• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Nohar

On a side note: what about Eraqus? I believe his heart joined Terra's. Will he (can he?) be ressurected somehow?

Finally: what the heck is exactly the Guardian of Xehanort/Ansem? It didn't appear until Xehanort's takeover of Terra, though it doesn't seem to be exclusive to him, since Riku was able to channel it and use it against Roxas in Days (though he assumed Ansem the Heartless form in order to do so). It's a "pure" heartless, but whose heart was it born? I'm still wondering if it isn't Eraqus's heartless, but I guess this idea is a tad far-fetched (though, well, if he manifested from Eraqus's darkness and became a twisted version of himself as Terra's protector...).

As for Xion: I wouldn't mind her being "reborn", though I agree that there shouldn't be too many easy ressurections in the KH verse. Poor girl/puppet/thing had it rough. What is she at this point? Nobodies can grow a new heart, but what about someone as "special" as she is?

also

Banned
You poor, simple fool. Now you have awakened the wrath of Atmej!
You know it.

It's the resolution to Ventus (asleep) and Roxas (in Sora's body) that makes the most sense.

It'd resolve the issue of two identical-looking characters being too confusing (Nomura *hates* it when KH is confusing).

We're also only gonna get 7 light-side keyblade wielders in KH3; that's gonna be Sora, Riku, Kairi, Mickey, Axel, Aqua, and eventually Ventus (with his memories from his time as Roxas).

Terra won't come back until the end of KH3. Xion, if she ever comes back, will go hang out with Namine in the House of Forgotten Characters.

Ven and Roxas are shown as separate people in DDD's CG intro, which is all the evidence we need. Additionally, the games makes it pretty clear that, if anything, Sora = Roxas. Lastly, Ven and Roxas are supposed to look slightly different.
I don't know why this bothers you so much. We are talking about Kingdom Hearts here, having two similar looking characters would probably take last place on the ''confusing stuff in KH'' list. Anyway, if Nomura does indeed feel that things would be too confusing, he will just give them a different haircut.

So in short, Roxas =/= Ven. Commit it to memory!
If you think otherwise, please show some evidence and don't play the ''they look the same'' card. If we followed that logic, we would end up with Vanitas = Sora and Xion = Kairi. Also, saying that it makes most sense seriously undermines your argument :p

One question remains though: what about Vanitas? We can assume he's still a part of Ventus. His brief appearance in 3D makes me wonder if he will appear once again and interfere when Ven and his heart will be reunited. And, well, we have to wonder if the Anti Black Coat Riku faced in 3D isn't Vanitas. Nomura mentioned that prior to Ventu's connection with Sora's heart, Vanitas's appearance looked like an heartless with red eyes, which is exactly what the Anti Black Coat looked like.

One thing is sure: we are not done yet with him. He will come back. He was an awesome (if difficult) boss to face in BBS. I love his voice too (Haley Joel Osment really did a good job).
Before they added BCN, they thought about having the players fight a giant Meow Wow, so it's best no to think too hard about it.

Listen you bastards Ventus and Roxas are not the same person u.u

#TeamRoxas

That's right. Got it memorized?!

Oh my god if Nomura has the balls of resurrecting Roxas, Xion and Namine for real I will shoot myself. That would basically make Sora a fuckin god making life out of thin air. I'd rather not the ''rules'' of the KH universe get any more insane.

The ONLY way I would accept it (and still hate it) is if they were replicas with the data inplanted. Even that would be fuckin stupid and terrible but I'll take it over humans being born from nothing.

Xion is dead, Namine is ''dead'', Roxas is ''dead''. That is the way it should be. Roxas and Ventus fusing I can accept and it is the best solution to keep fangirls at bay without totally writing him out.

Also if they did that they would absolutely ruin the story of Roxas/Xion they told before. That is why I'm a lil scared that they are shown as people who need ''rescuing'' in a sense. THEY DON'T NEED SHIT! Only people who matter now are TAV.
DDD makes it clear that *ending spoilers*
Sora is god-like and that everyone will come back. They are all just ''sleeping'' in Sora's heart, waiting to be awakened. Just rewatch Diz's conversation with Riku.

