• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

sasuke_91

And the story. Don't forget the story.
I really enjoyed the last part of the game. I also liked Xion (seriously, Xion and Naminé are so much cooler than Kairi). And her soundtrack... that SOUNDTRACK!!

358/2 Days' Version of Dearly Beloved is also my favourite.

Seda

RE:coded is tied with Days for the best growth and customizatin system in the series. I'd be happy if we could get the Panel System or Stat Matrix in a console KH.

A RE:coded-esqe customization system with a Birth by Sleep-esqe command deck and skill system would be really cool.

I doubt I'd miss any of Dream Drop Distance's mechanics.

I *do* hope that KH3 has multiple playable campaigns, though, or maybe takes place in chapters or something. At this point they've fleshed out too many interesting combat styles for different characters to only have Sora be playable.

Village

As long as i can play as riku , the man of plot, I will be ok.

Also i feel like his design would benifit from a hat.

I usually prefer Sora over Riku, but I gotta say, Dream Drop Distance made me change my mind (at least for that particular game). That was definitely a game for Riku.

I generally like them both equally. Eh I like riku a bit more, but I don't dislike sora, I don't really dislike any KH character, Scratch that, I dislike that blond chick from the organization.

I just find riku to be the one who handles a shit ton of the plot issues, I think riku should have been playable in kh2, through out the whole game in a separate story.n I hope kh3 has multiple stories, ( I also hope it has keyblade master oswald )

In KH3, at the very least, I want to play as Sora, Riku, and Aqua - each doing their own thing. It'd be cool if we got to play as Ventus, too, but eh, not getting my hopes up about that. I always thought it would be kind of cool if KH had a "party" system like in FF games where you have like 6~7 characters to choose from and you could build your party like that (and control whoever you wanted). I think that would require too much effort on SE's part (maybe so many playstyles with unique abilities), so I doubt it'll actually happen.

I don't see KH3 becoming party based, simply because Nomura might worry that it makes it too similar to FFXV.

However I would love to have multiple protagonist that each get their own unique worlds.

Also I want to play as Kairi so she can not be useless for once in her goddamn life.

Yeah, that's the thing - better defining each protagonist's play style would be awesome because BBS/DDD already did a pretty good job of that. We're at the point where the only post-KH1 game where you only ever play as Sora is Re:Coded, though (CoM has Sora/Riku, KH2 has Sora/Roxas/optional Mickey/very briefly Riku, 358/2 Days has every Organization member, BBS has Terra/Aqua/Ventus, DDD has Sora/Riku).

Psxphile

Nomura will defy all your expectations and make Sora the only playable character, but with the ability to "borrow" powers from other characters ala BbS's Dimension Links w/ a hint of Drive Forms. Link w/ Riku and your abilities and fighting style will mimic his: Dark Firagas all up in this. Link w/ Aqua to for increased magic aptitude and a love for ballet. Link w/ Axel and your Keyblade turns into Chakrams that you can fire off for long-range attacks. Link w/ Roxas and (re)gain dual-wielding.

Also I want to play as Kairi so she can not be useless for once in her goddamn life.

Tutorial only. Sorry bro.

Malyse

KH3 is for certain going to have multiple playable characters. I mean, of 7 iterations, 4 of them have had multiple player characters, five if you want to include Days multiplayer. The real question is if it will be separate saves as in BBS or switching off like in 3D. That and who the characters will be. I'm guessing Sora Riku Kairi, possibly Aqua once she's returned from the dark realm.

Also (sorry if this has come up)
what does everyone think of the fact that Sora is doomed to fail in KH3, according to the Foreteller's Script

Eh, it's really obvious that Xehanort will succeed in the sense that he'll successfully recreate the Chi-blade and open the way to the real Kingdom Hearts. Kingdom Hearts will probably be the final area of the game.

And yeah, early Kairi or Axel training seems likely to me.

I think Dream Drop is saying that Kairi at the start of KH3 will have some training behind her, whereas Sora at the beginning of the original Kingdom Hearts had none.

Ah, like Destiny Islands KH1 Sora. Got it.

I'll say right up front that unless KH3 has a full-on party system with the ability to choose party members *and* switch who you're playing as, I honestly don't expect to play as Axel in KH3 (and almost certainly not as Terra or Ventus, even though they'll almost certainly get rescued). I could see playable Kairi happening in the prologue, and during main gameplay I get the impression that Riku's gonna go save Aqua from the World of Darkness (but Sora will be needed to wake Ventus up once she turns Castle Oblivion back into the Land of Departure). I could see Sora, Riku, and Kairi all having separate campaigns similar to what we saw with BBS, honestly, though I'm not sure what they'll send Kairi off to do (accompanied by Axel, I guess?).

