• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Andrefpvs

I finally got to play 2.5 (finished KH2FM's prologue a couple of hours ago), but I made a point to re-watch 358/2 Days before, and I'm now a firm believer of the Days -> KH2FM play order.

They really made Days in a way that fits perfectly with KH2, and the new scenes added to Final Mix make it even more evident. Everything from Naminé's explanations, to the battle with Axel ("Two Keyblades?"), it all comes together in a way that makes the prologue to KH2 seem like it really is, instead, the epilogue to Days. Instead of playing 4 hours in the dark trying to figure out what's going on, you watch as Days' plotline walks toward its tragic conclusion.

I don't even think that Days spoiling Riku-Ansem even matters anymore, since the new Final Mix scene added after Sora leaves Twilight Town pretty much gives that away.

In the end, I now believe that playing KH2 first takes away much more from the Days experience (since you already know how it's going to end) than Days could ever take from KH2. Especially with KH2FM.

Yeah, DreamyDrop, I think it's important to use wording that makes it clearer what's fact and what's speculation/educated guesswork.

The fact that - as far as I can tell - nobody on the Internet managed to figure out the hidden-in-plain-sight Braig conversion in Birth By Sleep goes a long way toward persuading me that theorycrafting is pretty foolish.

This was actually pointed out by a lot of people, but at the point in time, all that was assumed was that pointy ears & yellow eyes = converted to darkness, not necessarily
partial Xehanort possession.

This was actually pointed out by a lot of people, but at the point in time, all that was assumed was that pointy ears & yellow eyes = converted to darkness, not necessarily
partial Xehanort possession.

Interesting that Vanitas has yellow eyes but *not* pointy ears, btw.

Malyse

sokai_firma__by_ilabarattolo-d8fhwqv.jpg

I finally got to play 2.5 (finished KH2FM's prologue a couple of hours ago), but I made a point to re-watch 358/2 Days before, and I'm now a firm believer of the Days -> KH2FM play order.

They really made Days in a way that fits perfectly with KH2, and the new scenes added to Final Mix make it even more evident. Everything from Naminé's explanations, to the battle with Axel ("Two Keyblades?"), it all comes together in a way that makes the prologue to KH2 seem like it really is, instead, the epilogue to Days. Instead of playing 4 hours in the dark trying to figure out what's going on, you watch as Days' plotline walks toward its tragic conclusion.

I don't even think that Days spoiling Riku-Ansem even matters anymore, since the new Final Mix scene added after Sora leaves Twilight Town pretty much gives that away.

In the end, I now believe that playing KH2 first takes away much more from the Days experience (since you already know how it's going to end) than Days could ever take from KH2. Especially with KH2FM.

I agree with what you're saying, however, KH 358/2 days blows away the suspense in knowing each remaining member of the Organization XIII in KH II. So I'd still recommend for a newcomer in the series to play II before 358/2 days.

zeemumu

Interesting that Vanitas has yellow eyes but *not* pointy ears, btw.
Yellow eyes is a runner up to the red eyes trope in movies and games that means that the character is now in the darkness. The yellow eyes thing in KH stemmed from the heartless having yellow eyes because of the darkness, right? Not just being Xehanort. The pointy ears may be Xehanort-specific. Anakin had yellow eyes at the end of Episode 3 and he was all up in the darkness.

Malyse

Yellow eyes is a runner up to the red eyes trope in movies and games that means that the character is now in the darkness. The yellow eyes thing in KH stemmed from the heartless having yellow eyes because of the darkness, right? Not just being Xehanort. The pointy ears may be Xehanort-specific. Anakin had yellow eyes at the end of Episode 3 and he was all up in the darkness.

With the info that Ephemera just gave us, I'm more convinced that the Foretellers are evil. The fact that we still haven't seen there faces makes me think they might have golden eyes.

Banzai

Sorry, I'm being serious :v
I can't think of one for Vexen and Zexion

The thing is that their heartless don't necessarily have to be bosses. A heartless' strength is determined by the amount of darkness in their hearts at the momemt of turning, unlike nobodies who get stronger the more willpower the original had.

All of this is speculation anyhow, but Zexion for example didn't seem to be a "dark" person before turning so his heartless might as well be one of those random book-heartless in KH2.
Vexen...no idea. We don't know much about his original. Could have been the ice-heartless from Agrabah in KH2, could have been a blue floaty thing from KH1.

Hey guys! Was playing 1.5 HD Remix and I'm just not liking Chain of Memories.....is it necessary for story?

Also is the story in RCoM the same as CoM

zeemumu

Hey guys! Was playing 1.5 HD Remix and I'm just not liking Chain of Memories.....is it necessary for story?

