• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Malyse

I fully expect Sora to be the only playable character in KH3 and additional character episodes to be DLC.

Makes most sense to me at least. It's a good hook for fans.

There has been all of two games with a single playable character:
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts coded

Every other game in the series has had either multiple player characters or multiplayer

CoM - Sora Riku Multiplayer
2 - Sora Riku Mickey Roxas
Days - Xion, Roxas, Multiplayer
BBS - Terra, Aqua, Ventus
3D - Sora Riku
[chi] - Multiplayer
Unchained - Multiplayer

Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts coded

Every other game in the series has had either multiple player characters or multiplayer

3D - Sora Riku
[chi] - Multiplayer
Unchained - Multiplayer
Speaking of multiplayer how do you guys feel about it? Like the mirage arena makes a return.

Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts coded

3D - Sora Riku
[chi] - Multiplayer
Unchained - Multiplayer
And I'm saying some of the playable characters will be DLC just like with XV.

Even with 0.2 they have basically taken the Roxas prologue out and made it a separate product.

Willing to bet there'll be another playable character besides Sora, Even if it's for a brief tutorial or mid battle switch-up (akin to Mickey & Riku in II)

Not going to rule out DLC stuff, but I definitely see at least two characters in the base game.

Willing to bet there'll be another playable character besides Sora, Even if it's for a brief tutorial or mid battle switch-up (akin to Mickey & Riku in II)

Not going to rule out DLC stuff, but I definitely see at least two characters in the base game.
It's the last game of the Xehanort sage there absolutely in some form will be another playable character without dlc

We'll probably get to play as heartified Demyx. We'll get to hear his "Aawwhhooooo!" cry every single time he gets hit :D

Honestly, I think we may get to play as young Eraqus, if there are any sections that are similar to Roxas's story in KHII

We'll probably get to play as heartified Demyx. We'll get to hear his "Aawwhhooooo!" cry every single time he gets hit :D

Honestly, I think we may get to play as young Eraqus, if there are any sections that are similar to Roxas's story in KHII

I'm ok with this, sounds interesting. Maybe a duel againt young real xehanort in the time frame of that infamous chess game?

Malyse

And I'm saying some of the playable characters will be DLC just like with XV.

Even with 0.2 they have basically taken the Roxas prologue out and made it a separate product.
And I'm saying you're wrong.
Edit:
Believing light and darkness must remain in balance, Master Xehanort seeks to spark war against the 'tyranny of light' to restore equilibrium.

In an effort to undermine Xehanort's plot, Sora, Donald and Goofy search for seven guardians of light and the "Key to Return Hearts," while King Mickey and Riku search for previous Keyblade wielders.

That alone sounds like two player characters.

I fully expect Sora to be the only playable character in KH3 and additional character episodes to be DLC.

Makes most sense to me at least. It's a good hook for fans.

Given that Sora and most melee-focused characters in KH2 all follow similar frameworks (combos + combo finishers plus special moves), it'd be nice to see characters in KH3 built with similar standards in mind for the sake of a multiplayer mode or a Mirage Arena sort of thing where you can play as lots of different characters.

Given that Sora and most melee-focused characters in KH2 all follow similar frameworks (combos + combo finishers plus special moves), it'd be nice to see characters in KH3 built with similar standards in mind for the sake of a multiplayer mode or a Mirage Arena sort of thing where you can play as lots of different characters.

My dream has been basically aping RE4 Mercenaries and you go around a bit larger more complex arenas from the game to kill enemies within a time limit.

My dream has been basically aping RE4 Mercenaries and you go around a bit larger more complex arenas from the game to kill enemies within a time limit.

The idea of player-vs-player combat in the KH2 mold is sort of appealing too, except on a metagame level it'd probably just turn into people mashing counterattack/recovery buttons at each other in order to escape combos, heh.

also Reflect abuse

I suppose that's a lot better than anybody having inescapable trump-card moves, but it'd also make every character kinda play TOO similarly and reduce the importance of their differences, I fear.

At the end of the day, for multiplayer purposes I'd much prefer skilled dodging/blocking than a dedicated button that breaks you out of a combo - once you're in a combo it'd probably be best to punish you with the whole thing, or maybe make it so you need to consume MP/Drive/whatever resource in order to escape it so the game doesn't become an infinite loop of doing that.