KH3 looks like it's going to re-involve the Princesses of Heart in the story, but I don't think Disney nor Nomura will want to restrict themselves to being required to use Wonderland, Dwarf Woodlands, Agrabah (again!), Beast's Castle, Castle of Dreams, and Enchanted Dominion, especially at the expense of stuff like Pixar movies, Tron: Legacy's sequel (perhaps), Pirates of the Caribbean 2 & 3, Star Wars, Marvel, et cetera.

Nice the KH OT, been meaning to post here.

Loved KH 1, 2, and BBS, been waiting for 3 for way too long now. Can't wait to try 2.5 for the FM version of 2 and BBS HD.

That being said, I'm more or less caught up with the story after BBS. Have no idea what has happened in the 3DS game. I imagine more craziness.

Loved KH 1, 2, and BBS, been waiting for 3 for way too long now. Can't wait to try 2.5 for the FM version of 2 and BBS HD.

That being said, I'm more or less caught up with the story after BBS. Have no idea what has happened in the 3DS game. I imagine more craziness.
Oh boy, you have no idea.
I am one of those freaks that thinks the KH story is simple to understand, but 3D left me puzzled.

Do you have any plans on playing Dream Drop Distance? It's not as good as BBS, but I do recommend it if you have the system. The story is... yeah, pretty crazy and goes in some unexpected directions, but it was still entertaining as hell.

Malyse

Shocking from my username and avatar, but I personally think the 3D was the most important game in the series what with
Sora failling the mark of mastery
the revelation of the fact that nobodies can grow new hearts
, and
the unveiling of Xehanort's true plan
. That coupled with the fact that chi
reveals a prophecy that basically says that Xehanort wins in KH3
plus
the fact that there are six apprentices and the speculation that Xehanort has some thing to do with the other apprentice as is evidenced by the goat head on his keyblade
and we're in for quite an interesting show for the final act.

I still want my tag to say "I think of Kingdom Hearts everyday".

Also, because I can:
http://dreamdropheart.tumblr.com/tagged/kingdom+hearts

Oh boy, you have no idea.
I am one of those freaks that thinks the KH story is simple to understand, but 3D left me puzzled.

Haha, simple in some ways yes, I agree. Though I definitely was confused between KH 1 and 2, thankfully 358/2 days and Chain of memories helped filled that gap. Also Vanita's face being
Sora's
still kinda throws me for a loop.

Do you have any plans on playing Dream Drop Distance? It's not as good as BBS, but I do recommend it if you have the system. The story is... yeah, pretty crazy and goes in some unexpected directions, but it was still entertaining as hell.

Why yes, I do have a 3DS and a copy of Dream Drop Distance. Yes I do plan on playing it eventually, I wanna play BD first though. It warms my heart knowing that the story is crazy and entertaining as hell. The only other KH game I have not played is coded, and don't really want to play it.

Shocking from my username and avatar, but I personally think the 3D was the most important game in the series
It probably is since it's bridging the gap between 2 and 3.

On the subject of KH3, I hope it's tone and atmosphere is similar to the original KH. That bright, happy, friendly, light vs dark, Disney-like tone and atmosphere of KH was one of my favorite thing about that game. I guess you can say KH was just Simple and Clean. I thought Goofy and Donald had such a stronger role in KH1 than in KH2, where they are kinda put to the side. Hope they are treated to a more prominent role in KH3, I loved those guys. Though only time will tell what kinda of game KH3 will be, I hope they can recapture the magic of the original KH on the PS2, as well as incorporate all the great things done to the gameplay throughout the series. Also, I want a new theme song form Hikaru Utada

/end rant

Shocking from my username and avatar, but I personally think the 3D was the most important game in the series what with
Sora failling the mark of mastery
the revelation of the fact that nobodies can grow new hearts
, and
the unveiling of Xehanort's true plan
. That coupled with the fact that chi
reveals a prophecy that basically says that Xehanort wins in KH3
plus
the fact that there are six apprentices and the speculation that Xehanort has some thing to do with the other apprentice as is evidenced by the goat head on his keyblade
and we're in for quite an interesting show for the final act.

I still want my tag to say "I think of Kingdom Hearts everyday".

Also, because I can:
http://dreamdropheart.tumblr.com/tagged/kingdom+hearts

I'm reasonably sure that KH1 is the most important game in the series given that it introduces the protagonist.

If you mean "DDD is only a standout game if you are deeply invested in KH lore," though, then absolutely yes.

