• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 ReMIX |OT| Kingdom Hearts Final Port

Wow, that suck

My game crashed just when I was saving in KH2. Was so sure my save file was corrupted, thank god it wasn't.
Hey man better me than you when it comes to these kinds of things! I would not wish this on anyone. I'm glad that yours wasn't deleted though!

Now to fight the 3 reject friends over and over again on Destiny Islands heh heh...
didn't you upload it to the cloud!
It did! Well at least it was supposed to! But I only saw one save file on the Cloud and it had the wonderful "X" on gray background for an image.

Maybe I just had some rotten luck that needed to catch up to me.

Meowster

Plowed through the entire Hades cup in one go until Hades himself.. my controller glitched and accidentally guarded instead of dodge rolled. Bleh. Guess we will just try again tomorrow.

What happened?
I was saving when we got a power outage. I didn't think too much about it until I turned on the PS4 and it had to do a background check.

Finally I tried loading the save file and it gave me that error message.

Only other time this happened to me was with Assassin's Creed The Ezio Collection but at least that one had the Cloud Save backup working.

aravuus

Love the music in Twilight Town. It's nostalgic in so many ways.

Also, I might have to learn how to use Reflect if I ever want to beat Marluxia. I wanted to say "damn these gimmick bosses", but in a way, this feels like one of the least gimmicky in the whole game. Or series.

BigEmil

I was saving when we got a power outage. I didn't think too much about it until I turned on the PS4 and it had to do a background check.

Finally I tried loading the save file and it gave me that error message.

Only other time this happened to me was with Assassin's Creed The Ezio Collection but at least that one had the Cloud Save backup working.
Don't you have those surge protector sockets?

My favourite thing about KH1 staff run is that it's like old school D&D wizard. At start you kinda suck, you can hardly cast a few weak spells before you are out of MP. Then at middle game your spells skyrocket past normal attacks against normal enemies. You one shot most heartless with Fira or can clear a whole group of enemies with a Blizzara (helps a lot on those Coliseum time challenges) and you have SO much MP since Fire+Blizzard only use one yellow bar. If you start running out you just summon Bambi and you are full in a flash.

I can't imagine myself in Atlantica chasing enemies when I can just clear a room in seconds.

aravuus

The only thing I dislike about KH2's combat/magic is the way MP is handled. You barely get any more ever, and spells like cure always use all MP. Late-game mages are usually fun in JRPGs because you have so much MP you can just spam any spells you want all day.

But at least it regenerates, I guess, even if it is a bit slow.

I think a hybrid of KH1 and KH2's system would be great. In practice, I guess it would be something like... Well, KH1's system, but it regenerates when you run out lol.

Also: Final Form get. Fuck yeah, this shit is fire. Time to start grinding for exp and mats.

Slaythe

Love the music in Twilight Town. It's nostalgic in so many ways.

Also, I might have to learn how to use Reflect if I ever want to beat Marluxia. I wanted to say "damn these gimmick bosses", but in a way, this feels like one of the least gimmicky in the whole game. Or series.

You can use aerial dodge to parry and avoid most attacks, including Marluxia's !

Also, if you use an ether when you have very little mp left it restores your mp 100% while if you use it while your mp recovers, it only heals 50% of it.

In case you didn't know.

Also being out of MP charges your drive faster.

I think the magic balance is fine in 2fm.

aravuus

You can use aerial dodge to parry and avoid most attacks, including Marluxia's !

Also, if you use an ether when you have very little mp left it restores your mp 100% while if you use it while your mp recovers, it only heals 50% of it.

In case you didn't know.

Also being out of MP charges your drive faster.

I think the magic balance is fine in 2fm.

While I do love these games, I've never been particularly good at them lol, so I certainly didn't know that. Or either of those. Thanks!

Final Form grinding is beautiful with all possible lightning boosts. I'm just gliding through TWTNW like a gentle butterfly, except that this butterfly can bring down the fucking wrath of gods just like that.

Now I just gotta get more AP for those critical defense boost abilities so I actually dare to grind EXP at critical health.

With Critical Mode in Kingdom Hearts II specifically, do you still gain new skills at specific intervals when you restrict EXP gain? Or is the point of that mode to enable that and just survive the game with minimal abilities?

Burbeting

Banned
With Critical Mode in Kingdom Hearts II specifically, do you still gain new skills at specific intervals when you restrict EXP gain? Or is the point of that mode to enable that and just survive the game with minimal abilities?

You still gain all bonuses you get from defeating bosses/certain mandatory battles.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
KH1 is frustrating as hell if you don't already know what to do.

Doesn't help that the first two worlds you encounter (Wonderland and Deep Jungle) are two of the worst in the entire series. Deep Jungle in particular is complete garbage. Constant running back and forth killing trash enemies looking for cutscene triggers.

