• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

TheMink

Hello guys, i've been a lurker for some time but i guess i was finally accepted :)

Well i'm happy to be joining this community, i still remember the first time i played KH1 and that's where it all started xD, then the Deep Dive era, the wait for 358 and BBS, etc... And the still ongoing (and really now feels like it's endless) one for KH3...

Anyway, i was wondering if anyone got the "Mark of Mastery" Edition of Dream Drop Distance ? i was really surprised by the aditional content, specially the beautiful illustrations from past games and the box itself... Now i'm beginning to wonder if the responsible artist worked on other games before...

Heyo

Hey man welcome :) I got the Mark of Mastery edition... Fantastic. The packaging is great, good to display. The Dream Eaters you get from it are very cool, used them for quite a while.

Welcome!

I dunno anything about MM edition. I did get the european ''collectors edition'' of BBS. The artbook included was friggin embarassing :lol. Just the normal renders of characters, not a single Nomura art :(.

Thanks for the Cordial Welcome guys :)

I actually bought the game before the console xD (to prevent the special edition from being sold out) so when i went to buy my 3DS i chosed the XL, and then realized the case didn't fit, but whatever, the huge screen is really worth it. (I'm really not the brightest dude...)

Reading through the pages something picked my interest, and it's the apparent "general consensus" about KH:II. If someone could elaborate on why it's considered a weak game, or an "over the top" one i'd be glad to read, because personally i had a really different conception of it. Maybe painted by Nostalgia, but i remember it as a really fun game, really complete too. I find some things off nonetheless, like the Org.XIII battles being so forgettable personally, but battles like the Xemnas one (as crazy as it was), or playing "The World That Never Was"were pretty enjoyable...

Any thoughts on it?

Seda

Reading through the pages something picked my interest, and it's the apparent "general consensus" about KH:II. If someone could elaborate on why it's considered a weak game, or an "over the top" one i'd be glad to read, because personally i had a really different conception of it. Maybe painted by Nostalgia, but i remember it as a really fun game, really complete too. I find some things off nonetheless, like the Org.XIII battles being so forgettable personally, but battles like the Xemnas one (as crazy as it was), or playing "The World That Never Was"were pretty enjoyable...

Any thoughts on it?

KHII is really divisive.

My main thought on it is that it was too easy.

Thanks for the Cordial Welcome guys :)

I actually bought the game before the console xD (to prevent the special edition from being sold out) so when i went to buy my 3DS i chosed the XL, and then realized the case didn't fit, but whatever, the huge screen is really worth it. (I'm really not the brightest dude...)

Any thoughts on it?

I will prolly write a megapost dedicated to KH2 at some point :D. But if I were to answer this shortly from my perspective:

KH2 is very liked game in the KH fanbase and the favourite for many so it certainly isn't concidered a weak game by the majority what I understand. But KH2 had some things going against it. First of all the hype for it was insane in the community. I remember those days like it was yesterday and KH2 was like the second coming of jesus, no way this couldn't be the best game ever. Then the game released and people liked it very, very much but after some time there was this age of backlash that is certainly justifiable. And after some of the later games started popping up many people were annoyed by some things the series started to do and the starting point of those changes were usually KH2.

One of the biggest reasons KH2 is somewhat critizised is that in the light of KH1 and KH2FM it has this feel of an incomplete game. Original Kingdom Hearts was much more complete package and better designed in many ways that KH2 felt a step down in some ways. For me those things were mostly the level design being very sterile and with minimal exploration and treasure hunting ect. (and this is compared to KH1 that definately is not a master of these elements by any means). KH1 had many different collectibles from treasures to dalmatian puppies to trinity marks and they often were a little hidden and the level design had much more platforming elements and the worlds just felt more rich, not only from gameplay perspective but also the story. I have written about this before and while KH2 is far from the worst game in this regard I feel that KH1 still is the best one by far with the implementation of Disney stories that fitted the gameplay nicely.

Another big thing is the post game content. Western release of KH1 had indeed all the collectibles but also post game bosses like Phantom, Sephiroth, Kurt Ziza, Ice Titan and the Hades cup if you want to count that. When I think about KH2 post game content all I remember is rehashed Sephiroth and trying to get the materials for Ultima Weapon and whatnot.

Then there is the organization members. In vanilla KH2 they hardly do anything and they were pretty dissapointingly implemented compared to Chain of Memories. And I remember that it felt really strange how they just lumped 4 of the members in the last world and you fought them pretty much back to back. It just felt rushed how they fitted into the whole story.

