• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

According to the guy who tipped KH13 , Nomura has something instore for people who haven't played the previous games.

Nobody requested it so no reason to comment.

The question was to do with KH3 :"It's been two years since the first official announcement of Kingdom Hearts 3."
and Nomura kinda went off on a tangent to talk about the remixes. But yeah, nothing has been said about KH3D.
Although I guess something may have been lost in translation.

thatjesushair

Neo Member
Nobody requested it so no reason to comment.

I feel like a lot of people would love to play DDD since its the furthest chronologically and it was just really well received in general.

That being said, I'm sure it would be a pain in the ass to try and port to a normal console... Should just make it a movie like 358/2 and Coded

thatjesushair

Neo Member
...but can Sora's keyblade glow in the dark?!

Just 3D printed this keyblade!

tbACB0s.jpg

zeemumu

Chances of a KH Unchained release date next week at D23?

Possible, though I'm really only expecting KH3 stuff. I've been going back and forth on whether or not to buy a ticket for that day because I only have a pass for friday. If it's just announcements then probably not, but if there's hands on stuff and merchandise then yes.

They still need to announce it for Europe. I thought Gamescom would be it but it seems to be mostly FFXV I think

I'd assume that if they announced it at Anaheim's D23 it would only be in relation to the North American release.

Tsunamo

So Unchained Chi's getting released in September in Japan.

I knew Japan would endup get a date before the west. (and probably released before here too, even though one of the reasons for unchained was western audiences anyway)

zeemumu

So Unchained Chi's getting released in September in Japan.

I knew Japan would endup get a date before the west. (and probably released before here too, even though one of the reasons for unchained was western audiences anyway)

That's significantly earlier than I was expecting. So North America should expect it around December or beginning of 2016

Hachitora

Well it won't be too hard to get the game if it's out in Japan first (at least, for ios. Not sure how hard it would be for android). Only problem would be not understanding a thing, but I'm used to that from all the JPN-only mobile game's I've played

zeemumu

Well it won't be too hard to get the game if it's out in Japan first (at least, for ios. Not sure how hard it would be for android). Only problem would be not understanding a thing, but I'm used to that from all the JPN-only mobile game's I've played

If the language barrier isn't stopping you then you could just play it now. The browser version's been out for some time.

Hachitora

If the language barrier isn't stopping you then you could just play it now. The browser version's been out for some time.

I would've done that a long time ago but the fact that it's a browser game put me off from playing it for some reason. I guess I'll try it out eventually, but with Unchained coming out soon I might as well wait for that

I didn't expect much of the KH3 stuff in a few days but after the Gamescom XV circus I expect even less of SE.

Best I'm hoping for is a new world reveal with lameish trailer..

I think Frozen will be saved for closer to release when they have complete character models for the Disney characters. Also I think it's a bit too close to Tangled as a flick, perhaps the next world will be older school Disney like Jungle Book, Mouse Detective, Robin Hood, Sword in the Stone or Toy Story.

Possibly. I wonder if they are even thinking about how to properly spread out the announcements. I wouldn't be surprised if they do either Frozen or a Pixar confirmation, because those would be huge compared to the other worlds that you listed, Napalm. If the game is really coming in December 2016, then they have 2 D23 events (I think?) and one E3 left to deliver big announcements.

Possibly. I wonder if they are even thinking about how to properly spread out the announcements. I wouldn't be surprised if they do either Frozen or a Pixar confirmation, because those would be huge compared to the other worlds that you listed, Napalm. If the game is really coming in December 2016, then they have 2 D23 events (I think?) and one E3 left to deliver big announcements.

Jump Festa has traditionally been a big event for KH (ofc with the rulebreaking 2014 one with nothing). Also Gamescom 2016, PAX and whatnot. There are a ton of events in late 2015-late 2016 if they want to use them for info reveals.

I personally think they should announce one world at each of the big events. I don't think it's a stretch to say they have probably around 10 Disney worlds. That easily would carry them even to a 2017 release and give fans something to look foreward to.

I am a bit pessimistic on some things when it comes to KH3 but one thing I am positive about is the localization speed this time round. I know they kinda fumbled with the HD collections but for KH3 to be prominantly present at E3 shows and western D23 with actual (half) localized trailers makes me think this might not have another of those 6 month waits.

