• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

injurai

Banned
4999KHIII_Online.jpg

Looking really good

Not a magazine scan!

l9fdLQf.jpg

Tsunamo

I have both a ps3 and a 360 but I wonder why these collections aren't coming out on xbox if kh3 is going to. How can KH3 be the only kingdom hearts title on a Microsoft console? Unless a complete collection will be offered on the xbox one.
I've been wondering this myself, it seems a bit odd to release the 3rd installment of a series that has never been on Xbox consoles before without having the HD Collections that recap the games leading up to it on 360/Xbox One.

Then again, it's not the first time there's been a 3rd installment of a game with no other games from the series being on the platform before, so I suppose I shouldn't be suprised.
There might be a difference but they're both equally bad.
:lol

I'm sorry YoungBlade
I wish Disney and Nomura had the balls to do a Dolan cameo.
It would be funny to see a Kingdom Hearts game reference it, even if it was just a minor easter egg.

surely you guys meant being a Ven fanboy was bad.

They're the same person. Roxas is just a more depressive Ventus with amnesia and given a different name by Xemnas.

I'm thinking that eventually, when Ventus wakes up with his heart fully healed, he'll have both his own memories and the memories of the time when he was called Roxas, and that will be that. His name will still be Ventus.

They're the same person. Roxas is just a more depressive Ventus with amnesia and given a different name by Xemnas.

I'm thinking that eventually, when Ventus wakes up with his heart fully healed, he'll have both his own memories and the memories of the time when he was called Roxas, and that will be that. His name will still be Ventus.
You poor, simple fool. Now you have awakened the wrath of Atmej!

You poor, simple fool. Now you have awakened the wrath of Atmej!

It's the resolution to Ventus (asleep) and Roxas (in Sora's body) that makes the most sense.

It'd resolve the issue of two identical-looking characters being too confusing (Nomura *hates* it when KH is confusing).

We're also only gonna get 7 light-side keyblade wielders in KH3; that's gonna be Sora, Riku, Kairi, Mickey, Axel, Aqua, and eventually Ventus (with his memories from his time as Roxas).

Terra won't come back until the end of KH3. Xion, if she ever comes back, will go hang out with Namine in the House of Forgotten Characters.

It's the resolution to Ventus (asleep) and Roxas (in Sora's body) that makes the most sense.

It'd resolve the issue of two identical-looking characters being too confusing (Nomura *hates* it when KH is confusing).

We're also only gonna get 7 light-side keyblade wielders in KH3; that's gonna be Sora, Riku, Kairi, Mickey, Axel, Aqua, and eventually Ventus (with his memories from his time as Roxas).

Terra won't come back until the end of KH3. Xion, if she ever comes back, will go hang out with Namine in the House of Forgotten Characters.

I agree completely.

I need PS4 version of 2.5 with this good IQ (only with fixed widescreen sprites ect) and my life would be complete.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see some PS4-gen "HD" compilations that are, for example, Uncharted 123 *or* a compilation of KH 1.5 and 2.5.

Likewise, kinda suspect that we'll get Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2, and Lightning Returns running at better performance in a compilation on the PS4. Also, if we ever get FFXII and some other game (FFT most likely) HD on PS3, we'd probably get a pack of FFX/X-2/XII/FFT.

Nohar

One question remains though: what about Vanitas? We can assume he's still a part of Ventus. His brief appearance in 3D makes me wonder if he will appear once again and interfere when Ven and his heart will be reunited. And, well, we have to wonder if the Anti Black Coat Riku faced in 3D isn't Vanitas. Nomura mentionned that prior to Ventu's connection with Sora's heart, Vanitas's appearance looked like an heartless with red eyes, which is exactly what the Anti Black Coat looked like.

One thing is sure: we are not done yet with him. He will come back. He was an awesome (if difficult) boss to face in BBS. I love his voice too (Haley Joel Osment really did a good job).

One question remains though: what about Vanitas? We can assume he's still a part of Ventus. His brief appearance in 3D makes me wonder if he will appear once again and interfere when Ven and his heart will be reunited. And, well, we have to wonder if the Anti Black Coat Riku faced in 3D isn't Vanitas. Nomura mentionned that prior to Ventu's connection with Sora's heart, Vanitas's appearance looked like an heartless with red eyes, which is exactly what the Anti Black Coat looked like.

