• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Ydelnae

Still waiting for Chi.

xsGmOx1.jpg

Malyse

I hope we get a KH3 trailer that ends with Vader breathing over a black screen. I would laugh myself into a coma watching the meltdowns.

GoldStarz

Ahhhhhh. I'd be ok with it. Seems like the "IN" thing right now. Hell, if Pirates and Nightmare can have a place in the series, why can't Marvel?

Because both Star Wars and Marvel are too big, at least in my opinion. They already have their own rules in play regarding the universe (and multiverse) that conflict with KH's. I think Big Hero 6 is a happy medium for KH, but I can't think of anything like that for Star Wars since all their animated series are either canon or part of a bigger story.

Famassu

Ahhhhhh. I'd be ok with it. Seems like the "IN" thing right now. Hell, if Pirates and Nightmare can have a place in the series, why can't Marvel?
People are against Star Wars & Marvel for different reasons. Some don't want KH to "ruin" those franchises, some don't think they fit KH, some want SQEX/Disney to focus on non-Marvel/SW IPs since there are still quite a lot of classic pre-2000s animated Disney movies (not to even mention TV shows & such) that we haven't seen in KH so far and they rather SQEX focus on those than overcrowd KH with even more franchises to choose from and perhaps leave some fan favorites unused.

botty

Banned

Pirates and Nightmare are both original Disney movies. Marvel and Star Wars are acquisitions.

They have no place in Kingdom Hearts. Hopefully Disney has learned from the mistakes in Disney Infinity (dead and canceled) to avoid such things.

Malyse

Pirates and Nightmare are both original Disney movies. Marvel and Star Wars are acquisitions.

They have no place in Kingdom Hearts. Hopefully Disney has learned from the mistakes in Disney Infinity (dead and canceled) to avoid such things.

Disney Infinity didn't fail though. In fact, it was winning the T2L category; they cancelled it because of low ROI compared to outsourced products like Battlefront coupled with overly ambitious production orders. Outsourced products like Kingdom Hearts. But hey, don't let the actual facts get in the way of ignorant assertions.
People are against Star Wars & Marvel for different reasons. Some don't want KH to "ruin" those franchises, some don't think they fit KH, some want SQEX/Disney to focus on non-Marvel/SW IPs since there are still quite a lot of classic pre-2000s animated Disney movies (not to even mention TV shows & such) that we haven't seen in KH so far and they rather SQEX focus on those than overcrowd KH with even more franchises to choose from and perhaps leave some fan favorites unused.

Because both Star Wars and Marvel are too big, at least in my opinion. They already have their own rules in play regarding the universe (and multiverse) that conflict with KH's. I think Big Hero 6 is a happy medium for KH, but I can't think of anything like that for Star Wars since all their animated series are either canon or part of a bigger story.

Into a coma.

Famassu

Why would that matter? Star Wars would fit KH far better than something like Pirates of the Caribbean. It's already focused on the battle of light & dark forces, which is a focal point of KH as well.

botty

Banned
Disney Infinity didn't fail though. In fact, it was winning the T2L category; they cancelled it because of low ROI compared to outsourced products like Battlefront coupled with overly ambitious production orders. Outsourced products like Kingdom Hearts. But hey, don't let the actual facts get in the way of ignorant assertions.

Please provide evidence of anything you've claimed. Of course it was cancelled because of flow ROI... this is a given. Saying it was because of "outsourced products" is totally avoiding the fact that general interest and sales for the series nosedived. Marvel and Star Wars iterations of the games were desperate attempts to keep it relevant and save the series based on its original investment. Show me sales data, show me chart placement, show me actual numbers that suggest the series was ever "winning."

Why would that matter? Star Wars would fit KH far better than something like Pirates of the Caribbean. It's already focused on the battle of light & dark forces, which is a focal point of KH as well.

