• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Tsunamo

So is anyone from KHGAF gonna take the plunge and go with Japanese Unchained if we don't have a date next month?

I'm kinda tempted to considering i've played Chi for a couple of months now and wanna transfer my avatars look, but on the otherhand it'd probably be much more enjoyable if I just waited for the English version and kept it fresh. Granted my iPhone's pretty outdated now so i'm not even sure if it'd meet the requirements to run Unchained.

KanameYuuki

Alright, I was able to complete 100% Terra on critical, each boss was getting worse and worse but I'm glad I did not give up, The Unknown is still one of the worst gaming experiences I ever had, now I'll have to do it all over with Aqua and Ven but thank god I don't have to use bulky Terra again.

KanameYuuki

I 100% Aqua and Ventus whee~, Unknown wasn't that bad with Ventus and Aqua, No heart was giving me some trouble with Aqua but it only took a few tries, I didn't struggle against the bosses like I did with Terra, now I understand why he did not pass his mark of mastery exam, he is not good in combat and neither controlling his darkness.

Falk

that puzzling face
I 100% Aqua and Ventus whee~, Unknown wasn't that bad with Ventus and Aqua, No heart was giving me some trouble with Aqua but it only took a few tries, I didn't struggle against the bosses like I did with Terra, now I understand why he did not pass his mark of mastery exam, he is not good in combat and neither controlling his darkness.

Nah, he didn't pass his mark of mastery because he wears shitty pants.

zeemumu

I found a Kingdom Hearts pin at Disneyland today. It's a pin of Mickey in an Organization XIII cloak. Didn't think I'd ever see any KH merchandise there.

Woah Cybah is a NeoGAF member? wahh!!!T:/
Yeah, I mostly lurk around here. :p

KH13.com ‏@KH13com 5m5 minutes ago
The Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ service will begin at 12PM JST. That's 8PM PST and 11PM EST.

It seems like we have to wait until later to actually play. Nice that you can download it early, though.

Falk

that puzzling face
the most surprising people post on GAF

image.php

Psxphile

Wait.

Anyone download Japanese Chi yet?

I can't seem to find it on the iTunes store.

KH13.com ‏@KH13com 5m5 minutes ago
The Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ service will begin at 12PM JST. That's 8PM PST and 11PM EST.

It seems like we have to wait until later to actually play. Nice that you can download it early, though.

What's happening? Are... are they really stealth releasing a KH game (albeit a port)? No fanfare, no press release (no huge thread in Gaming), just... boom, there you go?

This feels wrong.

Famassu

What happened to that fucking WORLD WIDE RELEASE NOMURA
Worldwide release != simultaneous release.

That said, considering the semi-stealth release of the Japanese version, it wouldn't be too surprising if they made it available outside Japan within a week or two. Or it could take 3 months.

Tsunamo

It's really interesting to see how Unchained cut down the fat/mmo elements to Chi making it feel like a much more smaller, built for mobile title. Missions are segmented into small areas of Chi's map rather than exploring the whole thing like in Chi. In some aspects this is great as it allows you to get through the story and game quicker, but on the other hand I do miss the ever expanding and huge browser game feel vanilla Chi had to it.

Also interesting message from Nomura since Unchained launched
http://www.khinsider.com/news/Messa...ture-of-the-Main-Story-Unchained-Updates-5963
Finally a new KINGDOM HEARTS has begun.

There were countless occasions where the "Keyblade War" was mentioned. Moreover, the story can already be attained through the PC Browser service, KINGDOM HEARTS χ [chi], and with KINGDOM HEARTS Unchained χ, players can personally become Keyblade wielders and experience in the KINGDOM HEARTS universe.

First of all, in order to grow as Keyblade wielders, we have prepared over 200 main quests. Since main quests will be added every month, continuing to clear them will bring you closer to the truth of the "Keyblade War”. Preceded by KINGDOM HEARTS χ [chi], in this month’s story, you will be greeted with an expansion. But in KINGDOM HEARTS Unchained χ, while you are welcome to progress in either expansion, there is a time where two of the games for χ overlaps and I believe will bring you closer to the truth.

So, the Foretellers, Chirithy, and Ephemera, they are new characters who progress in the world of χ. They are the future and may become what exists in the main storyline of the KINGDOM HEARTS series. And I think that is why experiencing the world of χ will be enjoyable.

In the future, you can enjoy a variety of KINGDOM HEARTS stuff in the game and because it’s planning to add a variety of content, we hope to continue the long journey together.

It should be noted that, the people managing the official Twitter will have announcements about management from time to time with up-to-date information. While we do not correspond to questions, it is recommended that you follow it. It’s possible slightly informal contents may appear rarely.

KINGDOM HEARTS series
Director Tetsuya Nomura
This implies that the game's about halfway done in terms of missions/story content and that Nomura hasn't changed one bit and people will have to play Chi/Unchained to once again have a clue what's going on in 3 at times.
Those poor people that think they can skip everything after 2 and just jump into 3 knowing what's happened

Also note how it makes no mention of a Western release date Blood Diamonds
*flees from thread*

Falk

that puzzling face
maybe they're saving western Unchained release for TGS since TGS is a western focused event

Tsunamo

Famassu

It's really interesting to see how Unchained cut down the fat/mmo elements to Chi making it feel like a much more smaller, built for mobile title. Missions are segmented into small areas of Chi's map rather than exploring the whole thing like in Chi. In some aspects this is great as it allows you to get through the story and game quicker, but on the other hand I do miss the ever expanding and huge browser game feel vanilla Chi had to it.