As for Xion: I wouldn't mind her being "reborn", though I agree that there shouldn't be too many easy ressurections in the KH verse. Poor girl/puppet/thing had it rough. What is she at this point? Nobodies can grow a new heart, but what about someone as "special" as she is?

DDD spoilers
everything can grow a heart.

I just got to prepare myself for the fact that KH3 gameplay will probably be awesome but the core story will be terrible :X
*Leaked KH 3 Plot!!!11

"Sora are you sure you wanna go"

"Yes"

"But Sora i will miss u :c"

"idc shut the fuck up kairi"

"alright donald and goofy let's go"

"ahyuck"

"OOOH LOOK IS THAT THE OLYMPUS COLOSSEUM LET'S GO THERE FOR THE 100TH TIME GUISE"

"OOOH LOOK IS THAT ATLANTICA OMG I WANNA SING GUISE"

"OOOH IS THAT AGRABAH I WANNA GO THERE FOR THE 100TH TIME GUISE"

"OOOH LOOK IT'S XEHANORT"

"oh wait it's not xehanort"

*repeat 13 times

"look guise it's finally xehanort"

"Sora you will be lost to the darkness 4ever"

"No my frends r my pwer"

"WHAAT NOOOO THA LIGHHT UGHGHGHU"

"wow look at all those people coming out of me"

"look it's roxas,a girl nobody remembers, the person who IS NOT ROXAS, the useless asswipe, and the only actually skilled female lead in the whole series!!11"

the end

Nohar

Well, honestly, I wonder what to expect of KH3's story and gameplay.

Possible Dream Drop Distance spoilers (I'm not really sure of what is the spoiler policy on this thread, but well, I guess it's better to be on the safe side):

With so many antagonists, since Xehanort has 13 iterations of himself, including the awesome Braid, Saix, Ansem the Heartless and Xemnas, his influence on the Disney worlds should be more important, and I hope that he will definitly establish himself as a constant threat. Also, well, he pretty much made it clear he wanted to hijack Sora and make him his last vessel. Thus, Sora is actually more in danger than any of the other keyblade wielders.

I hope that Donald and Goofy will have a more important role to play. In KH1 they were fine, but their role has diminished more and more as the series went on (heck, Goofy himself lampshades this in 3D). I want them to be someting more than simple comic relief and canon fodder. Especially Donald, who I like a lot.

As for the gameplay... I know they want to make an experience close to the "main" titles, but after playing 3D and BBS (in that order), I can't help but to see coming back to the "old" gameplay as a regression. I guess I can still hope that they will keep parts of the Commands system. BBS was so complete.
It will be interesting to see if other characters will be playable, aside from Sora (I believe Nomura hinted that Mickey will be playable?). I would love to play each member of the trio + Mickey.

In any case... Please, no more sugary Disney worlds. I don't want to have to do useless and annoying mini-games, such as the ones of Winny the Pooh world and Disney town. Let's try to forget that Atlantica ever existed in KH2 too. And no more petting. It was infuriating to do this in 3D (and almost mandatory if you want to unlock abilities quicker. Horrible timesink).

botty

Banned
If Xion comes back I'll be sick. Nomura has already made Axel's sacrifice mean nothing. I don't think I can take another sacrifice losing it's significance.

also

Banned
If Xion comes back I'll be sick. Nomura has already made Axel's sacrifice mean nothing. I don't think I can take another sacrifice losing it's significance.
Now that she's gone I want her to come back, but if she does return it will completely change my perception of her. I just don't know... Damn you Nomura, find a way for this to work; bring her back but at the same time don't do it

Succubi Pie

Neo Member
Now that she's gone I want her to come back, but if she does return it will completely change my perception of her. I just don't know... Damn you Nomura, find a way for this to work; bring her back but at the same time don't do it

She can be the cute ghost girl in Sora's head. I mean, it looks like everyone just chills on the beach all day in Sora's heart anyway. And jeez there's a lot of people there. I'm surprised Vanitas wasn't in the background sipping on a paopu fruit smoothie.

Tsunamo

I actually wouldn't be terribly surprised if KH3 sets up Vanitas as the next big villain once Xehanort is out of the way.

