• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

The 2.5 launch event had some gameplay as well but nothing amazing, no idea why they didn't put it up on YouTube. Squares having a big e3 apparently so we may still see kh3.

The thing that worries me is that SE is able to have a E3 presser easily without KH at all. Hitman+Deus Ex+Tomb Raider+FFXV+Dragon Quest Heroes+Bravely Second ect. is already more than enough.

Not certainly impossible of KH3 beign there tho. Just pure speculation on my part but I think KH3 appearing will be a good meter how the development is going. If the development is going smoothly I can't see no reason for it not to be there, especially after such a long no show. Not a developer so it's hard to say exactly how hard the UE4 change hit the development.

And Shenmue 3 obv

Caladrius

kh3 is not going to be at e3 is it

:( I wonder if development is even going smoothly

I thought it was already stated KH3 wouldn't be there?

And I can't think of a Square game that hasn't gone through the intestinal tract of game development without a severe, gut-crunching bout of constipation in the last 8 years

I am about to start up BBS for the first time ever (on the 2.5 collection).

What should i expect? About how long is one playthrough since i hear you're supposed to do 3 of them to get the whole story right? Will it still be different enough the other 2 times to not get boring?

zeemumu

I am about to start up BBS for the first time ever (on the 2.5 collection).

What should i expect? About how long is one playthrough since i hear you're supposed to do 3 of them to get the whole story right? Will it still be different enough the other 2 times to not get boring?

All 3 characters visit the same worlds but at different points in time, with certain parts overlapping and information that isn't known by your specific character being omitted.

So like, if you play as Terra you'll only know what Terra knows, so certain cutscenes are shorter in his story because he wasn't there for the rest or something, or you'll show up midway through a Disney movie whereas a different character showed up at the beginning or end. There are exceptions to that with some cutscenes adding in dialogue that none of the characters were aware of, though. I don't know the exact amount of time but one playthrough isn't that long if you minimize the amount of time you spend grinding for exp.

And play Aqua last, I guess.

All 3 characters visit the same worlds but at different points in time, with certain parts overlapping and information that isn't known by your specific character being omitted.

So like, if you play as Terra you'll only know what Terra knows, so certain cutscenes are shorter in his story because he wasn't there for the rest or something, or you'll show up midway through a Disney movie whereas a different character showed up at the beginning or end. There are exceptions to that with some cutscenes adding in dialogue that none of the characters were aware of, though. I don't know the exact amount of time but one playthrough isn't that long if you minimize the amount of time you spend grinding for exp.

And play Aqua last, I guess.

Alright, thanks. Who should i play first then? Is there a consensus?

Also, i'd appreciate if someone could chime in and tell me just about how long the whole thing will last approximately, so i can plan ahead which other games to play on the side/after this one

sasuke_91

Also, i'd appreciate if someone could chime in and tell me just about how long the whole thing will last approximately, so i can plan ahead which other games to play on the side/after this one
The recommended order is Terra/Ven/Aqua.
I'm currently busy with my Terra playthrough. No idea how long it is, but I normally take longer to finish a game than most people :p

sasuke_91

What do you guys think are the odds for KH 3D getting an HD Remaster? It's the only game that is not playable on PS3/PS4 yet. The game is 3 years old now, so Winter 2015/ early 2016 wouldn't be too early, would it? :p

zeemumu

It's supposed to be around 30-40 hours from what I can tell.

Starting with Terra is a safe bet.

zeemumu

What do you guys think are the odds for KH 3D getting an HD Remaster? It's the only game that is not playable on PS3/PS4 yet. The game is 3 years old now, so Winter 2015/ early 2016 wouldn't be too early, would it? :p

If anything I'd probably put money on early-mid 2016. It'd be less work than handheld to console ports like RE: CoM but I feel like their decision would be based on whether or not it can stand on its own. Unless they announce a 2014 collection, in which case they can strap it onto that. If they do re-release it they're gonna have to do something about Flowmotion breaking the platforming mechanics of the game. That Pinocchio level should've taken me far longer than it did.