One thing is sure: we are not done yet with him. He will come back. He was an awesome (if difficult) boss to face in BBS. I love his voice too (Haley Joel Osment really did a good job).
I'm thinking there will be a Vanitas boss battle when they try to wake up Ventus or some shit but he will not come back as a ''character''.

I mean you just know Nomura will use any excuse to have Sora vs Vanitas boss battle.

I actually wouldn't be terribly surprised if KH3 sets up Vanitas as the next big villain once Xehanort is out of the way.

But yeah, the other major possibility is that he'll be a member of the Organization and it'll be necessary for him to be defeated in order for Ventus to be fully fixed.

I actually wouldn't be terribly surprised if KH3 sets up Vanitas as the next big villain once Xehanort is out of the way.

I hope not. I don't really want Vanitas to be a main villain, I think he works better as being in the sidelines and either you kill him after a brief cameo on KH3 or you just let him become a part of Ventus character. I want a new original villain (and fuckin original characters for both sides for that matter who are not either Sora or Xehanort or Kairi or fuckin anybody. They completely wasted Hayner, Pence and Olette and nobody cares about them now. Even I don't really want them back and I am the biggest whiner about the ''everyone is connected'' shit at this point.

I do wonder if they will set up a new villain in KH3 in any way. I don't know if I want them to or just introduce him/her/it in KH4.

Honestly if any of the already introduced characters is the next main villain I'd put my money on Braig/Xigbar but I think he dies in KH3, same for Isa and I don't think Isa is really a main villain material. Actually Isa might survive and he would have a bro moment with Lea, who knows.

I hope not. I don't really want Vanitas to be a main villain, I think he works better as being in the sidelines and either you kill him after a brief cameo on KH3 or you just let him become a part of Ventus character. I want a new original villain (and fuckin original characters for both sides for that matter who are not either Sora or Xehanort or Kairi or fuckin anybody. They completely wasted Hayner, Pence and Olette and nobody cares about them now. Even I don't really want them back and I am the biggest whiner about the ''everyone is connected'' shit at this point.

I do wonder if they will set up a new villain in KH3 in any way. I don't know if I want them to or just introduce him/her/it in KH4.

Honestly if any of the already introduced characters is the next main villain I'd put my money on Braig/Xigbar but I think he dies in KH3, same for Isa and I don't think Isa is really a main villain material. Actually Isa might survive and he would have a bro moment with Lea, who knows.

Maybe Marluxia will come back (or his Somebody will). Besides Vanitas, he's the only non-Disney, non-Xehanort major villain in the series.

Maybe Marluxia will come back (or his Somebody will). Besides Vanitas, he's the only non-Disney, non-Xehanort major villain in the series.

That would be lame tho since he already was a main villain. I'd imagine after 40000 Xehanorts people would want something completely new (I hope you guys do!).

I like Marluxia but I don't think he has much ''returning villain material''. Vanitas is better if we HAD to have either.

That would be lame tho since he already was a main villain. I'd imagine after 40000 Xehanorts people would want something completely new (I hope you guys do!).

I like Marluxia but I don't think he has much ''returning villain material''. Vanitas is better if we HAD to have either.

I'm fairly certain that the next major villain isn't going to just come out of nowhere. They'll either be an established character or they'll introduce all kinds of terrible retcons. I'd rather go with an established character.

Nohar

I'm thinking there will be a Vanitas boss battle when they try to wake up Ventus or some shit but he will not come back as a ''character''.

I mean you just know Nomura will use any excuse to have Sora vs Vanitas boss battle.

I agree. Probably a battle at Sora's (or Ven's?) station against him.

I'm a little sad they dropped BBS2. I would have love to explore the dark world with Aqua (though, it's probably better that we avoided yet another spin-off/side-story). I hope we will have the occasion to go save her in KH3, with Riku and Mickey as the rescue team. After all, they are the only ones able to resist darkness: Riku at this point became more or less immune, and Nomura mentionned that Mickey is protected by his Kingdom Key D.