Then came the primary reason why KH2 feels like an incomplete game for me and really brings up these problems, KH2FM. While it can't change some of the issues with level designs it added collectibles in form of the Crown Puzzle pieces. It added SO many bosses for post game, all 13 org members data versions and the Lingering Spirit. It added scenes for the Org members scheming and gave them some more screen time. It added so much content that it just makes KH2 pale in comparison... and then it never released in the west. I had to wait 5 or something years till fan made english patch was released and the game is just so much more fleshed out than KH2.

But of course there are many other issues people have with KH2 and the one most seem to bring up is the story. I didn't have a problem with the story really but it has some glaring problems. The most clear one is that it is horribly paced. In KH1 the overarching story never feels absent. In KH2 it feels the whole main story is stuffed in the beginning and the end with some Disney stuff in the middle that has nothing to do with anything. All the nobody business and such was quite all right in KH2. I had no problem at all with having Roxas being a ''clone'' of Sora ect. But then comes the issue that I said before, it started this meme of Sora and Xehanort being everyone and it never stopped since. After Roxas came Xion, then Ventus and Vanitas and I will not even mention the one thousand Xehanorts. It just became a joke how every new character they would introduce had to have some silly connection to some old character. I just want some interesting original characters that are not clones or brothers or sisters or something to Sora.

KH1 also had very charming and simple story with a good pacing so nobody really had a problem with it. With KH2 it started to introduce all kinds of silly twists and turns that got more insane with each new game with DDD being the most ridicilous and it all traces back to KH2. Now there are people that enjoy the story in these games and for me as silly as it sometimes gets I still like it. Sometimes crazy animu plot is what I want and KH certainly deliveres nowdays. It really depends on the person if you like what KH2 set in motion.

But overall KH2 is still very liked game. It has the harshest critics but I believe most polls have told that KH2 is in fact the favourite game in the series. I personally say KH1 but even with all its flaws and preferring KH2FM vastly over vanilla KH2 I still love the game very much and it is one of my favourites of all time.

Sorry for the ramblings. I hope my opinion comes across :D.

I know some people posted about it when it aired during the PS4 stream last week, but the teaser for our KH episode of Timeline went up.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/fcl3lg/timeline-kingdom-hearts---teaser

Be certain that when the script is drafted up I'll be hitting up some of you for "accuracy" checks, heh. I had a 2 hour meeting last Friday explaining the basics of the story to some of the production staff. When I wrote out all the Organization XIII members and their known originals (ie., Axel -> Lea) and tried to explain what the organization really was, I think that's when I lost everyone. I think it was too many names to process.

aravuus

It's 7am Napalm_Frank, how are you even capable of writing a wall like that at a time like this :V

I think the story is my main complaint about KH II. I still very much liked it and while I usually enjoy a more complex story over a simple one, I'd have to say that all the new character additions brought the second game's story down a bit. I never really cared for the Organization, I can't even remember most of their names now.

On the other hand, I absolutely loved the prologue. Usually I hate long prologues, like most people, I want to get to the actual game content as soon as possible but KH II's prologue just had this intriguing atmosphere that made it great. With all the "restoration at xx per cent" cutscenes and such, it led t the super heartwarming scene when Sora, Donald and Goofy reunite.

botty

Banned
Back cover is kind of basic.

nOnyRAy.jpg

Nice post Napalm :p

I actually feel like... I don't know, I think the hype for KH2 was realized for me. I loved everything that happened, the complexity is, to me, a great thing and the combat is amazing.

When comparing KH1 to KH2, something that is very hard, I like them both alot and for some different reasons but something I didn't like about KH1 was the platforming stuff (I guess you could say the camera stuff really... That's why I didn't like it so maybe KHHD will make me like it :p)

To think about post game stuff, I don't know that I really view anything that way because I have waited to be 100% done (meeting the requirements for the secret movie I should say) with the games before finishing the last boss so for me, nothing was "postgame"... However, that said KH1 had some epic extra stuff.

Yeah, overall I think I slightly favor KH2, but that's splitting hairs; they are my top 3 games haha

I think the hype for KH2 was realized for me. I loved everything that happened, the complexity is, to me, a great thing and the combat is amazing.

As I said in my post I think vast majority really liked the game even after the ridicilous hype. The backlash only came later and even then it is very liked game in the fanbase, perhaps even the most liked.

aravuus

Nice post Napalm :p

I actually feel like... I don't know, I think the hype for KH2 was realized for me. I loved everything that happened, the complexity is, to me, a great thing and the combat is amazing.

