• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Psxphile

In Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix is it possible to enter into Final Form without using the Two Become One keyblade?

I've Platimuned this game but I haven't been able to ever obtain this form without that keyblade and obviously anti sora over again .Is it not possible in final mix to enter it without that keyblade or am I just impatient? Basically what I am trying to do is have a save file where I have 0 anti sora transorms while obtaining Final Form. Dunno if possible, I haven't been able to do it,

It's possible, I think. Just highly unlikely. You don't *need* Two Become One, it just makes things faster. Vanilla KH2 didn't have it so Final Form had to be achieved the normal way. And the chance of triggering Final before getting Anti? Crazy low. But still possible. Save scumming would be in order.

aravuus

There's so much I hate about DDD's gameplay. The mons and flowmotion were neat ideas executed horribly. Monster raising sucks, the way you get your abilities from your monsters sucked, flowmotion broke the game and level design etc.

But yeah, it's decent. Okay for one playthrough and then never again.

aravuus

Not only that, but the only effective way to raise them is by playing fucking horrible minigames. They do get exp by fighting too, but compared to the stuff you get by playing minigames, the amount is insignificant.

Can't believe I'm about to play devil's advocate for Water Barrel here, but the mini-game itself isn't all that bad, and takes a little less than a minute.

The problem lies in the fact that it's the only really effective way to raise the monsters as it takes far to long to gain LP for them in battle. At that point, a relatively harmless minigame becomes an exercise in tedium because it's the only way you'll get LP in a reasonable amount of time.

Ahnez

How can I kill
Vanitas secret boss?
I'm level 30, with Aqua, I do no damage at all, and he destroys me in some seconds.

You mean
Vanitas Remnant?

Well, Lv 30 is just too low to fight it.

Also,
NEVER use Cure commands, if you use any Cure- spell, VR will also heal himself. Use healing items instead

Yep, the one in the badland.
I had a hard time on killing
Terra-Xehanort
on Final Episode, but I managed to do it easily by creating the shield with Aqua and resending him his shadow bullets.
But there's no match with this secret boss :l

You want the Mine Commands (Namely Mine Square, Mine Shield, and most importantly Seeker Mine) Set them, and try to lure him over to where you've placed them. Never use any cure command, as he'll use one on himself when you do and heal to full HP. Instead, try to use Hi-Potions. A keyblade like Pixie Petal or Brightcrest (in Final Episode) will work best, considering they're likely the keyblades with the highest magic stat Aqua will have at that point.

Ahnez

One more thing.

Use the basic Cartwheel (for its invencibility frames)

And, you should use potion (not High Potions), as you can carry 5 per slot.
Any hit from him will deal more damage than your max hp, you're just surviving thanks to Second Chance and Once More. So, you don't need stronger potions

I need to play KH2 Final Mix yet :l
I mean, I played the original on PS2, but there wasn't the additional boss.

Hell, and I'm playing on Beginner...but I think, since those enemies basically insta-kill you, playing on Critical here would be a benefit with the 25% plus damage bonus. I mean, they can kill you very quickly anyway, at least
Vanitas remnant

Wasn't the
the Mysterious Figure
in KH1 too? I defeated him on my first try here, dumb mode as usually. I think it was easier then BBS one.

Critical Mode normally only gives you a damage boost in KH2FM. Activating EXP Zero in BBS on Critical Mode does give you a bit of a damage boost, though.

As for the last thing, they're two entirely different boss fights, but still have the same "mysterious hooded character shows up and becomes an optional superboss" theme going on.

Ahnez

I need to play KH2 Final Mix yet :l
I mean, I played the original on PS2, but there wasn't the additional boss.

Hell, and I'm playing on Beginner...but I think, since those enemies basically insta-kill you, playing on Critical here would be a benefit with the 25% plus damage bonus. I mean, they can kill you very quickly anyway, at least
Vanitas remnant

Wasn't the
the Mysterious Figure
in KH1 too? I defeated him on my first try here, dumb mode as usually. I think it was easier then BBS one.

