks like.
EDIT:
Here's the KH 3 synopsis:
"Believing light and darkness must remain in balance, Master Xehanort seeks to spark war against the tyranny of light to restore equilibrium. In an effort to undermine Xehanort's plot, Sora, Donald and Goofy search for seven guardians of light and the Key to Return Hearts, while King Mickey and Riku search for previous Keyblade wielders. KINGDOM HEARTS III features a mature Sora as the main protagonist who sets forth on an adventure with Mickey, Donald and Goofy through new and legendary Disney worlds. KINGDOM HEARTS III will make full use of next generation console technologies to showcase a stunning universe packed full of worlds based on Disney properties."
The Key to Return Hearts? Maybe it's what Sora will use to free Roxas, Xion, and Ventus? And it looks like Riku and Mickey are the ones who are going to search for Ven, Aqua, and Terra. I'm also pretty convinced now that Sora might be the only playable character in KH 3. That sucks :/

Wait, where did you find this synopsis?

And I believe they need Aqua first so then they gain acess to Ven's chamber.

Edit: Nevermind, this synopsis is from the announcement day, i'm lazy lol

Psxphile

Some guy named Zephyr was at the event that showed exclusive KH 3 footage, he's trying to recreate the stuff he saw so everyone can see it. Here's his recreation of the Keyblade Sora was using in that footage:

I like the way the Keyblade looks, I hope it's close to what it actually looks like.
Awful nice of him. Still would rather see the real thing, ball's in your court SE.

EDIT:

The Key to Return Hearts? Maybe it's what Sora will use to free Roxas, Xion, and Ventus? And it looks like Riku and Mickey are the ones who are going to search for Ven, Aqua, and Terra. I'm also pretty convinced now that Sora might be the only playable character in KH 3. That sucks :/
Yeah we went over this already, but if anything it sounds like you'll be playing as teams: Team Sora, Team Riku, etc. Multiple storylines running parallel to each other, like BBS... and maybe even intersecting at points. If so, I wonder if they'll keep certain gameplay systems unique to each team?

Wait, where did you find this synopsis?

And I believe they need Aqua first so then they gain acess to Ven's chamber.
I found it on KHInsider but I've seen it in other places too. And you're right, I think Riku and Mickey are going to try and find a way to go into the Realm of Darkness and find Aqua.
----
It looks like KH 3 might be opening with young Xehanort and young Eraqus? From an interview:
---You used the opening section of KH3 in a recently released trailer for KH2.5, didn't you. The conversation between those strangers was rather enigmatic.

Nomura: I had received so many responses after releasing that play video previously, and I could feel that people were eagerly anticipating KH3. I really wanted to put out some sort of message, even though I couldn't show any content at that time. And, I wanted to show everyone that KH3 begins somewhere nobody is expecting, with speaking from new voice actors that haven't appeared in the series before. I really enjoyed seeing everyone try to guess who those two are.

---We definitely were surprised. We hadn't expected it to begin like that at all.

Nomura: I wanted to go with an introduction that wouldn't make fans be like 'yeah, we knew that' upon seeing the opening section, and that would have both fans who knew the series and fans who didn't be like 'what's this? What's going to happen next?' and start feeling anticipation. I do this every time, but I want to try and make things even for both fans and newcomers. By the way, the conversation between those two is actually a lot longer, it goes for over two minutes. When you hear their conversation, you'll understand the flow of everything so far.
I want Kairi's dive damn it Nomura :(

I found it on KHInsider but I've seen it in other places too. And you're right, I think Riku and Mickey are going to try and find a way to go into the Realm of Darkness and find Aqua.
----
It looks like KH 3 might be opening with young Xehanort and young Eraqus? From an interview:

I want Kairi's dive damn it Nomura :(

Yep, Nomura said KH III would open in a age prior to even BBS. I wonder if we'll get to play there first, you know, playing as Xehanort then discovering things about Kingdom Hearts, Keyblade War and etc and then "Kingdom Hearts III" logo is shown at the screen and we start playing as Sora.

Malyse

EDIT:

I'm guessing the starlight hasn't reached its final form, meaning the PC in [chi] is significantly more powerful than anyone else.

Awful nice of him. Still would rather see the real thing, ball's in your court SE.

Yeah we went over this already, but if anything it sounds like you'll be playing as teams: Team Sora, Team Riku, etc. Multiple storylines running parallel to each other, like BBS... and maybe even intersecting at points. If so, I wonder if they'll keep certain gameplay systems unique to each team?
Let's see.. Team Riku would be Riku and Mickey right? Team Kairi could be Kairi and Lea which would be hilarious. The third slot for them could be a character from the world they're currently in while Sora only has Donald and Goofy.

