• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 ReMIX |OT| Kingdom Hearts Final Port

Its so weird playing KH now for me.

I don't remember how I played it way back in the PS2 days but now I approach KH boss fights and one on ones like I am playing a souls game. Always managing the positioning between me and the enemy. Always being conservative with my combo attacks. Avoiding being greedy. Managing the small amount of potions I have.

I really like the one on one fight with Rikku. I dont think I was able to beat him before as a kid. Now its a piece of cake as long as I approach it like I am playing dark souls. Fighting cerberus in the Colosseum was rough the first time, then I applied the dark souls approach again by managing my positioning and it was not so hard albeit a bit too long without a health bar.

When I really think about it I might dislike nearly every level in KH1.
It's kinda bad because I'm simultaneously playing kh1 and bbs so for example being on a boring pirate ship in never land compared to the actual never land is getting to me(kh1 let's you fly tho so instant points towards that

It's kinda bad because I'm simultaneously playing kh1 and bbs so for example being on a boring pirate ship in never land compared to the actual never land is getting to me(kh1 let's you fly tho so instant points towards that
image.php

Eh? Eh? Get it? Pirate ship?

I'll stop now. Just need to get through 1 and Chain of Memories before I can hit 358/2 Days (adventures of Roxas and tsundere Axel. No one else) and Kingdom Hearts II.

ViciousDS

Banned
god.....kh1's combat flow is so bad compared to 2. I just feel like I don't have complete control. Proud mode run aint helping either lol

god.....kh1's combat flow is so bad compared to 2. I just feel like I don't have complete control. Proud mode run aint helping either lol

I feel the same way. Debating if I should just skip to the next game because certain fights in KH1 on Proud feel like a chore…

Burbeting

Banned
Some (most) of the KH1 worlds have aged pretty poorly. I remember on my ps3 playthrough being only truly enjoyable from Neverland onwards.

MoxManiac

I was going to 100% KH1 (again) but the end-game grind is killing me. I may just move on to the next game.

KH1 is the only KH game I've finished previously. I played about a third into KH2 way back in the day but forgot most of it. Never played the others. Kinda anxious to move on.

When did this collection come out? The last thing I remember hearing about KH was 2.8.

Earlier last week, March 28. I think it was announced back in November? Or somewhere around then.

So yeah, I.5, II.5, and II.8 all available on a single platform now. As someone who hadn't played a Kingdom Hearts game to completion since the original release of KH2 on PS2, to me it seems like these ports are solid. I came real close to importing a PS2 for cheap from Japan in 2008 along with the Final Mix versions of KH1 and KH2, but I'm glad this is the way that I'm now playing the Final Mix versions now. Also nice to play BbS and DDD in high def on my monitor with a proper controller rather than on portables -- never finished either one.

aravuus

When I really think about it I might dislike nearly every level in KH1.

I'm not a fan either. Hollow Bastion and the Halloween Town are alright, kinda like the Peter Pan world too though probably mainly for the story content, but other than that, my KH1 replays always go like, start a world -> after 5 minutes start going "oh yeah oh christ this is how this world was" -> rush through the world and finish, thinking "thank god that's over and done with, finally on to the GOOD worlds"

Rinse and repeat

And so I've never 100%'d KH1, either. I always get myself all pumped up for it before starting a series replay (usually actually just KH1 and KH2 lol) and then the above happens. Not sure if I've ever beaten even one of the optional super bosses. I usually play most of the Coliseum stuff, though. I'm kind of a sucker for that sort of optional content in JRPGs.

I think that for the first time in forever I noticed just how jarring the camera is at times in KH1. I rarely if ever notice these kind of things so it's really mind boggling!

Meowster

I love Neverland even if it is just a ship. Being able to fly around Big Ben is something else. Plus it gives you the greatest summon in the history of summons, Tinkerbell. I don't think I would have been able to beat Parasite Cage or Dragon Maleficent when I was little without her mesmerizing power.

aravuus

I don't think you even get anything else out of Atlantica in KH2 but the Orichalcum+? I guess there are a few puzzle pieces too, but you don't have to endure the fuck-awful songs to get those.

