• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

zeemumu

-those Disney Amusement Park attraction moves are one of the big new combat features. They are partly based on the idea of the flow motion system from DDD, but because of people's complaints about flow motion, they've tried to make something as flashy but in a bit more controlled fashion. They are optional & can be extremely context sensitive. Some can be limited to certain areas, others can even be battle-specific. Whenever you can use one, there's a command-prompt on screen and you can choose to use one. Or not.

Come on, you're one step away from that Haunted Mansion world

fates

Where is Dream Drop Distance HD? Are they really going to release III without this? I'm sure DDD has some major plot points in the game. I don't remember.

I have a feeling there will be HD (HD HD? D:) releases for the franchise around KH3's release timeframe. It'll probably be there.

Also I spent the weekend getting wrecked by Demyx and his cloning antics. Then I used Fira. Talk about turning the tables, that fries the water clones in like 1/4 the countdown.

Rush_Khan

Where is Dream Drop Distance HD? Are they really going to release III without this? I'm sure DDD has some major plot points in the game. I don't remember.

I honestly think they will include a DDD movie with KH3 (only if you preorder, of course T_T). Can't remaster the whole game because of the dual screen mechanics.

I'm just wondering how they will re-cap the rest of the series for newcomers. I can see the possibilty of another remaster as mentioned above, but it seems unlikely considering the possible licensing issues with regards to a digital release.

Tabris

So I just started playing KH: Birth by Sleep for the first time.

I love the command system.

Now here's my big issue with the game. Starting back to 0. Beat Terra on Proud. Now I have to do the same thing with Ventus and Aqua, which would be fine except I have to re-level everything. It's basically 3 separate games. A bit annoying.

My motivation to play through Ventus took a huge hit as the game is boring without better abilities.

iosefe

Now here's my big issue with the game. Starting back to 0. Beat Terra on Proud. Now I have to do the same thing with Ventus and Aqua, which would be fine except I have to re-level everything. It's basically 3 separate games. A bit annoying.

My motivation to play through Ventus took a huge hit as the game is boring without better abilities.

it's actually not too hard to meld good abilities during the first few worlds. you can look up a melding guide if you wish

zeemumu

Going from Terra to Ventus on Proud mode is surreal. You can feel the speed, but you can also feel the weakness. I had just cleared Radiant Garden the last time I played.

Tirod

When's the KHIII D23 stuff going to happen? Isn't D23 happening this weekend?

Having lurked in the D23 thread during the animated film announcements, apparently Sunday morning.

According to these posts.

Also we got an official name for the Tangled world from the Kingdom Hearts Twitter: Kingdom of Corona
Kingdom Hearts Twitter said:
PLfRgAc.png

zeemumu

Gah, I was hoping it would be right at the start of the convention. Sunday morning in NA means Sunday evening for me. -_-

11AM. I don't think the show floor opens to the general public until 10 so I'm gonna have to haul ass that day if I'm gonna avoid the crowd that happened today.

Tsunamo

On the brightside of things if we get a trailer chances are Disney will upload it to their channel not long after it being shown like last year rather than having to wait awhile.

Famassu

I personally don't think Kingdom Hearts III is necessarily the place to introduce Star Wars into the franchise. Would maybe be better if they'll wait for Kingdom Hearts IV and tie Star Wars stuff more closely to a new post-Xehanort storyline than introduce some major SW characters & stories into the finale of the current Disney focused KH that is extremely busy building up to an epic finale & the conclusion of the current storyline & tying up a lot of loose ends.

If SW is going to be a part of the KH franchise, I think it needs to be so in a huge way, not just a single world in a game focused on finishing the Xehanort storyline that has a million other things to worry about. Darth Vader or such could/should be a big part of the new storylines and accomplices to the future threat much like some classic Disney villains have been to Xehanort. Kingdom Hearts' story needs a bit of a soft reboot with Xehanort's defeat (or whatever happens) and I think the new beginning that is supposedly KHIV would be the optimal time to introduce SW to KH. Start KHIV with a big SW-introducing & including bang instead of wasting potential by having as important & powerful a character as Darth Vader just pop out of somewhere when he hasn't been any kind of part of the story before the finale.

Dereck

I could only see that working as having a Star Wars character being a one off boss like Sephiroth.