Yep, Nomura said KH III would open in a age prior to even BBS. I wonder if we'll get to play there first, you know, playing as Xehanort then discovering things about Kingdom Hearts, Keyblade War and etc and then "Kingdom Hearts III" logo is shown at the screen and we start playing as Sora.
Playing as Young Xehanort..hm.... could be cool.

I'm guessing the starlight hasn't reached its final form, meaning the PC in [chi] is significantly more powerful than anyone else.
Which would be crazy, and I'm not sure if I could take Chi getting even more crazy.

Bladenic

That KH3D thread reminded me how much I hate that smug bastard Yen Sid. Hope Sora goes full Sith and fucks him up.

Also KH3 really needs to have Sora experience a massive mental breakdown, he's always 2nd best, 2nd choice, and used and abused by every villain this series has had. And despite saving the UNIVERSE twice, he's not considered a Keyblade master, but Riku, who abused darkness so much that a supremely evil Heartless could possess him, well, he is a Keyblade master somehow. I mean, I get why, but it's bullshit.

And who's at fault for that? Fucking Yen Sid.

aravuus

What? No god fucking no, there are enough JRPGs and anime with protagonists going through a heroic BSOD every 2 hours, it never works

Sora having a stupid mental breakdown is the last thing KH needs

Famassu

That KH3D thread reminded me how much I hate that smug bastard Yen Sid. Hope Sora goes full Sith and fucks him up.

Also KH3 really needs to have Sora experience a massive mental breakdown, he's always 2nd best, 2nd choice, and used and abused by every villain this series has had. And despite saving the UNIVERSE twice, he's not considered a Keyblade master, but Riku, who abused darkness so much that a supremely evil Heartless could possess him, well, he is a Keyblade master somehow. I mean, I get why, but it's bullshit.

And who's at fault for that? Fucking Yen Sid.
Sora might be powerful, but he's too dumb, naive, emotional and easy to confuse/lead on to be a Keyblade master. He lacks the discipline that Riku has showcased post-evil-dude-possession and it's perfectly good reason to not give him the title. Sora is just too easily manipulated.

Famassu

You did say only playable character.
No I didn't. Or well, I did write "only playable character", but then specified what I meant with that. Not that Sora is the only one you ever get to control, but that he's the main playable character while others, AT MOST, only temporarily fill in some more or less story-related role for a short while, not that they are equal playable characters to Sora.

And again it's not seven keyblade wielders. It's seven guardians of light.
Mickey lists the guardians in Dream Drop Distance, all of who are keyblade wielders (though mistakenly thinks Terra is one of them and hasn't quite figured who'd be the last one, roles later revealed to most likely be filled by Lea & Kairi). Not sure what it is with that KHIII story synopsis and Sora being on the lookout for the seven guardians when DDD kind of makes it clear it's supposed to be people like Mickey, Riku, Kairi, Lea & Sora who will fill those roles and how they'll need to get Aqua & Ven back so that they have the full seven.

I actually undertand Yen Sid decision about only Riku becoming a keyblade master, yeah Sora saved the worlds twice and that's great but the challenges he fought were not the real deal, that's why they both had to participated in the tests and well, Sora was played like a puppet by the villains in it. He kept chasing the dreams/illusions even while Riku was telling him not to, so as some said he's really naive.

Sora isn't a master, hell he isn't even a keyblade chosen one. But he doesn't need to be neither of those, what's makes him special is the fact that he's the only key to end the hurt of so many people that are connected to him.

That's how I see it at least.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Something I noticed in a playthrough of BbS: they make it a point to never let Mickey meet Terra, so he of course doesn't recognize Terranort in between BbS and KH1 and figure out what happened. I thought that was neat.

On that note, the seven keyblade wielders seem set in stone: Sora, Riku, Kairi, Aqua, Ven, Lea, and Mickey. Terra is most likely part of the new Organization as the revived Apprentice Xehanort, so he's out.

Can't wait to see everyone's redesign for KH3, especially Lea. His clothes in BbS were pretty cool and it'll be nice to finally see him out of the boring XIII raincoat.

Something I noticed in a playthrough of BbS: they make it a point to never let Mickey meet Terra, so he of course doesn't recognize Terranort in between BbS and KH1 and figure out what happened. I thought that was neat.

On that note, the seven keyblade wielders seem set in stone: Sora, Riku, Kairi, Aqua, Ven, Lea, and Mickey. Terra is most likely part of the new Organization as the revived Apprentice Xehanort, so he's out.