When comparing KH1 to KH2, something that is very hard, I like them both alot and for some different reasons but something I didn't like about KH1 was the platforming stuff (I guess you could say the camera stuff really... That's why I didn't like it so maybe KHHD will make me like it :p)

To think about post game stuff, I don't know that I really view anything that way because I have waited to be 100% done (meeting the requirements for the secret movie I should say) with the games before finishing the last boss so for me, nothing was "postgame"... However, that said KH1 had some epic extra stuff.

Yeah, overall I think I slightly favor KH2, but that's splitting hairs; they are my top 3 games haha

I feel very much the same, actually. I also didn't mind KH II's more linear level design, in fact, I may prefer it. Getting lost is the most frustrating thing that can happen in games, which is why I really don't mind objective markers and such many games have nowadays.

Just that it was a shame KH II didn't have that much optional stuff. Colosseum was one of the best things in KH I and I didn't really like KH II's iteration of it, the biggest reason probably being the fact that I didn't get exp fighting there.

While the game had that honeymoon effect on some people - you know, the backlash game later when they realized they actually disliked some parts of the game - I really got what I was hyped for. Which is impressive. At the time, KH had already turned out to be my favorite game ever, and I was 14. You're obviously very easily influenced by emotions when you're 14 so I was really fucking hyped.

Then it came and I literally played it as much as I could. I came home from school at around 3 or 4pm, started playing and played till midnight, played a bit in the morning before school and so on. It was fucking crazy. Crazy awesome.

As I said in my post I think vast majority really liked the game even after the ridicilous hype. The backlash only came later and even then it is very liked game in the fanbase, perhaps even the most liked.

I totally agree. I think, while this is entirely subjective, that KH2 is more "fun" than KH1. Like battles in KH2 feel soooo good.

Another thing... Is the "Triangle = Kill" argument really that big of a deal? I have to say, i dont think i would have thought twice about if it wasnt for people complaining here and i still dont think it breaks anything or makes the game less amazing. But then again, I actually kinda like QTEs. Never got the stigma there

I totally agree. I think, while this is entirely subjective, that KH2 is more "fun" than KH1. Like battles in KH2 feel soooo good.

Another thing... Is the "Triangle = Kill" argument really that big of a deal? I have to say, i dont think i would have thought twice about if it wasnt for people complaining here and i still dont think it breaks anything or makes the game less amazing. But then again, I actually kinda like QTEs. Never got the stigma there

Reaction commands didn't do anything for me, I didn't dislike it or like it (I liked the crazy things it did tho). I just got to wonder why they made just mashing it work, even on higher difficulties. It kinda defeats the whole purpose of ''reaction command''.

Totally got it. Well, i've never played a Final Mix Version, i always thought they were just milking off the games + some minor aditional features and now i guess i was wrong.

I was just a kid and i really now wonder how was the wait for KH:2 xD Probably really crazy...

I Agree on some points, though. From what i can remember with 1 (i'm waiting to replay the remix) it had a lot of things to look up for... I specially remember the Trinity Marks and they were awesome and overall as a game it just felt tighter and well thought...

Though i think the overall story of the Saga could have been developed better, as convoluted and overlycomplex as it is, i still like it. The low point for me there is DDD, the
Time traveling Xehanort
was too much xD They just gave explanation to some things that didn't need one.

One thing i remember from KH:II clearly was that "epic" feeling when every character goes to fight the hordes of Heartless/Nobodies in Radiant Garden. i liked the dramatic tension there, as it really gave us a feeling of catastrophe (when this kind of creatures look just cute and nothing quite dangerous, but seeing thousands was cool)

Also personally, i considered the Action Commands a really nice addition, they gave variety to battles and they are only overused with Xemnas i think, but it was totally worth it. (I still don't know what happens if you don't press Triangle repeatedly when he traps you in that ball of Light swords...)

It's crazy when i think about it, but i feel like Twilight Town's Sunsets and the whole imaginery of that Intro still lives in my mind... expanded though, thanks to Days... I don't know, i personally feel like the art direction and style of the games is perfect, like they fill you in the way words can't... It all comes together beautifully, and that's something i haven't found on many RPGs... (the other one could be Chrono Cross, that was amazing).

Totally got it. Well, i've never played a Final Mix Version, i always thought they were just milking off the games + some minor aditional features and now i guess i was wrong.