Guys, I just watched Frozen, probably my new favorite Disney movie, I WANT FROZEN IN KH3. Or maybe some Pixar movies, hell The Avengers would be badass. No Star Wars though.

Yeah, I saw it two weekends ago and it was definitely legit. Elsa would definitely make a good party member, I'd imagine.

Yeah, Elsa would probably be casting Blizzaga till dudes shattered. Dang, that would be awesome. Or at the very least make it the "musical level" like Atlantis in KH2.

botty

Banned
Hasn't Nomura been very specific about the numbered entries in the series being "Sora's" story? I think KH3 will follow the traditional format of just Sora being playable. Riku got his story with 3D, TAV got their story, and Roxas got his story. I think he'll sticky to tradition.

Hasn't Nomura been very specific about the numbered entries in the series being "Sora's" story? I think KH3 will follow the traditional format of just Sora being playable. Riku got his story with 3D, TAV got their story, and Roxas got his story. I think he'll sticky to tradition.

I hope so, while playing different characters was done well in BBS, I would prefer a main numbered entry to be the further adventures of Sora, Donald, and Goofy. The best trio.

Malyse

Except Mickey and Riku were playable in II. In fact, of seven entries, four have had multiple playable characters (five if you want to count Days multiplayer). Plus, you can see with 3D and BBS that they are experimenting with methods to handle having multiple characters.

I used to think it was pretty danged likely that KH3 would see three end-game parties consisting of [Mickey, Goofy, Donald], [Sora, Riku, Kairi], and [Aqua, Terra, Ventus].

Now, with the introduction of Lea as a Keyblade wielder, I'm no longer so sure about how it'll go.

I used to think it was pretty danged likely that KH3 would see three end-game parties consisting of [Mickey, Goofy, Donald], [Sora, Riku, Kairi], and [Aqua, Terra, Ventus].

Now, with the introduction of Axel as a Keyblade wielder, I'm no longer so sure about how it'll go.

o_O... did this happen in Dream Drop Distance?

Malyse

Now, with the introduction of
Axel
as a Keyblade wielder, I'm no longer so sure about how it'll go.

1. That's a spoiler.
Lea, not Axel
Lea, Roxas, Xion. Nobodies grow their own hearts, remember

o_O... did this happen in Dream Drop Distance?

No. No it did not.
Axel is not a keyblade wielder.
Axel is also gone. Lea on the other hand is.

1. That's a spoiler.
Lea, not Axel
Lea, Roxas, Xion. Nobodies grow their own hearts, remember

I'm pretty sure spoilers are fine in this thread, but yeah, thanks for catching me on the Axel/Lea thing - my bad. (I enjoyed the joke in DDD where everyone calls him Axel instead of Lea because he's worked so hard to get them to memorize it, though - that was cute, though I suspect the specific referential nature of the joke may have come across better in the Japanese script).

And yeah, you're right, I could see Lea/Roxas/Xion possibly happening, although I still think what's going to end up happening is that Roxas will have his memories and self merged with Ventus as a part of the process of waking Ventus up and restoring that part of his heart to him. Roxas didn't grow his own heart, if I recall correctly, he had the fragment of Sora's heart that belongs to Ventus. But yeah, in the end I think it'd be sort of a happy thing to retcon Roxas to be, essentially, amnesiac Ventus, and would resolve the problem of having two nearly identical character designs in the series (now that that strangeness has been fully explained for us).

Malyse

I'm pretty sure spoilers are fine in this thread, but yeah, thanks for catching me on the Axel/Lea thing - my bad. (I enjoyed the joke in DDD where everyone calls him Axel instead of Lea because he's worked so hard to get them to memorize it, though - that was cute, though I suspect the specific referential nature of the joke may have come across better in the Japanese script).

And yeah, you're right, I could see Lea/Roxas/Xion possibly happening, although I still think what's going to end up happening is that Roxas will have his memories and self merged with Ventus as a part of the process of waking Ventus up and restoring that part of his heart to him. Roxas didn't grow his own heart, if I recall correctly, he had the fragment of Sora's heart that belongs to Ventus.

So we're just tossing Makoto's play experience out because you don't want to tag spoilers? Even though they clearly said they haven't played it yet? How benevolent of you.

Roxas very much grew his own heart. They've said as much already. Part of the reason Xemnas didn't want the members of OrgXIII to interact with people in missions on days is because it would accelerate the growth of new hearts in nobodies, which, after the absurd amount of trouble Master Xehanort had quelling Terra's heart, is something he didn't want to deal with in his future vessels.