Can't wait to see everyone's redesign for KH3, especially Lea. His clothes in BbS were pretty cool and it'll be nice to finally see him out of the boring XIII raincoat.

I'm kind worried about Sora's new design. His clothes in KH 2 were soooo good. Guess we'll find out this year.

Malyse

Absolutely not. The plot synopsis for KH3 specifically says they are seeking the guardians. Guardian doesn't automatically mean keyblade wielder. Don't be shocked when one of the Guardians doesn't even use a keyblade.

Sora isn't a master, hell he even isn't a keyblade chosen one. But he doesn't need to be neither of those, what's makes him special is the fact that he's the only key to end the hurt of so many people that are connected to him.

Sora is the keyblade's chosen one. It's why he can wield in the first place. Normally you have to have a Bequeathing to get to wield (Like Riku and Kairi), but in this case the capricious keyblade forsook the person it was intended for and went with Sora. Leon specifically says so.

Leon said:
They'll come at you out of nowhere. And they'll keep on coming at you as long as you wield the Keyblade. But why? Why would it chose a kid like you?
And
Leon said:
It was the only way to conceal your heart from them. But it won't work for long. Still hard to believe you are the chosen one.

Mickey lists the guardians in Dream Drop Distance, all of who are keyblade wielders (though mistakenly thinks Terra is one of them and hasn't quite figured who'd be the last one, roles later revealed to most likely be filled by Lea & Kairi). Not sure what it is with that KHIII story synopsis and Sora being on the lookout for the seven guardians when DDD kind of makes it clear it's supposed to be people like Mickey, Riku, Kairi, Lea & Sora who will fill those roles and how they'll need to get Aqua & Ven back so that they have the full seven.

Occam's razor. If they meant keyblade wielders, then why would they consistently and intentionally say Guardians of Light instead of keyblade wielders. That's a pretty stupid mistake. No, keyblade wieldes are more likely to be guardians, but in no way has it ever been implied that there is a one to one correlation.

MX: However, I have not abandoned my ambitions— the seven guardians of light and the thirteen seekers of darkness.
Mickey: Seven guardians of light? Well, for Keyblade wielders, there's me and Riku and Sora. And my three missing friends, that's six. [...]
MX: Yes little king, perceptive. But Sora, and another on your list belong to me now. And that puts you three guardians short.

Sora is the keyblade's chosen one. It's why he can wield in the first place. Normally you have to have a Bequeathing to get to wield (Like Riku and Kairi), but in this case the capricious keyblade forsook the person it was intended for and went with Sora. Leon specifically says so.

It is, really? Even Sora acknowledge he isn't one, despites what Leon or anyone else may say. I interpreted that Sora earned the ability to wield a Keyblade thanks do Ventus's hearts. But oh well, if even Lea was able to wield it I might be wrong.

zeemumu

I could've sworn that he can only wield one because of Venn's heart and because Riku decided to immediately peace out into darkness and the keyblade use him as a 2nd option.

Leon has no idea what went down on the island or who Terra, Aqua, or Ventus are. He was going off of what he saw, which was "this kid has the keyblade so he must be the chosen one." Riku was the chosen one and Sora was his understudy up until Hollow Bastion where Riku went completely into darkness and Sora became the keyblade's wielder permanently

Malyse

Isn't Terra's heart floating around the world?
You know how Ventus (and Roxas and Xion) are sleeping inside of Sora's heart? Terra is inside Xehanort. That's why the power to awaken sleeping hearts is so important: they can use that to awaken Terra from Xehanort's heart and get him back. And on the plus side, that will probably let them get aware with Terra being the same age as BBS. (the power to awaken is also how Xion and Roxas will come back)

You might be thinking of Terra's will, the Lingering Sentiment.
He's one of the vessels of Master Xehanort. He's basically a member of the new Organization XIII.
Terra's body is Xehanort.

zeemumu

They asked at the moment, so yeah. Xehanort.
That's what made me curious about Terra's heart. Xehanort's heart became Ansem SoD. Did Terra's go with it? Kairi's heart was sleeping within Sora and she didn't go into the Heartless with him. Did Terra's go elsewhere after Xehanort lost his (technically Terra's) body? It wasn't merged like Venn's is to Sora's. It's just kinda hanging around in there until it can assert dominance again.

Malyse

That's what made me curious about Terra's heart. Xehanort's heart became Ansem SoD. Did Terra's go with it? Kairi's heart was sleeping within Sora and she didn't go into the Heartless with him. Did Terra's go elsewhere after Xehanort lost his (technically Terra's) body? It wasn't merged like Venn's is to Sora's. It's just kinda hanging around in there until it can assert dominance again.