But then this is like saying Star Wars would fit better than Winnie The Pooh, Alice in wonderland, Lilo & Stitch, etc. Disney still has plenty of untapped original content from its library that should always take precedence over acquisitions.

Maybe they can include them in something like Kingdom Hearts Unchained X.. which is inconsequential.

Malyse

Please provide evidence of anything you've claimed. Of course it was cancelled because of flow ROI... this is a given. Saying it was because of "outsourced products" is totally avoiding the fact that general interest and sales for the series nosedived. Marvel and Star Wars iterations of the games were desperate attempts to keep it relevant and save the series based on its original investment. Show me sales data, show me chart placement, show me actual numbers that suggest the series was ever "winning."

But then this is like saying Star Wars would fit better than Winnie The Pooh, Alice in wonderland, Lilo & Stitch, etc. Disney still has plenty of untapped original content from its library that should always take precedence over acquisitions.

Maybe they can include them in something like Kingdom Hearts Unchained X.. which is inconsequential.
You were so busy celebrating that you didn't read any articles about what happened, huh? They overshot production for 2.0 and had too many figures. Battlefront make more money and cost them less. This has all come out in the aftermath.

BTW, Disney licenses Pooh and Tarzan, that's why they have their own copyright info in game. On the other hand, they own SW and Marvel

ALL-NEW-X-MEN-40-ICEMAN_article_story_large.jpg

"Let's not put our incredibly popular and valuable IP in this game. Let's stick in old stuff no one cares about anymore. That should boost sales."

EDIT: and stop trying to pretend you didn't imply the DI "failed" because of Star Wars and Marvel. Weak deflection.

Flunkie

Banned
man, I started KH1 (on PS3) for the first time last month, then it grinded to a halt around Halloween Town for me. Just didn't like that section at all. Does it get better?

DKHF

c7IrF6K.jpg

Never underestimate a thirsty fanbase.

Feels like we should be getting that new 2.8 trailer soon-ish.
I guess they are just waiting until a certain time to reveal it regardless of when it hit 10k :p

With 2.8 I'm not sure if SE will do what they did with 2.5 and release the trailer in the week before E3 or if it'll be in Sony's conference followed immediately by a KH3 trailer (like what happened last Jump Festa except this time the KH3 trailer would have all new stuff and be longer). I'm guessing a 2.8 trailer mainly showing off 0.2 footage and then a KH3 trailer at Sony's conference.

Famassu

man, I started KH1 (on PS3) for the first time last month, then it grinded to a halt around Halloween Town for me. Just didn't like that section at all. Does it get better?
It gets MUCH better soon afterwards. Other than perhaps revisiting a couple of worlds, you're getting near to the end game which has some cool stuff in the last couple of worlds.

Psxphile

Atlantica will probably kill your drive, but if you can get past that the game really picks up with the one-two punch of
Neverland
and
Hollow Bastion

(spoilered just in case you don't want to know what's coming just yet)

Famassu

I don't think Atlantica is all that bad, at least if you know what you're doing, and especially with the improved camera controls of 1.5.

Psxphile

I don't think Atlantica is all that bad, at least if you know what you're doing, and especially with the improved camera controls of 1.5.

The main issue for me was you can't use any of your advanced melee skills. Most people complain about Ursula, though.

Ydelnae

I liked Atlantica. I think it was a fun and different world, the only frustrating bit was localizing the dolphin.
I even liked KH2 Atlantica.

Tsunamo

Agrabahs story finished this month on Chi, so we can finally get back to the mainstory of Chi soon.

c7IrF6K.jpg

Never underestimate a thirsty fanbase.

Feels like we should be getting that new 2.8 trailer soon-ish.
We're thirsty for that Unreal Aqua render. Or it could just be new Nomura art for 2.8, either way I'd still be happy for something.

But yeah seems pretty likely with this and E3 around the corner a new 2.8 trailer (with hopefully a date) will come soon. Hopefully we get to see some Aqua gameplay, rather than just another part of a cutscene showing her.