I should mention that when I say I don't think there will be another playable character I'm not counting stuff like Mickey or Riku or friggin Chicken Little from 2. Technically they of course are ''playable characters'' but I mean more in a way of having their own playable episodes like Riku in CoM or Roxas in 2.

I can totally see something like controlling Terra for a few seconds for a special attack in the final boss fight. I'm not seeing us playing as Riku, Kairi or Lea for longer period of time in the base game.

Now this is all just tales from my ass but my reasoning why I think they will have DLC campaings for other playable is thus:

First of all there _will_ be DLC in some form, you can bet on that. When was the last time SE released a full priced new console game without DLC? Like, 2009 with FF13 or something (feel free to prove me wrong but you get the picture).

I don't think they will bank on costume, booster or equipment DLC. I do think they will bank in monster arena/bonus boss fight and/or playable DLC episodes focusing on other characters.

Like if I was in charge of coming up what kind of DLC the people would buy in droves I'd make a shorter playable episodes featuring the other keyblade wielders. That is something new and exciting while you can still reuse a ton of assets and charge much more than bite sized DLC that I feel ill suits a traditional KH game.

I should mention that when I say I don't think there will be another playable character I'm not counting stuff like Mickey or Riku or friggin Chicken Little from 2. Technically they of course are ''playable characters'' but I mean more in a way of having their own playable episodes like Riku in CoM or Roxas in 2.

I can totally see something like controlling Terra for a few seconds for a special attack in the final boss fight. I'm not seeing us playing as Riku, Kairi or Lea for longer period of time in the base game.

Now this is all just tales from my ass but my reasoning why I think they will have DLC campaings for other playable is thus:

First of all there _will_ be DLC in some form, you can bet on that. When was the last time SE released a full priced new console game without DLC? Like, 2009 with FF13 or something (feel free to prove me wrong but you get the picture).

I don't think they will bank on costume, booster or equipment DLC. I do think they will bank in monster arena/bonus boss fight and/or playable DLC episodes focusing on other characters.

Like if I was in charge of coming up what kind of DLC the people would buy in droves I'd make a shorter playable episodes featuring the other keyblade wielders. That is something new and exciting while you can still reuse a ton of assets and charge much more than bite sized DLC that I feel ill suits a traditional KH game.

Makes a lot of sense to me, though I also wouldn't be surprised to see equipment DLC as well.

Gawd, I hope equipment isn't boring in this game like it generally is in the rest of the series. I'd much prefer abandoning accessories/armor altogether like BBS/DDD did but also making Keyblades much more interesting like Re:Coded did.

Famassu

I don't think it's impossible for KHIII to have several playable characters. I don't expect it but neither do I completely reject the possibility. The fact that we have all these Keyblade wielders seemingly separated into smaller teams each with their own objectives combined with Nomura's whole "this game's story is massive, yo" could mean that we might actually follow these different teams doing their thing and that could mean we get to play all of those parts. So maybe Sora is trying to find a way to help Ven while Mickey & Riku are trying to save Aqua from the Realm of Darkness and we actually get to play all of that.

KH having more than one playable characters really isn't the same as FFXV. The characters basically play the same, whereas FFXV would have had to be Uncharted, Devil May Cry, Bushido Blade and God Hand at the same time if they were to make characters like Prompto, Gladio & Cor playable and have as much effort, quality & depth put into their combat gameplay as Noctis' combat has.

I don't think it's impossible for KHIII to have several playable characters. I don't expect it but neither do I completely reject the possibility. The fact that we have all these Keyblade wielders seemingly separated into smaller teams each with their own objectives combined with Nomura's whole "this game's story is massive, yo" could mean that we might actually follow these different teams doing their thing and that could mean we get to play all of those parts. So maybe Sora is trying to find a way to help Ven while Mickey & Riku are trying to save Aqua from the Realm of Darkness and we actually get to play all of that.

call me a horrible disney-hating weeb (I swear I'm not) but I'm hoping the endgame 'parties' are Sora/Riku/Kairi, Terra/Aqua/Ventus, and Mickey/Donald/Goofy. idk what'll happen to Lea but xion and roxas are getting painfully liquefied and pumped into ventus's veins to revive him and that's good

call me a horrible disney-hating weeb (I swear I'm not) but I'm hoping the endgame 'parties' are Sora/Riku/Kairi, Terra/Aqua/Ventus, and Mickey/Donald/Goofy. idk what'll happen to Lea but xion and roxas are getting painfully liquefied and pumped into ventus's veins to revive him and that's good

Lea and Isa face-off at the game's climax.

boom.gif

Lea and Isa face-off at the game's climax.

boom.gif

Just as Axel was doing a lot of double-agent shit back in Chain of Memories, I wonder if they'll end up revealing that Isa/Saix is still on his side or something. Wouldn't be a KH game without a dramatic face turn, right?

