• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue |OT| May our hearts be our guiding key

Famassu

I'm actually really enjoying Dream Drop Distance so far and not having much issues but I'm really overwhelmed by this combat system. There's just so much going on with the Dream Eaters and syncing with them and the command deck that I've never liked. Hope Kingdom Hearts III goes back to the effortless simplicity of II but I doubt it, considering the team working on it.
III will be closer to II than BBS/DDD/Re:Coded type combat. That much has been confirmed by Nomura. They are taking some lessons learned from all the games developed between II & III, but overall they ARE trying to kind of merge the new stuff into a more KHII-type combat system rather than make small adjustments to the BBS/DDD/Re:Coded type combat system.

Nose Master

DDD is so good. KH1.5 / 2.5 (the ps3 ones) weren't 60 fps, right?

I have a habit of skipping most cutscenes because while I enjoy the overarching plot of the series, I have no tolerance for terrible retellings of direct-to-VHS Disney films. Am I correct in remembering that nothing much plot-relevant happens outside of Traverse Town and TWTNW?

There's some in
Monstro
that's solid, for Riku.

Nose Master

So uh, my Second Chance with Riku only works like half of the time? It's highlighted and unlocked, but it doesn't work for him. ?_?

EDIT: I'm a scrub. Once more is the combo one.

Falk

that puzzling face
CoM and KH2FM on the PS3 collections were 60fps where it really counted though:

- During Pooh Minigames and the transition cutscenes between floors for CoM
- In the menu for KH2FM

don't hurt me

Ydelnae

(Minnie is locked inside a treasure chest. Riku hears moaning (why is she moaning?) and uses his keyblade to open the chest)

Minnie: Thank you (Minnie walks away)
Riku: Where are you going?
Minnie: I have to rescue the Musketeers

RocknRola

- In the menu for KH2FM

don't hurt me

lol

Well, at least they knew where to focus hehe

RocknRola

(Minnie is locked inside a treasure chest. Riku hears moaning (why is she moaning?) and uses his keyblade to open the chest)

Minnie: Thank you (Minnie walks away)
Riku: Where are you going?
Minnie: I have to rescue the Musketeers

Got there just 10 minutes ago.

Amazing. Eat your heart out, Uncharted!

Nose Master

So uh, is the final boss in DDD possible without Once More?
When he gets to about 2 life bars left, he teleports you to the hallway again, but instead of lasers it's giant dark orbs that 2-3 shot you, with Second Chance.
I have T Rex, I just really don't want to grind him. The other final bosses thus far have actually been better without Once More.

EDIT:
Seems so, you just have to be on point with dodging back and forth.

When he gets to about 2 life bars left, he teleports you to the hallway again, but instead of lasers it's giant dark orbs that 2-3 shot you, with Second Chance.
I have T Rex, I just really don't want to grind him. The other final bosses thus far have actually been better without Once More.

EDIT:

that's not the final boss fyi, you have like two more after him

also i think i beat him without Second Chance & Once More so you should be able, might have to get a bit lucky

Nose Master

that's not the final boss fyi, you have like two more after him

also i think i beat him without Second Chance & Once More so you should be able, might have to get a bit lucky

bro I'm already on like the fourth boss in a row D:

What's everyone's highest score on the Balloon minigame? 277 atm, but I feel like I could break 300.

Streamin' DDD final bosses atm, if you are bored. I don't hook up a mic for lazy PS4 streams, though.

Nose Master

it's ansem SoD your fighting now right? cause i know he isn't the last boss and i may have messed up

but you did say hallway attack which i remember from his boss fight so i don't think i'm wrong

Nah, you were right.
beat him, now slapping young Xeha

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Started playing 0.2 yesterday and honestly I don't like it much. I really hope KH3 doesn't come straight out from this sort of vertical slice demo, there's so many things off like the visual style, gameplay, animations, level design... but I trust this is a demo created in short time just to showcase graphics and such. Kh3 have to be way more ambitious than this to catch my interest. Also, are they using the BBS animations for Aqua? In 2017 on ps4 o_O?

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
So I have this feeling I always had it with Kingdom Hearts games and it even bothers me a lot more with DDD. Don't get me wrong. I love Kingdom Hearts as a franchise, but I just don't understand this.

---
Every Kingdom Hearts-world is so completely empty. I am right now playing the Hunchback of Notre Dame-world and it's baffling how empty this world is. You have four NPC's living in this entire world and that's it. Same goes for Traverse Town (and probably every world in DDD). How can it be so difficult to put in some NPC's. This completely breaks the immersion sometimes. Especially if you hear non-existing humans people cheer.

And it's not only in DDD that this bothered me. But also in KH1 and KH2. The Mulan, Lion King, Pirates and Alladin world were all missing NPC's to give you the feeling it's actually a world you're walking in.

