• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Hi folks,
I've never played any of the KH games. I don't know... I've read so much about the convoluted story so I guess I never bothered. But now I kinda wanna get into the series after seeing the following here and online.

In any case there are so many games so which games are "essential" for the story?

Hi folks,
I've never played any of the KH games. I don't know... I've read so much about the convoluted story so I guess I never bothered. But now I kinda wanna get into the series after seeing the following here and online.

In any case there are so many games so which games are "essential" for the story?

Only recoded and 358/2 are not essential.

358/2 maybe a essential watch on you tube or HD 1.5.

Hi folks,

I recommend this as a ''safe'' route for a newcomer:

Wait for the HD collection that releases in september. It includes the best version of KH1 available and that certainly is essential play.

Next up try Re:Chain of Memories that is included in the collection. It is more of a sidestory with rehashed Disney worlds being the biggest offender. It also has unique battle system based on cards and deck building that you might either hate or love. Bottom line you definately should try if you like it but if it doesn't click with you then you can either just watch the few essential non-Disney cutscenes from youtube or read a short explanation what happens so you aren't totally lost at the beginning of KH2. Skipping this is not a catastrophe but it is the best sidestory of the series in my opinion.

After that is the last entry included in the HD collection: cutscenes from the DS sidestory 358/2 Days. Now this is less essential to the overall story than Chain of Memories so it can be skipped. The question is if you can stand the 3 hour ''movie'' that is included. There is no gameplay. Start watching it after the Chain of Memories step. If you are invested, good for you. If you feel like shooting yourself just skip it, nothing of big value was lost and you are still good to go with the plot.

Then comes the next real essential after KH1 and that is of course KH2 from both story and gameplay perspective. If you are still into the series after the collection you can either get it for PS2 or wait for the second HD collection that will most definately release next year.

After KH2 comes the next essential right away: Birth By Sleep for the PSP. Don't let the platform fool you, the game is excellent and very essential for the overall plot. If you don't care for PSP worry not, the game will most likely be included in the second HD collection releasing next year.

Then comes the most useless entry in the series: Re:Coded. This can absolutely be skipped, you won't miss a damn thing.

And lastly if you are still alive after all that is the latest entry in the series: Dream Drop Distance for the 3DS. It is an essential. We don't really know if it will be included in any form in the second HD collection but you should get yourself up to speed with the first collection anyway before worrying about the rest of the stuff.

If you are a real sceptical cheap bastard you could start the whole thing by not waiting for the HD collection and instead just getting the first Kingdom Hearts for PS2 dirt cheap and see if there is any pull for you in the series.

Tsunamo

It's be pretty amazing if they can get those special shaders to mimic the Paperman look:

Not expecting a world based on a short, but something to spruce up the usual 2D adaptations.
Yeah, that would be great. Even since I've seen that short I couldn't help but be reminded of Tarzans animation/visuals/character design but with a 3D look to it.
These drop rates are bs. Honestly, if it wasn't for the trophy I wouldn't be grinding for items to get the Ultima Weapon. It's not even that great anyway :mad:
It's one of the most tedious tasks I've ever done in a Kingdom Hearts game, the trophy whore in me feels it was worth it for that platinum in the end though.
Someone told me a KH HD collection for PS4 might be on the way (includes 1, 2, BbS), dunno but I hope it's true... And we're due for a KH next year anyway.
Now that Kingdom Hearts III has been announced for PS4 (something that I never thought would happen so early) I can totally see 2.5 HD or some sort of HD Collection being a possiblity for PS4.
Announcing KH3 for Xbone kinda paves the way for that, doesn't it?

Here's how they'll do it:

Step 1: Release 1.5 and 2.5 as planned for PS3.
Step 2: After localized 2.5 comes out, announce Kingdom Hearts: The Legacy Collection for PS4/Xbone. Both ReMixes in one collection.
Step 3: ????
Step 4: Profit!
I'd buy them again on PS4 like the sucker I am.
Hi folks,

The ones that I'd say are absolutely essential to the story now are probably Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts 2, Birth By Sleep and Dream Drop Distance. The others aren't really nessacary (imo), but Re:/Chain of Memorys and 358/2 Days certainly do help you understand what happened between the gap inbetween Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. Re:coded is a neat game, but it can prettymuch be skipped, it doesn't have too much revelance story wise.

What Frank suggested is probably the best option for trying to get into the series. The HD Collections seem to be putting the story together in a easy way that people can understand by playing the two of them. (and Dream Drop Distance after if that's not included)

botty

Banned
Days being "essential" is arguable. I mean... there is a huge ellipsis during Sora's sleeping period, which Days fills in. Days gives the series a new, compelling perspective. And that's pretty essential in my opinion.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Congrats Seda on becoming a mod. :D

Groof

Put a pre order down for 1.5 last night before going to bed. I don't know what to feel about waiting 3 more months.