Also is the story in RCoM the same as CoM

Yes to both. I played KH2 before CoM. You'll be a little lost at the intro if you don't play that one first. At the very least, just watch the cutscenes.

Every game has plot relevance, even the cellphone game

Yes to both. I played KH2 before CoM. You'll be a little lost at the intro if you don't play that one first. At the very least, just watch the cutscenes.

Every game has plot relevance, even the cellphone game

What if I just read the synopsis? Or would you recommend me watching cutscenes? I'm just really not into the damn card thing.

Malyse

Just started. I just don't like the idea of cards. It instantly turns me off of the game. I've heard it got better but its just not doing it for me.

Also, why would you not recommend me go through cutscenes? Just a question :D

Because not playing a game you bought is weak. Plus you just started.

DreamyDrop do you still have that page detailing things from Chi? I kinda wanted to read updates on that front, if it's not much to ask...

Because not playing a game you bought is weak. Plus you just started.

I got 1.5 HD Remix and played more then 50 hrs of the first. Me not liking RCoM is weak? I don't like it. I feel that I've gotten the most playtime I could out of the first one and liked it to justify my purchase.

Grieves

The card system in CoM gets better as you progress through the game.

To start off you don't have many cards or access to many sleights, however if you can stick with it you can set up your deck to suit your play style and combat gets a whole lot better.

Malyse

I got 1.5 HD Remix and played more then 50 hrs of the first. Me not liking RCoM is weak? I don't like it. I feel that I've gotten the most playtime I could out of the first one and liked it to justify my purchase.

I don't think you've played enough of it to make a decision. Unless you are to the point where you are exclusively using sleights in combat, I think you are being rash. And:

To start off you don't have many cards or access to many sleights, however if you can stick with it you can set up your deck to suit your play style and combat gets a whole lot better.

I don't think you've played enough of it to make a decision. Unless you are to the point where you are exclusively using sleights in combat, I think you are being rash. And:

I just don't like it. After KHs awesome gameplay and then card based after that...I just want to play more of KHs gameplay so I wanna go straight to KH2. Sorry for being rash but its my decision whether it be good or bad! :D

zeemumu

I just don't like it. After KHs awesome gameplay and then card based after that...I just want to play more of KHs gameplay so I wanna go straight to KH2. Sorry for being rash but its my decision whether it be good or bad! :D

I don't like the card system either. I just tolerated it, so I see where you're coming from. You can just watch the cutscenes if you want. We won't think less of you for it

Yep. Even early on, it's smart to be stacking cards together even if they won't result in a sleight; you'll still prevent regular enemies from successfully attacking you and prevent your own attacks from getting interrupted.

Once they start resulting in Sleights it just gets better and better, of course.

botty

Banned
It's insane to think that Kingdom Hearts X will turn 2 this year, and has yet to make any significant impact on the series. Even Coded was more significant.

Malyse

Wait, what happened with Ephemera? (Read your plot synopsis but it stops when they try to get into the clocktower :C)

Because it literally just happened.

Player and Ephemera make a promise to meet the next day, we see a cutscene where he says "i'm sorry...... Player", and he never shows up at the meeting place.

Because it literally just happened.

Player and Ephemera make a promise to meet the next day, we see a cutscene where he says "i'm sorry...... Player", and he never shows up at the meeting place.

Oh god, weird shit...

And when do you think the story will progress? Or the new "chapters" are uploaded whenever they feel like it?

zeemumu

What I got from reading that plot synopsis and what Ephemera tells you is that the worlds that you're visiting are sleeping worlds, and you're only going there to collect the light fragments within them. Daybreak is the only actual world, which is why it serves as the hub.

The World that Never Was may have been an initial candidate for the "world that does not exist" that Ephemera said was built in Daybreak to travel to the sleeping worlds. Maybe that's why it features so prominently in DDD.

And since the source of that is apparently the book of prophecy, maybe Yen Sid actually possesses his faction's, which would explain why he's able to use sleeping worlds for the mark of mastery and knows so much about the prophecy. Xehanort most likely found hisfaction's as well and used it to manipulate portals through time and into the darkness.

Malyse

What I got from reading that plot synopsis and what Ephemera tells you is that the worlds that you're visiting are sleeping worlds, and you're only going there to collect the light fragments within them. Daybreak is the only actual world, which is why it serves as the hub.

The World that Never Was may have been an initial candidate for the "world that does not exist" that Ephemera said was built in Daybreak to travel to the sleeping worlds. Maybe that's why it features so prominently in DDD.

And since the source of that is apparently the book of prophecy, maybe Yen Sid actually possesses his faction's, which would explain why he's able to use sleeping worlds for the mark of mastery and knows so much about the prophecy. Xehanort most likely found hisfaction's as well and used it to manipulate portals through time and into the darkness.

only one BoP

Top Bottom