• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Psxphile

Also some keyblades had some kind of weight or constitution stat that dictated how easily you could deflect an attack during a swing and how quickly you recover from it (and I think how fast you swing the keyblade). Also pairing with the Counterattack ability meant that with some keys you could fire off counters much more easier than others.

Nothing better than being able to completely dominate mobs with Metal Chocobo. Unfortunately, keyblade weight class stopped being a thing after KH1.

Just got an email that my Amazon pre-order was just updated from a January 2017 release date to a December 2016 release date. Think it means anything? I'm not reading into it too much...

Malyse

Just got an email that my Amazon pre-order was just updated from a January 2017 release date to a December 2016 release date. Think it means anything? I'm not reading into it too much...
SE would definitely release KH3 and 2.8 in the same month. Now, I've got some exclusive KH swag autographed by Nomura that I can sell you if you're interested. One of a kind, totally legit.

It means literally nothing

Malyse

I think BBS confirms Roxas and Ventus are the same person. In Ven's story, he meets Even (I just realized how stupid that name is. Even? REALLY?) after he saves Ienzo from some unversed. Even tells Ventus that he has "a feeling [they] are destined to cross paths again." That makes most sense if Roxas = Amnesiac!Ventus and the crossed paths was in OrgXIII.

Psxphile

I think it confirms Even is a creep, no matter the affiliation.

Still, they'll probably need his help to restore Xion, Namine and Roxas at some point. Unless Nomura has some other magic solution he can asspull.

Psxphile

They wouldn't be able to go all out like they did with Sora vs. Roxas so why bother? Though agreed, it would have been nice for it to be there from the beginning. Like on Destiny Islands at the beginning of KH1. Really make you earn that keyblade.

Malyse

They wouldn't be able to go all out like they did with Sora vs. Roxas so why bother? Though agreed, it would have been nice for it to be there from the beginning. Like on Destiny Islands at the beginning of KH1. Really make you earn that keyblade.
You forget how incremental the upgrades in KHFM were. Even Re:CoM only added a few new things: duel in R/R, a Zexion fight, and Lord of the Castle boss. Every upgrade doesn't have to be major.

-----

Ventus didn't have Keyblade Armor when he trained with Xehanort. I love small details like that.

I personally wanted a boss fight with one of the TWEWY characters (preferably Joshua) to be added to 3DHD. I guess it's neat that they're adding extra Dream Eaters, but considering the new one shown so far is (yet another) palette swap of Meow Wow, I'm betting they're all going to be reskins of existing Dream Eaters with slightly different Ability Link grids. Hell, I'd even take new commands at this point (KHFM, KHIIFM and BBS International/Final Mix all had new abilities/commands added)

Then again, it's pretty hard for me to complain about that when they actually bothered getting the game to run at 1080p/60.fps

Speaking of upgrades though, I do like that Re:CoM HD added a handful of cards based on Days' keyblades. That was pretty neat.

Tsunamo

Re:CoM was pretty great with remaking the whole game and adding new things while staying true to the original game.

The only thing the original has going over it is those beautiful 2D sprites.

On the topic of Final Mix/Re changes I wish happened i've gotta second a Lea vs Ven battle. I seriously thought that was gonna happen in BBS Final Mix, but we didn't endup getting it. Still though, BBS Final Mix managed to add a decent amount of stuff even not counting crowns which the English version got.

On the topic of DDDHD i'll be happy if they just add some extra special portals so we can redo the Xemnas and SoD fights. Being Nomura it also wouldn't suprise me if he adds a extra couple of cutscenes.

Ydelnae

Well, they said they don't want to add anything new to a 3D re-release and just skip into the next thing so I wouldn't expect anything substantial other than Dream Eater skins. I want to be able to redo the last boss fights whenever I like, though.

Ydelnae

Nomura, give us a Wreck it Ralph world NOW!

tumblr_inline_o1y783ec6W1r086fu_500.gif

And use some chibi FF characters from World of FF in it too.