But yeah, the other major possibility is that he'll be a member of the Organization and it'll be necessary for him to be defeated in order for Ventus to be fully fixed.
I hope not, I'd prefer the new saga to just start fresh with the main villain.

And yeah, I could totally see him somehow re-appearing as a member of the Organization to fill one of the roles of the 13.
Serious question, do people think BBS is overrated?
I certainly don't, for a portable title it was amazing. (imo)
If there's any game in the series I'd say is overrated, it's (vanilla) KHII. But I guess flashy press triangle to win QTEs, brain-dead gameplay, and an emphasis on flash over substance easily impresses people, I guess.
Agreed. I can totally understand Final Mix after all the changes made to it, but vanilla KHII was pretty awful, especially when you compare it to the original game and what it offered.
The thing that makes KH1 absolute gem over the others in my eyes is the pacing of the story. It's one of those games that IMO does it almost perfectly. The only thing I might change with it is allowing warping with the gummi ship from the start to locations you have already visited.

The story is basic (I'll argue it's still good) but the way it is told and the way the whole journey is done is just so fuckin good.
Yeah, the original will always be timeless for me. I can always go back to it and enjoy the journey through the game. (not to mention remind me of my childhood)
Xion is the most fucking useless piece of shit I've ever set my eyes upon. Seriously.
At least we got a nice theme out of her :p
On a side note: what about Eraqus? I believe his heart joined Terra's. Will he (can he?) be ressurected somehow?
I'd expect him to be referenced (especially with the whole where his heart went after the whole split debacle) but I think Eraqus will the one character in the series that wont have a happy ending.

Ven and Roxas are shown as separate people in DDD's CG intro, which is all the evidence we need. Additionally, the games makes it pretty clear that, if anything, Sora = Roxas. Lastly, Ven and Roxas are supposed to look slightly different.

It's quite clear that the heart Roxas has is actually that fragment of Ven's heart that was left in Sora. And the CG intros have always been vague and impressionistic and hardly something you can take as 'canon.'

Moreover, that segment of the DDD intro was pretty much "look! 358/2 Days! Birth By Sleep!" - it no more indicates that they're definitively different characters forever than it indicates that at some point Mickey's going to make a bunch of magical pages fly out of a book at the Keyblade Graveyard.

Yeah, the CG intros are just eye candy and nothing more. Remember to bits of Terra and Ven running through the halls of Castle Oblivion in BBS' intro, despite that scenario being kind of impossible?

Joqu

Eraqus won't appear in KH3, but he will return in KH4, except his name will be Xeni there because he's a nobody now, created after Terra tragically gave in to the darkness again at the end of KH3. Obviously he'll be the new villain of the next saga but with light instead of darkness because light will be the next bad thing then. You gotta change things up once in a while! And of course his true identity identity will only be revealed at the end of the game in a brilliant plot twist, but Sora will kill him either way because that's how he rolls. (Or so he thinks.)

This is all legit guys, my uncle works for Nintendo.

TriAceJP

So I've waited to play Birth by Sleep Final Mix until a decent emulator came out (this game required a monitor/controller, it just didn't feel right on a PSP to me) and that happened.

What a great title. I got the two bonus chapters done, and I got to say, this series really does it for me. It's a strange mix of corny and interesting and I am always interested to see where it will lead. The two secret videos were very bitter sweet. I want my Aqua back ;-;

I'm just now starting Dream Drop. I'm sure it's not going to be as relevant to the overall plot Like Birth by Sleep was, but it's something to play while I wait for 3.

This series is one of my favourites, I hope 3 ends up being fanatic.

botty

Banned
I think the only reason I even want Sora to wake up Ventus is just for the scene of him mistaking Ven for Roxas. After that I'll just wish he was still in his coma.

also

Banned
It's quite clear that the heart Roxas has is actually that fragment of Ven's heart that was left in Sora. And the CG intros have always been vague and impressionistic and hardly something you can take as 'canon.'

Moreover, that segment of the DDD intro was pretty much "look! 358/2 Days! Birth By Sleep!" - it no more indicates that they're definitively different characters forever than it indicates that at some point Mickey's going to make a bunch of magical pages fly out of a book at the Keyblade Graveyard.

