• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

zeemumu

You can literally play every game in the series with a PC, a PS3 and a 3DS.

Everything is streamlined enough as this point.

I meant when they were first released. It's easy enough now, but when these things first came out, you needed several different systems to play it. Obviously now you can just buy the HD remixes, but their accessibility might have contributed to some problems for Square Enix.

aravuus

You can literally play every game in the series with a PC, a PS3 and a 3DS.

Too little, too late. For years you had to own GBA, DS, 3DS and PSP in addition to PS2 to be able to play all the games.

At least it's not a problem anymore. But I've always thought it to be a pretty big cunt move to spread a series of games to so many different platforms.

I'm getting to the end of KH2FM (on ps3) and i don't want to finish it. I've had so much fun, just like always had with this game and it really has aged very well...

But time to go to The World That Never Was and find the best character with the best keyblade for the party.

zeemumu

I'm getting to the end of KH2FM (on ps3) and i don't want to finish it. I've had so much fun, just like always had with this game and it really has aged very well...

But time to go to The World That Never Was and find the best character with the best keyblade for the party.

Or

You could get to the last save room, leave the world, and complete every side mission and optional boss.

Famassu

Too little, too late. For years you had to own GBA, DS, 3DS and PSP in addition to PS2 to be able to play all the games.

At least it's not a problem anymore. But I've always thought it to be a pretty big cunt move to spread a series of games to so many different platforms.

Meh, you mostly needed PS2 & PSP until Dream Drop Distance. PS2 had KH1, Re:Chain of Memories and KHII, PSP had BBS. Those were the essential games prior to Dream Drop Distance. Days & Recoded are filler with almost nothing to contribute to the franchise, so people don't really miss much if they skipped those. For a game with continuous story that's almost 13 years old, it's not all that horrible that the major releases were spread to three different platforms.

Meh, you mostly needed PS2 & PSP until Dream Drop Distance. PS2 had KH1, Re:Chain of Memories and KHII, PSP had BBS. Those were the essential games prior to Dream Drop Distance. Days & Recoded are filler with almost nothing to contribute to the franchise, so people don't really miss much if they skipped those. For a game with continuous story that's almost 13 years old, it's not all that horrible that the major releases were spread to three different platforms.

Besides, you could play Days and re;coded on a 3DS. Even prior to the HD versions, you only needed a PS2, PSP and 3DS to play every single game. It's not really been a hard franchise to follow.

get ready for angry roxas fans

Famassu

Re:CoM never released in PAL land for PS2.

Because of reasons.
It wasn't all that hard or expensive to mod a PS2 & import Re:Chain of Memories. Not the ideal solution, but PS1 & PS2 had so many games that never came to Europe that making your PS2 be able to play games like Final Fantasy Tactics, Arc the Lad collection, most Atlus games, Xenogears, Xenosaga 1 & 3, Chrono Cross, Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden III, Parasite Eve, Threads of Fate, Brave Fencer Musashi, Lunar 1 & 2 etc. was not only worth it, it was basically mandatory, especially if you liked Japanese RPGs.

mostly filler that fleshes out several character's backstories but okay
Fleshes out & hints at some future developments but doesn't tell too much completely new information that is essential to understanding the bigger picture that wouldn't be explained (& explained better) later on. I think Xion's existence is the only thing that isn't handled at all in latter games (she's shown, but I don't remember if they say who she is).

It wasn't all that hard or expensive to mod a PS2 & import Re:Chain of Memories. Not the ideal solution, but PS1 & PS2 had so many games that never came to Europe that making your PS2 be able to play games like Final Fantasy Tactics, Arc the Lad collection, most Atlus games, Xenogears, Xenosaga 1 & 3, Chrono Cross, Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden III, Parasite Eve, Threads of Fate, Brave Fencer Musashi, Lunar 1 & 2 etc. was not only worth it, it was basically mandatory, especially if you liked Japanese RPGs.

Fleshes out & hints at some future developments but doesn't tell too much completely new information that is essential to understanding the bigger picture that wouldn't be explained (& explained better) later on. I think Xion's existence is the only thing that isn't handled at all in latter games (she's shown, but I don't remember if they say who she is).
They can't say who she is because no one remembers her :v

Tabris

I'm replaying Kingdom Hearts 2 for the first time since it came out on PS2.

Man, that line "Looks like my summer vacation is... over". So heart-breaking. Especially after watching 365/2 days on the KH1.5 remix.