Also interesting message from Nomura since Unchained launched
http://www.khinsider.com/news/Messa...ture-of-the-Main-Story-Unchained-Updates-5963
This implies that the game's about halfway done in terms of missions/story content and that Nomura hasn't changed one bit and people will have to play Chi/Unchained to once again have a clue what's going on in 3 at times.
Those poor people that think they can skip everything after 2 and just jump into 3 knowing what's happened
When it comes to the story told in Chi so far, it's really not all that in-depth. It introduces a few new characters/concepts & maybe hints somewhat vaguely at what kind of story threads KHIII will have, but overall so far it's not even nearly as important as other spin-offs like Birth By Sleep, Chain of Memories or Dream Drop Distance and is more in the realm of Coded.

Currently, all that it does is introduce the Foretellers & the Book of Prophecy, sheds a tiny bit more light on the Keyblade War and hints at Xehanort's (or someone somehow assosiated with him) role in all of it. If Foretellers are introduced to KHIII, Sora & Co will need to have them explained, so that's not much of a problem for people who haven't played Chi. If the book of prophecy is important for KHIII's story, that will also need additional exposition in KHIII as to how it relates to KHIII's story and not just its role in the Keyblade War. The Keyblade War stuff itself is nothing deep, just a bit more background info about it. And why a certain seen-in-the-future Keyblade looks like it does and how it ties to the Foretellers is also something that will likely be revealed or much expanded upon in KHIII rather than something that will be thoroughly explained in Chi and left without much explaining in III.

And Chi's whole deal about
Dream Eaters
will possibly just tie Dream Drop Distance, Chi & III's events more closely together, but unless Chi totally ramps up its storytelling, it's not something that will leave a lot people, who haven't played the game, completely in the dark.

I mean, if this stuff is as important to KHIII as Nomura implies, then most of it will need to be expanded upon & explored with a lot more depth in KHIII itself. Chi might introduce these important characters & other stuff, but if they are to be brought into the "future" somehow, their existence/relevance does need to be explained, and that explanation will have to include some kind of briefing as to what/who they are.

So far Chi is more like how Coded teased the return of MX & the Mark of Mastery that were then more thoroughly handled in DDD, which made Coded almost obsolete from a story POV because all of it was explained a lot better. I see the same happening with Chi. It explains the origins of the Keyblade War and introduces some characters & concepts that might be important for KHIII somehow, but to have those characters/concepts be important in KHIII, their existence/importance in the NOW will have to be explained and that will likely have to include some kind of explanation as to who they were in the past.

Take something like the Book of Prophecy. Ok, Chi players already know it exists and will have a rough idea what it is, but if they are to introduce it as some kind of important piece of KHIII's story, they'll need to justify it somehow and that justification will likely include some kind of explanation as to what the Book of Prophecy even is. So people won't be left in the dark too much vs. Chi players. Sora won't just suddenly start talking about the Book of Prophecy in KHIII as if we should know what it is. Some villain might mention it first before it is explained and that's when Chi players will have a slight advantage in knowing roughly what they are talking about, but there will surely be a point in the game where Sora & Co will get an explanation as to what the BoP is (if it's important to the story).

Hachitora

So I've been playing Unchained Chi, and while I can't understand the story whatsoever, the gameplay is pretty alright. Waiting patiently for the english version to come out though, since it's hard to understand much of what's going on.

I guess I'm new to this thread since I haven't posted here before.

I didn't have a chance to play the series until 1.5 came out, so I ended up playing through that at launch. I finally got 2.5 more recently and played through it last month. Since then, I picked up Dream Drop Distance two weeks ago and just finished it earlier tonight.

Now that I'm actually caught up for the moment, I can finally enter this thread without worrying about spoilers.

zeemumu

I guess I'm new to this thread since I haven't posted here before.

I didn't have a chance to play the series until 1.5 came out, so I ended up playing through that at launch. I finally got 2.5 more recently and played through it last month. Since then, I picked up Dream Drop Distance two weeks ago and just finished it earlier tonight.

Now that I'm actually caught up for the moment, I can finally enter this thread without worrying about spoilers.

Well, there's still the Chi spoilers that Dreamydrop used to put in this thread for the browser game.

aravuus

I hope they sell that blade so sometime in the near future I can find a Youtube video of two emo kids fighting each other with actually dangerous keyblades, shouting "DUUUAALLL WIIIEEELLLDDD" and accidentally stabbing each other to death on camera

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I hope they sell that blade so sometime in the near future I can find a Youtube video of two emo kids fighting each other with actually dangerous keyblades, shouting "DUUUAALLL WIIIEEELLLDDD" and accidentally stabbing each other to death on camera

They display all the weapons they make for the show.

aravuus

What is X, again? Chi? All I know is that it's apparently a mobile game that may or may not get localized? Does it have critical story elements? Is it actually fun to play?

Cause I want more KH

They display all the weapons they make for the show.

Bummer

What is X, again? Chi?

"χ"... A most ancient letter. Some say "kye", but the meaning is the same. Death... A letter that spells endings.

Supposedly it's not that bad of a game. Not neccessarily critical story elements, more like deepening the lore with some elements appearing in KH3. It is getting localized.

Top Bottom