Just as Axel was doing a lot of double-agent shit back in Chain of Memories, I wonder if they'll end up revealing that Isa/Saix is still on his side or something. Wouldn't be a KH game without a dramatic face turn, right?

Hmmmm... I hope this only gets revealed after fighting Isa.

I'd love to beat the snot out of him with Axel's new keyblade and a fire-themed move set.

Okay, I think that'd be reasonable. Then they could just bundle the game together with the DLC and re-release it as KHIII: Final Mix. That being said, while I'm sure you'll be able to use it for the first hour of the game, I'd legit pay to use Sora' KHII costume through out the game as costume DLC.

I actually wonder what kind of LE they'll do for III (and 2.8, while I'm at it). They've been providing Limited Editions outside of Japan for every physical KH game since 3D, so it stands to reason that those two will have one, too.

Famassu

Nomura has said that KHIII's intro is something unexpected/surprising. A Kairi training tutorial would be anything but. He's also said we'll hit the ground running as far as KHIII's beginning goes. Training would be anything but hitting the ground running as well.

Psxphile

Nomura has said that KHIII's intro is something unexpected/surprising. A Kairi training tutorial would be anything but. He's also said we'll hit the ground running as far as KHIII's beginning goes. Training would be anything but hitting the ground running as well.

Did he say we'd be playing as Sora from the get-go? Because the Kairi/Axel thing can still apply without it being a slow, methodical tutorial.

Just saying.

Did he say we'd be playing as Sora from the get-go? Because the Kairi/Axel thing can still apply without it being a slow, methodical tutorial.

Just saying.
And then, to me, I've made a lot of RPGs so far, and I think rather than listening to long explanations at the start of the game, we want to enjoy the adventure right away, so I decided to try and keep the opening exposition part of [Kingdom Hearts 3] as short as possible.

Because of that, maybe people will be like, "why is Sora here?", feeling like [Kingdom Hearts 3] begins comparatively abruptly. Of course, if you keep playing, you'll work out the minimum about the situation.

I think it's safe to say the way this game starts is the Xehanort+Eraqus cutscene and after that we are thrown straight to action with Sora if Nomura isn't bullshitting us.

DKHF

Edit: disregard, kind of forgot part (about people wondering why Sora is here) of what Nomura said in the interview. And was beaten.

aravuus

Maybe it's unexpected because it's exactly like KH2's - couple of hours long and slow and full of mystery and it's unexpected cause everyone thought KH2's intro was shit.

I love the Roxas intro :(

I think the assorted hints they've given have made it reasonably clear that the game is going to start in medias res but then reveal itself to be in a dream sequence (so Sora can get his Mark of Mastery).

Malyse

I think the assorted hints they've given have made it reasonably clear that the game is going to start in medias res but then reveal itself to be in a dream sequence (so Sora can get his Mark of Mastery).

Olympus is his new MoM test. It was in one of the interviews.

Falk

that puzzling face
Going by precedent that's not actually Titan but it's actually Sora dreaming of fighting Titan while in a fabricated data world.

In the past.

Titan is also Sora

Going by precedent that's not actually Titan but it's actually Sora dreaming of fighting Titan while in a fabricated data world.

In the past.

Titan is also Sora

Is Titan's heart in Sora?

I bet Titan is one of the New Organization members.

Black Coat Titan 4eva

Psxphile

tumblr_obrk6lTDwJ1qdnjwao1_1280.png

source

bretty gud

Nomura then revealed that this is a story that takes place shortly before 0.2. He also said that this conversation between Lingering Will and Namine is a treat for concert-goers today, and it won't appear in the game.

So easy to get around this it's not even funny.

Famassu

Not even gonna ask how the fuck it's possible for those two characters to even have a conversation, but you know what? I ain't even mad.
It happens just before 0.2 which could be before KHII and its events, when both Lingering Will and Namine were still around.

Or they confront each other in some spiritual plane where their hearts are connected through Sora or something...

Top Bottom