But really, the game kind of needs some breathing room from all of the franchises if that makes sense.

zeemumu

I could only see that working as having a Star Wars character being a one off boss like Sephiroth.

But really, the game kind of needs some breathing room from all of the franchises if that makes sense.

Darth Vader showing up in an empty clearing with Duel of the Fates playing would be awesome.

c-murph

Do we know what world's are returning?

I would assume the Colosseum for the tournaments, optional boss battles and a new
FFVII Remake Sephiroth~!!

Tsunamo

I need to see Big Hero 6 now.

Most interesting thing about this reveal is the potential it opens up for worlds, it means more CG movie worlds seem more likely, which in turn makes Pixar more likely. I'm totally fine with this, while it will be sad not to visit some old worlds a final time at the end of the saga CG Disney/Pixar movies really lend well to the new artstyle (and the same type of disney worlds we see in Kingdom Hearts with nothing feeling out of place) in 3 so i'm most welcome to most of the worlds being based off of them.

And the other one is that world being set after the movie, it shows that there's plenty of interesting options for world plots rather than just following the movies with a abridged plot. After the Tangled world reveal and now this i've strongly got the impression that the Disney worlds will feel more original and involved like the original Kingdom Hearts rather than a sideline (even if we do have keyblade war 2.0 and final installment of this saga going on inbetween it all) again this time.
Do we know what world's are returning?

I would assume the Colosseum for the tournaments, optional boss battles and a new
FFVII Remake Sephiroth~!!
So far only Twilight Town and Olympus Colosseum have been confirmed, but there was a world that was shown at a 2.5 launch event that could have been The Land of Departure, chances are we'll end up going there to
Wakeup Ven

Edit: Dunno how I forgot that we've had post-movie plotlines in Kingdom Hearts before. Still I don't think we've got one that starts out from there as a introduction to the world.

Famassu

I need to see Big Hero 6 now.

Most interesting thing about this reveal is the potential it opens up for worlds, it means more CG movie worlds seem more likely, which in turn makes Pixar more likely. I'm totally fine with this, while it will be sad not to visit some old worlds a final time at the end of the saga CG Disney/Pixar movies really lend well to the new artstyle (and the same type of disney worlds we see in Kingdom Hearts with nothing feeling out of place) in 3 so i'm most welcome to most of the worlds being based off of them.

And the other one is that world being set after the movie, it shows that there's plenty of interesting options for world plots rather than just following the movies with a abridged plot. After the Tangled world reveal and now this i've strongly got the impression that the Disney worlds will feel more original and involved like the original Kingdom Hearts rather than a sideline (even if we do have keyblade war 2.0 and final installment of this saga going on inbetween it all) again this time. So far only Twilight Town and Olympus Colosseum have been confirmed, but there was a world that was shown at a 2.5 launch event that could have been The Land of Departure, chances are we'll end up going there to
Wakeup Ven

Edit: Dunno how I forgot that we've had post-movie plotlines in Kingdom Hearts before. Still I don't think we've got one that starts out from there as a introduction to the world.
Well, Nomura did mention in the recent interview I described earlier in this thread that he's aware of the criticism that the stories in the Disney worlds have become a bit too separated from the KH story and that's one thing they are trying to fix in KHIII. The stuff that happens during the worlds should be more connected to what is happening in the game now.

Now, not only do you have to buy different game systems to keep up with Kingdom Hearts, you also need to actually watch the disney movies now

iLmAyOFGnAGWH.gif

This isn't new though... If a player didn't watch Pinocchio, for example, what would they think when they see that the Pinocchio world in Kingdom Hearts takes place in the belly of a whale?

Besides, they're Disney movies. They don't exactly have the toughest of plotlines to figure out :p If there was a world based on something like Synecdoche, New York, then players would be in some big trouble

zeemumu

This isn't new though... If a player didn't watch Pinocchio, for example, what would they think when they see that the Pinocchio world in Kingdom Hearts takes place in the belly of a whale?

