• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Groof

As soon as I hit Deep Space with Aqua I've started doing zero damage to enemies. The
Vanitas
fight in Neverland took forever because I was barely damaging him. It's not like they're doing a lot of damage to me either, but it's such a contrast to before.

aravuus

What if Kingdom Hearts 3 retcons Dream Drop Distance? Sora wakes up and tells Kairi he's being having weird dreams of time travel and plot holes. That's how Kingdom Harts 3 should open.

Well, I hate the it was all a dream trope, but I'd be okay with this

Kinsei

Banned
As soon as I hit Deep Space with Aqua I've started doing zero damage to enemies. The
Vanitas
fight in Neverland took forever because I was barely damaging him. It's not like they're doing a lot of damage to me either, but it's such a contrast to before.

What commands are you using? If you don't have at least one seeker mine in your deck you're using Aqua wrong.

zeemumu

Managed to beat
Terranort
finally. Sonic Shadow is a lot more useful than Dark Volley in that fight. It's difficult to lock onto him during the meteor because he teleports when you try, but if you stand far enough away you can get it to work. For some reason, sonic shadow takes a really long time to connect between each strike so you can remain invincible throughout the entire attack without maxing out the lock on. You only need about 5.

That's one Proud Mode run down. I've already started on Ven's. Haven't gotten that far, just beat Dwarven Woodlands.

Managed to beat
Terranort
finally. Sonic Shadow is a lot more useful than Dark Volley in that fight. It's difficult to lock onto him during the meteor because he teleports when you try, but if you stand far enough away you can get it to work. For some reason, sonic shadow takes a really long time to connect between each strike so you can remain invincible throughout the entire attack without maxing out the lock on. You only need about 5.

That's one Proud Mode run down. I've already started on Ven's. Haven't gotten that far, just beat Dwarven Woodlands.

I used to just use a Shotlock to dodge the Meteor attack, until I realized that if you position yourself far enough from the meteors in one of the corners of the arena, you can simply block the whole meteor assault. Blew my mind when I pulled it off.

Vanitas is so fucking evil, lol.
Destroyed him in that fight with mickey
I've liked every playthrough in BBS. Loved Terra's powerful destroy-them-all-commands, Aqua's magic and Ven's natural Haste.

This game made me fall in love again with the story and the lore.

Groof

This game made me fall in love again with the story and the lore.

Yep. I beat the secret episode last night and it made me so hype for KH3. My first time playing that and it was super cool. Very interesting boss fight too, but it was dragged down by shoddy frame rate.

Edit: I got to say though, shotlocks trivialise critical mode. I used them way too seldom than I probably should've, but they make it very easy to cheese bosses.

zeemumu

They're having KH3 stuff at D23 Anaheim and I'm going but it's gonna be on a different day! Damn it, I need to pay for another badge.

A question for the erudites on the KH lore. What xehanort said about Eraqus succumbing to light, is that possible? I mean, it makes sense that if it happens for the dark side, it could happen for the other side too, doesn't it?

Falk

that puzzling face
There's a balance to everything.

Just as anger can turn to hatred, love can turn to obsession.

:philosofalk:

zeemumu

A question for the erudites on the KH lore. What xehanort said about Eraqus succumbing to light, is that possible? I mean, it makes sense that if it happens for the dark side, it could happen for the other side too, doesn't it?

Yep. Succumbing to light is a big driving point of the Keyblade War/Kingdom Hearts Chi. Even Eraqus flat out admits that
his intentions of preserving the light by killing Terra and Ventus
were evil. Xehanort wants to use the X-Blade and Kingdom Hearts to rebalance light and dark as he sees fit. However he plans on doing this in the realm of light so that's probably not gonna work out too well.

This is a plot point of Star Wars too if I remember correctly. The Jedi were overstepping their bounds a bit with what they asked of Anakin, and Mace murdering Palpatine instead of leaving him alive to face trial, while more logical, probably goes against the Jedi way.

Just beat Kingdom Hearts 1: Final Mix on Standard difficulty (didn't 100%).

Seems like everything kills in 2-3 hits without Aero. End-game bosses are just ridiculous.
Invisible heartless and those pink monkey snipers can go to hell.
Pretty much all of the worlds had some bad level-design and/or puzzles.

Still enjoyed it; probably moreso than my play-through waaaaaaaaaaaaay back when KH1 first came out.

sasuke_91

Just beat Kingdom Hearts 1: Final Mix on Standard difficulty (didn't 100%).

Seems like everything kills in 2-3 hits without Aero. End-game bosses are just ridiculous.
Invisible heartless and those pink monkey snipers can go to hell.
Pretty much all of the worlds had some bad level-design and/or puzzles.