Oh well. My money on Ienzo becoming the new KH villain. Seriously, everything about him is shrouded in mystery: he's conveniently an orphan, he actually wanted to do heartless experiments (something which is rather disturbing, especially coming from such a young character), he's the one who convinced Ansem the Wise to build his laboratory (though, for all we know, he may have been manipulated by Braig and Xehanort to that purpose), and his nobody, Zexion, was very cunning and manipulative. That can't be good. Even Vexen (Even) disturbs me less than him: at least Even is pretty much straightforward in his evil genius/mad scientist persona.

I'm a little sad they dropped BBS2. I would have love to explore the dark world with Aqua (though, it's probably better that we avoided yet another spin-off/side-story). I hope we will have the occasion to go save her in KH3, with Riku and Mickey as the rescue team. After all, they are the only ones able to resist darkness: Riku at this point became more or less immune, and Nomura mentionned that Mickey is protected by his Kingdom Key D.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see BBS2 happen eventually, after KH3. It'd likely be further pre-KH1 retconning to help set up whatever comes after KH3, of course.

Serious question, do people think BBS is overrated?

For a handheld title? No, I am still amazed how close to a real KH experience it is and how great it looks and plays and whatnot.

As the best game in the series? Yes, I don't think BBS can touch KH1 as the best overall package.

But overall I don't think BBS is overrated at all. In fact I shake my head with the amount of people disregarding it just because it is a handheld game.

Groof

Nah man. BBS delivered on the promises and then some. Not only did it play well as a handheld game but it felt true to the KH experience. The plot was alright, albeit one single character could've just as well not have existed at all, but it hit the right spots I think.
Also it brought Aqua.
Mmmm.

Nah man. BBS delivered on the promises and then some. Not only did it play well as a handheld game but it felt true to the KH experience. The plot was alright, albeit one single character could've just as well not have existed at all, but it hit the right spots I think.
Also it brought Aqua.
Mmmm.
I'm sure we all agree that Terra was worthless.

you mean terra right

If there's any game in the series I'd say is overrated, it's (vanilla) KHII. But I guess flashy press triangle to win QTEs, brain-dead gameplay, and an emphasis on flash over substance easily impresses people, I guess.

It's absolutely underrated (all for being a handheld title). And it's absolutely amazing.

I agree with Napalm_Frank that KH1 is about as good, though. BBS's combat and advancement systems are superior, and its story is likely better, but KH1's world design is miles better (it does a lot to reward backtracking when you get new movement and Trinity abilities, there's more engaging interaction with the levels, the Coliseum is better than the Mirage Arena, and it has the inimitable Hollow Bastion dungeon), and that does a lot to help it in my book. Also, KH1 probably has better enemies.

BBS combat and ability progression with KH1's worlds and enemies would be so fucking awesome omg.

If there's any game in the series I'd say is overrated, it's (vanilla) KHII. But I guess flashy press triangle to win QTEs, brain-dead gameplay, and an emphasis on flash over substance easily impresses people, I guess.

Agreed. It might not look like it reading sites like GAF but Vanilla KH2 is basically regarded as the best game in the series by the western fanbase for what I have inspected. I think it isn't nearly as bad as some say, I love vanilla KH2 but it has such glaring flaws that it falls behind BBS and KH1.

I'd still put KH2FM just ahead of BBS because how much content it has. It's almost like a true expansion pack of old.

Yeah, KH1 Hollow Bastion still takes the cake for best level design in the series.

It was pretty weird going from KH3D to 1.5, and then coming across Hollow Bastion. Puzzles? Multi-tiered structures? Exploration and experimentation (I had no idea the bubbles could be frozen with Blizzard and used as platforms until someone told me) actually being rewarded? Man, KH has changed.

Groof

KH1 is still unbeatable in my eyes. The camera was clunky as shit back when it was mapped to L2 and R2, but that seems fixed now. So incredibly hyped for 1.5 it aint even truuuuuuuuuuuuueee

I didn't like that BBS and 3D become a game of pushing triangle to cycle through your deck being awesome.

In KH1 and KH2 enemies had proper hitstun and counters, and you needed to be cautious to not get caught by surprise. In BBS/3D the enemies barely feel your attacks and suddenly break them. That is, when you're not teleporting everywhere. It is fun, but I'm glad they're going back to the roots in KH3. Or maybe I'm doing it wrong, I don't know. It just feels weird...

