• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

iosefe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROJmy5U7vzk

please don't shoot I come bearing gifts

image.php

(sounds lovely)

KH1 is pretty good so far, but sweet mother of god am I glad I'm done with Atlantica, that music was so, so wretched, which is a marked contrast to all the other tunes which range from indifferent to really good.

Onward to... well whatever is next, it's not mapped out :D

edit: Just finished Hollow Bastion, this game is really good, I can see how people have incredibly fond memories of it. I wish I'd progressed a bit faster, the game is soooooooooooooooo much more pleasant once you've unlocked traversal abilities and have a bigger combat toolset.

Also Gravity is amazing and Stop is actually usable, I'm in shock here :D

edit again: And finished. Didn't go for 100%, and I couldn't kill Sephiroth or Unknown, but I did everything else that I could tackle. Game got progressively better the farther I made it. Also the pacing was near perfect, I really liked the enemy difficulty increase after HB, and all the endgame stuff was fun. On to the next game!
I'm happy that new players can still enjoy KH1. Just reminded me of the funny thing that even tho I have completed KH1 like... 6 times (not counting speedruns for trophies) and there were always something new to discover that blew my mind. I was dissapointed that KH2 had pretty much no secrets or new stuff to figure out in new playtroughs until I played the 2.5 remaster and there was a missable cutscene I never knew about :lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROJmy5U7vzk

please don't shoot I come bearing gifts
Is that the bad guy from AC?

Victrix

*beard*
I'm happy that new players can still enjoy KH1. Just reminded me of the funny thing that even tho I have completed KH1 like... 6 times (not counting speedruns for trophies) and there were always something new to discover that blew my mind. I was dissapointed that KH2 had pretty much no secrets or new stuff to figure out in new playtroughs until I played the 2.5 remaster and there was a missable cutscene I never knew about :lol.

Yeah I enjoyed it - there were definitely some rough spots. The platforming was borderline bad near the beginning, it got better later.

I have to give them huge credit for using the PS2 incredibly intelligently, it's a master class in art design over technical graphics - the game still looks good to great today, HD remaster aside, because they were smart with how they presented the worlds and characters.

And I'm assuming a lot of the pacing was due to the Final Mix release, but regardless, it was really well done - other than a fairly slow start, it got better the more I played. The optional stuff was a lot of fun too, Kurt Zisa was a damn cool fight, Sephiroth and (especially) Unknown were bonkers.

Chain of Memories so far... not so much. I almost dropped it entirely, but I think I've hit a groove (Fire, Fire, Fire, Fire, Fire -> Blitz, Blitz, Blitz, Blitz, Blitz -> what's next?). Really really clever card system, but... it's a card system, and it encourages really mindless mash triangle to win combat once your decks are set up right. It's also using reheated leftovers for worlds, which isn't a lot of fun.

It doesn't seem too long though, so I guess I'll stick with it, just to see the rest of the story before I move on to KH2.

Andrefpvs

I was dissapointed that KH2 had pretty much no secrets or new stuff to figure out in new playtroughs until I played the 2.5 remaster and there was a missable cutscene I never knew about :lol.

Ooooh, what's this about?

Is it
the cutscene with Seifer after Sora wakes up
?

Andrefpvs

Yes. Never saw it before HD collection.

Well, call it coincidence or something, but I'm in the middle of my Critical playthrough and I just found a scene that I'd never seen before!

CBMvzeVWQAE-k08.jpg

To get it, you must return
to Belle's room after Xaldin leaves for the bridge with the rose, but before following after him
. It's really well hidden, most players would never think of returning there at that point :eek:

Falk

that puzzling face
Well, call it coincidence or something, but I'm in the middle of my Critical playthrough and I just found a scene that I'd never seen before!

CBMvzeVWQAE-k08.jpg

To get it, you must return
to Belle's room after Xaldin leaves for the bridge with the rose, but before following after him
. It's really well hidden, most players would never think of returning there at that point :eek:

Man discovering all these cutscenes mandates another playthrough specifically meant to do this.

I mean even KH1 had stuff like that, what with sequence breaking (lightly) so that Riku kidnaps Pinocchio AFTER a few other storyline events.

Victrix

*beard*
What affects Sleight damage in Chain of Memories?

