• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

He wasn't physically marked with it the sigil. It was just used for naming Roxas, same as with every other Org. member. The sigil isn't necessarily physical; It's mainly supposed to represent a Nobody being rejected from it's original persona.

He wasn't physically marked with it the sigil. It was just used for naming Roxas, same as with every other Org. member. The sigil isn't necessarily physical; It's mainly supposed to represent a Nobody being rejected from it's original persona.

Yeah, but DDD retconned things so that it was also (secretly) something which would allow pieces of Xehanort's heart to be inserted into the people who had it in their name.

Yeah, but DDD retconned things so that it was also (secretly) something which would allow pieces of Xehanort's heart to be inserted into the people who had it in their name.

Did it? I thought Xenmas said completing and attaining the power of KH was what was going to let him flush out any potential vessels and insert Xehanort's heart in him.

Plus, Braig became a vessel without any involvement from the sigil.

I guess I need to read up on DDD again.

also

Banned
Roxas doesn't exactly exist quite as much as Sora does at the moment. He's no longer an independent, bodied individual. He doesn't have a body for Xehanort to steal.
You said that the problem was the name, why are you suddenly bringing up the lack of body?
It's possible that Xenmas placed the sigil on all the original members of Org. 13 to track them but since they had to place a new sigil on Sora, that means Roxas's sigil is no longer active.

Yeah, you are making stuff up. The sigil in the name is neither necessary nor does it ensure that the individual can become a vessel. See the unfit members of the organization 13 and Sora in DDD.

Atmej pls. Even if Roxas comes back he won't be one of the 7, Ven will. He has already been named as such by Mickey.

Unless it's Roxas-Ven <3

And what action did Roxas have in DDD? Ven was basically
the final boss of the game!
Roxas > Idiot with a huge crush on an idiot like Terra

Roxas-Ven won't happen guys, let it go.

He simply named keyblade wielders he knew, nothing concrete. Or are you saying that Terra will be one of the lights too?

Xehanort replied to the Mickeys list:

''But Sora and another one of your list (Terra) belong to me now and that puts you three guardians short''

So Xehanort recognizes Ven as one (or at least potential one) too. Also I don't know why you'd think Aqua would be one while being against Ven being one. Both have similar screentime and importance. If Roxas really was one of the 7 Ven isn't the one pushed away, it would probably be Lea or Kairi.

You said that the problem was the name, why are you suddenly bringing up the lack of body?
It's possible that Xenmas placed the sigil on all the original members of Org. 13 to track them but since they had to place a new sigil on Sora, that means Roxas's sigil is no longer active.

Yeah, you are making stuff up. The sigil in the name is neither necessary nor does it ensure that the individual can become a vessel. See the unfit members of the organization 13 and Sora in DDD.
Roxas's sigil is no longer active because Roxas is no longer active.

Tsunamo

I feel like having thirteen copies of your dad in different bodies and at different ages would give you hella daddy issues.

Oh, and do we care to speculate on who the 12 Xehanorts are? (They failed to recruit Sora as the 13th, if you recall).

We know of

1. Master Xehanort
2. Young Xehanort
3. Ansem SoD
4. Xemnas
5. Xigbar (although why it's Xigbar instead of Braig confuses me)
6. Saix (same issue for Saix over Isa, unless it's because they need to be a Nobody to make room for Xehanort's heart)

And we can be fairly certain of

7. Terranort

But that leaves five more slots, plus a sixth that (as of the end of DDD) has yet to be filled. Any guesses?

I feel like Vanitas is a reasonably likely candidate. Possibly the Riku Replica as well? What about Marluxia and Larxene? I'm hoping they avoid stuff like KH1 Possessed Riku if only because Riku fighting a time-traveling version of himself might be a little bit too crazy-stupid even for KH.

And I'm curious to know what the alternative to Sora would be. Goodness knows that the recruitment of Roxas, the entire plot of Chain of Memories, the Riku Replica, and Xion were all attempts to weaponize and control Sora himself or a workable alternative to Sora, so there's plenty of precedent for other attempts to achieve the same goal.
Yeah, Terranort's a given at this point. I'm still really curious as to how the saving of Terra will be handled with the whole split debacle and (DDD spoilers for anyone who hasn't got up to the TWTNW yet)
Time Travel
involved now though.

I could see Vanitas returning as one of the 13. A replacement of Sora would be fitting, but I suppose he would have had him in mind before then as a candidate.

I suppose you could also consider Dylan and Even candidates considering they weren't actually shown in DDD (awake and unstable there's still a reasonable timegate between that and the 13 reveal) but I'm reaching a bit with that one, if they were fit they'd have probably have been revealed in DDD rather than having their faces hidden under hoods.