Please explain to me how is it quite clear that Roxas has Ven's fragmented heart? The games never ever connect Roxas and Ven. All they talk about is how Roxas = Sora. Nomura also said that Ven's heart was sleeping the whole time (only in DDD does it show signs of starting to awaken), so Roxas couldn't have used Ven's heart to dual wield. Xion's end caused him to grow his own heart and thus he got his own keyblade.

*DDD spoilers ahead*
I'm talking about the ending of the intro where all (keyblade) warriors are shown standing together. And if CG is not goood enough, how about an in-game screenshot then? CLICK How about the whole final part of Sora's story where Roxas and Ven are shown in completely separate sections? How about the cutscene where Sora is the one to get Roxas's memories? And in the same cutscene Sora says: ''You deserve to be your own person as much as I do.'' How about Riku's conversation with Diz where the later refers to Xion, Roxas and Ven as ''3 young people''?
Re:Coded's ending also shows them as separate people. And if Roxas and Ven were the same person, why would they go through the trouble of slightly changing Ven's face?

Face it, the only connection between Ven and Roxas is the similar appearance. The only sensible thing to do would be to merge Sora and Roxas, seeing as how the latter was originally simply Sora's body and spirit, but that's highly unlikely to happen.

Roxas is Roxas and nobody else!

EDIT: BBS's secret ending also shows them as separate people.

Please explain to me how is it quite clear that Roxas has Ven's fragmented heart? The games never ever connect Roxas and Ven. All they talk about is how Roxas = Sora. Nomura also said that Ven's heart was sleeping the whole time (only in DDD does it show signs of starting to awaken), so Roxas couldn't have used Ven's heart to dual wield. Xion's end caused him to grow his own heart and thus he got his own keyblade.

*DDD spoilers ahead*
I'm talking about the ending of the intro where all (keyblade) warriors are shown standing together. And if CG is not goood enough, how about an in-game screenshot then? CLICK How about the whole final part of Sora's story where Roxas and Ven are shown in completely separate sections? How about the cutscene where Sora is the one to get Roxas's memories? And in the same cutscene Sora says: ''You deserve to be your own person as much as I do.'' How about Riku's conversation with Diz where the later refers to Xion, Roxas and Ven as ''3 young people''?
Re:Coded's ending also shows them as separate people. And if Roxas and Ven were the same person, why would they go through the trouble of slightly changing Ven's face?

Face it, the only connection between Ven and Roxas is the similar appearance. The only sensible thing to do would be to merge Sora and Roxas, seeing as how the latter was originally simply Sora's body and spirit, but that's highly unlikely to happen.

Roxas is Roxas and nobody else!

EDIT: BBS's secret ending also shows them as separate people.
tumblr_mezqiqT0Mj1qlg5tr.gif

BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL!
It's time accept the truth guys, Roxas and Ven are separate people.

BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL!
It's time accept the truth guys, Roxas and Ven are separate people.
Ok so if you are looking for a connection between them... elephant in the room:

ROXAS AND VEN LOOK IDENTICAL.

The heart inside of Roxas is Ven's. I'm not crazy you're crazy.

That being said, I like Roxas and hope he is a seperate person :p

[R O X A S]

Bravo, sir. Bravo.

I managed to squeeze an hour of KH1 today after I got home. Holy Ra, KH1 Sora is a beast! And now I have the superspecialawesome Diamon Dust keyblade! <3
Next up is the Hades Cup challenges.

New trophies obtained:
Win the Hades Cup
Defeat the Ice Titan

Groof

I could manage a Roxas/Ven combo becoming a character but if they're separate I'm fucking done with this series. We don't need two whiney retarded monkeys running around.

botty

Banned
I have to agree with Roxas having Ven's fragmented heart. Prior to the mess that is DDD's plot, it was a concrete fact that Nobodies did not have hearts, thus they couldn't show true emotions. Alas, Roxas cried in Days proving he had some form of a heart inside him, but whose was it? Enter Birth By Sleep, and we see that Vanitas (who came from Ven) took on Sora's appearance because of the Sora/Ven heart touching thingy...and this is supposed to be a parallel to Roxas (who comes from Sora) looking like Ven.