The thing that makes KH1 absolute gem over the others in my eyes is the pacing of the story. It's one of those games that IMO does it almost perfectly. The only thing I might change with it is allowing warping with the gummi ship from the start to locations you have already visited.

The story is basic (I'll argue it's still good) but the way it is told and the way the whole journey is done is just so fuckin good.

Yeah, KH1 Hollow Bastion still takes the cake for best level design in the series.

It was pretty weird going from KH3D to 1.5, and then coming across Hollow Bastion. Puzzles? Multi-tiered structures? Exploration and experimentation (I had no idea the bubbles could be frozen with Blizzard and used as platforms until someone told me) actually being rewarded? Man, KH has changed.

Hollow Bastion also has so much completely optional stuff you can chase down. It's much, much bigger than the areas you *have* to go through.

It's kind of a bummer that The World that Never Was and the Keyblade Graveyard haven't been nearly the same (and 358/2 Days doesn't even have anything resembling a final dungeon).

KH3 has a lot of "non-Disney" areas to address, though. I suspect we'll revisit Destiny Islands, and then there's Radiant Garden, [Castle Oblivion/Land of Departure], TWTNW, Traverse Town, Twilight Town, the Mysterious Tower, and fairly likely the Keyblade Graveyard again. Yeah, that's a lot.
The thing that makes KH1 absolute gem over the others in my eyes is the pacing of the story. It's one of those games that IMO does it almost perfectly. The only thing I might change with it is allowing warping with the gummi ship from the start to locations you have already visited.
Yeah, although BBS ain't bad in this regard (and actually, Re:CoM is fairly decent as well).

I didn't like that BBS and 3D become a game of pushing triangle to cycle through your deck being awesome.

In KH1 and KH2 enemies had proper hitstun and counters, and you needed to be cautious to not get caught by surprise. In BBS/3D the enemies barely feel your attacks and suddenly break them. That is, when you're not teleporting everywhere. It is fun, but I'm glad they're going back to the roots in KH3. Or maybe I'm doing it wrong, I don't know. It just feels weird...

Yeah, the lack of proper or consistent hitstun is my absolute biggest complaint with the Osaka games. It's a mild annoyance at best in Birth by Sleep, but it's damn near detrimental to the experience in 3D sometimes, especially on higher diificulties. In KH3D, it's compounded by the fact that Sora and Riku are incredibly susceptible to being stun locked by multiple attacks at once, so a simple melee combo from you can be immediately interrupted by an enemy attack without warning, and just like that, you're reduced to 1 hit point. I really hope hitstun becomes a thing again in KH3.

Oh one more thing I would change is that Agrabah should have been the final Disney world instead of Neverland but what can ya do.

Oh and by the way: I don't care what you think but I liked the character of Namine in CoM. That is BEFORE she became a fuckin nobody. I think she should have been an actual witch and a ''normal'' human instead of shoehorning another connection to already established character. I think Roxas is the only nobody we really ''needed'' to tell KH2 story.

I'm sorry but I can't stand how over the top the connections has became with the series. I guess that makes me just the more crazyer for stickin with the series.

Oh one more thing I would change is that Agrabah should have been the final Disney world instead of Neverland but what can ya do.

Oh and by the way: I don't care what you think but I liked the character of Namine in CoM. That is BEFORE she became a fuckin nobody. I think she should have been an actual witch and a ''normal'' human instead of shoehorning another connection to already established character. I think Roxas is the only nobody we really ''needed'' to tell KH2 story.

I'm sorry but I can't stand how over the top the connections has became with the series. I guess that makes me just the more crazyer for stickin with the series.

I'm kinda hoping that KH3 sorts at least some of that out (fixing Terra, restoring Roxas back to Ventus, and getting rid of Xehanort). That'd leave only Namine and Xion as characters who are too connected to someone else (that, and possibly Vanitas).

I do think Agrabah is a better world than Neverland, but think about it this way: it's an immensely necessary cleanser after everything leading up to it (Deep Jungle is probably the worst world in the game AND you don't get Cure until it's done AND you don't get the Warp Gummi until it's done). The game takes a massive leap in quality as soon as you hit Agrabah, and it's necessary at that point in the game to make the player feel better.