Tsunamo

The real question for me if DDD gets a HD remaster is how far they'd go in terms of changes, would they just re-work it so it works on consoles (or PS4 only, they could maybe work some of the touch stuff with the touchpad on it) and call it a day or go as far as to rebalance some stuff, and make DDD a better game.

At the very least I think Nomura wouldn't be able to resist adding a couple of new cutscenes or a new secret ending.

And i'm finally over my Chi addiction (even though it's mostly due to me moving to being addicted to splatoon), it's been a fun ride though, caught up to the story, got to level 70, upgraded my Starlight Keyblade to level 40, there's still tons to do though along with new guilt lists every week. I don't think I have it in me to commit to it anymore though, but i'll at least come back for awhile everytime new story content releases.

It's a shame that Unchained will probably dumb things down a bit with medals, the card system has a surprising amount of depth to it for something so simplistic.
Say no more Falk ;)
You're secretly telling us it's not happening, right?

They'd have to rework a good amount of the game's combat systems and subsystems for me to even be interest in a potential HD port oh who am I kidding I'll probably buy it day 1 because I need more HD KH in my life

Dereck

I rarely read this thread, but I decided to hop in when I saw KH3 and E3 in the same sentence, without the word "not" in it.

xObpn0r.gif

zeemumu

wait, 30-40 hours all 3 storylines combined or just ONE, meaning like 120 hours for all 3 cos that would mean a huge time commitment on my part?

No no, combined, ahahaha.

But you might need to grind for exp for some of the bosses towards the end. That and the side missions determine the extra hours, I'd say.

Tsunamo

They'd have to rework a good amount of the game's combat systems and subsystems for me to even be interest in a potential HD port oh who am I kidding I'll probably buy it day 1 because I need more HD KH in my life
The more time that passes the more I open up to the idea of replaying DDD because I forget what it was like, it scares me.

I'll probably get it day one for the sake of tradition, been that way since BBS, why break that cycle now? Right? ....Right? I'm trying to justify it now
Is Unchained going to be released in the west this year?
It was said to be targeting a 2015 release and being made with a overseas release in mind so i'd say it's safe to say so. In typical Square-Enix (or Nomura) fashion though this information was revealed in Famitsu.

We'll probably get a proper western reveal of it at their E3 conference.

I heard a rumor that KH3 was quietly cancelled after the UE4 change and renamed as a new project "Kingdom Hearts Nemesis Triple". Also both Nomura and Yasue have been kicked out of the project and replaced with Dennis Dyack with Guillermo Del Toro co-directing. Goofy has apparently been removed from the game and replaced by a whole new character "Dog Guy" who surprisingly is exactly like his predecessor.

New scenario writer is apparently the dude responsible for writing the dialogue for Genesis in Crisis Core.

No no, combined, ahahaha.

But you might need to grind for exp for some of the bosses towards the end. That and the side missions determine the extra hours, I'd say.

Ok, that sounds doable then... Are the side missions totally optional, if so are they fun to do/worth it or only for the hardcore like some KH bosses where you need to grind insane levels and weapons if you want to beat them? Or were you talking about the regular story bosses? If so i am used to that in most JRPGs by now so that won't be a problem ;)

Tsunamo

Some sidestuff in Birth By Sleep Final Mix is fun, i'd mess around a bit with mirage arena matches, go for all chests (you need some for some reports so you can unlock the final episode of the game anyway + that one mirage arena mission with terra), all the crown stickers if you want (the final reward of the rhythm mixer command style is worth it), mess around with keyblade glider races (you can also do that in mirage arena), some of the unversed missions as they're fun challenges and the ice cream beat minigames if you enjoy rhythm games. Personally that's what i'd go for anyway although that's quite a lot.

Aslong as you get the reports you need to unlock the final episode i'd just take it as you go and see if you enjoy that side stuff or not as you play, part of the fun of the game for me is discovering and messing around with what sidecontent the game offers, with that said though doing some of that stuff three times can get very repetitive, but it's not like you have to do them on each scenario.