I'm pretty sure BbS critical mode actually halves your damage, and doubles the enemies' damage.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
About 3/4s through kh2 on critical now. I regret not choosing this difficulty from the beginning. It's really fun and definitely feels like the 'correct' way to play kh. I really don't find it much different than normal, honestly. It just forces you to play a little bit more defensively and make better use of your tools, and the bonus abilities make things like synthesis a much more painless process. Funnily enough, I died more as Roxas in the beginning than the rest of the game combined so far, although Mickey did have to help out once or twice. Also I forgot how long it is before you get last leave in kh2 compared to how early you can get it in 1. :p

Apparently though there is a 2.5 bug with one of xemnas' reaction commands that I hear can cause lots of problems on critical. I do remember getting thrown in the air and taking a bunch of hits while mashing triangle in the data fight on normal. Not really looking forward to that now.

Ahnez

Ah, dunno. Back in days I fully played KH1 and KH2, but on Normal. Those days, I just want to check new things added in those version, so I play on Beginner. I've really no joy on doing those games on higher difficulties, I can do them, but it would mean having a lot of rage and retries involved.
I can't think how
Vanitas
could be with double damage, lol.

Double damage really doesn't change much the superbosses, but the fact that you will cause even less damage to them is a huge change :p

Apparently though there is a 2.5 bug with one of xemnas' reaction commands that I hear can cause lots of problems on critical. I do remember getting thrown in the air and taking a bunch of hits while mashing triangle in the data fight on normal. Not really looking forward to that now.

You mean the 'We shall go together' attack?

I don't think its a bug. It happens in the PS2 version too.

The Reverse command actually is the counter to those thorn-like attacks, not the slashes. To evade the attacks, you should use reverse just before the hit connects, not immediately after the command shows up. Also, Aerial Dodge (the double jump) and the Reflect spells are very useful to avoid this attack.

Also, not reacting at all and taking all the hits will not kill you, due to Once More

Double damage really doesn't change much the superbosses, but the fact that you will cause even less damage to them is a huge change :p

You mean the 'We shall go together' attack?

I don't think its a bug. It happens in the PS2 version too.

The Reverse command actually is the counter to those thorn-like attacks, not the slashes. To evade the attacks, you should use reverse just before the hit connects, not immediately after the command shows up. Also, Aerial Dodge (the double jump) and the Reflect spells are very useful to avoid this attack.

Also, not reacting at all and taking all the hits will not kill you, due to Once More

There's definitely some sort of discrepancy between the PS2 and HD versions. The main problems are a) There's a slight bit of input delay in the HD version for reaction commands in general, and more importantly b) the reaction command flat out won't appear at all in some instances in the HD version when it definitely should. Aerial dodge followed by Reflect is effective (and what I use in lieu of the session limit), but good luck with that if you're out of MP when he initiates the attack.

WGMBY

I just finished Dream Drop Distance, and that made me want to pick up 1.5 and 2.5 HD. How different are these? Last ones I played were the original ones on PS2 when they released.

IIRC the half-damage stuff on Critical applies *before* the damage cap, so it really just means you have to be at a higher level to hit the damage cap. That's annoying but it's not the end of the world (and your defensive tactics matter more anyway).

sn00zer

All caught up outside of 3D....so some questions....no spoilers for 3D please

1. Is Roxas the Ven part of Sora's heart essentially making him Ven? If not why?
2. Why does the masked boy look like Sora if Sora had nothing to do with Roxas until after the heart stripping experiment when Ven "welcomed him into his heart"...that is what happened at the beginning correct?
3. Is the masked kid a heartless? If not why? I imagine he would be like a super heartless or something.
4. Why are there no unversed storywise post BbS?
5. Dah fuck is the memory shit at the end of recoded? What does th memories have to do with the lost hearts?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Finished my critical run. For some reason when Xemnas throws me in the air I can never react to the first hit. I played the fight over a few times to see just how random it actually was, but it got me on the first hit every single time. Really frustrating. I did the reflega trick and it worked fine though.

Now I guess it's back to my normal file to 100% the journal and go for the platinum.