They'll definately all be characters we've seen already.

Yeah, Terranort's a given at this point. I'm still really curious as to how the saving of Terra will be handled with the whole split debacle and (DDD spoilers for anyone who hasn't got up to the TWTNW yet)
Time Travel
involved now though.

I could see Vanitas returning as one of the 13. A replacement of Sora would be fitting, but I suppose he would have had him in mind before then as a candidate.

I suppose you could also consider Dylan and Even candidates considering they weren't actually shown in DDD (awake and unstable there's still a reasonable timegate between that and the 13 reveal) but I'm reaching a bit with that one, if they were fit they'd have probably have been revealed in DDD rather than having their faces hidden under hoods.

They'll definately all be characters we've seen already.

My guess is that KH3's major-events timeline will go (very, very roughly) as follows:

1. One or several of Sora/Riku/Kairi/Mickey/Lea rescue Aqua from the World of Darkness
2. Aqua and Sora restore Ventus' heart and transform Castle Oblivion back into the Land of Departure
3. We now have 7 keyblade wielders (Sora, Riku, Kairi, Mickey, Lea, Aqua, Ventus)
4. The 7 lights and the 13 darknesses clash, forming the X-blade, and unlocking Kingdom Hearts
5. Now that that has already happened, Terranort is restored back to Terra
6. Final battle with Master Xehanort

But there could always be twists of one sort or another. That's still roughly what I expect.

Soriku

How many worlds should we expect in KH3? There's a lot of plot points yet to be resolved that should span several recurring worlds, but we also need several new ones as well.

also

Banned
Roxas's sigil is no longer active because Roxas is no longer active.
He exists within Sora and can speak to him in his subconsciousness, I would not call him no ''longer active''. And there must be a way to remove the sigil, otherwise Sora would be screwed as well. Saying that he is under Xenahort's influence as long as he is called Roxas is ridiculous; Xenahort doesn't have control of every X in the world.

So that Famitsu interview from a few days ago has been properly translated. The interesting stuff:

How did you come up with these visuals?

Nomura: How should next-gen Kingdom Hearts be... should I go with the realism from recent works, or go with something different? I thought long and hard about several answers. From that, I knew we had to go back to our original goal for the graphics of the Kingdom Hearts characters: evoking the feel of the brush paintings in Disney works. So, I called on (Mr Takeshi) Nozue and we did test after test, and the result of all our investigating is the 'Kingdom Shader'. Because we are skipping a generation of hardware with our numbered titles, Kingdom Hearts II having been released on PS2, perhaps it will seem like we are changing things too radically. However, we are doing our utmost best to take everything you have seen so far and evolve it to be even richer.

And development is being handled by the Osaka team responsible for KH Birth by Sleep, KH3D and KH -1.5 HD ReMIX-?

Nomura: The base is the Osaka team. With (Mr Tai) Yasue as Co. Director, they are working in conjunction with the Tokyo Kingdom Hearts staff.

Even just from watching the Shadows in the trailer moving we certainly can tell that the enemies have evolved. And, on the other side, Sora has gained powers befitting a 'Keyblade Master', hasn't he? Will he be able to transform his Keyblade?

Nomura: In this stage of testing he can transform it. By the way, in the trailer, Sora picks up the Keyblade belonging to Master Eraqus that Aqua had. We put that together in order to remind you of the story of KHIII, as this time we weren't able to prepare a scene that would show you a portion of the drama.

He exists within Sora and can speak to him in his subconsciousness, I would not call him no ''longer active''. And there must be a way to remove the sigil, otherwise Sora would be screwed as well. Saying that he is under Xenahort's influence as long as he is called Roxas is ridiculous; Xenahort doesn't have control of every X in the world.

Oh, Roxas isn't *gone,* but he no longer has a body or a physical presence. The sigil was removed from Sora by taking him out of the dream in which he had the X on his clothing. The X doesn't mean Xehanort was *controlling* Roxas or events obviously would have gone differently, but it's a way for him to assert influence and keeps a part of him tied to them. That was the secret aim of the original Organization XIII.

also

Banned
Oh, Roxas isn't *gone,* but he no longer has a body or a physical presence. The sigil was removed from Sora by taking him out of the dream in which he had the X on his clothing. The X doesn't mean Xehanort was *controlling* Roxas or events obviously would have gone differently, but it's a way for him to assert influence and keeps a part of him tied to them. That was the secret aim of the original Organization XIII.
See, I don't think Roxas's sigil is present anymore. If it were, that would mean that Axel's would be still active too, but DDD makes a strong case against that.

See, I don't think Roxas's sigil is present anymore. If it were, that would mean that Axel's would be still active too, but DDD makes a strong case against that.