I'm kinda hoping that KH3 sorts at least some of that out (fixing Terra, restoring Roxas back to Ventus, and getting rid of Xehanort). That'd leave only Namine and Xion as characters who are too connected to someone else (that, and possibly Vanitas).
Oh my god if Nomura has the balls of resurrecting Roxas, Xion and Namine for real I will shoot myself. That would basically make Sora a fuckin god making life out of thin air. I'd rather not the ''rules'' of the KH universe get any more insane.

The ONLY way I would accept it (and still hate it) is if they were replicas with the data inplanted. Even that would be fuckin stupid and terrible but I'll take it over humans being born from nothing.

Xion is dead, Namine is ''dead'', Roxas is ''dead''. That is the way it should be. Roxas and Ventus fusing I can accept and it is the best solution to keep fangirls at bay without totally writing him out.

Also if they did that they would absolutely ruin the story of Roxas/Xion they told before. That is why I'm a lil scared that they are shown as people who need ''rescuing'' in a sense. THEY DON'T NEED SHIT! Only people who matter now are TAV.

I think the reason I like Vanitas so much is that the explanation for his existence is hilariously straightforward in a series where at least half of the major characters owe their existence to either Sora or Xehanort.

In fact, that goes for a lot of Birth by Sleep's plot revelations. A lot of the explanations ended up being far less stupider than I imagined.

Oh my god if Nomura has the balls of resurrecting Roxas, Xion and Namine for real I will shoot myself. That would basically make Sora a fuckin god making life out of thin air. I'd rather not the ''rules'' of the KH universe get any more insane.

The ONLY way I would accept it (and still hate it) is if they were replicas with the data inplanted. Even that would be fuckin stupid and terrible but I'll take it over humans being born from nothing.

Xion is dead, Namine is ''dead'', Roxas is ''dead''. That is the way it should be. Roxas and Ventus fusing I can accept and it is the best solution to keep fangirls at bay without totally writing him out.

Eh, I don't think anyone ever actually dies in the KH universe. Even Ansem the Wise just got blasted to the Realm of Darkness. I do think Sora will return the Roxas portion of his heart back to Ventus so he can wake back up, and Ventus will just have the memories of the time when Roxas existed. Namine isn't "dead" but there's no real plausible way for her to be anything but a part of Kairi, IMO (and she doesn't need rescuing in any sense).

But yeah, Xion might not ever reappear. Undoing her death/negation would also undermine the only thing that was good about the story in 358/2 Days.

Yeah, the lack of proper or consistent hitstun is my absolute biggest complaint with the Osaka games. It's a mild annoyance at best in Birth by Sleep, but it's damn near detrimental to the experience in 3D sometimes, especially on higher diificulties. In KH3D, it's compounded by the fact that Sora and Riku are incredibly susceptible to being stun locked by multiple attacks at once, so a simple melee combo from you can be immediately interrupted by an enemy attack without warning, and just like that, you're reduced to 1 hit point. I really hope hitstun becomes a thing again in KH3.
Yeah, I have no idea why most of the praise for BBS overlooks that.

Eh, I don't think anyone ever actually dies in the KH universe. Even Ansem the Wise just got blasted to the Realm of Darkness. I do think Sora will return the Roxas portion of his heart back to Ventus so he can wake back up, and Ventus will just have the memories of the time when Roxas existed. Namine isn't "dead" but there's no real plausible way for her to be anything but a part of Kairi, IMO.

But yeah, Xion might not ever reappear. Undoing her death/negation would also undermine the only thing that was good about the story in 358/2 Days.

Yeah but when I talk about ''dead'' I mean inside of Sora/Kairi/Ventus or whatever and staying there and not becoming a real person for whatever insane reason I am afraid Nomura might do.

As in if we have Sora, Ventus and Roxas as separate persons with bodies and all at the end of KH3 the story has jumped the shark. For the tenth time.

Yeah but when I talk about ''dead'' I mean inside of Sora/Kairi/Ventus or whatever and staying there and not becoming a real person for whatever insane reason I am afraid Nomura might do.

As in if we have Sora, Ventus and Roxas as separate persons with bodies and all at the end of KH3 the story has jumped the shark. For the tenth time.

Reminder: KH3 will feature Xehanort in THIRTEEN DIFFERENT BODIES.

Top Bottom