• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Mediking

I said the same but apparently there's some theory out there.

So I changed my cover idea. I want sora riding on an elephant(dream eater) the Foretellers in the back.

Ahh... Dream Eaters... the Pokemon of the KH universe. Lol.

Anybody who hasn't played KH DDD before and is hoping that the Dream Eaters are super cool in KH 2.8 are in for a rude awakening. The only Dream Eater I really liked was the T-Rex looking one. Well... the unicorn Dream Eater was cool looking too.

Ahh... Dream Eaters... the Pokemon of the KH universe. Lol.

Anybody who hasn't played KH DDD before and is hoping that the Dream Eaters are super cool in KH 2.8 are in for a rude awakening. The only Dream Eater I really liked was the T-Rex looking one. Well... the unicorn Dream Eater was cool looking too.
They are all shit don't lie mediking. We only use them for abilities

Mediking

They are all shit don't lie mediking. We only use them for abilities

Agreed which is why I didn't really feel any emotion with this scene.... A scene that's trying hard for you to feel compassion for Dream Eaters

tumblr_mtm1w3qjhw1rxpxkxo4_250.gif
tumblr_mtm1w3qjhw1rxpxkxo2_250.gif

Hachitora

Welp, took me about 10 hours of going through Re:CoM Proud tryna get the trophy to realize I've already beaten it on Proud, so I wasted my time >.>

Mediking

Can't wait to see KH3's CGI intro. KH always has like the best CGI intros. Heck, I hope KH 2.8 gets a new CGI intro from DDD. DDD's was pretty hype.

tumblr_n1hpttAwU91rq0857o3_250.gif

tumblr_merdp4Z0Km1rrugdwo1_500.gif

Famassu

It's your own fault for not playing a free game.
Not like anyone would know all that much about the Foretellers even if they did play that free game.

I mean, there are a few different and (originally friendly) competing factions. Their leaders are called Foretellers thanks to the Book of Prophecy given to them by their master. This book tells about the looming darkness that will consume all worlds sometime in the near-ish future so now those factions are collecting light to battle the increasing forces of darkness, yet no matter how much they collect light, the darkness seems to be increasing. So clearly something is going wrong. There's some tensions that rise between the Foretellers, there might be some secrets among them & shit going on behind the scenes that the Keyblade wielder working for them, incl. the player character ((and thus, us gamers), don't know about and apparently at least one of them is a traitor of some kind (maybe corrupted by darkness or at least in cahoots with someone who is).

That's pretty much all that several years worth of Chi & Unchained has given us, aside from speculation of ulterior motives, who the traitor is and such.

Malyse

Not like anyone would know all that much about the Foretellers even if they did play that free game.

I mean, there are a few different and (originally friendly) competing factions. Their leaders are called Foretellers thanks to the Book of Prophecy given to them by their master. This book tells about the looming darkness that will consume all worlds sometime in the near-ish future so now those factions are collecting light to battle the increasing forces of darkness, yet no matter how much they collect light, the darkness seems to be increasing. So clearly something is going wrong. There's some tensions that rise between the Foretellers, there might be some secrets among them & shit going on behind the scenes that the Keyblade wielder working for them, incl. the player character ((and thus, us gamers), don't know about and apparently at least one of them is a traitor of some kind (maybe corrupted by darkness or at least in cahoots with someone who is).

That's pretty much all that several years worth of Chi & Unchained has given us, aside from speculation of ulterior motives, who the traitor is and such.

So the MMO Kingdom Hearts still has MMO storytelling?
images

also

Banned
The intro CGs would be a lot better if they fixed the human characters. The faces and hair look really off-putting.

The intro CGs would be a lot better if they fixed the human characters. The faces and hair look really off-putting.

Some scenes kind of look weird but a great part of them are quite flawless, specially DDD's intro (The roxas/axel scenes are incredibly good).

I hope when E3 rolls we get confirmation if KH3 is now in development.

KHGAF betting special: how many new games will be announced at E3 2016 that will release before KH3?

Mediking

KHGAF betting special: how many new games will be announced at E3 2016 that will release before KH3?

KH3 prolly isn't coming to late 2017.... I will be shocked if KH3 gets alotta footage shown at E3. KH3 needs to shake up the formula too. Especially gameplay wise. Improve battling, exploring, and giving the gamer the feeling that he/she is on their own grand adventure. We gotta do more than just run in pretty places and fighting monsters. But even the side activities can get boring if they aren't done right. KH isn't Final Fantasy but it would be awesome if it borrowed some elements.

also

Banned
They just look really glassy and super CGI. Lol but I don't think they look bad.
*creepy people stares*
Nope, the hair looks like play dough and the faces like porcelain dolls.

Some scenes kind of look weird but a great part of them are quite flawless, specially DDD's intro (The roxas/axel scenes are incredibly good).
Notice how the Axel/Roxas scene doesn't focus on the faces.

botty

Banned
So the MMO Kingdom Hearts still has MMO storytelling?
images

You really have to stop justifying this. This is actually an issue I see a lot with fanboyism, where there is an acceptance of a subpar product just because it fits into an established role. Stop justifying the behavior of these developers, and let them justify a reason to get your money and attention. What's most aggravating about this, is that it's not completely unlike how days told its story.