I heard a rumor that KH3 was quietly cancelled after the UC4 change and renamed as a new project "Kingdom Hearts Nemesis Triple". Also both Nomura and Yasue have been kicked out of the project and replaced with Dennis Dyack with Guillermo Del Toro co-directing. Goofy has apparently been removed from the game and replaced by a whole new character "Dog Guy" who surprisingly is exactly like his predecessor.

New scenario writer is apparently the dude responsible for writing the dialogue for Genesis in Crisis Core.
Game of the forever.

I heard a rumor that KH3 was quietly cancelled after the UC4 change and renamed as a new project "Kingdom Hearts Nemesis Triple". Also both Nomura and Yasue have been kicked out of the project and replaced with Dennis Dyack with Guillermo Del Toro co-directing. Goofy has apparently been removed from the game and replaced by a whole new character "Dog Guy" who surprisingly is exactly like his predecessor.

If I preorder now, do I get the "True finale: Versus Final Nomura-Badman" DLC?

zeemumu

Ok, that sounds doable then... Are the side missions totally optional, if so are they fun to do/worth it or only for the hardcore like some KH bosses where you need to grind insane levels and weapons if you want to beat them? Or were you talking about the regular story bosses? If so i am used to that in most JRPGs by now so that won't be a problem ;)

Usually the secret bosses are a "hardcore person" type of thing. They're there for the challenge. As for the side missions, they're pretty much just typical minigames. I recall having to grind for a few of the endgame story bosses but that was because I was really behind in levels.

Not really news, since he's said this before, but Hikaru Utada's father & manager just tweeted (again) 3 hours ago that her involvement in Kingdom Hearts III has not been decided.

https://twitter.com/u3music/status/607747543141777408

I may go crazy if we get copped out of a Hikaru song by another iteration of "Simple and Clean".

Also, for the members of this thread, I present you with this avatar I made a year ago. I don't use it, and if somebody wants it, then it's all yours =]

Full-size, complete pixel Xemnas here

HvPpmg1.png

Hi.

So I'm contemplating buying Kingdom Hearts 2.5 for PS3 on Friday but I was wondering whether I should wait until I buy it.

With E3 around the corner, I was wondering what the chances were that they announce a PS4 version of the collection, similar to FFX.

From what I understand, all PS4 games must have a mandatory digital download, and since KH games are never digital due to licensing issues or something, I assumed it was not possible for the collection to come to PS4.

I really want to finally play KH2 Final Mix after all these years, so my question is whether I should get it now, or wait a while for an announcement of a PS4 version.

I'm in a similar situation to yours. Just wait until E3 passes. There may be a chance that a collection gets announced for the PS4. There are many players (incl. you and me) that would like to see a collection on the PS4, and SQEnix has made mention that they are considering it, though couldn't make a confirmation.

Rush_Khan

Hi.

So I'm contemplating buying Kingdom Hearts 2.5 for PS3 on Friday but I was wondering whether I should wait until I buy it.

With E3 around the corner, I was wondering what the chances were that they announce a PS4 version of the collection, similar to FFX.

From what I understand, all PS4 games must have a mandatory digital download, and since KH games are never digital due to licensing issues or something, I assumed it was not possible for the collection to come to PS4.

I really want to finally play KH2 Final Mix after all these years, so my question is whether I should get it now, or wait a while for an announcement of a PS4 version.

Hi.

Just wait. I'm not sure if there's ever been an official statement on why they haven't released them digitally. They may even get an exemption. It's a week away. Although the PS3 version is great and at 1080p already.

Just started BBS on Normal...

Still trying to get to grips with the command deck system etc.

Is it a good idea to "meld" commands early on? Cos that's what i just did i guess and ended up with an ability that i think Ventus already has (i started with Terra). Are there commands needed or suggested i keep or is it ok to just meld away randomly because those commands will be gone forever after melding into a new one correct?