I love Kingdom Hearts, but it's one of the only big RPG-franchises that have such empty worlds. And I just don't understand why.

I really really hope it will be different in Kingdom Hearts III. But chances are quite big that it's exactly the same.

Lnds500

So I have this feeling I always had it with Kingdom Hearts games and it even bothers me a lot more with DDD. Don't get me wrong. I love Kingdom Hearts as a franchise, but I just don't understand this.

---
Every Kingdom Hearts-world is so completely empty. I am right now playing the Hunchback of Notre Dame-world and it's baffling how empty this world is. You have four NPC's living in this entire world and that's it. Same goes for Traverse Town (and probably every world in DDD). How can it be so difficult to put in some NPC's. This completely breaks the immersion sometimes. Especially if you hear non-existing humans people cheer.

And it's not only in DDD that this bothered me. But also in KH1 and KH2. The Mulan, Lion King, Pirates and Alladin world were all missing NPC's to give you the feeling it's actually a world you're walking in.

I love Kingdom Hearts, but it's one of the only big RPG-franchises that have such empty worlds. And I just don't understand why.

I really really hope it will be different in Kingdom Hearts III. But chances are quite big that it's exactly the same.

Yeah they need to find a solution for that. Maybe having areas that enemies attack and ones that don't or NPC flee when heartless appear - they can't keep getting away with it on the PS4.

silva1991

EDIT:

when I played the game years ago on 3DS I even beat the optional boss without once more or second chance, so yes.

I will finish the game soon after grinding my sweet spirits soon.

It's weird how much better Sora's Prankster's Paradise is than Riku's.

Well yeah, monstro level sucked even in KH1.

raven777

---

I always thought one of the reasons why they don't have any npcs was that in KH, battles can happen in most of the maps, even in towns. In some safe areas where there are no battle, there were few NPCs like FF characters in Hollow Bastion if I remember correctly? So how would npcs react when heartless/nobody or whatever pops up and battle starts? Would they just stay same? Would they make each npcs stay away to corners in fear? Maybe it's one of the reason why they never bothered putting NPCs. Also it could be technical limitation during PS2 (and handheld) that they just bothered not putting any. It makes it really stupid in situations like Collosium battles or BBS's Cinderella castle where there is empty clapping and stuff so I assume those were due to technical limitation.

I am not saying this justifies having no NPCs in the game. I hope they do find solution for KH3 but I very much doubt it at this point. The fact that Chi Back Cover had similar issue of having empty Daybreak town makes me think that they won't really bother with NPCs in the worlds.

Tsunamo

Finally got up to 0.2 Aqua on Bossrush mode. Not having much luck so far, but i'm glad they included bossrush mode, it's a neat little extra.

- In the menu for KH2FM

don't hurt me
I always knew there was a reason I couldn't stop playing the Re:CoM minigames and it was the funnest segment of the whole game.

saad1

Banned
I always thought one of the reasons why they don't have any npcs was that in KH, battles can happen in most of the maps, even in towns. In some safe areas where there are no battle, there were few NPCs like FF characters in Hollow Bastion if I remember correctly? So how would npcs react when heartless/nobody or whatever pops up and battle starts? Would they just stay same? Would they make each npcs stay away to corners in fear? Maybe it's one of the reason why they never bothered putting NPCs. Also it could be technical limitation during PS2 (and handheld) that they just bothered not putting any. It makes it really stupid in situations like Collosium battles or BBS's Cinderella castle where there is empty clapping and stuff so I assume those were due to technical limitation.

I am not saying this justifies having no NPCs in the game. I hope they do find solution for KH3 but I very much doubt it at this point. The fact that Chi Back Cover had similar issue of having empty Daybreak town makes me think that they won't really bother with NPCs in the worlds.

i think it was done pretty nicely in ffxiii-2.
he touched upon presence of NPCs in 2013 and how will they aid in the fight, but never again.
honestly, i hope at least San Fransokyo will be populated.

silva1991

Probably 2 hours of grinding. over 50 water wheels. over 30 abilities unlocked.

Only for a fucking infinite glitch to happen and ruin everything.

I need a fucking break.

raven777

i think it was done pretty nicely in ffxiii-2.
he touched upon presence of NPCs in 2013 and how will they aid in the fight, but never again.
honestly, i hope at least San Fransokyo will be populated.

I forgot how it was done in XIII-2... But yea it's possible but I just don't think they consider it a priority.

The fight against Aqua in boss rush (master difficulty) is BS.

it's not. It's probably one of the more fair boss battles in the game.

hank_tree

- In the menu for KH2FM

don't hurt me

Isn't the entire game 60fps but they just double every frame for that 30fps feel?

man i still really like the fact that the second phase of young Xehanort has him just using his moves from his boss fight in BBS, i still remember figuring out who he was from just looking at his stance and his boss music

it's not. It's probably one of the more fair boss battles in the game.