Tirod

So I know everyone part of US KHGAF got their Kingdom Hearts Orchestra tickets today right? And you all spared no expense getting VIP tickets to meet Yoko Shimomura correct?

RIGHT?

Anyone else going to the June 10 show? I got my VIP ticket but my 2 other friends were being stingy and got cheapo tickets way in the back.

Malyse

You really have to stop justifying this. This is actually an issue I see a lot with fanboyism, where there is an acceptance of a subpar product just because it fits into an established role. Stop justifying the behavior of these developers, and let them justify a reason to get your money and attention. What's most aggravating about this, is that it's not completely unlike how days told its story.

I've played a fuckton of MMO's and none have done the story much better. The only exception is maybe The Secret World. Most MMO's have pacing issues out the ass when if comes to story. I've played 40 hours of FF14:ARR and I don't know at all where the story is going. Same for Guild Wars 2, Vindictus, and plenty of other MMO's. On top of that, Kingdom Hearts is terrible at storytelling. In every game but KH1 and BBS, you are visiting worlds for the sake of filler, mainly because they seem too damned scared to deviate far from the Disney originals to create an actual connected narrative. KH2 is one of the worst offenders: visit once for nostalgia, twice for plot. Lots of fluff and filler and eventually a story. Is it okay? Fuck no. But I'm not going to lie to myself and expect an immediately awesome story from a KH game. I'm not giving them a pass, I'm asking why in thee fuck were you expecting better. Look at their track record and keep your expectations in check. I ain't justifying a damn thing.

iosefe

So I know everyone part of US KHGAF got their Kingdom Hearts Orchestra tickets today right? And you all spared no expense getting VIP tickets to meet Yoko Shimomura correct?

RIGHT?

Anyone else going to the June 10 show? I got my VIP ticket but my 2 other friends were being stingy and got cheapo tickets way in the back.

if i lived near one of the venues, hell yeah, but...noo

botty

Banned
I've played a fuckton of MMO's and none have done the story much better. The only exception is maybe The Secret World. Most MMO's have pacing issues out the ass when if comes to story. I've played 40 hours of FF14:ARR and I don't know at all where the story is going. Same for Guild Wars 2, Vindictus, and plenty of other MMO's.

Just because other MMO's aren't good with pacing and storytelling does not mean that we as consumers should justify and settle for the same thing over and over. Developers should work to generate new ideas and ways to fix any issues that arise. Storytelling should not be an exception here. I refuse to believe that what is on display in Unchained is the best effort that could do as far as storytelling goes... especially when you have the Disney catalog at your disposal. I mentioned once how I really liked the little Moogle/Gummi Ship thing, which suggests an origin for the moogle shops. Unchained should be full of moments like this.

Just off the top of my head...Unchained could give an origin stories to inconsequential things like accessories, munny, mini-games, synthesis material, hell...even sea-salt ice-cream. The game could be expanding the lore is very subtle ways in-between all of these quick little "where is the heartless?" missions.

On top of that, Kingdom Hearts is terrible at storytelling. In every game but KH1 and BBS, you are visiting worlds for the sake of filler, mainly because they seem too damned scared to deviate far from the Disney originals to create an actual connected narrative. KH2 is one of the worst offenders: visit once for nostalgia, twice for plot. Lots of fluff and filler and eventually a story. Is it okay? Fuck no. But I'm not going to lie to myself and expect an immediately awesome story from a KH game. I'm not giving them a pass, I'm asking why in thee fuck were you expecting better. Look at their track record and keep your expectations in check. I ain't justifying a damn thing.

Whether or not Kingdom Hearts can tell a good story is irrelevant since we haven't been given much of a story yet anyway. I would say that when Unchained does give its little story moments, they are quite decent and don't hit you over the head with things. Re: the reveal of chirinthy being a dream eater. However, like I said above, when we don't get those moments... there is nothing.

I don't see what Kingdom Hearts 2 did so wrong that Kingdom Hearts 1 didn't do as well. Returning to the worlds in KH2 was great because each time it expanded the world. And what exactly constitutes one story being filler over another? Every Kingdom Hearts game pretty much has you going into a world and solving its particular problems, and then dealing with a problem involving the bigger plot. Kingdom Hearts 2 is no different here, except its split up.