Jump Festa has traditionally been a big event for KH (ofc with the rulebreaking 2014 one with nothing). Also Gamescom 2016, PAX and whatnot. There are a ton of events in late 2015-late 2016 if they want to use them for info reveals.

I personally think they should announce one world at each of the big events. I don't think it's a stretch to say they have probably around 10 Disney worlds. That easily would carry them even to a 2017 release and give fans something to look foreward to.

I am a bit pessimistic on some things when it comes to KH3 but one thing I am positive about is the localization speed this time round. I know they kinda fumbled with the HD collections but for KH3 to be prominantly present at E3 shows and western D23 with actual (half) localized trailers makes me think this might not have another of those 6 month waits.

Oh geez I haven't even thought about localization times (._.') Your opinion on the quick turn-around makes sense, though

I've been thinking the same. A worldwide simultaneous release might not be impossible this time around.

Rush_Khan

It's weird that I'm really excited for a browser-turned-smartphone game. Hope it releases soon in the West.

Did anyone play the browser version? Was it any good?

Tsunamo

It's weird that I'm really excited for a browser-turned-smartphone game. Hope it releases soon in the West.

Did anyone play the browser version? Was it any good?
It's pretty fun, addictive and deep for a free to play game. Hopefully they don't dumb it down/cut out too much on Unchained, stuff like weekly events keep it quite fresh if you keep on coming back to it.

I think folks will have fun with it on mobile if it captures the core elements of the game.
I'm predicting a reveal of the new Frozen world at D23... and then the proceeding meltdown of the internet
The day Frozen gets confirmed is the day we head to the internet bunkers. I do think we're getting a new world for sure at D23, but i'm not sure if it'll be Frozen yet.

zeemumu

The fact alone that Frozen would be in the game is enough for people to buy it.

I thought the reveal for the KH3 trailer was pretty big. After that, I remember seeing a whole bunch of KH stuff on many gaming sites.

No I meant the idea of Frozen in Kingdom Hearts breaking the internet.

I know Frozen's gonna bring in more fans to the series. Hell, I got into this series because of the Disney characters (I was in elementary school when the first game came out). But I don't think it'll be earthshattering. At the very least I'm hoping that if the fan base gets large enough, Disneyland will start selling KH stuff at the park.

No I meant the idea of Frozen in Kingdom Hearts breaking the internet.

I know Frozen's gonna bring in more fans to the series. Hell, I got into this series because of the Disney characters (I was in elementary school when the first game came out). But I don't think it'll be earthshattering. At the very least I'm hoping that if the fan base gets large enough, Disneyland will start selling KH stuff at the park.

In terms of popularity and awareness about the game, a reveal of the Frozen world, complete with the characters, locations, and especially the music of the game, would be big. If KH3 delivers on its promise of large, open worlds, then fans of Frozen would love to see a recreation of the movie's world. As for bringing in new fans for KH, I do agree with you that there will be some newcomers to the series, but Frozen isn't going to make KH3 sell millions of more copies.

I'm trying to find sales numbers of Disney Infinity to see how Frozen affected DI 1.0, but I can't seem too find it.

How well did the Olaf game sell again?

Quick cash-ins like that don't normally sell well.
Plus, they designed the game around the worst character in that movie :p

Tsunamo

I didn't mean to overstate Kingdom Hearts popularity or anything, the audience has got more and more smaller (though dedicated) ever since they split the series into a bunch of games and platforms after 2, the HD collections were a step in the right direction though and i'm sure getting back to a mainline numbered installment will increase the audience again. (even though Nomura's back to his old ways with Kingdom Hearts Chi links to KH3/ties in with it)

But yeah I do think a bunch of people will be quite happy if a Frozen world's announced. I don't think it'll have a massive impact on sales or anything, but there sure is a bunch of people that love Frozen that it'll be amusing to see reactions from people. (who both love and hate it)

With that said though if a Toy Story world ends up happening i'd probably freakout myself considering those movies were a big part of my childhood (moreso than any other disney/pixar films) just as Frozen no doubt is to quite a lot of kids.

zeemumu

I'm still waiting on a Haunted Mansion world (based on the ride, not the movie), an Atlantis world, and a Treasure Planet world.