Maaaaan. If you like KH2 you are in for a treat when KH2FM likely releases here when the next HD collection comes (If you buy it that is).

KH2 Final Mix adds:

-Roxas boss fight at the beginning of The World That Never Was.
-Chain of Memories Organization members (Zexion, Larxene, Marluxia, Vexen, Lexaeus) as optional boss battles throughout the story.
-Optional super versions of all 13 Organization member fights as late game bosses.
-Lingering Will (Terras Armor) as optional late game boss.
-New Drive Form
-Max Drive level increased
-Many new abilities (including Exp 0 for ultimate KH challenge :3)
-New weapons
-Many new accessories
-New difficulty setting
-Christmas outfit for Sora, Donald and Goofy in Christmas Town <3
-New cutscenes
-New sidequest with collectible Crown Puzzle Pieces
-New sidequest with new Mushroom Heartless
-New late game dungeon
-Theater mode
-Recoloured heartless
-Some new music tracks

I probably forgot something :lol You can even get different crowns for Sora like in my avatar by doing the late game stuff.

You didn't forget much... But there is the Cavern of Rememberence which I loved. A great place to grind and it is pretty cool how it kinda brings back the platforming lost in KH2 to good effect. The way it slowly opens up as you play is really cool and how you need to upgrade your drive abilities to progress was awesome I thought. And dang it gets hard toward the end when it is just nobodies in droves.... Good times :)

EDIT: you mentioned it... I just missed it :p
Napalm_Frank said:
-New late game dungeon

Seda

I know some people posted about it when it aired during the PS4 stream last week, but the teaser for our KH episode of Timeline went up.

Be certain that when the script is drafted up I'll be hitting up some of you for "accuracy" checks, heh. I had a 2 hour meeting last Friday explaining the basics of the story to some of the production staff. When I wrote out all the Organization XIII members and their known originals (ie., Axel -> Lea) and tried to explain what the organization really was, I think that's when I lost everyone. I think it was too many names to process.

Perhaps you can come up with questions about plot points you guys aren't sure about and ask them in here. I would say several of the regulars in here have a decent to good grasp on all the weird explanations certain events have. User Paddington Bear especially.

Good luck.

Maaaaan. If you like KH2 you are in for a treat when KH2FM likely releases here when the next HD collection comes (If you buy it that is).

KH2 Final Mix adds:

-Roxas boss fight at the beginning of The World That Never Was.
-Chain of Memories Organization members (Zexion, Larxene, Marluxia, Vexen, Lexaeus) as optional boss battles throughout the story.
-Optional super versions of all 13 Organization member fights as late game bosses.
-Lingering Will (Terras Armor) as optional late game boss.
-New Drive Form
-Many new abilities (including Exp 0 for ultimate KH challenge :3)
-New weapons
-Many new accessories
-New difficulty setting
-Christmas outfit for Sora, Donald and Goofy in Christmas Town <3
-New cutscenes
-New sidequest with collectible Crown Puzzle Pieces
-New sidequest with new Mushroom Heartless
-New late game dungeon
-Theater mode
-Recoloured heartless
-Some new music tracks

I probably forgot something :lol You can even get different crowns for Sora like in my avatar by doing the late game stuff.

Wow, there i thought they were just milking them, i was totally wrong. Also, if there's a Remix 2.5... that should include 2, BBS, and... DDD?

I kinda want to install the PS2 and play KH2 again xDD my vacations will end soon though...

Haha, This is a crazy endeavor. I wish you the best of luck.

Oh hell yes, the Zelda one was goddamn masterpiece. Best of luck.

Roubjon

So I just beat DDD on Proud Mode and it was great. I felt like it combined Birth by Sleep and Kingdom Hearts 1 in terms of game play, which is awesome because those are my two favorite ones. I vastly preferred the skill system in BBS though. I rarely got the chance to use any abilities at all because I only changed Dream Eater sets 3 times.

I also thought
the string of final bosses was neat, and they were all fun. Some of the best boss fights in KH if you ask me. A lot of dodging and timing when you could attack or not.

In terms of story, I'll just take it for what it is. I don't think it's bad or anything, but the
time traveling Xehanort came out of left field and I don't quite get how he even got that many more new vessels
. Overall though, I couldn't help thinking how awesome it is to finally get answers to some questions I had when I first played KH1 10 years ago. Even if they are throwing new mysteries left and right. Also it was fucking hilarious whenever
Axel would say "The name's Lea, got it memorized?"
So corny, yet so fantastic.