Famassu

I've played a fuckton of MMO's and none have done the story much better. The only exception is maybe The Secret World. Most MMO's have pacing issues out the ass when if comes to story. I've played 40 hours of FF14:ARR and I don't know at all where the story is going. Same for Guild Wars 2, Vindictus, and plenty of other MMO's. On top of that, Kingdom Hearts is terrible at storytelling. In every game but KH1 and BBS, you are visiting worlds for the sake of filler, mainly because they seem too damned scared to deviate far from the Disney originals to create an actual connected narrative. KH2 is one of the worst offenders: visit once for nostalgia, twice for plot. Lots of fluff and filler and eventually a story. Is it okay? Fuck no. But I'm not going to lie to myself and expect an immediately awesome story from a KH game. I'm not giving them a pass, I'm asking why in thee fuck were you expecting better. Look at their track record and keep your expectations in check. I ain't justifying a damn thing.
Again, there is a big fucking difference between the way Chi handles its story vs. how higher quality MMOs do things, even if they do them in a very MMO-y stretched out way. FFXIV ARR's storytelling is hardly perfect, but even with all its flaws & pacing-issues, there is SOME kind of story to everything. With the main story, there is proper build-up where you spend a fairly long time getting to know A LOT of different people & become a part of the group trying to fight against the powers that they are up against. And when the story DOES take steps forward, those are some pretty lengthy steps instead of the 3-year drip-feed that is KH Chi, in which - even after 3 years - the story is still extremely vague with details, bigger context, character motivations & such. The game has been hitting us in the head with the same vague storybeats for a long time without giving us all that much additional, meaningful new info.

Even the most mundane quest in something like FFXIV usually serves some purpose for someone in the world & has a little bit of backstory, build-up & pay-off to it (except maybe some tutorial-like missions & monster hunts), even if it's not super exciting or relevant to the main story. In Chi, you go to Agrabah and try to find that "special Heartless" that took the monkey with him, except about 5 gazillion Agrabah missions in, we've pretty much forgotten the damn monkey and accomplished NOTHING except run back & forth in the fucking desert.

Chi's form of storytelling goes like this: "hey, maybe this completely irrelevant character X is over here? No, then maybe he's over here? No, not there either, let's go to this place instead? Nope, not here, maybe we should go back to the place we started at!" for 40 missions in a single location, then you don't even find said character X because who knows why. Then the cat bitch comes along and says "hey, how about we go to a new world for no reason!" and then you do the same thing all over again without NOTHING advancing in any kind of meaningful way. Then, about 500000 missions in, you get the first proper story cutscene that lasts all of 1,5 minutes (if even that) and even that story scene really doesn't push the story forward more than a few nanometers.

Even non-mandatory side quests in FFXIV have an actual structure. You maybe get the back story (maybe a merchant who deals weapons who sent an apprentice to go get some stuff from the next town that is the main producer of said stuff), then you have to backtrack the apprentice's steps and find out he has strayed off the main road for some reason. Then you find him being harassed by some thugs, who turn out to be hired goons of some competitor of the merchant, this leads you to an additional 2-3 mission questline where you try to serve some justice to this scum competitor who tried to harm the merchant's apprentice. As a surprise twist it turns out the merchant you had originally helped had done shit to the competitor first and the competitor was just trying to get back at the the merchant. Yes, something like that is not the most original or exciting thing to experience, but at least it gives you some context & purpose while also doing some subtle world-building.

An MMO like FFXIV might not be some kind of masterclass example of storytelling & pacing, but it's about a million light years beyond the likes of Chi. Same goes for other KH games. Even if games like KHII & DDD have Disney stories that don't have all that much to do with the main storyline, the Disney world mini story arcs advance at a pretty brisk pace, often do have at least some short story-relevant cutscenes. And you aren't trapped in Agrabah for 70 hours chasing shadows before you get to the next world, only to return to Agrabah for 90 hours later on, STILL just to chase those same shadows (and still not getting anything done). So even if their relevance to the bigger whole can be brought under question, there at least IS some story with a beginning and (a temporary) end during your first 2-3+ hour visit to the Mulan world in KHII.

Days might be a bit boring with how much sea-salt ice cream you have to watch Roxas & Co eat, but there IS some kind of story arc there where it starts with an emotionless Roxas just existing with no purpose or meaning to his life, who then starts to develop a personality little by little and ends with him having bonded with two other people so strongly that he's willing to fight for them. The dialogue might suck. The pacing might be off. But at least the friendship forming between Roxas, Axel & Xion feels somewhat believable and the drama that starts to surround Xion as Org XIII advances with their plans creates some intrigue and emotional investment to the situation in comparison to Chi where you meet some dude for 2-3 times and then suddenly they are the bestest of friends who'd fight until death to save each other. Or something. It doesn't feel earned because even WHEN you see these characters together, the interactions feel shallow & too short to make their bonding feel earned.

DKHF

A decent amount... (assuming KH3 releases in the second half of 2017) As a random example From Software have a quick turn around between announcement and release so I wouldn't be surprised if Bloodborne 2 was announced at E3 for early 2017.

Mediking

I freaking love Tension Rising! It's one of my favorite KH songs! And.... does anybody have any blindfolded Riku avatars? You know, when he wears a blindfold and a jet black coat?

zeemumu

I know I say this often, but every year Once Upon a Time creeps closer and closer to becoming Kingdom Hearts.

They're literally splitting people into light and dark halves now.

Top Bottom