Kairi's heart was released when sora became a heartless. It's why Sora became a heartless. Terra's heart went with Ansem SoD. His heart has been completely dominated by Xehanort.

Famassu

Absolutely not. The plot synopsis for KH3 specifically says they are seeking the guardians. Guardian doesn't automatically mean keyblade wielder. Don't be shocked when one of the Guardians doesn't even use a keyblade.
I don't know what is going on with that plot synopsis for KHIII. It's pretty clear from the end of Dream Drop Distance that the guardians are supposed to be the seven keyblade wielders on the side of light we know at the moment.

The line-up Mickey talks about originally is Mickey, Sora, Riku, Terra, Ven and Aqua. Xehanort then says he has Sora & Terra, so that leaves them three Guardians short. But Sora is saved soon after and Lea enters the scene, making it pretty clear he's one of the seven. That leaves them only one person short. I guess the seventh could be someone new, but then right at the end they reveal that they are going to train Kairi as a keyblade wielder, so they are obviously trying to make her one of the seven.

I think there's something funky about the synopsis (it's not the first time an official synopsis would get the details a bit wrong) and Sora is maybe looking something that would make them all "officially" guardians of the light (like.. the light pieces of the X-blade) or stuff that will help them as the guardians of light to beat the 13 seekers of darkness. If Sora is actually looking for people who could be the guardians, then it would mean that the cutscenes at the end of Dream Drop Distance are completely wrong, that Xehanort is talking straight out of his ass when he confirms Mickey's list as being what he means with Guardians of Light.

Sora is a chosen one, but only one who became one out of the first choice succumbing to darkness. Riku was meant to be the chosen one but Sora became one instead, which is why everyone is so surprised of an ordinary idiot like Sora being the Keyblade wielder everyone had been looking for at the time of KH1. He's the second choice.

Occam's razor. If they meant keyblade wielders, then why would they consistently and intentionally say Guardians of Light instead of keyblade wielders.
Because that's their role in the lore/prophecy/Xehanort's plan. They aren't just Keyblade wielders, they fill the role of "guardians of light" in a plan that is intended to forge the X-blade again. And as you pointed out, Mickey's dialogue is "well... for keyblade wielders there's me and Riku and Sora. And my three missing friends ", so the guardians ARE also described as keyblade wielders, even if Mickey is still missing two of the pieces in his original dialogue.

That's a pretty stupid mistake. No, keyblade wieldes are more likely to be guardians, but in no way has it ever been implied that there is a one to one correlation.
Then who will they be? We already have the exact number of perfectly good candidates who are implied to be the guardians, one of whom is a recently made keyblade wielder and another who is seemingly going to be trained to become one to fill in the seven lights. Who are these missing guardians when we already have the seven in Sora, Riku, Mickey, Aqua, Ven, Lea and Kairi? Or is Sora looking for extra ones just in case Riku & Mickey fail in saving Aqua & Ven?

SoulUnison

Banned
So I was playing DDD before bed last night and just hanging around the Fifth District and Back Streets looking at the architecture when a thought struck me.

Worlds have hearts, right, and Traverse Town is an amalgam of the remnants of worlds that have been lost to darkness and had their hearts stolen, so for Traverse Town to exist in the first place the worlds that it's made of must have had exceptionally strong "hearts."

Could The World That Never Was be the "Nobody" of Traverse Town?

zeemumu

So I was playing DDD before bed last night and just hanging around the Fifth District and Back Streets looking at the architecture when a thought struck me.

Worlds have hearts, right, and Traverse Town is an amalgam of the remnants of worlds that have been lost to darkness and had their hearts stolen, so for Traverse Town to exist in the first place the worlds that it's made of must have had exceptionally strong "hearts."

Could The World That Never Was be the "Nobody" of Traverse Town?

A nobody is an empty husk. That would make Traverse Town a Heartless, but it was never lost to Darkness. Worlds lost to darkness get sucked into that realm in their entirety. They dont leave shells. Interesting theory though since Traverse Town hasn't been f ully explained and does bear a resemblance. There could be something there.

I want to see Lea fight Rinzler.

Traverse Town is an actual town - the world itself isn't made up of remnants of other worlds, but it's (mostly? wholly?) populated by escapees from other worlds. I think it was said that it exists basically just on the right side of the (metaphysical, not geographic) border between the realm of light and the realm of darkness.

We haven't been to any of the worlds fully pulled into darkness yet - only the ones that needed waking after they were brought back out of that world. Presumably if there's a BBS vol 2 it'll deal with worlds that are fully in the realm of darkness (which would be a good opportunity for Prydain, for example - or other worlds that generally exemplify a particular setting at the height of the villain's victory and dominance over that world - The Grid would have been a good candidate for this if it hadn't been used in DDD).