Axel's isn't either because Axel is gone and Lea is back. It's the same logic for Roxas and Sora.

also

Banned
Finally made this gif. I've been meaning to do it for the longest time.
o8qh8yc.gif

Axel's isn't either because Axel is gone and Lea is back. It's the same logic for Roxas and Sora.

But Axel is not gone; the ''new Lea'' is simply Axel + his old heart. If that were not the case, Lea would not have retained Axel's memories and powers.

Finally made this gif. I've been meaning to do it for the longest time.
o8qh8yc.gif
Part of the point of this scene is that, tragically, Roxas isn't really correct. His story is a pretty sad one.

But Axel is not gone; the ''new Lea'' is simply Axel + his old heart. If that were not the case, Lea would not have retained Axel's memories and powers.

Sure, but he's Lea now. Not Axel. He's also got all of Lea's memories, and that's who he is. It's a very key distinction.

I think at this point, it's kinda silly to definitively state how the Roxas/Ven thing will play out. Though I'd prefer them to be combined (Ven + Roxas' memories) I can admit there's some reasons the opposite can play out, and I'd like to think that those on the opposite side have similar opinions on how up in the air both possibilities are.

Futhermore, we're talking about a series where the main antagonist went from a single scientist falling prey to the very experiments he researched, to a frail, power hungry old man that wants to make a group made up of thirteen of himself (including a
time traveled, teenage version of himself
) to conquer the universe and restore balance or whatever. Anyfuckingthing can happen.

I don't think Nomura will do the Roxas + Ven crap. It looks to me like Nomura is trying hard to justify Roxas being his own person, for example the KH DDD scene, the scene that's gif'd above, the fact that Nobodies can grow hearts, and that he is an important character to the story. The only major thing Ventus did was stop the xblade from forming. Roxas killed his own friend which caused everybody to forget about her, Roxas had the balls to leave the organization, and most importantly Roxas accepted his fate and joined Sora so that he could wake up.

I think Roxas is as important as Sora, Riku, etc.
There's also that little detail that Roxas + Ven would be a fucking shitstorm because they are so different from each other emotionally.

Personal opinion if it isn't clear already:

Best outcome: Roxas stays as he is. The character and his story is over outside of your basic flashbacks/Inside Soras head stuff.
Ehh outcome: Ventus-Roxas
Nightmare outcome: Sora gives birth to everyone

And yes, I know Nomura will probably go with the last one.

also

Banned
Sure, but he's Lea now. Not Axel. He's also got all of Lea's memories, and that's who he is. It's a very key distinction.
Right, but the current Lea still has every bit of what made Axel Axel, which would would include the sigil. If the recusant sigil was really so hard to remove that Roxas would still be marked by it just for keeping his name, Lea would have to still be marked too. To me it seems that it's actually quite easy to get rid of the sigil; Sora basically just had a change of clothes.
I think at this point, it's kinda silly to definitively state how the Roxas/Ven thing will play out. Though I'd prefer them to be combined (Ven + Roxas' memories) I can admit there's some reasons the opposite can play out, and I'd like to think that those on the opposite side have similar opinions on how up in the air both possibilities are.

Futhermore, we're talking about a series where the main antagonist went from a single scientist falling prey to the very experiments he researched, to a frail, power hungry old man that wants to make a group made up of thirteen of himself (including a
time traveled, teenage version of himself
) to conquer the universe and restore balance or whatever. Anyfuckingthing can happen.
I'm actually so sure about Roxas being his own person that I'm willing to bet a copy of Kingdom Hearts 3, any system, any region. The copy can be either regular or special edition depending on how confident you are.
The rules:
During or by the end of KH3 Roxas is his own person (has his own body)-> I win
By the end of KH3 Ven has absorbed Roxas -> I lose
Something else happens -> tie
If it's unclear what really happened, supplementary information from the Ultimania or interviews counts.

Any Roxas=Ven heretics willing put money where their mouth is?

[opinion stuff]

There's also that little detail that Roxas + Ven would be a fucking shitstorm because they are so different from each other emotionally.
Eh, no more of a shitstorm than Roxas & Sora has been (and it's been fine).
Right, but the current Lea still has every bit of what made Axel Axel, which would would include the sigil. If the recusant sigil was really so hard to remove that Roxas would still be marked by it just for keeping his name, Lea would have to still be marked too. To me it seems that it's actually quite easy to get rid of the sigil; Sora basically just had a change of clothes.
Uh, Lea no longer has an X in his name. That's the Recusant's Sigil. He has the rest of Axel, sure, but not that anymore. The part of "Axel" that he lost was *precisely* just the sigil - just the X. Axel wasn't a "true" name anyway, it was one that Xemnas invented. Same with Roxas - that name comes from Xemnas too. There's no need to hold on to it in either case. I think you guys are letting your emotional attachments to Roxas (and, for some reason, to that specific name) blind you to reason, frankly.
I'm actually so sure about Roxas being his own person that I'm willing to bet a copy of Kingdom Hearts 3, any system, any region. The copy can be either regular or special edition depending on how confident you are.
The rules:
During or by the end of KH3 Roxas is his own person (has his own body)-> I win
By the end of KH3 Ven has absorbed Roxas -> I lose
Something else happens -> tie
If it's unclear what really happened, supplementary information from the Ultimania or interviews counts.