1. Is Roxas the Ven part of Sora's heart essentially making him Ven? If not why?
2. Why does the masked boy look like Sora if Sora had nothing to do with Roxas until after the heart stripping experiment when Ven "welcomed him into his heart"...that is what happened at the beginning correct?
3. Is the masked kid a heartless? If not why? I imagine he would be like a super heartless or something.
5. Dah fuck is the memory shit at the end of recoded? What does th memories have to do with the lost hearts?
are you finished with BBS?
if not, spoilers:
Vanitas, the masked boy, didn't have a face when he was first born (He was born when Xehanort forced the Darkness out of Ventus thus splitting him in two) But since Sora's heart completed Ven's heart, Vanitas took the appearance of Sora because Vanitas' heart was still connected to Ventus'.
Vanitas is Ven's Darkness
The Unversed are Vanitas's emotions... it's hard to explain but basically Vanitas is full of hatred and negative feelings for Ven.. those feelings are strong enough to take a shape. Since Vanitas was reunited with Ventus, the Unversed are gone.

If you really want to understand Vanitas and the Unversed then you should go here and read the BBS Novels section.

1. Roxas looks like Ven because Sora is housing his heart, there is no deeper explanation. It's probable that Roxas actually housed Ven's heart when he was born.

2. When Vanitas was born he didn't have a human face. He started to look like Sora after the part of Ven's heart he took with him got filled by Sora.

3. Heartless do not have ''bodies'', Vanitas ''probably'' does. He's a unique entity in the series. I actually think most of the plot elements considering Vanitas are pretty lame. Like the whole X-blade plan in BBS and that the reason a huge invasion of Unversed is just due to Vanitas because of reasons.

4. Supposedly all Unversed dissapeared when Vanitas did.

5. I don't even remember most of the Re:Coded stuff because it really has no importance whatsoever.

Psxphile

Eh, figured they were just trying to throw him off his game. At this point they pretty much gave up on getting Roxas back (except Axel, apparently) and proceeded to switch the plan over to using Sora himself to complete Kingdom Hearts.

I had an interesting thought -

Especially given that KH3's theme is very much about the main villain splitting his essence into multiple people, it might be neat to see that mirrored in the way they handle Sephiroth in KH3 and let us fight the three brothers from Advent Children separately before unlocking Sephiroth.

On the other hand, KH2/BBS kind of overlapped with the Compilation of FF7 which is now totally dead, so if we're looking less at thematic stuff and more about marketing tie-ins, some FFXV stuff is by far the most likely (especially given that Nomura's obviously worked much more closely with that than he has with most other FF games).

Malyse

I had an interesting thought -

Especially given that KH3's theme is very much about the main villain splitting his essence into multiple people, it might be neat to see that mirrored in the way they handle Sephiroth in KH3 and let us fight the three brothers from Advent Children separately before unlocking Sephiroth.

On the other hand, KH2/BBS kind of overlapped with the Compilation of FF7 which is now totally dead, so if we're looking less at thematic stuff and more about marketing tie-ins, some FFXV stuff is by far the most likely (especially given that Nomura's obviously worked much more closely with that than he has with most other FF games).
I'd be much happier if Leon was the only returning ff character (simply because of the Rinoa tease, else I'd toss him too) and we pulled more characters. Especially if we go outside of FF. Mrgrgr bitches.

Ahnez

I'd be much happier if Leon was the only returning ff character (simply because of the Rinoa tease, else I'd toss him too) and we pulled more characters. Especially if we go outside of FF. Mrgrgr bitches.
As long as Noctis is in, I'm ok with this :p

Nothing wrong with a third Seph fight

Still, I would be happy if they stopped with that fairy thing and used the REAL Yuna :/

So I got KH3D today (After a week of ordering it) - Why does the gameplay get some much hate(IIRC the story makes the KH story more convoluted?)? All the improvements I've seen so far seem incredibly fun

EDIT-(some aren't balanced sure, but I just make sure not to spam them and it works).

Caladrius

Yo

So I got KH3D today (After a week of ordering it) - Why does the gameplay get some much hate(IIRC the story makes the KH story more convoluted?)? All the improvements I've seen so far seem incredibly fun

the abilities being tied to the dream eaters tbh
that's some bullshit

Basically. It's not a problem early on, but later in the game when you need certain abilities it gets to be a pain in the ass.

