• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 ReMIX |OT| Kingdom Hearts Final Port

VillageBC

Is my sound messed up in the Kingdom Hearts Final Mix? I don't recall what it should have sound like, but the game is very quiet. Very low base track, no foot step sounds, no selection sound. Everything is muted, except combat seems okay and when they are speaking.

Restarted all my devices, it just sounds like it's mixed wrong.

Meowster

I like Naminé and that one girl whose name I can't recall (am I imagining things?) better than Kairi tbh. My hope for III is that they'll actually give her something to do because she's been really boring so far compared to everyone else. But I have barely played Dream Drop Distance so maybe that game is better with it?

gdt

Beat the tall dude in Wonderland. Now the Coliseum is kicking my ass. Specifically fight 6 with the big dude.

Wow, I really can't believe how terribly designed the 2nd boss fight with Ursula is.
Loaded up everyone with items including several Elixirs and one Megalixir for myself. It's pretty demoralizing to get hit with lightning everytime you try to cast a spell / use an item / etc

I like Naminé and that one girl whose name I can't recall (am I imagining things?) better than Kairi tbh. My hope for III is that they'll actually give her something to do because she's been really boring so far compared to everyone else. But I have barely played Dream Drop Distance so maybe that game is better with it?
DDD sets her up. It's up to 3 to follow up or fall completely flat and get shit on(at least by me) for it

Wow, I really can't believe how terribly designed the 2nd boss fight with Ursula is.
Loaded up everyone with items including several Elixirs and one Megalixir for myself. It's pretty demoralizing to get hit with lightning everytime you try to cast a spell / use an item / etc

Alot of boss fights are exercises in "fuck you do better" like a souls title...except not as fair and some of them with even less margin for error

Are you using Aero?

aravuus

Alot of boss fights are exercises in "fuck you do better" like a souls title...except not as fair and some of them with even less margin for error

Having recently played and finished Bloodborne and Nioh,

yeah

yep

some of the KH bosses are some real bullshit

I feel this way about some of the regular enemies too, though. I've never figured out just what the hell I'm supposed to do when a trash mob starts stunlocking me for like months.

Anoxida

13 hours in. The world/level design on every single world except for traversetown has been well below mediocre. I really hope there's some good world coming up because this backtracking between 5-6 areas is starting to get annoying. I'm towards the end of atlantica I think.. I really hope it's over soon since I'm not enjoying my time there at all. I'm playing sorely for the story and the bosses at the moment.

13 hours in. The world/level design on every single world except for traversetown has been well below mediocre. I really hope there's some good world coming up because this backtracking between 5-6 areas is starting to get annoying. I'm towards the end of atlantica I think.. I really hope it's over soon since I'm not enjoying my time there at all. I'm playing sorely for the story and the bosses at the moment.

The best world in the game is the 2nd to last one, hang in there.
They are much better in KH2 as well

Just hang on! KH2 is better in my opinion!

Although that really shouldn't be used as a reason to make someone play the series.

Kinda, yeah. Ursula's 100% about using Dolphin Kick to evade a lot of her attacks (not just the one where she sucks you in and bites you). Nearly everything she does has a tell, but the passive lightning attacks that hit you with only about a half second of warning really do suck a lot.

Anoxida

Just hang on! KH2 is better in my opinion!

Although that really shouldn't be used as a reason to make someone play the series.

Well, there are parts of KH1 that I enjoy and parts that annoy me. I kinda wanna see it through though but we'll see. I'll be taking a break from the game indefinitely when Persona 5 hits. I suspect I'll end up finishing atlantica and one more world then watch the rest of the story on youtube then head back in playing KH2 when I'm done with persona 5. Everyone's saying KH2 is so much better so looking forward to it. I played BBS for about 10-15 hours as well when it first came out and I really enjoyed that but performance + portable controls kinda held me back from finishing it, that shouldn't be a problem now.

Edit:
Oh whoops. I thought he was talking about the world design in general.

I was.

aravuus

I believe Atlantica can at least be skipped, as long as you do Monstro and Halloween Town.

Now I'm wondering why the hell didn't I just skip it myself on Friday.

Well, there are parts of KH1 that I enjoy and parts that annoy me. I kinda wanna see it through though but we'll see. I'll be taking a break from the game indefinitely when Persona 5 hits. I suspect I'll end up finishing atlantica and one more world then watch the rest of the story on youtube then head back in playing KH2 when I'm done with persona 5. Everyone's saying KH2 is so much better so looking forward to it. I played BBS for about 10-15 hours as well when it first came out and I really enjoyed that but performance + portable controls kinda held me back from finishing it, that shouldn't be a problem now.

KH2 is infinitely better in every respect - level design wise is debatable and depends on whether you like maze-like levels (KH1) or more linear ones (KH2) more. But it sounds like you might enjoy KH2's more linear levels more.