Traverse Town itself is one of the three clocktower-towns of the series (the third being Daybreak Town), each of which kind of seems to be frozen at a particular time of day. It'll be interesting to see if the three of them get merged in KH3.

Malyse

Traverse Town is an actual town - the world itself isn't made up of remnants of other worlds, but it's (mostly? wholly?) populated by escapees from other worlds. I think it was said that it exists basically just on the right side of the (metaphysical, not geographic) border between the realm of light and the realm of darkness.

We haven't been to any of the worlds fully pulled into darkness yet - only the ones that needed waking after they were brought back out of that world. Presumably if there's a BBS vol 2 it'll deal with worlds that are fully in the realm of darkness (which would be a good opportunity for Prydain, for example - or other worlds that generally exemplify a particular setting at the height of the villain's victory and dominance over that world).

Traverse Town itself is one of the three clocktower-towns of the series (the third being Daybreak Town), each of which kind of seems to be frozen at a particular time of day. It'll be interesting to see if the three of them get merged in KH3.

To be clear, Hollow Bastion/Radient Garden and Land of Departures/Castle Oblivion have clock towers too.

SolVanderlyn

We haven't been to any of the worlds fully pulled into darkness yet - only the ones that needed waking after they were brought back out of that world. Presumably if there's a BBS vol 2 it'll deal with worlds that are fully in the realm of darkness (which would be a good opportunity for Prydain, for example - or other worlds that generally exemplify a particular setting at the height of the villain's victory and dominance over that world - The Grid would have been a good candidate for this if it hadn't been used in DDD).

Daybreak Town has a fantastic design - I can't wait to see it fully rendered in KH3.

593px-Daybreak_Town_KHX.png

To be clear, Hollow Bastion/Radient Garden and Land of Departures/Castle Oblivion have clock towers too.

True. I'm sure the "town" island on Destiny Islands has one too, not to mention several of the Disney worlds (most notably in KH1 Neverland).

Clock towers are actually a recurring motif in KH to a pretty strong degree, even if we don't necessarily know if that's "about" anything or if it's just something Nomura likes.

zeemumu

Castle of Dreams is the only one we've seen so far that has been revisited after being pulled into the darkness. I know that TWTNW exists on the borderline of the darkness, which is why Maleficent couldn't control the heartless there.

Castle of Dreams is the only one we've seen so far that has been revisited after being pulled into the darkness. I know that TWTNW exists on the borderline of the darkness, which is why Maleficent couldn't control the heartless there.

Technically we know from KH1 that Pride Lands was pulled into the darkness and it's back in KH2. Heck, KH1 even implies that Hollow Bastion sort of was (since everyone had to flee to Traverse Town). It's not totally clear on how that works.

SoulUnison

Banned
Traverse Town is an actual town - the world itself isn't made up of remnants of other worlds...

I just looked at three different wikis and got these:

Traverse Town, a world cobbled together from the remains of worlds destroyed by the Heartless,

The world consists of the remnants of worlds which have been lost to darkness,

Traverse Town consists of the remnants of worlds whose hearts have been stolen by the Heartless, which is why anyone fortunate enough to survive the destruction of their world ends up there.

And then there's Ansem's Secret Report #11:

"...My friend has been fighting in the realm of darkness. Most likely he found his
way there through Traverse Town.

Like Castle Oblivion, that village also rests in the cleft between light and
dark. It consists of the remnants of worlds whose hearts have been stolen by
the Heartless..."

SoulUnison

Banned
So Traverse Town is actually its own nobody? Weird

Well, the way I interpret it, it would technically make it a "Heartless World." And I imagine that having a strong enough "World Heart" to cobble its scraps together to form a new world is sort of analogous to a person having such a strong heart that their Heartless retains a human/their original form.

And when a heart is that strong, it generates a Nobody at the same time, which is why I wonder what the deal is with The World That Never Was, and why it seems to share some aesthetic with Traverse Town.

Traverse Town's Fifth District and Back Streets remind me a lot of TWTNW's Memory's Skyscraper and Dark City.

Traverse Town got its own keyhole in KH1, though, so it could go in a lot of different directions. Maybe Traverse Town *is* the Nobody and the keyhole was similar to the regrowing of a heart that Nobody's were confirmed to be capable of as of DDD.

iosefe

Traverse Town got its own keyhole in KH1, though, so it could go in a lot of different directions. Maybe Traverse Town *is* the Nobody and the keyhole was similar to the regrowing of a heart that Nobody's were confirmed to be capable of as of DDD.

thats way deep

Top Bottom