TheMink

Wow hey! Congrats seda!

Now we have a mod in the KH forums :p

Edit:

I remember not long ago how sad you were you never got a tag....

and you STILL have a nondescript tag!

Hohohohohohohohohoooo

dont ban me ;_;

Seda

Wow hey! Congrats seda!

Now we have a mod in the KH forums :p

Edit:

I remember not long ago how sad you were you never got a tag....

and you STILL have a nondescript tag!

Hohohohohohohohohoooo

dont ban me ;_;

I can set it but I don't know what to set it to :/

RPGCrazied

Yay, congrats Seda. :)

Anywhos. Anyone else bummed that Kingdom Hearts 3 isn't releasing on PS3? I hope they change their minds at some point.

Groof

Yay, congrats Seda. :)

Anywhos. Anyone else bummed that Kingdom Hearts 3 isn't releasing on PS3? I hope they change their minds at some point.

It was either move it to PS4 or release it on PS3 4 years down the line when PS3 is basically obsolete.

RPGCrazied

It was either move it to PS4 or release it on PS3 4 years down the line when PS3 is basically obsolete.

Yeah, but, smaller companies are offering current gen and next gen versions of their games. MGS V and Watch Dogs. I'm sure there is a few more, but the fact is they could do it if they wanted to. Why not try and maximize sells?

Groof

Yeah, but, smaller companies are offering current gen and next gen versions of their games. MGS V and Watch Dogs. I'm sure there is a few more, but the fact is they could do it if they wanted to. Why not try and maximize sells?

The reason for the cross-gen games is because those games are basically getting released during the shift of current to next gen consoles. At launch and +/-6 months in to the new console's lives, not everyone can or will have upgraded, so the current to next gen ratio will favour current. Therefore cross-gen titles. 4 years from now that won't be a problem.

Tsunamo

Congrats again Seda!
Couldn't have picked a more better choice for a mod myself :)
I don't mind it too much. By the time Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out I'm sure a bunch of PS3 users will have made the jump to PS4 anyway.

Prologue

I have both a ps3 and a 360 but I wonder why these collections aren't coming out on xbox if kh3 is going to. How can KH3 be the only kingdom hearts title on a Microsoft console? Unless a complete collection will be offered on the xbox one.

Seda it's time for a change for the superior rabbit.

61blEbm.gif

Goes with the color.

Nohar

Finally got my hands on Birth By Sleep. Well, by now I've spoiled myself every single aspect of its story, so all that was left was the gameplay. And gosh, it doesn't disappoint! No doubt about it, this game has the best gameplay features of the series.

Dream Drop Distance may have Flowmotion, but that's its sole advantage over BBS, and even that is debatable. In that regard, 3D is actually a huge letdown, especially when it comes to Riku's Link Style compared to the Command Styles of BBS: Riku's are way less fluid (such as his Blade Charge, which is incredibly slow compared to Aqua's) and some of his Link Styles are very disappointing (Wavesurfer is awfully inaccurate, and completly useless against flying enemies, and I wasn't a fan of Fire Raid either). And, well, 3D doesn't sport Finish Commands.

It's actually sad, because it's hard to unlock everything (Commands and Finish Commands) in BBS, unless you farm a lot for them. And even then, there's no point in farming those, since the enemies in the Keyblade Graveyard aren't that powerful, not even in Critical mode (unless you're doing a no exp run). There aren't a lot of things to do when you finish a route. Yes, there are 2 special bosses (more in the Final Mix), but that's it. They grant you cool keyblades, but it's really just bragging rights rewards: they are utterly useless, since there aren't new foes to fight against. On that matter, there aren't a lot of different enemies, compared to KH2 and 3D. And, well, though I like the different point of views approach, it gets a little tedious after a while (but, well, I've spoiled myself way before playing the game, so it's kinda normal that I'm unable to appreciate the experience).

Also, as usual, Disney worlds are fillers... Though, it depends of the character. And I really, really, really don't want to come back to Disney Town in KH3. There is nothing I like in this world (though, it's still better than Atlantica in KH2...). Honestly, KH needs to grow up. It's a little jarring to have such a complex (well, maybe unecessarily complex) story with likable characters, only for it to be drown under Disney worlds and grating speeches about friendship.

botty

Banned
Finally got my hands on Birth By Sleep. Well, by now I've spoiled myself every single aspect of its story, so all that was left was the gameplay. And gosh, it doesn't disappoint! No doubt about it, this game has the best gameplay features of the series.