Still enjoyed it; probably moreso than my play-through waaaaaaaaaaaaay back when KH1 first came out.

This sounds like you were horribly underleveled. Standard difficulty shouldn't be that hard.

I beat Kingdom Hearts BbS with all three characters. Aqua being the easiest playthrough (Mine commands are so overpowered :p). I still have to beat some stages in the Mirage Arena to get the last Xehanort report and get the Secret Ending (really looking forward to that).
BbS is definitely one of my favourite KH games. The characters are cool and play very different to each other. The story is also very interesting. There's still some questions that have to be answered, but I'll wait with that until I really complete the game :p

This sounds like you were horribly underleveled. Standard difficulty shouldn't be that hard.
Really? I thought I was over-leveled (pushing 60 by the final boss)
Even had two Omega Arts equipped and spent every stat-boosting item on Sora alone.

Wuuut? I played on Critical and beat every boss + the optional bosses on lvl 55. I don't remember being killed after 2 hits o_O

*shrug*
I'm just going by what I saw.

Wait...Critical? KH1: Final Mix just has Beginner, Standard, and Proud difficulties.

Groof

So I watched through all the DDD cutscenes yesterday.

I... I can't.

KuGsj.gif

The BBS OST is something else..

Tracks like "Master, tell me the truth" (with it's dark use of the same theme you hear at the beginning of the game) or "Black Powder" with it's epicness...

Just masterful work, can't stop listening.

The BBS OST is something else..

Tracks like "Master, tell me the truth" (with it's dark use of the same theme you hear at the beginning of the game) or "Black Powder" with it's epicness...

Just masterful work, can't stop listening.

KH soundtracks really reached a whole new level once Ishimoto and Sekito started sticking around.

sasuke_91

I finally finished Birth by Sleep :)
That Secret Chapter was really hard, especially the final boss. But I really like the story. It feels consistent and planned, not like the mess that is DDD. Aqua is a strong character and I really liked her.
One quick question:
Where did Aqua arrive at the end? What was that castle?
I'm really hyped for Kingdom Hearts 3 now :D

Tsunamo

When I expected Sora to meet Roxas after KH2 I did not expect it to go down like that.

Granted I didn't expect DDD at all to go down like that, so it's not surprising.
I finally finished Birth by Sleep :)
That Secret Chapter was really hard, especially the final boss. But I really like the story. It feels consistent and planned, not like the mess that is DDD. Aqua is a strong character and I really liked her.
One quick question:
Where did Aqua arrive at the end? What was that castle?
I'm really hyped for Kingdom Hearts 3 now :D
If I recall correctly it was
Cinderellas Castle/Castle of Dreams in the realm of darkness. The general assumption was you were going to wakeup some of the worlds that had fallen into darkness with Aqua in it.
It never amounted to anything though so we shall never know until Nomura finds a way to tell bbsv2's story.

zeemumu

When I expected Sora to meet Roxas after KH2 I did not expect it to go down like that.

Granted I didn't expect DDD at all to go down like that, so it's not surprising. If I recall correctly it was
Cinderellas Castle/Castle of Dreams in the realm of darkness. The general assumption was you were going to wakeup some of the worlds that had fallen into darkness with Aqua in it.
It never amounted to anything though so we shall never know until Nomura finds a way to tell bbsv2's story.

Roxas spends a good chunk of his screen time hung up on that question of why it has to be Sora. Their encounter in KH2 was the realization and DDD was the acceptance of that.

My entire problem with Aqua is that she's voiced by Thea Queen from Arrow, which retroactively ruined the character for me because now I can't unhear Thea.

sasuke_91

*shrug*
I'm just going by what I saw.

Wait...Critical? KH1: Final Mix just has Beginner, Standard, and Proud difficulties

You're right. The difficulty is called different in German, but KH2 and BbS had Critical (Veteran in German), KH1 didn't. Sorry^^
I was just surprised by how hard enemies hit you in Standard, might have come out wrong.

If I recall correctly it was

That was my first thought, too, but it didn't make sense to me. I would love to get BbS 2, I really liked that game.

My entire problem with Aqua is that she's voiced by Thea Queen from Arrow, which retroactively ruined the character for me because now I can't unhear Thea.

I didn't like her voice tbh. She sounded like she didn't open her mouth properly most of the time. Nothing wrong with her voice really, just her way of speaking :p

zeemumu

Y

That was my first thought, too, but it didn't make sense to me. I would love to get BbS 2, I really liked that game.