There's also issues with the level design brought about by the sloppy implementation of Flowmotion.

I found the endgame plot twist hilarious, but I don't take things too seriously to begin with

It's a fun game, but it needed waaaaay more time in the oven.

EDIT-(some aren't balanced sure, but I just make sure not to spam them and it works).

What's an improvement? The Dream Eater-tied limit attacks are pretty crummy compared to the power of BBS's Shoot Lock (though that was wildly imbalanced on lower difficulties, sure) and pretty inaccessible compared to BBS's Command Styles. There's no real D-Link equivalent (and no Finisher system).

Reality Shift is just kind of dumb most of the time.

Also, the Water Barrel minigame and the generally dull progression system. Monster capture/breeding/raising is generally more likely to severely damage the quality of a game than to improve it (see also FFXIII-2, Ni no Kuni) - it's really hard to get it right from a design perspective.

The only thing that's arguably an improvement on a systems level is FlowMotion, which is neat at first but completely broken in terms of level traversal (it "improves" platforming the same way that noclip cheats improve traversal in Quake). As far as combat is concerned, I don't think FlowMotion is really all that overpowered - in fact, it's underpowered and kind of a death sentence on Critical difficulty, since you can't cancel your way out of it the way you can cancel out of just about any Command Deck move - accidentally rolling into a wall can suddenly make you much more vulnerable than you want to be. It's just funny that there are level designs and chest placements clearly designed around *not* having FlowMotion (especially in chunks of the Three Musketeers world) and other level designs and chest placements (like one notable platform in the final world that you can't get to the top of *without* about thirty rounds of the broken jump/walldash-chaining technique).

I do think that DDD does a better job at differentiating between playable characters using the block/dash/dodge/etc techniques - Dark Roll is way more interesting and personality-driven (and gameplay-differentiating) than, like, Fire Cartwheel.

the abilities being tied to the dream eaters tbh
that's some bullshit

Yo

Basically. It's not a problem early on, but later in the game when you need certain abilities it gets to be a pain in the ass.

There's also issues with the level design brought about by the sloppy implementation of Flowmotion.

I found the endgame plot twist hilarious, but I don't take things too seriously to begin with

It's a fun game, but it needed waaaaay more time in the oven.

What's an improvement? The Dream Eater-tied limit attacks are pretty crummy compared to the power of BBS's Shoot Lock (though that was wildly imbalanced on lower difficulties, sure) and pretty inaccessible compared to BBS's Command Styles. There's no real D-Link equivalent (and no Finisher system).

Reality Shift is just kind of dumb most of the time.

Also, the Water Barrel minigame and the generally dull progression system. Monster capture/breeding/raising is generally more likely to severely damage the quality of a game than to improve it (see also FFXIII-2, Ni no Kuni) - it's really hard to get it right from a design perspective.

The only thing that's arguably an improvement on a systems level is FlowMotion, which is neat at first but completely broken in terms of level traversal (it "improves" platforming the same way that noclip cheats improve traversal in Quake). As far as combat is concerned, I don't think FlowMotion is really all that overpowered - in fact, it's underpowered and kind of a death sentence on Critical difficulty, since you can't cancel your way out of it the way you can cancel out of just about any Command Deck move - accidentally rolling into a wall can suddenly make you much more vulnerable than you want to be. It's just funny that there are level designs and chest placements clearly designed around *not* having FlowMotion (especially in chunks of the Three Musketeers world) and other level designs and chest placements (like one notable platform in the final world that you can't get to the top of *without* about thirty rounds of the broken jump/walldash-chaining technique).

I do think that DDD does a better job at differentiating between playable characters using the block/dash/dodge/etc techniques - Dark Roll is way more interesting and personality-driven (and gameplay-differentiating) than, like, Fire Cartwheel.

Ah, makes sense - yeah, flowmotion is fun but definitely needs more work. Although I like pet-raising games , it's pretty slow in DDD. Thanks for the info.

Ah, makes sense - yeah, flowmotion is fun but definitely needs more work. Although I like pet-raising games , it's pretty slow in DDD. Thanks for the info.