But of course this was all before DDD came in and started changing the rules, just so that Nomura could say he was moving the story forward. So I guess we'll have to just go with the flow.

I could manage a Roxas/Ven combo becoming a character but if they're separate I'm fucking done with this series. We don't need two whiney retarded monkeys running around.

Roxas is whiny? News to me.

Why do you hate Roxas so much groof D:

All he did was:
-Have a 3 hour segment in KH 2 (I mean most of it was fucking terrible but those 2 Axel fights were awesome)
-Sacrifice himself for Sora ;___:
-Get his own game
-Become friends with Axel
-Become friends with Xion only to freaking kill her
-Dual wield first because he is awesome
-Fight Riku
-Meet Namine

HE DID NOTHING TO DESERVE THE HAAATEEE

All he did was:
-Have a 3 hour segment in KH 2 (I mean most of it was fucking terrible but those 2 Axel fights were awesome)
-Get his own game
-Fight Riku
-Meet Namine

He showed disrespect for Sir Christopher Lee. A mortal sin.

Hey, I can't remember if this is a thing but since (I guess I'll spoiler this....)
Ventus is sleeping in Castle Oblivion and that is where Namine woke up, is there any chance that Twilight Town has some greater significance since that is where Roxas woke up?

I imported 1.5 ReMIX and started playing it today; I've made it to Wonderland so far on KH1.

The remastered/rerecorded soundtrack sounds damn good.

botty

Banned
Hey, I can't remember if this is a thing but since (I guess I'll spoiler this....)
Ventus is sleeping in Castle Oblivion and that is where Namine woke up, is there any chance that Twilight Town has some greater significance since that is where Roxas woke up?

Aren't they both places in the in-between? And both Namine and Roxas are special nobodies. /shrug

Tsunamo

I do think Roxas will get to be his own person, there's been way too many hints of it with specific scenes for me not to think Nomura's heading that route.
I just got to prepare myself for the fact that KH3 gameplay will probably be awesome but the core story will be terrible :X
I know I'm going to be super disappointed with KH3's story

but

I can't help but be so fucking excited for it it hurts :((
After DDD I have no confidence in the story, I've given up on it. I do at least hope there's some fanservice in the form of returning characters though, give me that and I'll be happy Nomura.

Riku and Mickey rescuing Aqua from the darkrealm scenerio please
This is all legit guys, my uncle works for Nintendo.
What a coincidence! I have a friend who has a uncle that works for Nintendo too.

He told me that his uncle was working closely with Nomura and the Osaka team (as a representive for Nintendo America) to make sure DDD turned out to be a quality product and revealed to me that there would a be a secretboss before release because he was so generous to leak information about the game out for me.
So I've waited to play Birth by Sleep Final Mix until a decent emulator came out (this game required a monitor/controller, it just didn't feel right on a PSP to me) and that happened.

What a great title. I got the two bonus chapters done, and I got to say, this series really does it for me. It's a strange mix of corny and interesting and I am always interested to see where it will lead. The two secret videos were very bitter sweet. I want my Aqua back ;-;

I'm just now starting Dream Drop. I'm sure it's not going to be as relevant to the overall plot Like Birth by Sleep was, but it's something to play while I wait for 3.

This series is one of my favourites, I hope 3 ends up being fanatic.
The mix of corny/cheesyness and interesting is what keeps me enjoying it and it's part of the reason why I've enjoyed following the series for so long.

Yeah, DDD's not as good as Birth By Sleep, but it's still enjoyable filler though.
Be warned though, nothing can prepare you for the final world and the giant clusterfuck that happens.
He showed disrespect for Sir Christopher Lee. A mortal sin.
So that's why he didn't return after Kingdom Hearts 2.
Damn it Roxas!

Groof

All he did was:
-Get his own game
-Fight Riku
-Meet Namine

Because he's sad all the fucking time and is always out of commission or generally useless to everyone. Also his outfit is totally ridiculous. There, I said it. :mad:

Groof

You would be too if you didn't have anyone to eat ice cream with.
Ice cream is the only companion needed when eating ice cream.
In comparison to... What? It's pretty tame by KH standards. Besides, he wears an Org cloak for most of his life anyway.