Cinderella's world was gone buy KH1 and Aqua's been gone an unspecified amount of time. Entire worlds have come and gone and cone back in the time that she's been gone, so it's fairly plausible.

I think that a Bbs2 would be... odd. Part of the charm of the first one is seeing the story of three friends unfold. In this one, it would just be Aqua doing her thing. Mickey could be in it, too.

Then again, I guess KH is a series that doesn't always do the most logical thing - been more than a decade between II and III after all

Andrefpvs

On the topic of BbS v2...

Would you guys be okay with it being a collection of cinematics (like Days HD and Re:coded HD)? Included with DDD HD, perhaps?

When I think about it, ssome parts of Re:coded HD were made from scratch, so I don't think this is impossible. If BbS v2 reused assets from the fallen worlds in BbS and the RoD, the number of new assets needed could be decreased.

I guess it depends on what kind of story Nomura wanted to tell with Volume 2.

Psxphile

I don't think BBSv2 would have been a full game. It seemed more like an expansion. If BBS had been developed for PS3 it probably would have had it as DLC at some point.

Hopefully with more than an hour of gameplay.

Tsunamo

Speak of Chi it added a Unchained Chi option to get a code to transfer your avatar look between both after maintenance the other day, plus the player survey also mentioned it so I get the feeling Japan's getting it soon.
Roxas spends a good chunk of his screen time hung up on that question of why it has to be Sora. Their encounter in KH2 was the realization and DDD was the acceptance of that.

I should have specified a bit more. I expected it to happen like that, but the way the scene turned out was extremely weird.

And funny you mention that, I started watching Arrow after playing Birth By Sleep a bunch of times, so I can't unhear Aqua when she speaks.
On the topic of BbS v2...

Would you guys be okay with it being a collection of cinematics (like Days HD and Re:coded HD)? Included with DDD HD, perhaps?

When I think about it, ssome parts of Re:coded HD were made from scratch, so I don't think this is impossible. If BbS v2 reused assets from the fallen worlds in BbS and the RoD, the number of new assets needed could be decreased.

I guess it depends on what kind of story Nomura wanted to tell with Volume 2.
I'd take it in any form rather than not at all, and that seems to be the only way we'd get it without taking too much devtime away from 3.
I don't think BBSv2 would have been a full game. It seemed more like an expansion. If BBS had been developed for PS3 it probably would have had it as DLC at some point.

Hopefully with more than an hour of gameplay.
I still retain the notion it was a planned Vita game that got scrapped after publishers did a 180 on it way back when.

And Re:CoM and Re:coded happened, so a rehash of worlds and going through the same thing slightly different wouldn't be too foreign in a non-main KH game.

Quadraxis

After playing 358/2 days a long time ago on my ds, i suddenly had the itch to play the Kingdom Hearts series :) So i bought the two hd collections(1.5 and 2.5) and just finished Kingdom Hearts for the first time. fun game, although the combat was a bit clunky. story was nice though. completed the game on lvl 54. Only had problems with
Hollow Bastion Riku fight
, but to me it felt like a git gut moment. the final boss was damm easy though.

So, reading the OP of this thread, it says Chain of memories isn't a must and i dont have that much time to game, so i was curious that if i skip it, i would still follow the story well enough? any insights on that?

zeemumu

After playing 358/2 days a long time ago on my ds, i suddenly had the itch to play the Kingdom Hearts series :) So i bought the two hd collections(1.5 and 2.5) and just finished Kingdom Hearts for the first time. fun game, although the combat was a bit clunky. story was nice though. completed the game on lvl 54. Only had problems with

So, reading the OP of this thread, it says Chain of memories isn't a must and i dont have that much time to game, so i was curious that if i skip it, i would still follow the story well enough? any insights on that?

Chain of Memories serves as the midpoint between 1 and 2. I played 2 before I played Chain and I was a bit lost, especially because of the intro.

My recommendation: Try it out. Can't stand it? Proceed to either:

1) You care about the story. Watch the cutscenes or read a short summary.
2) You don't care about the story. Skip straight to KH2.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah. Unless you really like card battlers (and Re:CoM is more of a hybrid) there's not much point to actually playing CoM as to watching the cutscenes through.

As far as the leadup into KH2 goes, since you've already played Days, it wouldn't be nearly as confusing if you skipped CoM outright. I think it's still worth watching though since there's quite a bit that Days didn't cover.

Son Of D

Random thought I just had. If PS4 versions of 1.5 and 2.5 are announced they'd have to update the PS3 versions to add save transfer correct? Assuming they'll allow for PS3->Ps4 save transfer that is.

Top Bottom