No worries, honestly I read the OT and knew spoilers were just around the corner. It's no big deal, I posted here of my own accord, well aware that spoilers maybe present. Just didn't think the spoilers would be that cool. Spoilers have never been too much a big deal for me since, I probably would need to play it anyways to understand the context, as well as read the KH wiki to fully comprehend what has happened.

Malyse

No worries, honestly I read the OT and knew spoilers were just around the corner. It's no big deal, I posted here of my own accord, well aware that spoilers maybe present. Just didn't think the spoilers would be that cool. Spoilers have never been too much a big deal for me since, I probably would need to play it anyways to understand the context, as well as read the KH wiki to fully comprehend what has happened.

Or you could ask me.

No seriously, Kingdom Hearts is all I think about. That and Disney Princesses. Oh and Magical Girls. I know more that anyone on those three subjects.

If Kingdom Hearts were about a magical girl / if Kairi is a magical girl, it would be a perfect game.

Speaking of Kairi, since no one will bite on about talking about chi
and the fact that Sora is going to fail in KH3
, let's talk about the fact that she has a yet unseen keyblade wielding style as is evidence in this photo. (No worries, it's not a spoiler since I'm not giving context)

My_Friends_Are_My_Power!_01_KH3D.png

Everyone shown is in their combat pose. Roxas, Xion and Sora all wield in a similar fashion and are posed as such. Also worth noting is that Roxas and Ventus are both shown, designating them as separate entities. But most important is that Kairi is in a pose completely unlike that of any wielder thus far. Nomura has shown in the past that every damn thing in these games is worth analysis so her being in that pose can't just be overlooked. What's most interesting is that the pose it most resembles is the stance Sora takes when locking a keyhole.
Sealing_the_keyhole_by_Baby_Blue_Bell.jpg

This could either mean that Kairi is either taking a mosting non combative stance in KH3 or it could mean that she's going to be a WMD. Strange jump? Well there was one time that Sora used the locking light attack in combat:

28.jpg

The final finishing blow used to take down Xemnas is the light of the keyblade used to unlock or lock the keyholes of worlds.

Now, if this pose is showing that this is Kairi's standard method of attack, well then. Good fucking luck Xehanort.

The most important factor about Kairi going forward (and what makes her a secret weapon in KH3 to turn the tide against Xehanort, I suspect) is that she's both a keyblade wielder *and* a Princess of Heart. If anything, she's potentially even more of a pure-light person than Ventus was in BBS. That'll end up being really important to the plot, given that Xehanort's backup plan is to go after the Princesses of Heart if the light-aligned Keyblade wielders refuse to confront him.

Psxphile

Or you could ask me.

No seriously, Kingdom Hearts is all I think about. That and Disney Princesses. Oh and Magical Girls. I know more that anyone on those three subjects.

Hm. Is that really something to be proud of? :p Though I did enjoy your dissertations on [chi]. Not gonna bite the hand.

If Kingdom Hearts were about a magical girl / if Kairi is a magical girl, it would be a perfect game.

I hope Nomura can resist the urge to give her an overly-elaborate keyblade armor transformation sequence. With a pretty pink bow.

KINGDOM HEARTS KEYBLADE POWER MAKE UP

Speaking of Kairi, since no one will bite on about talking about chi
and the fact that Sora is going to fail in KH3

I think some people feel better when speculating about KH when they can experience it for themselves. Also: browser game. But sure, I'll bite: what exactly do you mean by "fail" and remind me again what that prophecy is trying to convey?

let's talk about the fact that she has a yet unseen keyblade wielding style as is evidence in this photo. (No worries, it's not a spoiler since I'm not giving context)

Everyone shown is in their combat pose. Roxas, Xion and Sora all wield in a similar fashion and are posed as such. Also worth noting is that Roxas and Ventus are both shown, designating them as separate entities. But most important is that Kairi is in a pose completely unlike that of any wielder thus far. Nomura has shown in the past that every damn thing in these games is worth analysis so her being in that pose can't just be overlooked. What's most interesting is that the pose it most resembles is the stance Sora takes when locking a keyhole.

This could either mean that Kairi is either taking a mosting non combative stance in KH3 or it could mean that she's going to be a WMD. Strange jump? Well there was one time that Sora used the locking light attack in combat:

The final finishing blow used to take down Xemnas is the light of the keyblade used to unlock or lock the keyholes of worlds.

Now, if this pose is showing that this is Kairi's standard method of attack, well then. Good fucking luck Xehanort.

Or maybe they haven't quite finalized her "fighting style" yet and just put her in a mostly neutral pose.

It's funny seeing Roxas and Xion employing Sora's stance... goes to show how despite developing their own "selves" during the course of their short lives they still take after their progenitor in certain ways.