Tsunamo

Once you've got a command obtained once i'm prettysure they're in the moogle shop to buy again afterwards for good so go nuts with melding. If you're getting the same ability again try mix it up with another synthesis crystal added to the mix rather than the one you usually use, that's mostly the basis for what ability you get with them. (or alternatively you can use this handy guide if you wanna farm abilities/get a specific one to help out http://www.finalfantasykingdom.net/bbsmelding.php )

Personally i'd just opt for second chance, once more and the HP up abilities so you have a fighting chance for most of the bosses and from then on just go with whatever fits your command deck/means and make sure you have a decent cure command you get stronger versions of it by just fusing two together(same with higher cure spells like cura/curaga) so you can recover HP whenever need be.

And in terms of other deck stuff minus cure i'd say focus on attack for Terra, Magic for Aqua, Ven feels weak with whatever you use to me personally so i'd say it doesn't matter too much with him, but on normal you probably shouldn't have too much trouble with whatever type of deck you opt for.

Hope that wasn't too confusing.
Just wait. I'm not sure if there's ever been an official statement on why they haven't released them digitally. They may even get an exemption. It's a week away. Although the PS3 version is great and at 1080p already.
I wonder how they'll handle that when Kingdom Hearts inevitably gets a PS4 game (regardless of if it's the HD collections, DDD or 3)

But yeah, i'd say wait until after E3, if there's no PS4 collection you mayaswell grab the PS3 version of 2.5 for cheap.

I wonder how they'll handle that when Kingdom Hearts inevitably gets a PS4 game (regardless of if it's the HD collections, DDD or 3)

But yeah, i'd say wait until after E3, if there's no PS4 collection you mayaswell grab the PS3 version of 2.5 for cheap.

The issue is with the music(specifically Utada's?) and them not signing contracts to distribute it digitally. Disney & square both have games available digitally now so that shouldn't be an issue?

Trust me, it does.
(Is that weird?)

Depends on your reasons.If you're really that desperate to play, you'll be waiting for a couple of months for it to get onto ps4 so that shouldn't affect you. If you're willing to wait for a ps4 release you can wait a week to find out :D.

I want to ask the community this to build up a little pre-E3 hype:

What was your favorite Kingdom Hearts moment? Why is this your favorite moment?

For me, I'm tied between two... both from KH2, funny enough. One of these moments is the final battle against Xemnas. The whole game felt like such a rollercoaster ride and had good build-up, and with the elimination of Organization XIII members, hinted at a grand finale. I thought that it delivered terrific fights with Xemnas. Though they were not the hardest fights the game had to offer (by a large margin), the fights with Xemnas felt the most epic. I still remember the excitement I had when I defeated him for the first time, and the emotions that the final cutscenes evoked.

My other most favorite moment would be watching the secret ending to KH2:FM. I was blown away by the secret ending in KH2, but that paled in comparison to the full fight. I did not know that Kingdom Hearts could be... that! The fight between Ventus, Aqua, and Terra and Xehanort and Vanitas was just a whole different beast. I was so excited to see where the series was headed after watching that.

Psxphile

They already have another tried-and-tested VA for Ansem ready to go. I'm more concerned about Master Xehanort. Who can pull off that old, gravelly voice Nimoy brought to the role? It's gonna be Billy Zane -> Richard Epcar levels of disappoint, whoever they get.

zeemumu

They already have another tried-and-tested VA for Ansem ready to go. I'm more concerned about Master Xehanort. Who can pull off that old, gravelly voice Nimoy brought to the role? It's gonna be Billy Zane -> Richard Epcar levels of disappoint, whoever they get.

Just use KH logic to change him back into Terranort.

Is it normal for BBS that early on i am really getting my ass kicked in the Arena? I mean i have finished the first 2 worlds on normal with no sweat at all yet in the arena i get my ass kicked by the very first 1 star mission... I do get better by being more patient and finally now made it to the boss. Who then proceeded to utterly destroy me in a few seconds :(

Is there a general level recommended for the arena or do i just need to get (a LOT) better at learning the game ?

Top Bottom