I didn't mean to overstate Kingdom Hearts popularity or anything, the audience has got more and more smaller (though dedicated) ever since they split the series into a bunch of games and platforms after 2, the HD collections were a step in the right direction though and i'm sure getting back to a mainline numbered installment will increase the audience again. (even though Nomura's back to his old ways with Kingdom Hearts Chi links to KH3/ties in with it)

But yeah I do think a bunch of people will be quite happy if a Frozen world's announced. I don't think it'll have a massive impact on sales or anything, but there sure is a bunch of people that love Frozen that it'll be amusing to see reactions from people. (who both love and hate it)

With that said though if a Toy Story world ends up happening i'd probably freakout myself considering those movies were a big part of my childhood (moreso than any other disney/pixar films) just as Frozen no doubt is to quite a lot of kids.

Can't wait for the reveal and the inevitable gaming side thread where people bitch about the movie and how sick of it they are.

zeemumu

They can only fight fire with fire. Release Agrabah!

I would be ok with KOT Agrabah

I'm really tired of Agrabah though. And there's nowhere else to go. We've explored the shit out of the cave of wonders. I guess we could go into the palace but, meh. Plus I don't think Maleficent's down for resurrecting Jafar. She already regretted bringing Oogie back to life, and either she or someone else brought Ursula back to life twice.

RPGCrazied

Where is Dream Drop Distance HD? Are they really going to release III without this? I'm sure DDD has some major plot points in the game. I don't remember.

Where is Dream Drop Distance HD? Are they really going to release III without this? I'm sure DDD has some major plot points in the game. I don't remember.

DDD has the biggest plot points since KH2. It'll be confusing AF to have not played it and going into 3 , even if you have played the others.

Famassu

There was a small interview of Nomura about Kingdom Hearts III in a Finnish magazine. Not sure if any of this is new information, but here are the essentials from the interview.

-Nomura has heard the complaints that the Disney worlds & their stories have become a bit too separated from the larger KH storyline and has tried to take that into account when they've been coming up with the Disney worlds & stories of KHIII. They'll still have their own short stories but they'll try to better integrate parts of the KH story into what happens in the Disney worlds.

-as he has said before, he can't really comment on any other worlds that are in the game but the ones that they have shown/announced. He talks about the process of choosing worlds. Basically, anyone in the team and even outside the team can make suggestions, but they have to make detailed descriptions on how the worlds would be and preferably also suggest some gameplay mechanics & gimmicks that they could use in those worlds (i.e. a large part of the reason why Tangled was picked was Rapunzel's hair). Nomura then goes through those suggestions and they try to choose all the ones that sound the most fun and try to fit that in the larger narrative & gameplay ides of what they've planned for KHIII

-the struggles of the FF franchise doesn't affect how they handle possible FF characters & their storylines in KHIII (i.e. they aren't going to diminish the presence of FF in KH just because the franchise might be a bit damaged in the eyes of the gamer public)

-he doesn't go too in-depth on why they switched to UE4, only to say that what we originally saw was prototype stuff from a period of development when they weren't too deep into the full production of the game and were still just figuring out a lot of stuff related to the development of the game and now that the game has been in full production for quite some time they are trying to achieve the level of graphics seen at the time and maybe even exceed them

-one of the bigger evolutions is, of course, the size of areas. Whereas the old KHs had loading screens constantly, they'll try to eliminate loading screens as much as possible

-the gameplay needs to be familiar but also there needs to be fresh & new things. So they are balancing with stuff like making movement (jumping, combos etc.) feel familiar while also offering new things

-those Disney Amusement Park attraction moves are one of the big new combat features. They are partly based on the idea of the flow motion system from DDD, but because of people's complaints about flow motion, they've tried to make something as flashy but in a bit more controlled fashion. They are optional & can be extremely context sensitive. Some can be limited to certain areas, others can even be battle-specific. Whenever you can use one, there's a command-prompt on screen and you can choose to use one. Or not.

Aaand, that's all. Really not all that much new stuff (if any at all), but anyways...

Top Bottom