Groofy pls

I know 99% of the KH cast's outfits are absolute ridiculousness but his normal outfit just screams Green Day reject. Should've stayed in that cloak bruh

I dunno what they were fuckin doing with Roxas outfit in the vanilla KH2. Shit had low res textures for no reason. Also the wisdom form had that pattern error. DDD gets much hate for being rushed but I bet KH2 was just as rushed also. At least they fixed that shit in FM.

I never really noticed but in addition of having a belt in his hat (...and a zipper) Donald has a belt in his default weapon. God damnit Nomura!

I think KH Donald design is great, I don't know how he made that mess work!

Tsunamo

Roxas KH2 design doesn't really surprise me given it's a Nomura design.
I dunno what they were fuckin doing with Roxas outfit in the vanilla KH2. Shit had low res textures for no reason. Also the wisdom form had that pattern error. DDD gets much hate for being rushed but I bet KH2 was just as rushed also. At least they fixed that shit in FM.
Yeah, there were some really weird low res texture issues in Kingdom Hearts 2 that I'm surprised weren't fixed before the game went gold. It obviously was a issue considering they later touched them up/fixed them in Final Mix.

While I have been quite happy with Osaka teams work I do hope they have conversations and stuff with the old KH team and change notes to make both XV and KH3 the very best they can. Indeed as some have said while BBS is widely considered top tier when it comes to combat there are elements in the old games that it should borrow. Who knows if they even know too much what the core combat mechanics will be right now. According to Nomura the demo they have running is chaotic and flashy with tons of air combat or something.

While I have been quite happy with Osaka teams work I do hope they have conversations and stuff with the old KH team and change notes to make both XV and KH3 the very best they can. Indeed as some have said while BBS is widely considered top tier when it comes to combat there are elements in the old games that it should borrow. Who knows if they even know too much what the core combat mechanics will be right now. According to Nomura the demo they have running is chaotic and flashy with tons of air combat or something.

BBS's combat, but with the addition of more varied combo-starter moves and more regular combo finishers, plus hitstun for enemies, would be just about perfect. It's precisely those elements that are missing.

also

Banned
Ok so if you are looking for a connection between them... elephant in the room:

ROXAS AND VEN LOOK IDENTICAL.

The heart inside of Roxas is Ven's. I'm not crazy you're crazy.

That being said, I like Roxas and hope he is a seperate person :p
Even if they look really similar, they are not identical.

It was never 100% confirmed whether Ven's heart was inside Sora's heart (inception gif) or inside Roxas during Days. Roxas can look like Ven without having to have his heart.
Examples:
Vanitas looks like Sora, but he doesn't have Sora's heart inside of him
Xion looks like Kairi/Ven/... but she doesn't have Kairi's/Ven's/... heart inside of her
Nobodies look like their somebodies but they do not have the hearts of their somebodies inside of them.

During Days we only see that Roxas has some of Sora's memories (Ger real! Look which one of us is winning.), there's not even a hint about Ven. Sure, Axel says that talking to Roxas feels like talking to a real person, but that could just be Roxas growing his heart super quickly. Remember how he acted like a zombie during his first few days? If he had had a heart from the beginning I doubt he would have behaved that way.

Also the cutscenes from DDD, which I keep on quoting, make it pretty clear that Roxas (also) had his own heart.
Him and Ven are referred to as separate persons, so each must have his own heart. DiZ also says: '''The heart has always been quick to grow... Nobodies are no different from us in that manner.''and ''And some of those hearts have never left him.'' Wouldn't it be strange if other nobodies (Axel, Namine are confirmed to have) managed to grow their own hearts, but Roxas couldn't?
The whole Sora's endgame section also gives us an interesting look at the state of the people connected to Sora. Namine, who is only a memory (she's inside Kairi), doesn't really do anything. While Xion's heart is inside Sora, her existence was more complicated so she only manages to pass her sadness onto Sora. Roxas, whose heart is fully developed and existence secured, has a full conversation with Sora. Ven, whose heart is still sleeping, only manages to trigger vague memories of Aqua and Terra, but no feelings are passed onto Sora and Sora still has no clue who he is. If Roxas truly was using Ven's heart, Sora would have gotten Ven's memories and feelings too.