I couldn't help but have a wide ass grin on my face when Riku and Sora both woke up and reunited along with Donald and Goofy. I felt like a goddamn kid again. It was also nice to hear Sora not forcing a higher pitched voice. He sounded so much more natural.

I didn't manage to get the secret ending though, or that secret message. I'll probably go back and do that.

So yeah, all aboard the KHIII hype train. Can't wait for it.

TheMink

Thats funny you really like the boss fights, i personally thought the bosses were the worst in the series. No hit stun, coupled with a couple bad design chioces imo makes me not enjoy it so much.

Edit: oh just the final bosses, i didnt dig those either but i they were cool in concept.

As far as the vessels, thats a reason OXIII exists. All the other vessels are Organization members.

Roubjon

Basically, the way I tackled the bosses was the same method as fighting monsters in monster hunter. Which is why I thought they were so fun. There was that constant fear of death that made it that much more intense.

The boss characters were definitely a little underwhelming themselves.

Ventus Nightmare
must be my favorite boss there, it actually killed me like 7 times xD but it was really enjoyable. And in overall bosses, that spellbird was a challenge when it summons all the past bosses, that was a really cool fight.

About the vessels, i was thinking, Isa will become a Xehanort? i can't see Nomura trashing that character, specially because of his relation with Lea (that's quite exploitable) and their past showed in BBS... to him to simply become another copy of the old dude...

Xux

Ventus Nightmare
must be my favorite boss there, it actually killed me like 7 times xD but it was really enjoyable. And in overall bosses, that spellbird was a challenge when it summons all the past bosses, that was a really cool fight.

About the vessels, i was thinking, Isa will become a Xehanort? i can't see Nomura trashing that character, specially because of his relation with Lea (that's quite exploitable) and their past showed in BBS... to him to simply become another copy of the old dude...
I think he already is; he's had the eyes and ears since KHII. Jeeze, I wonder if this was planned ever since Deep Dive when Roxas has glowing eyes out of nowhere...shoot, maybe the one glowing eye can be taken as his being meant as half of a Xehanort, lol.

I think he already is; he's had the eyes and ears since KHII. Jeeze, I wonder if this was planned ever since Deep Dive when Roxas has glowing eyes out of nowhere...shoot, maybe the one glowing eye can be taken as his being meant as half of a Xehanort, lol.

But i guess, for the sake of variety, they won't actually became a copy of the old man... And yeah, you have a point. Those eyes...

And wow, Deep dive, i haven't watched it for years... gonna rewatch it now.

McNum

Time to travel to a new world again with our trusty Gummi Ship! But halfway through the gummi level the heartless ships seem to vanish and the backround suddenly turns dark. What is this? Your surround sound system spews out a strange sound behind you and something like this starts playing.

Do it Nomura!
Do want.

I mean Pirates of the Caribbean has a world, why not get a Star Wars one? But it has to unlock a Keysaber keychain. Otherwise, well, what's the point?

What part of Star Wars would make for a good Kingdom Hearts world, anyway? The Death Star is an obvious choice, but no game with Star Wars in it is is complete without The Battle of Hoth. And you know Sora would pull off some crazy moves against the AT-AT walkers...

Do want.

I mean Pirates of the Caribbean has a world, why not get a Star Wars one? But it has to unlock a Keysaber keychain. Otherwise, well, what's the point?

What part of Star Wars would make for a good Kingdom Hearts world, anyway? The Death Star is an obvious choice, but no game with Star Wars in it is is complete without The Battle of Hoth. And you know Sora would pull off some crazy moves against the AT-AT walkers...

The reason why I wouldn't be too surprised to see a Star Wars world is that there are actually many things making it a obvious choise. Biggest one is that Nomura himself is a Star Wars fan. IIRC he personally was pushing for Hamill (and Nimoy) in BBS and that game felt like a love letter to Star Wars in many ways. Secondly we have heard that Disney is going to license Star Wars in video games fairly easily if they are to be believed so there certainly is no problem getting it in their own biggest videogame. Thirdly it works as a marketing tool with the new movies starting to come out. And lastly and most importantly it works in reverse too. Star Wars world in KH would be a big name to have and it just fits the franchise.

I would be more surprised if we don't see Star Wars world sooner or later, especially with them pushing stuff like POTC and Tron.

Star Wars world keyblade needs to have Millenium Falcon keychain :lol.

Top Bottom