You still gain all bonuses you get from defeating bosses/certain mandatory battles.

Excellent, I may start over and enable the EXP gain restriction then, seems like it would be a fun way to revisit the game after all these years, especially since my foray into games like Spelunky and the Souls series has really impacted the level of challenge I appreciate in games since my first go at KH2 in 2006, when I was admittedly quite casual and would often start games on "Easy."

Goofy's Dream Shield is pretty bad considering the trouble of getting it lol. Dunno why they nerfed it in FM. Also the typo from 1.5 is still there, probably just copypasted from the original KH release.

My favourite thing about KH1 staff run is that it's like old school D&D wizard. At start you kinda suck, you can hardly cast a few weak spells before you are out of MP. Then at middle game your spells skyrocket past normal attacks against normal enemies. You one shot most heartless with Fira or can clear a whole group of enemies with a Blizzara (helps a lot on those Coliseum time challenges) and you have SO much MP since Fire+Blizzard only use one yellow bar. If you start running out you just summon Bambi and you are full in a flash.

I can't imagine myself in Atlantica chasing enemies when I can just clear a room in seconds.

Agreed, once you get MP Haste you start being able to cast so many more spells.

Don't you have those surge protector sockets?

surge protector isn't going to keep the system on. you need a battery backup for that. I have a huge one for all my entertainment stuff - it's great for brownouts.
Thought I did actually. Well I know for sure I have a surge protector but the battery I thought I had it. I'll check again.

Either way the important thing is that it was only this game and not every single game save file that I had. Happened once with my PS3. I refuse to let that happen again.

Anyway, anybody have any tips on how to approach Chain of Memories once I get there? Id ask Inuhanyou but he's banned.

aravuus

Wait a second, so you don't have to be in like bleeping critical HP to get the +100% EXP bonus from Gull Wing? Oh that's awesome. I guess 50% hp or less is enough?

I'm gonna be max level in no time

e: Hmm, looks like it's more like 40% HP or less.

e2: nvm I don't know how numbers work.

Thought I did actually. Well I know for sure I have a surge protector but the battery I thought I had it. I'll check again.

Either way the important thing is that it was only this game and not every single game save file that I had. Happened once with my PS3. I refuse to let that happen again.

Anyway, anybody have any tips on how to approach Chain of Memories once I get there? Id ask Inuhanyou but he's banned.
Lowest difficulty, blizzard spam,enjoy one of the best stories in the series while avoiding that combat system, profit

Report number X on new things I discovered in KH1:

After completing 100 acre woods and went to talk to Owl to get Cheer ability I talked to Pooh first. He's complaining he is cold. Light the campfire and he gives you Mythril.

Also in Wonderland the very first room has some sort of heartless arena bonus thingy I have never seen before. If you kill them all you get the puzzle complete sound and an item.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Played about half an hour of haloween grinding away and completed some of the bosses

Accidentally hit the disc eject and hadnt saved. Fuuuuu

Trying to grind so that i can finally beat ursulas second form. Shes such a broken and shitty boss

aravuus

With his newly found Blizzard knowledge, I might even give CoM a try.

... In 2 months, when I'll probably be done with Persona 5, that is.

I just spent like 10 minutes grinding sorcerers to get one Twilight Crystal, not sure if I'm gonna grind mats as much as I was planning to lol. It was in Final Form, though, no idea if Donald and Goofy's Lucky Luckys do anything when they're technically not there.

Chase17

Sora, after causing the ship to crash, just decides he doesn't care about finding donald and goofy lol

This is a kid who has priorities. (Donald has the same idea though lol)

The tiger bailing out the window was pretty funny

With his newly found Blizzard knowledge, I might even give CoM a try.

... In 2 months, when I'll probably be done with Persona 5, that is.

I just spent like 10 minutes grinding sorcerers to get one Twilight Crystal, not sure if I'm gonna grind mats as much as I was planning to lol. It was in Final Form, though, no idea if Donald and Goofy's Lucky Luckys do anything when they're technically not there.
Blizzard made com playable for me of all things idk why it's broken but eh I ain't complaining. Poor axel lol gets wrecked

Christ ansem is fucking tough the second fight...when his stand appears inside you your basically already dead. It took me 4 days to get good enough to get through the enemy gauntlet that you have to go through to even get to him.

Vashetti

Banned
wtf, just rekt every Hallow Bastion boss first try

I feel like something's up with my difficulty lol

I'm definitely on Proud

aravuus

Holy shit, should've been prepared when I entered the hallway in Cave of Remembrance lol. Just managed to pass it by the skin of my teeth, probably one of the most intense KH experiences I've ever gone through.