I think there are a number of good ways to improve FlowMotion without getting rid of it altogether, but most of them involve placing limits on it. I think it'd be cool to make it so that you can only use each FlowMotion move a single time in a given 'flow' or movement combo - this would eliminate jump-chaining your way up vertical surfaces while also potentially opening the door to cool platforming challenges where you need to string together all seven (or whatever) FlowMotion moves in order to get a certain chest. It'd be cool to have your "finishing" move do greater damage depending on how many FlowMotion moves you were able to stack before hitting the attack button - this would eliminate abuse of FlowMotion for offensive purposes.

Ahnez

Regarding KH3D ability system.. Its not hard to have all the useful Stat abilities at the same time. I believe one of the AR dream eaters already have 5 Attack and Magic Hastes

Considering that most of the important abilities, like Combo Plus, Second Chance and Once More are Support abilities (that are permanent), you can get all the useful abilities pretty fast

Regarding KH3D ability system.. Its not hard to have all the useful Stat abilities at the same time. I believe one of the AR dream eaters already have 5 Attack and Magic Hastes

Considering that most of the important abilities, like Combo Plus, Second Chance and Once More are Support abilities (that are permanent), you can get all the useful abilities pretty fast

It's stupid that you need to choose between having Dream Eaters who are great at combat, Dream Eaters that have good focus/limit attacks, and Dream Eaters with the correct support abilities for your preferred command deck. And that's when you're done leveling them all up.

I know DDD isn't too widely loved but as a fan of the series I still want to play it and have still managed to avoid spoilers for it. Now that I finally got a 3DS I was planning on buying it but everywhere either doesn't have it or sells it for way too much. Any ideas of where I can find a new copy for a decent price? All the stores around me have nothing and my only option seems to be to pay $50+ online which I don't want to do. :/

Malyse

I know DDD isn't too widely loved but as a fan of the series I still want to play it and have still managed to avoid spoilers for it. Now that I finally got a 3DS I was planning on buying it but everywhere either doesn't have it or sells it for way too much. Any ideas of where I can find a new copy for a decent price? All the stores around me have nothing and my only option seems to be to pay $50+ online which I don't want to do. :/
Who says it isn't widely loved? Don't let GAF mislead you.

The cheapest I found in the UK was £30 which is around $46 usd atm... $50 usd isn't too bad. Honestly, the game hasn't dropped in price here for around 6 months - I wasn't actively looking for it but whenever I have looked it was similarly priced everywhere. It's a full-sized kingdom hearts game despited being on 3DS (to my surprise). Larger cars = More expensive + this prob had large dev costs as well. Just bite the bullet now if you think you're going to eventually buy it anyways.

Do you think that SE will release KH HD 2.5 for PS4? like a Collector's Edition?
There have been no signs to indicate that they will. FFX HD is being released on ps4 so there's a chance. As for the collectors edition, FFX isn't getting one, it did have a limited edition on ps3. The announcement for FFX was out of nowhere and so the same thing may happen with KH... It's great as is in ps3 - @1080p apparently.
Anything else is mere speculation.

Malyse

_kh__fight_the_darkness_by_laulaubi-d8isrsr.png

Village

Question.

A while a go in this very thread, i think . Someone linked a video of some guy going over what he feels should happen to the future of the kh series. I believe this gentleman also had FFXV analysis videos on his channel.

If you know what I am talking about could you link him to me?
I would like to see if he has made more stuff

Cedric

Man, I'm playing through BBS HD Remix and having a lot of fun. I wonder if they're gonna revisit BBS worlds in 3, Dwarf Woodlands and Enchanted Dominion still have their villains on the loose. Speaking of which, I think Enchanted Dominion has the best Disney battle theme in the series, super catchy.

Between the (potential) returning worlds (Olympus, Enchanted Dominion...), the popular ones in demand (Star Wars, Frozen...) and the classic Disney properties that haven't been touched yet (Jungle Book...), I wonder how they're gonna balance it out for 3. I've been thinking they might split it up between KH3 and a possible BBS vol2, where Terra, Ven and Aqua would revisit and conclude the worlds they've been to.

Top Bottom