Tsunamo

But then how will I import 2.8 and play it a couple of months before the English version, then rebuy it shortly after?

I'd love it to be December WW

Tsunamo

Aqua is fighting in a destroyed Daybreak Town.
I thought the same. While the clock gears could be related to memories (and activates one like Terra coming down the step in The Castle of Dreams) they remind me of the Daybreak Town ones.

There was also that world that was talked about in a earlier KH3 theater showing that sounded suspiciously similar to Daybreak Town, the Unreal Engine 4 model they're using in 0.2, and the hints of Unchained possibly being a
sleeping world
that Aqua restores. Then we'd be able to explore it in Kingdom Hearts 3.

I fully expect Nomura to do something like this, even moreso with Backcover being in the same collection as 0.2

On another note the Black cloak is holding a dandylion which has signifigance considering what
Ava's doing with the keyblade wielders in Chi moving onto the next world
and Ursus leader bowing himself to him making it look like he was higher up might mean he's the master of masters despite the young sounding voice. I guess it's more likely they're the 6th apprentice who didn't recieve a tome though.
That's Castle of Dreams...???
The bridge collapsed and she didn't make it there in time. In the gameplay footage you can see it in the distance and you go downwards to a town. (along with parts of the collapsed bridge)

StoneFox

Aqua looks amazing in Unreal engine! I guessing Back Cover is a movie like Days and Recoded? It definitely looks interesting at the very least.

True Realm of Darkness could be a houge poge of worlds similar to end of the world except more visible to tell. That would lead to great atmosphere

Psxphile

Yeah, not convinced.

They're similar in the way medieval fantasy-based towns usually are, but not exact. Though I do like the idea of RoD being a mixture of different fallen worlds, kinda like how KH1's End of the World was, especially near the end w/ some of the worlds from BBS adorning the walls of the final hallways.

Famassu

I dunno, but it looks like they might be using (parts of) those Daybreak Town objects/houses in 0.2 just to save money on the development costs of Fragmentary Passage. Those sides of buildings look almost exactly like the Daybreak Town buildings' sides.

Tsunamo

Yeah, looking at some other promo art of the town, you folks are probably right. It's probably still a part of The Castle of Dreams world, that's awesome in its own right.

Still though, while it's very very unlikely if it was partly Daybreak Town it would be a good way to bring it back for 3 and tie in two things in Kingdom Hearts mostly unrelated together.

But yeah it being a mixure of fallen worlds like The End of the World would be a cool. Makes me wonder what the purpose of the gears are though, to repair more of the world? Gears of time restoring a memory like the Terra Castle of Dreams one everytime you get a gear? I like the idea that each one triggers a memory of the past for Aqua and we get so see a couple of Birth By Sleep things in Unreal Engine 4, perhaps even end it on the final memory being the Terranort battle and us getting to re-expirence it like someone suggested in one of the main gaming topics.
Though it'll probably just be another heartless instead as the final boss

And then another question I guess that pops up is where does Mickey meeting Aqua again come into all of this? I feel like if 0.2's getting a E3 demo it'll be a bit more lengthier than I expected.
Aqua looks amazing in Unreal engine! I guessing Back Cover is a movie like Days and Recoded? It definitely looks interesting at the very least.
Yeah, it's basically covering what went on behind the scenes that we didn't get to see in chi/unchained, along with giving enough to give people who haven't played the games an idea of what's going on in them.

It's pretty exciting though! We don't just get to see the whole movie in Unreal Engine 4 (and it already looks beautiful) but we get to see mostly new material not shown in the games yet, versus Days and Re:coded where we'd already seen most of it before.
I dunno, but it looks like they might be using (parts of) those Daybreak Town objects/houses in 0.2 just to save money on the development costs of Fragmentary Passage. Those sides of buildings look almost exactly like the Daybreak Town buildings' sides.
This also makes sense from a development point of view, and would save time on creating new assets.

Top Bottom