I hate that battle system don't mind me lol

I would say standard mode, Blizzard sleights (No, seriously. Blizzard spells do a ton of damage in CoM for some reason) Sonic Blade spam for Org. XIII bosses and Lethal Frame for everything else should get you through just fine.
Awesome. Thanks guys!

Don't take this the wrong way, but replaying through KH1 again made me remember how much I vastly prefer DDD Three Musketeers Queen Minnie to Disney Castle Queen Minnie. Just looks better for me in a design/visual way.

Just a weird thought I had.

Psxphile

Lowest difficulty, blizzard spam,enjoy one of the best stories in the series while avoiding that combat system, profit

I would say standard mode, Blizzard sleights (No, seriously. Blizzard spells do a ton of damage in CoM for some reason) Sonic Blade spam for Org. XIII bosses and Lethal Frame for everything else should get you through just fine.

Blizzard made com playable for me of all things idk why it's broken but eh I ain't complaining. Poor axel lol gets wrecked

Okay wow this is the first I'm hearing on the OP-ness of Blizzard in Re:CoM. My usual go-to strategy is to spam Fire/Blizzard Raid sleights once you get them, but that's usually not until halfway through the game. In fact, for random battles abusing sleights is the way to go. And for bosses make a separate deck and double-layer your cards so you can pull off Sonic Blade even after a first reload and plenty of Cure(a)(aga) since that'd pretty much carry you until the final boss.

More tips when spawning rooms:
- you can only carry 99 individual map cards at a time, use up duplicates once you start getting them because certain rooms require specific card numbers/types (or both) and if you don't have one you'll be forced to grind for it and let me tell you, there's nothing fun in stopping all story progress because your lack of one card is stopping you from getting to the boss. And of course each floor has different card drop rates so you might be forced to leave the current floor to find a green map card. And that resets the floor back to default so you maybe want to avoid doing that.

- Every floor has a unique (sometimes two) treasure you can claim by using a Treasure Bounty card. Usually a new Attack/Magic/Item Card and rarely, a new sleight. You need to collect these to add them to the pool of cards you can get from Moogles.

- Every floor has a "Gold" room with unique bonuses. At first you'll lack the Gold cards needed to open them but at the halfway point you'll start getting them as drops from enemies at random. You can only carry one at any time (the game won't drop anymore until you use it) so go to a previous floor and use it a.s.a.p., you'll get more cards later and the rewards are usually worth it, especially if you already watched the 358/2 Days movie.

And for leveling up: choose New Sleight every time the option comes up, every other time prioritize raising the max card limit over max HP because being able to carry more cards (like Cure) is a lot more helpful than a few HP points. But definitely improve HP every once in a while, too.

Report number X on new things I discovered in KH1:

After completing 100 acre woods and went to talk to Owl to get Cheer ability I talked to Pooh first. He's complaining he is cold. Light the campfire and he gives you Mythril.

Also in Wonderland the very first room has some sort of heartless arena bonus thingy I have never seen before. If you kill them all you get the puzzle complete sound and an item.

This happens up to three times during the course of the game, two of them during your first Wonderland run after progressing the story and one final one after your first trip to Hollow Bastion (if I recall correctly). The first two can be missed entirely if you never bothered to clear that room.

This happens up to three times during the course of the game, two of them during your first Wonderland run after progressing the story and one final one after your first trip to Hollow Bastion (if I recall correctly). The first two can be missed entirely if you never bothered to clear that room.

Is the second one in the same room tho or somewhere else in Wonderland?

What's the fastest way to level up in KH2? On PS2 I used the top of pride rock and killed all those bird things, but here it doesn't seem to be as fast. Did they change it for Final Mix?
Maybe I'm just remembering wrong.

aravuus

Fuck yeah, finally beat Marluxia. I just spammed Reflect at the end and he died to his own damage lol.

What's the fastest way to level up in KH2? On PS2 I used the top of pride rock and killed all those bird things, but here it doesn't seem to be as fast. Did they change it for Final Mix?

Running through TWTNW with Gull Wing keyblade + Experience Boost ability on at 50% or less HP seems to be the best way. Or at least one of the best.

Yeah they fixed that. Just go through The World That Never Was a bunch of times.

Chase17

Done with Deep Jungle. After I figured out how to get back to the tree camp the backtracking didn't bug me too much.

I liked the music when you are riding down the trunk.

Psxphile

Is the second one in the same room tho or somewhere else in Wonderland?

Same room. I forget what the trigger is, I think the first happens during the evidence hunt. Second time might be after you've already cleared the world or possibly just before you fight the Trickmaster (which means going to The Rabbit Hole before setting up his spawn by lighting the lanterns in the upside-down version of the Bizarre Room).

Top Bottom