I know the various keyblade cards have different damage grades for first/second/third attacks listed in the Journal, but I'm assuming that only applies to basic 1-2-3 combos, not moves formed out of them.

Victrix

*beard*
wtf, hundred acre wood was so much better in CoM than KH1!

Everything else in the game is rehashed, but that area has completely unique minigames, even the UI is tinkered with.

I'm baffled o_O

Victrix

*beard*
I'm probably going to skip 358/2 and go into KH2 first, but is it actually worth playing on the DS or is it better just viewed as a movie for the story? (ie, did the game suck, or did they not want to remake a ds game, or some combination of the two)

I'm probably going to skip 358/2 and go into KH2 first, but is it actually worth playing on the DS or is it better just viewed as a movie for the story? (ie, did the game suck, or did they not want to remake a ds game, or some combination of the two)

The game didn't suck...It just lacked depth, it was alot of doing the same stuff and the story for the most part isn't very interesting due to how far apart everything is. I'd say just watch the movie since it's the story condensed into a couple of hours - much more enjoyable imo.

Andrefpvs

Yeah, just watch the movie. I think 358/2 Days has a very strong ending, but you have to go through 20 hours of repetitive tasks to get to it.

Almost ironically, the movie makes the entire experience more digestible, but completely butchers the ending due to them skipping and not animating any battles ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Actual 358/2 Days spoiler:
In the movie, Saïx gets away with antagonizing you the entire time and not getting a pounding at the end, LOL

JayEH

Well I don't feel like making a thread so I'll make a post here.

Beat KH1 for the first time yesterday, after hours of struggling with the last world haha. I really enjoyed the game. I've never been much of a Disney guy so KH never really appealed to me but decided to pick up the 1.5 collection. I know a bit about KH's story. I know it gets super convoluted in later games but the first game has an easy to follow story. Enjoyed the story very much and it did get me teary eyed a couple of times.

At first I didn't like the gameplay since it felt very basic but once I started unlocking more abilities it got fun even it was still mashy. I didn't really have trouble until the last world though. What a horrible way to end a game with 6(?) bosses and a room full of hard bosses with very little save points in between. I was very close to giving up on the game twice but persevered.

What I saw of CoM didn't interest me so I watched a summary of the story and since 358/2 days is only cutscenes I also watched a summary of that. I got the 2.5 collection and will start 2 soon. Real excited for 2 and BBS since from what I hear from friends they have great gameplay.

It's ''better'' on DS but that doesn't make it good :lol. The ''movie'' is pretty awkward but it's wayyy shorter than playing the game. And it's the worst game in the series and legit pretty bad all things considered.

I think they should have done something 2D that suited the NDS rather than try to emulate a full 3D KH game on a system that can't handle it really especially when it comes to controls. Should have made something akin to Muramasa.

Falk

that puzzling face
I still don't understand how people play 3D action games on the DS/3DS. (Yes, I get that 3D is a gimmick etc.)

Or even worse, the mindset behind making said games.

Like... just. Why.

I mean, PSP/PSV, while not exactly optimal either, at least aren't the equivalent of getting cancer.

I thought Re:Coded actually controlled pretty decently, given the button limitations on the DS. But yeah, I can't think of many portable 3D action games that have controls that aren't constrained in some regard.

Golnei

Days was painful; but I thought 3D controlled decently. The 3DS might not be able to handle Bayonetta or Zone of the Enders, but medium-to-slow paced games like KH, the 3D Zelda ports/remasters and RE Revelations weren't significantly compromised. Xenoblade might not transfer that well, but that's more to do with no longer being able to use the Wiimote and the lack of touchscreen control options.

I think they should have done something 2D that suited the NDS rather than try to emulate a full 3D KH game on a system that can't handle it really especially when it comes to controls. Should have made something akin to Muramasa.

The prospect of a (2D) SRPG Days will forever haunt me. It seems so obvious in hindsight - taking into account the size of the cast; as well as their objectives and abilities and the capabilities of the system; that genre would have been a perfect fit.

Victrix

*beard*
Finished Chain, I didn't find the story wildly out there, I guess I'm too used to jrpgs going totally off the rails, so this didn't even register.

I do think the game was too long by half, the rehashed Disney levels were awful, if they had cut out the entire first six chunks, it would have felt better paced.