Reyne

Hi guys. Recently beat BBS for the first time after staying off Kingdom Hearts for a long long time. Used to be a pretty big fan of the series but I sort of lost interest at one point. Well, with a long summer ahead of me and plenty of free time I decided to get my shit together and play through the handheld installments of what was once my favorite franchise.

Anyway, I enjoyed BBS. Combat was engaging and interesting. The melding system is a welcome addition. Perhaps its a bit too easy to get some abilities ( if you have a chart ), though its way better than simply leveling up and wait for a set ability to come at a specific level. Feels like you are in control of the characters strength and gives you opportunity to do thing in an unique fashion.
With that said, I must say that one aspect of the combat is simply broken. Maybe its just me, but its seem to me that Shotlock is the ultimate, all-purpose cheap shot of the game. It has range, deals a good amount of damage when maxed and you are freaking invincible for the duration of executing it. If an opponent has a dangerous combo, like say, the move dark Zack starts out with against Terra, forget dodging or blocking. Shotlock will let you survive the combo while dealing damage. Actually found myself relying on the shotlock quite a bit as a way to safeguard against difficult bosses.
I mean, I could choose not to use it, but if you don't grind you characters to higher levels I feel its simply a must to get through some of the bosses because the block isn't really that good.

As for the story, I can't say I was overly impressed. The interaction between Terra, Roxas Ventus and Aqua was rather cringe-worthy at times. Maybe dialogue in KH was always like that and I never cared or noticed when I was younger. As for the rest of it, well, can't say I really cared about what went down. I realized from the get-go that most of the original cast was doomed by canon and I can't say whether the set-up this games does for the later ones makes any sense or not since I don't really remember the plot of KH2 too well aside from everybody being nobodies and emotional about it like nobody's business.

I think they picked a nice set of Disney world, but the first three does feel a bit too samey. There is really no exploration to be had, or any incentive for it. Chest and stickers are all put in plain sight ( whats the deal with finding the map in a chest in the first area? It isn't even useful, except to see how small and limited the area really is ) and generally the worlds feel a bit forced and devoid of life at times. I think they really need to work on this because the Disney worlds are one of the defining features of the Kingdom Hearts franchise, but they seem to be neglected. What we get is basically a bastardized spin on the tales from the movies, where the true relevance is put on the tales of those from outside the worlds.
Basically, the cast just happen to stumble upon these events that are of no significance to their own story. I feel that in the original KH this was not the case, because the villains of each Disney world were invested in the overall story, conspiring with each other etc. There was a point in Sora & Co showing up in the Disney worlds to deal with the villains and find the keyholes etc while in BBS the characters just briefly shows up, have a look around and then leaves.

I am sure there is plenty left to be done even after doing the final episode, though I'll leave that for some other time. Have finally decided to purchase a 3DS ( just waiting for it to arrive with the mail ), so I'll be trying out DDD soon.

Because he's sad all the fucking time and is always out of commission or generally useless to everyone. Also his outfit is totally ridiculous. There, I said it. :mad:
Well I mean he kind of has a reason.
He wakes up a nobody, doesn't know who he is or what he is, or if he has a heart. He meets Axel who is arguably his only friend. He also meets Xion but in the end he has to kill her just for Sora to wake up. He goes to fight Riku only to get beaten and put in some Twilight Town simulation.

In KH 2 he has a normal life until weird things start happening to him, he starts disappearing and in the end his friends don't remember him and they can't even see him. He also has to sacrifice himself for Sora, I think his sadness is justified.

botty

Banned
Well I mean he kind of has a reason.
He wakes up a nobody, doesn't know who he is or what he is, or if he has a heart. He meets Axel who is arguably his only friend. He also meets Xion but in the end he has to kill her just for Sora to wake up. He goes to fight Riku only to get beaten and put in some Twilight Town simulation.

In KH 2 he has a normal life until weird things start happening to him, he starts disappearing and in the end his friends don't remember him and they can't even see him. He also has to sacrifice himself for Sora, I think his sadness is justified.

Roxas being a nobody pretty much counters the "he is always sad" argument. IIRC Roxas has only been sad twice... When Xion died and when his summer vacation ended. If anything, Roxas is always pissed off.

Top Bottom