Any Roxas=Ven heretics willing put money where their mouth is?
I'm going to buy KH3 at launch anyway (with the correct English voices, not an import) so I really have no reason to take this bet. Feel free to say "I told you so" if you're right, though. I certainly plan to.

also

Banned
Uh, Lea no longer has an X in his name. That's the Recusant's Sigil. He has the rest of Axel, sure, but not that anymore. The part of "Axel" that he lost was *precisely* just the sigil - just the X. Axel wasn't a "true" name anyway, it was one that Xemnas invented. Same with Roxas - that name comes from Xemnas too. There's no need to hold on to it in either case. I think you guys are letting your emotional attachments to Roxas (and, for some reason, to that specific name) blind you to reason, frankly.I'm going to buy KH3 at launch anyway (with the correct English voices, not an import) so I really have no reason to take this bet. Feel free to say "I told you so" if you're right, though. I certainly plan to.
But did he really abandon his old name? At first he insists on being called Lea, but at a certain point he just drops the issue; at the very end of DDD he has no objections to being called Axel and I think he will go by that name in KH3.
As I see it, the sigil wasn't just the name, otherwise Xenahort could just go around adding Xs to everyone's names, it was an actual physical thing/spell, as seen here:
I see no reason for Roxas to be stuck with it, if Sora could so easily remove his.

I also plan to buy KH3 at launch and play through it before declaring the winner of the bet, but even so I would just PayPal you what you paid for the game (+shipping if applicable), so you could just buy another game. There's no reason for you not to take the bet if you are so confident.

I don't want Roxas to be made his own person because the existential angst is the whole point of the character. KH2 (and to a lesser extent Days) loses its dramatic weight (lol) if you undo Roxas' sacrifice.

also

Banned
I don't want Roxas to be made his own person because the existential angst is the whole point of the character. KH2 (and to a lesser extent Days) loses its dramatic weight (lol) if you undo Roxas' sacrifice.

I see Roxas's inevitable ''revival'' as a fitting final chapter of his struggle to be accepted.
Xion on the other hand... I just don't know how Nomura can solve her situation in a satisfactory way.

EDIT: Another gif:
fBscMFB.gif

Psxphile

Xion on the other hand... I just don't know how Nomura can solve her situation in a satisfactory way.

With Vexen/Even on your team, you can make the impossible possible.

Those Replicas... was it ever fleshed out what they actually were? I keep imagining them to be Dusks or some lifeless Nobody shell that had captured memories poured in until it developed its own conscious. But I can't be sure if that is the result of what I learned playing the games or being influenced by fan theories (I've read a few over the years).

also

Banned
With Vexen/Even on your team, you can make the impossible possible.

Those Replicas... was it ever fleshed out what they actually were? I keep imagining them to be Dusks or some lifeless Nobody shell that had captured memories poured in until it developed its own conscious. But I can't be sure if that is the result of what I learned playing the games or being influenced by fan theories (I've read a few over the years).

The problem is not how to bring her back but the consequences of doing so.

I think replicas are just man made marvels of engineering. From Days's secret reports:
Axel: ''How is a man-made puppet any less worthy than a Nobody that was never meant to exist at all?''
But then again ,Axel is not the brightest.
Vexen: ''One thing is clear: should these Replicas not be classified as a special sort of Nobody?''
Maybe they do share a connection with dusks...
Xion was empty in the beginning and was made to absorb Sora's memories. On the other hand, Namine filled Repliku with false memories.

1upmuffin

So I had started KH1 awhile ago, just finished The Last of Us, and decided to go back to KH. I was around 5 hours in, still in Wonderland. I got to the Tarzan world then stopped for the day. I'm really enjoying it so far, even though I haven't really played any Square stuff.

I think the best solution is simple:split timeline with both having nothing to do with eachother.

Roxas is the main character in the first one. His games are available on mobile devices giving the experiences his fans have grown to love in vein of 358/2 days!

Sora is the main character in the second one. His games are available on high end home consoles. Roxas doesn't survive (read: he doesn't born) the events of KH3 :(

Top Bottom