Also what an amazing HD remaster.

Man, that line "Looks like my summer vacation is... over". So heart-breaking. Especially after watching 365/2 days on the KH1.5 remix.

Yeah... the game really shines with this remaster. All the particle effects, the music, everything is really polished and well looking.

Wow, just read up on those [chi] plot developments.

The plot seems to be going right the fuck off the rails in the best sense possible.

Malyse

The plot seems to be going right the fuck off the rails in the best sense possible.
You have no idea. That this is a sleeping world all but kills the Daybreak ➡ Graveyard theory. A plus since DBT is currently my favorite world in the entire series.

sn00zer

358/2 retro actively makes KH2s opening amazing and actually makes a ton of scenes better. Seriously feels like a punch in the gut any time Axel is on screen. Its not necessary for the overall plot but it makes KH2 much better.

sn00zer

Finally caught up to Bbs ... only took me 6 or so years... so some questions
1. Why does Xehanort neet to manipulate key blade weilders if both Ansem and Xehanort should be able to use keyblades?
2. Is Vens body still in Castle Oblivion?
3. Is Terra's heart still stuck in Xehanort?
4. Where can I find out what happens to the Organization btwn Bbs and Chain/358?
5. Is any of this answered in Recoded or DDD?
6. Is Bbs Vol 2 eve happening, seems that would answer q4

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
1 is all about Xehanort's plan to form the X-Blade. To see beyond the Keyblade War.
2 is yes
3 is... hard to say.
4 is no.

As for Birth by Sleep 2... we don't know. Nomura has recently stated he wants it to happen, but doesn't know how.

Given the somewhat half-finished nature of DDD and the lack of BBS volume 2, part of me thinks that Nomura was told rather abruptly to get off his ass and make KH3 even though the original plan was for the FF Versus XIII team to make it once they finished with that game (lol).

BBS 2 would also cover aqua's journey in the Realm of Darkness right? but, before or after she encounters Ansem the Wise there? ._.

sn00zer

So Recoded is Data Sora getting Big Shelled?
EDIT lol certain parts of recoded are a retelling of a retelling of a retelling of KH1

luka

Loves Robotech S1
my last post here was in october and i said i was gonna try fighting lingering will. due to my schedule i ended up shelving the game until, like, 2 days ago. i finally picked it back up and just beat terra and all the data org fights for the first time.

terra's DM is probably the most nightmarish thing i've ever dealt with in these games. i've lost so many attempts to the situation just snowballing after getting abilities sealed or trapped by his bow and just getting wrecked by it. it took me about 10 tries but i finally figured out it and my first time beating him ended up taking no damage at all. what a great fight :)

i'll probably do my critical playthrough over reading break, maybe even platinum the game ( not 1.5 though. final mix synthesis nonsense can fuck right off :p ).

Tsunamo

Yeah i'm actually quite enjoying keeping up with new developments now, look forward to seeing where it heads.

I'm kind of tempted to just sign up and give it a try considering it doesn't look like we're gonna get a English release anytime soon.

Anyone? (Dream Drop i'm looking at you :p) got a guide to registering?
A plus since DBT is currently my favorite world in the entire series.
While I haven't seen much of the town itself I really do love the battle theme for it.

Anas

Banned
Finally caught up to Bbs ... only took me 6 or so years... so some questions
1. Why does Xehanort neet to manipulate key blade weilders if both Ansem and Xehanort should be able to use keyblades?
2. Is Vens body still in Castle Oblivion?
3. Is Terra's heart still stuck in Xehanort?
4. Where can I find out what happens to the Organization btwn Bbs and Chain/358?
5. Is any of this answered in Recoded or DDD?
6. Is Bbs Vol 2 eve happening, seems that would answer q4

2. Yes he still there having a good nap
3. Yes,but his mind still in his armor ( I guess )
4. Their first appearance was in Chain, There isn't a complete origin story yet,
5. No, DDD will give you more questions than answers, and ReCoded is a stupid filler.
6. Maybe, Nomura said that the concept and the script is ready. but they don't know how theyre gonna share it, it can't be a standalone or another KH spin-off, it might be a Movie, a novel, a prologue for KH3 .. I'm just saying

botty

Banned

I won't defend Re;Coded.. because I could really care less, but Days is definitely not Filler. In fact, I would say that Days is arguably the most cohesive game in the series, and easily contains the best story. Unlike Birth by sleep and DDD, Days actually managed to offer up a decent experience without turning KH into a Star Wars parody or whatever you want to call the last couple of hours of DDD. I think it's time we start appreciating Days for the things it did and the things it didn't do.

zeemumu

I won't defend Re;Coded.. because I could really care less, but Days is definitely not Filler. In fact, I would say that Days is arguably the most cohesive game in the series, and easily contains the best story. Unlike Birth by sleep and DDD, Days actually managed to offer up a decent experience without turning KH into a Star Wars parody or whatever you want to call the last couple of hours of DDD. I think it's time we start appreciating Days for the things it did and the things it didn't do.