I noticed there's one good thing about the sequel Atlantica, though - the prompts during the songs seem randomly placed and not really to the beat at all, so they're still super easy even when muted.

if i was Sora, i would've beat Neptune's ass after he smashed the crystal trident. could've locked up the world ages ago.

I fucking hated Neptune as a kid lmao

Strings

Tarzan world in KH1 is by far my most hated world in the entire series.

It's not my favourite, but Akiyama literally begged to get it in / only worked on the game because he adored the animated Tarzan movie so much and wanted to do the cutscenes for it.

Also, KH2 Atlantica is too surreal for me to hate. It's just so fucking bizarre, and they really went all in on it.

The only 'gimmick' world I absolutely adore / won't let anyone besmirch is Winnie the Pooh. Sora randomly fits in so well with the cast, and it's soooooo fucking adorable. Forgetful Pooh in KH2 is also really, really sad :(

EDIT: The original Monstro level is probably my least favourite in the series, despite being a rad idea for an area. They could have really played around with what you encounter in there, but it just ends up being a series of lookalike rooms.

aravuus

The sequel 100 Acre Wood is great. Nice little story with easy but enjoyable minigames.

The 100 Acre Wood minigames of the original were literally made by Satan.

e: also Monstro got infinitely better when you realized the doors you need to go through to progress glow green

Meowster

Okay.. level 90 and I've synthesized every item, beat Hades Cup, Ice Titan, Kurt Zisa, the Phantom, Xemnas, and am at the end of the world. Sleep time for now and then I'll attempt Sephiroth again and finish all the way to 100. And then I'll beat the game. And then I'll do the solo and timed challenges of the Hades Cup which is already freaking me out.

SoulUnison

Banned
The only 'gimmick' world I absolutely adore / won't let anyone besmirch is Winnie the Pooh. Sora randomly fits in so well with the cast, and it's soooooo fucking adorable. Forgetful Pooh in KH2 is also really, really sad :(

Sora is Anime!Christopher Robin.

LAA

Progressing through KH1 pretty well so far. About to go to Hollow Bastion.
Had minimum issues so far tbh. No crashes yet.
Only things I'm not so sure about if they are real issues or not is it feels orbs disappear quicker than I remember and the ursula boss fights seemed worse than I remembered. Musing magic on the cauldron didn't always cause the blast (not really sure how that mechanic works though), and Giant Ursula sometimes didn't play her line when she does the lightning attack around her and in general, the lightning attacks that happen throughout the fight seemed to happen more than I remember, so that you couldn't attack her as much. It's all based on my memories of it though, so hard to tell if they're really issues or not.

Rizzi

I don't think Kingdom Hearts is a very good game. Clunky as hell, awful combat and a camera that borders on schizophrenic. I kind of hate it.

Aru

I love Neverland even if it is just a ship. Being able to fly around Big Ben is something else. Plus it gives you the greatest summon in the history of summons, Tinkerbell. I don't think I would have been able to beat Parasite Cage or Dragon Maleficent when I was little without her mesmerizing power.

That's an odd way to spell Stitch.
I know it's a summon from KH2, but still it's the best summon ever.
Wouldn't have beaten
Lingering Will
without it.

aravuus

I don't think Kingdom Hearts is a very good game. Clunky as hell, awful combat and a camera that borders on schizophrenic. I kind of hate it.

It's by far the worst of my all-time favorites lol

It's kind of weird to call it one of my all-time favorites, cause I really do find it merely tolerable these days, and the only reason I replay it is to make playing KH2 feel more natural. I guess it's up there only because of nostalgia, but it'd be even weirder somehow to not include it in my favorites.

2FM, on the other hand, is easily one of my favorite JRPGs gameplay-wise alone, and I love the convoluted story even though some parts of it, particularly all the friendship is power stuff, have started getting a bit more eye roll-y for me in recent years.

Spy

I still haven't touched this game since I completed Atlantis and have no desire to, lol. That area is a complete mood killer, I forgot how bad it was.

Top Bottom