Dream Drop Distance may have Flowmotion, but that's its sole advantage over BBS, and even that is debatable. In that regard, 3D is actually a huge letdown, especially when it comes to Riku's Link Style compared to the Command Styles of BBS: Riku's are way less fluid (such as his Blade Charge, which is incredibly slow compared to Aqua's) and some of his Link Styles are very disappointing (Wavesurfer is awfully inaccurate, and completly useless against flying enemies, and I wasn't a fan of Fire Raid either). And, well, 3D doesn't sport Finish Commands.

True, but I think it's mostly cause Birth By Sleep had a longer development and is far more polished. And I am referring to gameplay, not the story. That story is far from polished.

It's actually sad, because it's hard to unlock everything (Commands and Finish Commands) in BBS, unless you farm a lot for them. And even then, there's no point in farming those, since the enemies in the Keyblade Graveyard aren't that powerful, not even in Critical mode (unless you're doing a no exp run). There aren't a lot of things to do when you finish a route. Yes, there are 2 special bosses (more in the Final Mix), but that's it. They grant you cool keyblades, but it's really just bragging rights rewards: they are utterly useless, since there aren't new foes to fight against. On that matter, there aren't a lot of different enemies, compared to KH2 and 3D. And, well, though I like the different point of views approach, it gets a little tedious after a while (but, well, I've spoiled myself way before playing the game, so it's kinda normal that I'm unable to appreciate the experience).

Also, as usual, Disney worlds are fillers... Though, it depends of the character. And I really, really, really don't want to come back to Disney Town in KH3. There is nothing I like in this world (though, it's still better than Atlantica in KH2...). Honestly, KH needs to grow up. It's a little jarring to have such a complex (well, maybe unecessarily complex) story with likable characters, only for it to be drown under Disney worlds and grating speeches about friendship.

I wouldn't call the worlds filler, but Birth By Sleep's story is just a reductive version of KH1's story, split three ways. Shame you have to view it through the insufferable Terra and the dull Ven. Aqua's side of the story is good at least, which is probably why her story is the longest.

I'm finally making progress again! Thank you Lord Nomura-sama for making the Ultima Weapon not require hard to get items.
After I got it I decided to try each boss battle at least once to see if I'd need grinding first, but they went down rather easily. Combo Master is a godsend against noving enemies.

I now have Zantetsuken and Gravity Break, my two favorite finishers in the game :D

New trophies:
Make 30 different items.
Make all the 33 items.
Defeat Phantom.
Defeat Kurt Zisa.

botty

Banned
4999KHIII_Online.jpg

Looking really good

Not a magazine scan!

Hmm...........

Looks good, and it seems this new style looks to be merging the normal in-game designs with the CG cutscene designs. But that has me a bit worried about Riku, though. His older in-game design and CG design are so different compared to the other characters.

In-Game is a bit more masculine, due to a harder look:

JruT7MK.png

CG design is far more feminine (even without the hair), and a lot softer:

ZJ7E5l4.png

The fangirls went batshit insane when Nomura cut his hair, so I wonder what the reactions will be to another new Riku look.

TheMink

Hmm...........

Looks good, and it seems this new style looks to be merging the normal in-game designs with the CG cutscene designs. But that has me a bit worried about Riku, though. His older in-game design and CG design are so different compared to the other characters.

In-Game is a bit more masculine, due to a harder look:

JruT7MK.png

CG design is far more feminine (even without the hair), and a lot softer:

ZJ7E5l4.png

The fangirls went batshit insane when Nomura cut his hair, so I wonder what the reactions will be to another new Riku look.

Nah, look at CG sora, looks different from KHIII sora, KHIII sora looks better.

Tsunamo

After I got it I decided to try each boss battle at least once to see if I'd need grinding first, but they went down rather easily. Combo Master is a godsend against noving enemies.
Final Mix (and 1.5 with combomaster) is a godsend for the games difficulty/bosses after playing the original at 50hz, the battles aren't dragged out for so long and you can string combos properly on bosses like Kurt Zisa when he's stunned.
Looking really good

Not a magazine scan!
Seeing Donald and Goofy has me even more hyped for how those worlds are gonna look with the Kingdom Shader, it's gonna look beautiful.
Yeah, CG sora looks weird but KHIII Sora looks good
Yeah. The CG Kingdom Hearts look was always neat to me, but for a whole game I never thought it would fit in/work. Luckily Kingdom Hearts III Sora/Donald/Goofy look much more like a perfect fit for Kingdom Hearts cartoony style while still keeping a more realistic look, it seems like a natural evolution for the series visuals.

Groof

They deserve every bad thing in life and I hope they eat shit and die. They're the ones that ruin franchises like these.

Top Bottom