DKHF

I still haven't seen that movie but I guess I should considering it might be in KH3 (and the fact that it's supposedly a really good movie).

I want to be able to redo the last boss fights whenever I like, though.

The only ones they'd really need to make available for replays are Sora's nightmare and Ansem.

Shame that Ansem in particular can't be re-fought. He feels more like a final boss with his two forms than Young Xehanort or the Armored Ventus Nightmare do.

Malyse

I hope Nomura puts Shibuya as a KH3 world even when that IP is kind of dead. I need more TWEWY.
That won't happen.
In an interview with Gamespot, co-director of Kingdom Hearts III Tai Yasue was asked whether or not fans would see any worlds based on the Final Fantasy series. Yasue was quick to shut down these hopes by stating that world selection are based on ‘gameplay’ elements that would make the world unique and interesting. The fear is that Final Fantasy worlds already have a basic and familiar style that is difficult to create variety from.

“The best thing would be to have Disney Worlds every recognize and are famous, but that are also distinct and unique.We want the difference and variety, we don’t want a lot of the same thing”
Birth by Sleep excites me for 0.2. Aqua is so amazing.

Malyse

I'm gonna miss [chi], especially with how they just went "fuck it" in the last few months. I hope that linked Unchained accounts get some kind of bonus. Like all of our outfits transferred over.

Ydelnae

Welp, that last story update for Chi PC. This is going to end right before a big reveal is going to happen and we'll have to wait until BC and Unlimited season 2, I'm sure lol

Tsunamo

I'm gonna endup having to play Unchained after next months update to see what happens now, aren't I?

That was quite the mindfuck update. For people who want a summary:
http://forums.khinsider.com/kingdom...ts-x-chi-6th-apprentice-rising-conflicts.html

I'm gonna say either the 6th apprentice survives onto the post-keyblade war world and becomes Xehanorts Master, who in turn hands down/pops in the idea of the keyblade war/his will into Xehanorts head. Or something similar to that, perhaps where the MoM is the master and Xehanort is the apprentice who inherits his will.

Thus starts the lead in to triggering the events of the past yet again and eventually leading to another keyblade war.

Malyse

Luxu can't be Xehanort's Master because Eraqus was chosen as the successor. Why would he not give the favorite son his keyblade?

AVA GONNA DIE.

Falk

that puzzling face
i just had the best idea square enix should cancel kh unchained and release a different kh mobile game where you go around irl collecting dream eaters

iosefe

i just had the best idea square enix should cancel kh unchained and release a different kh mobile game where you go around irl collecting dream eaters

what a great idea. they can even take some elements like the Prism from World of Final Fantasy.

aravuus

It's time for my annual KH series-or-at-least-the-games-I-feel-like-playing replay soon but fuck there are so many new games to play and more just keep coming

RIP KH series replay 2016

Tsunamo

I was thinking about doing one again soon but I figure i'll just wait until the eventual PS4 collection so I can play them all in (hopefully) 60fps on one platform.
Luxu can't be Xehanort's Master because Eraqus was chosen as the successor. Why would he not give the favorite son his keyblade?

AVA GONNA DIE.
Oh yeah, good point. Guess that throws that out of the mix.

Ava doesn't deserve her cruel fate :(

sora87

I'm playing through the HD collection at the moment and omg i forgot how much i despise the chain of memories combat system, especially in boss battles. I don't think i can go through this again..

I'm playing through the HD collection at the moment and omg i forgot how much i despise the chain of memories combat system, especially in boss battles. I don't think i can go through this again..

I feel like boss battles are pretty much the only time Chain of Memories is any fun, weirdly enough. It's kind of a slog at the start, but once you start getting good sleights, it's pretty enjoyable.

The Org. XIII and Riku Replica bosses in particular are pretty enjoyable.

Especially once you realize they're all free to Sonic Blade

Falk

that puzzling face
I'd enjoy CoM a lot more if there wasn't like a very definite best-practice that you'd gravitate towards.