Maybe I need to level up a little but I have no problems with any boss in the game in any difficulty mode but her and I know how to block and dodge most of her attacks, she hits you hard, really hard. I guess I will have to practice.

raven777

Maybe I need to level up a little but I have no problems with any boss in the game in any difficulty mode but her and I know how to block and dodge most of her attacks, she hits you hard, really hard. I guess I will have to practice.

yea I don't mean she is not hard. She is definitely the hardest boss in the game. But there are many openings that you can exploit once you get used to it.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Back Cover was cool, does the story find conclusion in the game? It stopped when it was getting to the climax lol

Tsunamo

Finally beat Aqua. Once you get to the pattern it's easy, but it takes a long long time to adjust to her openings, once you've learnt though she's easier than most of the series Secret Bosses i'd say.
Back Cover was cool, does the story find conclusion in the game? It stopped when it was getting to the climax lol
The depressing thing is it's still ongoing, so we're still waiting to have more of those mysterys solved. Backcover actually added a couple that weren't there before even
What was in the box Luxu had, although it was already a bit of a mystery I feel like it added a bit of character to the Master of Masters as we now know him, but you're left wondering if the eye in the keyblade means he'll be coming back in the future and what his motives were.

We're meant to be on season 2 soon, so i'm hoping they explain a few more things, but I fear Backcover's setting up future Kingdom Hearts games if anything, rather than giving more context to Chi/Unchained and explain more of it.

Unchained provides more insight into unions and how they work and reveals a few things Backcover doesn't though.

Skulldead

It was really cool, very well made and engaging. Then the credit start to roll, f*** you square, when i thought it would answer to any question of the story, it just open bullshit door. They only explain the origin
of the time paradox thing from DDD
. They really don't give a s*** about the storyline.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It was really cool, very well made and engaging. Then the credit start to roll, f*** you square, when i thought it would answer to any question of the story, it just open bullshit door. They only explain the origin
of the time paradox thing from DDD
. They really don't give a s*** about the storyline.

they are obviously leaving it open for future installments including 3

Superglide, Balloonra & Curaga trvializes the secret boss. Replace Superglide with Dark Roll and the same holds true for Riku.

Neat boss choice, though. I'd like to see some similarly obscure characters show up as bosses every now and then.

Tsunamo

Superglide, Balloonra & Curaga trvializes the secret boss. Replace Superglide with Dark Roll and the same holds true for Riku.

Neat boss choice, though. I'd like to see some similarly obscure characters show up as bosses every now and then.
Yeah I loved that they went back to something similar to what Kingdom Hearts 1 did with Disney bosses (chernabog) with him.

I just hope they chuck in some other ones next time so it's not just the one. I'm sure they will in KH3 though.
Or final mix if they ever go there

Psxphile

I do kind of miss big intimidating optional Heartless boss battles. 1v1-ing Org coats gets tiring after the 13th time. I remember way back on the eve of KHII releasing how great it would be to tackle that giant Twilight Thorn (and don't get me wrong, it was a great battle) but we only ever saw it in the prologue and it remained a unique experience. No data TT to challenge.

You'll get Sephiroth with OWA for the third time and like it.

Tsunamo

I couldn't use curaga/cura, because they were red :/

Of purse I died.

Good boss, but that super jump is BS.
Stick high up on walls when he does that thunder attack and just keep on using flowmotion. Eventually he coolsdown and goes back to normal and doesn't take your commands away if you dodge him, but yeah thats probably the toughest part of the boss battle sadly.
You'll get Sephiroth with OWA for the third time and like it.
It just occured to me this may actually happen as a FFVII remake tie in/cross promo.

silva1991

Toy Story world and we get this boss

1515078-zurg.jpg

Stick high up on walls when he does that thunder attack and just keep on using flowmotion. Eventually he coolsdown and goes back to normal and doesn't take your commands away if you dodge him, but yeah thats probably the toughest part of the boss battle sadly. It just occured to me this may actually happen as a FFVII remake tie in/cross promo.

I guess I'm just so slow, because I never have the time to do that, before he reaches me.

RocknRola

Just watched Back Cover and...

... wut?

Who are these people? Who is that "Master"? WHAT'S IN THE BOX!?!?!

Help? :p

Koutsoubas

So 2017 is a dead year for Square-Enix eh? No FF7, no KH 3(i assume) and only Nier:Automata on the horizon(which I loved from the Demo dont get me wrong). Dragon Quest is Japan only

I really feel they should do EVERYTHING in their power to give us KH 3 even at the last moment, like December 31

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yo Ansem's second form in DDD can fuck right off. Also having to wait for your deck to charge after a retry is the dumbest shit.

edit: also if i quit now will I have to fight the hooded nightmare and Ansem pt. 1 again? Really need a break.

Top Bottom