The most important factor about Kairi going forward (and what makes her a secret weapon in KH3 to turn the tide against Xehanort, I suspect) is that she's both a keyblade wielder *and* a Princess of Heart. If anything, she's potentially even more of a pure-light person than Ventus was in BBS. That'll end up being really important to the plot, given that Xehanort's backup plan is to go after the Princesses of Heart if the light-aligned Keyblade wielders refuse to confront him.

Kidnap victim confirmed. Also, if it turns out she has her own story mode separate from the others: short story mode confirmed. :p

Malyse

Hm. Is that really something to be proud of? :p Though I did enjoy your dissertations on [chi]. Not gonna bite the hand.

Should I be ashamed instead? Fuck that noise. Sorry I'm not enough of a hipster to just lord knowledge over people :\

I hope Nomura can resist the urge to give her an overly-elaborate keyblade armor transformation sequence. With a pretty pink bow.

KINGDOM HEARTS KEYBLADE POWER MAKE UP

_mmd__armored_kairi___dl_by_roxasxiiiaxelviii-d68x82w.png

I think some people feel better when speculating about KH when they can experience it for themselves. Also: browser game. But sure, I'll bite: what exactly do you mean by "fail" and remind me again what that prophecy is trying to convey?

chi is incredible accessible to the western audience. Outside the minor hurdle in account creation you can play in about 15 minutes if that. That being said, the prophecy said that the worlds would be covered in darkness. Basically, Xehanort's plans would come to fruition. I wanted to know what everyone thought of being doomed by prophecy.

Or maybe they haven't quite finalized her "fighting style" yet and just put her in a mostly neutral pose.

If they really wanted a neutral pose, they would have had her without a keyblade at all. They specifically gave her one and they put her in a pose evocative of the Keyhole sealing, a pose that calls to mind when Sora used his most powerful move to date. This is Nomura we're talking about. I mean, the man is crazy deliberate with everything, even down to thematic naming. Furthermore, why would she be the only one not ready to fight, especially when she A: has been training for multiple games and B: said that she was fighting this time? And on a final point, why would the default not be to put her in a Sora combat pose? That seems more neutral to me.

Where can I read this profecy? I'm interested.

Also, nothing stops such profecy to occur and then the situation is reversed and Sora saves the day against the odds.

Rather than story discussion, I'm most interested in speculating about how KH3's worlds and gameplay will be designed. I think KH2 included a lot of things that felt like responses to game design of its era (Reaction Commands are very much like the QTEs popularized in RE4 and GoW1/2, it's more filled with cinematic minigames (like the Agrabah stuff), and so on. Also, the summons themselves were turned into minigames.

KH3's major details that we know so far are a greater emphasis on today's fashionable
cinematic set pieces over QTEs (based on how Attraction Flow seems to work), plus greater versatility for the Keyblade (which reminds me heavily of some of FFXV's emphasis on having swordfighting, lock-on gunplay, *and* aiming-based gunplay). I just wonder how that'll be reflected in other ways.

Oh, and because the Compilation of FFVII is currently dead in the water, I don't expect to see quite as much of the FFVII crew this time around (though I'm sure they'll be present) - the Sephiroth/Cloud cameos in KH1 ended up having a lot to do with making Squeenix folks want to make Advent Children, and KH2/BBS's stuff was pretty closely tied to reflecting Advent Children and Crisis Core respectively. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see Lightning or Noctis/Stella make a cameo, though.

Malyse

tumblr_mzx68hvEv41rjv5flo1_1280.png

You see, Sora, having a fairly large crush on Kairi, always imagined the two of them together, but when he’s actually with Kairi, he Can Not Spit It Out. Boys, how many times have you approached the gal of your dreams only to act like a total idiot and either fumble with words, or act completely uninterested? So he does the only thing he can think of without looking stupid; just hug her back.

Meanwhile with Riku, Sora’s letting out all of the worry he’s had over Riku being consumed by the Darkness. Wouldn’t you be worried if your best friend was turning evil? or had a pretty good chance of being lost to the Darkness forever? Sora’s just relieved to see he’s okay, and also a little pissed that Riku didn’t tell him he was in the first place. He isn’t gay, just extremely worried for his friends, which fits with his personality perfectly.

It is also worth mentioning that despite being separated, Kairi spent that year safe at their homeworld. Riku, in the other hand, was thought to be lost forever, and while Sora knew Riku was back for a while thanks to Mickey, finally meeting with Riku cracked him, because he finally made sure his best friend was alive.

—why sora’s reactions to kairi and riku are different

Top Bottom