I always feel like Ursula 2 being hard is some inside joke I'm not in on, because I've never had a problem fighting her at all.
The first rule of having a generally well accepted hard boss is to have someone say "I never had a problem with her"

Therefore in conclusion Ursula is confirmed a shitty boss

Anoxida

I believe Atlantica can at least be skipped, as long as you do Monstro and Halloween Town.

Now I'm wondering why the hell didn't I just skip it myself on Friday.

KH2 is infinitely better in every respect - level design wise is debatable and depends on whether you like maze-like levels (KH1) or more linear ones (KH2) more. But it sounds like you might enjoy KH2's more linear levels more.

It's the backtracking that's annoying me mostly. And I dont mean the kind in which you go back to the world later to unlock new shit but actually going back and forth 7 times because the story tells you to. If there's less of that in KH2 then I'm bless. And yeah less mazes = good.

Psxphile

I pretty much just tank it. Throw on every thunder-resistant armor you got up to that point and whale on her. Maybe Aero too if you can afford the MP.

I pretty much just tank it. Throw on every thunder-resistant armor you got up to that point and whale on her. Maybe Aero too if you can afford the MP.

Ended up clearing it just now. Took a break and went and did the Pegasus cup, bought new weapons for Goofy and Donald, swapped out acessories... I guess all that stuff put me over the line for being able to 'brute force' it.

benzopil

Worlds are so small in KH1, backtracking isn't an issue for me at all. Strange that it is for some people.

First time playing, got my Warp Drive just now.

Worlds are so small in KH1, backtracking isn't an issue for me at all. Strange that it is for some people.

First time playing, got my Warp Drive just now.
It's really just Wonderland and Deep Jungle where it's sort of an issue. They both signpost where you're supposed to go next, but occasionally that happens in a missable line in a cutscene *or* in a conversation with an NPC *or* with the camera lingering on where you're supposed to go next at the end of a cutscene. Atlantica and Agrabah are equally bad about that, but they're also structured in a more linear fashion so that there are areas that are effectively further into the story than others and it's simpler to guess correctly at where you should go next.

KH1 Agrabah remains probably the best-designed world in the series, I think (I really love Hollow Bastion in that game too, but it's trickier to navigate on revisits and it's clearly in a different class from the rest - still, I'd love a final 'dungeon' as complex as that one again in KH3). Lots of verticality, platforming is challenging but not about pixel-perfect jumps like the Deep Jungle hippo room, plenty of puzzles to unlock new approaches to existing areas, High Jump and Glide open up new paths and reveal new chests on revisits, et cetera. So good.

ps I miss the progression-gating of the Trinity abilities, by the way, and that one dude who *liked* that flowmotion basically removes any kind of progression or platforming and just straight up gives you every chest and lets you overpower any encounter on normal difficulty and was like "just don't use it if you don't like it" can s my d

Azuran

Banned
It's the backtracking that's annoying me mostly. And I dont mean the kind in which you go back to the world later to unlock new shit but actually going back and forth 7 times because the story tells you to. If there's less of that in KH2 then I'm bless. And yeah less mazes = good.

KH2 has plenty of worlds like that. I hope you like seeing the same three corridors plenty of times.

Amherst_Wind

Neo Member
I need an opinion on game order, specifically if it makes sense to do this: finish CoM, play KH2 prologue, watch Days, continue KH2.
I've played them myself when they originally released in their original release order but someone else is watching me play through it for the first time and I feel like Days would spoil 2, especially the mystery of 2's prologue. Any opinions?

JayEH

I need an opinion on game order, specifically if it makes sense to do this: finish CoM, play KH2 prologue, watch Days, continue KH2.
I've played them myself when they originally released in their original release order but someone else is watching me play through it for the first time and I feel like Days would spoil 2, especially the mystery of 2's prologue. Any opinions?

i would just save days after KH2.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Anybody having screen size issues with Kingdom Hearts I? Just started last night and I've been trying to go find ways to fix the size of it since it isn't taking up my entire TV. Any suggestions?

Check your screen size settings in the PS4 menus. This game takes the screen size setting as a cue for how big to make its display rather than most games, which just use it to know where to put the HUD elements.

Expand it out to the very edges and restart KH and it should fill the screen now.

TKM

KH1 made me physically ill yesterday. Maybe it's because I just platinum'd NieR Automata and faced a jarring transition. The camera, platforming, and tiny rooms of Wonderland gave me a headache. I don't recall ever having any problems with the PS2 version 15 years ago. Deleted my 0% trophy list and gave up on the game.

4 hours into KH2 today, and the open spaces and freer camera control are much appreciated.

BHK3

Banned
I always feel like Ursula 2 being hard is some inside joke I'm not in on, because I've never had a problem fighting her at all.
I feel like bad level design and hard bosses are an inside joke. Outside wonderland and deep jungle I never had an issue with any level, and the only boss to give me issues was pot centipede.

Top Bottom