Also really disappointing game gameplay wise, the card system was really elegant and smartly designed and... nearly totally pointless, because of the way the random encounters card attacks worked, you were essentially completely invincible while using sleights, both due to actual invincibility, and to your sleights always winning over their single card attacks. Boss fights were barely better.

End result I think I pushed triangle five thousand times and beat the game.

Real shame too, because some of the later sleights were amazing looking.

Oh well. On to KH2, excite!

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah playing CoM after 1 HD back to back especially for new players makes a bad situation even worse.

Finished Chain, I didn't find the story wildly out there, I guess I'm too used to jrpgs going totally off the rails, so this didn't even register.

I do think the game was too long by half, the rehashed Disney levels were awful, if they had cut out the entire first six chunks, it would have felt better paced.

Also really disappointing game gameplay wise, the card system was really elegant and smartly designed and... nearly totally pointless, because of the way the random encounters card attacks worked, you were essentially completely invincible while using sleights, both due to actual invincibility, and to your sleights always winning over their single card attacks. Boss fights were barely better.

End result I think I pushed triangle five thousand times and beat the game.

Real shame too, because some of the later sleights were amazing looking.

Oh well. On to KH2, excite!
Boss fights in Re: Chain of Memories are pretty neat imo, at least the ones against the Organization where they can use their own sleights. Sucks that the game basically refuses to give enemies any 0 cards ever though.

Hnnnnngh with all this talk I'm feeling the itch to fire up 2.5 again. Might start a level 1 run but man I already got my hands full with PoE, Bloodborne, DmCDE, RERE2...

KH is like cryptonite to me :(.

Should I be ashamed that I have never even heard of ''Once upon a time''?

zeemumu

Will Dream Drop Distance show up at E3 ya think? Its the only game left out in the cold.

It's still on a current system and buyable so I'm not too sure. All of the others were on systems at least one generation behind (DS, PSP, PS2, etc.) and most were no longer being made so you had to buy those remix collections.

It's still on a current system and buyable so I'm not too sure. All of the others were on systems at least one generation behind (DS, PSP, PS2, etc.) and most were no longer being made so you had to buy those remix collections.

Dream Drop Distance is over three years old now. And does it matter? many games that were recently released in the past year or so are begin remastered and sold.

Falk

that puzzling face
what if Dream Drop Distance gets a remaster that bumps polygon count etc

and only runs on New 3DS

Golnei

what if Dream Drop Distance gets a remaster that bumps polygon count etc

and only runs on New 3DS

Can't you get in serious trouble for casually leaking such incredibly plausible insider information? At least you didn't mention the HD remaster of KH V-Cast.

Falk

that puzzling face
More like missed opportunity for April Fools.

Or I guess Square Enix doesn't want to become the leading cause of teenage suicide.

Tsunamo

http://gematsu.com/2015/04/kingdom-...23-expo-series-smartphone-announcement-teased

Regarding Kingdom Hearts at the D23 Expo

“We have some interesting things planned. There will be Kingdom Hearts III news, and various things, I think. Kingdom Hearts III development is going smoothly, but there will also be new announcements connected to it. As one of those new announcements, I think we should be able to announce a smartphone-specific development for the series in short order.”

Guess if they're going to announce it in short order and do so at an event the best time to do it is E3 if they don't opt for a d23 announcement. I'm gonna guess it's a Chi mobile port/redux which would be fine with me, it's probably the only current title that would fit well on a mobile platform. excluding this gem http://kingdomhearts.wikia.com/wiki/Kingdom_Hearts_V_CAST
Man this whole avatar business is the best thing ever

I've been wrong all this time
Forever avatar quotable.

zeemumu

I'm going to D23 for the first time this year. I had no idea that there would be kingdom Hearts stuff. Just adds to my hype meter.

Nose Master

Is there a point of no return on doing the CoM refights in KH2 final mix? I feel like it's this megaman boss room, but I'm not sure.

iosefe

Is there a point of no return on doing the CoM refights in KH2 final mix? I feel like it's this megaman boss room, but I'm not sure.

there is no Point of no return. when you complete the game, you get to save and it puts you right before the final section if i recall.

(haven't finished yet but thats my memory)

Top Bottom