Besides, they're Disney movies. They don't exactly have the toughest of plotlines to figure out :p If there was a world based on something like Synecdoche, New York, then players would be in some big trouble

If I remember correctly, KH2's Halloweentown takes place after Nightmare Before Christmas while the KH1 world takes place before.

botty

Banned
Considering Disney Infinity is a major flop that is causing Disney to lose millions, I fully expect them to push KH3 hard for 2016.

zeemumu

Considering Disney Infinity is a major flop that is causing Disney to lose millions, I fully expect them to push KH3 hard for 2016.

Is it? I assumed it must have been doing at least slightly well for Disney to triple down on it. And I think Disney Interactive lit a fire under Square Enix' butt to get that thing finished. I'm really glad that they're finally taking notice of the KH fanbase. Maybe that means we'll finally start seeing some Kingdom Hearts merchandise in Disneyland.

I don't play Disney Infinity but I'm keeping that King Mickey power disc and figure that they handed out after the panel.

Also, no one really mentioned this but they said that they new reward for 100% collection in 3.0 is the keyblade as an unlockable weapon.

Tabris

So I'm watching a youtube video of the "movie" version of dream drop distance and damn, so much story in this compared to the other Nintendo handheld games. I hate playing handheld games, so it's really annoying this didn't have an HD remix.

I wonder how they will summarize BbS and DDD in KH3 as there's so much story content that most people will have missed.

Golnei

Also I wonder who they'll get for old Xehanort since Leonard Nimoy died.

They might just avoid giving Master Xehanort any dialogue at all, considering his Japanese actor died relatively recently as well. Considering the increased prominence given to Young Xehanort in 3D and the teasers for III, it wouldn't be that odd to refocus towards mainly depicting Xehanort in that form, with Terra-Xehanort standing in for the 'current' Xehanort.

If they do decide to recast him, in English it'll probably be Corey Burton. It'll be sort of weird having him voice characters that used to be played by Christopher Lee, Tony Jay and Leonard Nimoy in the same series...

zeemumu

So I'm watching a youtube video of the "movie" version of dream drop distance and damn, so much story in this compared to the other Nintendo handheld games. I hate playing handheld games, so it's really annoying this didn't have an HD remix.

I wonder how they will summarize BbS and DDD in KH3 as there's so much story content that most people will have missed.

You can get up to speed in the series just by playing DDD. Everytime someone in that game references something that happened in a past game, a prompt pops up that tells you that you unlocked a flashback cutscene or plot summary of one of the past games. That's how I learned about Coded without playing Coded for a while.

Tsunamo

Something about going with Terra-Xehanort/Youngnort to me or purposely keeping Master Xehanort quiet most of the game wouldn't feel right to me, like they're purposely avoiding giving him any lines after his two voice actors passed. If it was intended originally rather than being written around then I don't mind though, I just don't want it to feel like it was forced because of the actors passing when Master Xehnaort in his regular old form has been the face of Birth By Sleep and to a extent the main nort/reveal at the end of DDD pulling the strings.

I'm not sure who'd replace both voice actors for him, but I remember some folks not being sure on if Nemoy would reprise Master Xehanorts role in Dream Drop Distance and thinking he'd be replaced by someone else so I don't think people would mind a soundalike even if it's not the same. (that and we've had it happen with both Ansem The Wise and SoD now)
Well, Nomura did mention in the recent interview I described earlier in this thread that he's aware of the criticism that the stories in the Disney worlds have become a bit too separated from the KH story and that's one thing they are trying to fix in KHIII. The stuff that happens during the worlds should be more connected to what is happening in the game now.
That's great to hear. Glad they took that on board and are trying to fix it.
Christopher Lloyd pls
I can't help but picture a hilarious scene with Master Xehanort appearing to his younger self and going "We've gotta go back Norty!" now.

They might just avoid giving Master Xehanort any dialogue at all, considering his Japanese actor died relatively recently as well. Considering the increased prominence given to Young Xehanort in 3D and the teasers for III, it wouldn't be that odd to refocus towards mainly depicting Xehanort in that form, with Terra-Xehanort standing in for the 'current' Xehanort.

If they do decide to recast him, in English it'll probably be Corey Burton. It'll be sort of weird having him voice characters that used to be played by Christopher Lee, Tony Jay and Leonard Nimoy in the same series...

Young Xehanort is the worst villian design (by KH standards), and most uninteresting of them all. I'd be very disappointed if old master xehanort has no relevance on kh3.

Top Bottom