Yeah yeah, every game has those, but it's just a little exacerbated in a deck-building game.

sora87

Yeah I forgot how OP sonic blade can be. It doesn't help playing it so soon after KH1, going through all the same worlds again.

Psxphile

I think everyone silently acknowledges that voice acting in Re:CoM was bad, having to lip synch to Japanese mouth flaps creates some awful-sounding dialogue. And all because they chose to present every voiced cutscene as fmv instead of real-time. This is a strange decision that affects a lot of PS2 games, The Xenosaga series was pretty bad about it too.

Chain of Memories works better in 2D. Re: CoM, voice acting notwithstanding, is worse than the original. There, I said it.

Eh, I'll agree to disagree. Movement in the 2D version is a pain in the ass, and that alone keeps me from ever going back. Let alone things like card duels in Reverse/Rebirth actually keeping the battle dynamic a tad bit fresher as opposed to the tedium R/R was in the GBA version.

And yeah, the vast majority of Re:CoM's voice acting sucks. Larxene being pretty much the only exception.

Eh, I'll agree to disagree. Movement in the 2D version is a pain in the ass, and that alone keeps me from ever going back. Let alone things like card duels in Reverse/Rebirth actually keeping the battle dynamic a tad bit fresher as opposed to the tedium R/R was in the GBA version.

And yeah, the vast majority of Re:CoM's voice acting sucks. Larxene being pretty much the only exception.

I dunno, I like the movement in 2D better. Having to deal with lock on and a camera while also moving through the deck is just a pain. I feel like the combat system lends itself better to a fixed camera.

Tsunamo

Re:CoM's way more funner for me because of all the sleights (which allow me to have fun exploiting the game each run) they added along with the extra gameplay elements they added to Reverse Rebirth. I still love the original CoM because of its sprites and 2D nature though.
This is a strange decision that affects a lot of PS2 games, The Xenosaga series was pretty bad about it too.
It really shows when the scenes get scaled up too in terms of video quality.

Falk

that puzzling face
I think everyone silently acknowledges that voice acting in Re:CoM was bad, having to lip synch to Japanese mouth flaps creates some awful-sounding dialogue. And all because they chose to present every voiced cutscene as fmv instead of real-time. This is a strange decision that affects a lot of PS2 games, The Xenosaga series was pretty bad about it too.

PS2 was where cutscenes with lip flaps actually became a thing. I'm guessing back then localization and VA sessions had to 'deal' the same way anime dubs were 'just deal'.

...Not that it's become significantly better for some franchises. Some of the best localizations/VA are still where presentation is obfuscated via VN-style dialogue boxes and busts.

Psxphile

PS2 was where cutscenes with lip flaps actually became a thing. I'm guessing back then localization and VA sessions had to 'deal' the same way anime dubs were 'just deal'.

...Not that it's become significantly better for some franchises. Some of the best localizations/VA are still where presentation is obfuscated via VN-style dialogue boxes and busts.

Not that you're wrong, but KH1 was one of the early PS2 pioneers to really "localize" mouth flaps. I mean, in the end there really wasn't all that much of it (which gave rise to fish-face) but what was there was impressive compared to other games. They were very expressive and accurate. I vaguely recall a behind-the-scenes look (article? one of Disney Channel's "sneak peeks"?) around the time it launched that brought this up. And naturally KH2 went even further and damn near eliminated that awkward texture face look during cutscenes.

I'm not aware if they did this for other language dubs besides Japanese and English, though.

Falk

that puzzling face
Oh yeah, I should have selectively quoted. KH is one of the outliers since the English version has a bit of a higher priority due to the Disney factor and the VA names involved. Was responding more to the "PS2 era" and Xenosaga sentence.

zeemumu

I like to interpret the fact that Nobodies grow new hearts to replace the old ones when they continue to feel as the belief that damage done to your heart can be slowly repaired over time as long as you don't allow it to dictate who you are.

Top Bottom