Most of the missions were filler but I agree that the story itself is not. I'd argue that it cares the least about the Disney Worlds since they really only serve as arenas for the same types of missions.

Famassu

Days is the definition of filler. 80% of the game's story is the player watching Roxas, Axel and/or Xion eating ice cream. The pacing is horrible, none of the Org members do anything worthwhile, the tutorials feel like they go on and on and on and on and on, watching the trio bonding is boring as hell, some of it is just repetition of what we've seen in KHII and only a miniscule portion of the game is something actually worthwhile. It does make sympathizing with Roxas' situation in KHII a bit easier, but outside of that its story has absolutely no lasting impact in the franchise nor does it reveal anything too essential for the bigger picture and it's the most boring game in the franchise until the last hour or so. Coded is the definition of pointless nothingness, but at least it's more fun & varied to play.

As far as best story in the franchise, that goes either to the first game (best paced, simple and to the point, no pointless convolution), or my personal favorite, Chain of Memories. Intrique, mind-games, the best Org XIII members & their shenanigans, backstabbing, decent pacing, a pretty good beginning for Riku's redemption etc.

Malyse

Yeah i'm actually quite enjoying keeping up with new developments now, look forward to seeing where it heads.

I'm kind of tempted to just sign up and give it a try considering it doesn't look like we're gonna get a English release anytime soon.

Anyone? (Dream Drop i'm looking at you :p) got a guide to registering? While I haven't seen much of the town itself I really do love the battle theme for it.

I'm actually working on a [chi] fan novel, but I do still have my blog.

Khchiblade.tumblr.com

Days is the definition of filler. 80% of the game's story is the player watching Roxas, Axel and/or Xion eating ice cream. The pacing is horrible, none of the Org members do anything worthwhile, the tutorials feel like they go on and on and on and on and on, watching the trio bonding is boring as hell, some of it is just repetition of what we've seen in KHII and only a miniscule portion of the game is something actually worthwhile. It does make sympathizing with Roxas' situation in KHII a bit easier, but outside of that its story has absolutely no lasting impact in the franchise nor does it reveal anything too essential for the bigger picture and it's the most boring game in the franchise until the last hour or so. Coded is the definition of pointless nothingness, but at least it's more fun & varied to play.

As far as best story in the franchise, that goes either to the first game (best paced, simple and to the point, no pointless convolution), or my personal favorite, Chain of Memories. Intrique, mind-games, the best Org XIII members & their shenanigans, backstabbing, decent pacing, a pretty good beginning for Riku's redemption etc.
yep. KH1/CoM have good stories, and I'd say BBS does too.

Definitely have to agree with either Chain of Memories or KH1 having the best plot, though I think I actually have to lean more towards CoM. Great set of antagonists (By far Axel's best showing in the series), great character development for both Sora and Riku, and it did a good job at foreshadowing bits of KH2.

zeemumu

For the Disney worlds, I think that KH2 has the best story, but its overall plot is a little fragmented. KH CoM probably had the best main story, and would be ranked higher for me if not for the cards.

A lot of KH1's worlds felt a little dead. There were things going on but only as long as there was plot. And the main story is taking a bit of a backseat instead of playing a dual role. Hundred Acre Woods did succeed in giving me the feels, though.

CoM puts the main story at the front with the world's just being busy work. And the focus is on the antagonists and Riku, not Sora.

KH2 blends the main story with the world stories, which is an interesting way to go but made everything a bit jumbled.

Lightning

Banned
In Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix is it possible to enter into Final Form without using the Two Become One keyblade?

I've Platimuned this game but I haven't been able to ever obtain this form without that keyblade and obviously anti sora over again .Is it not possible in final mix to enter it without that keyblade or am I just impatient? Basically what I am trying to do is have a save file where I have 0 anti sora transorms while obtaining Final Form. Dunno if possible, I haven't been able to do it,

Top Bottom