• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 ReMIX |OT| Kingdom Hearts Final Port

Anyone have any good starting tips for Chain of Memories?

I feel like i'm not quite grasping it.

Almost done with kh1, never played the card game before but I really want to play kh2 again...

I'm at the end of Kingdom Hearts as well but hit a bit of a wall, i'm playing Chain of Memories to break things up a little - its my first time too. The only game i ever finished was Kingdom Hearts 2 back in the day, i watched an old partner play through 1.

Is the story between 1 and 2 really THAT bad and dumb as people claim? I never got to finish the first game and I want to return, but that reputation concerns me.

Is the story between 1 and 2 really THAT bad and dumb as people claim? I never got to finish the first game and I want to return, but that reputation concerns me.

I'd say its more ridiculous than it is dumb. If you have some nostalgia for the franchise i'm sure you'd enjoy coming back. I'm just finishing my very first run of Kingdom Hearts 1 and found it really enjoyable, i'm at the end of the final world now - though i am finding it harder than i expected, kinda wished i'd have played on easy just to get to the other entries quicker.

I'd say its more ridiculous than it is dumb. If you have some nostalgia for the franchise i'm sure you'd enjoy coming back. I'm just finishing my very first run of Kingdom Hearts 1 and found it really enjoyable, i'm at the end of the final world now - though i am finding it harder than i expected, kinda wished i'd have played on easy just to get to the other entries quicker.

It's almost impossible to comprehend.

Okay... Thanks. Kind of bummed about that tbh. My wife wants to watch and I'm afraid it'll turn her off.

Probably a good choice. I was playing KH1 with my niece and she started crying because I couldn't explain why Donald's hat has a zipper and a belt.

"well you see, the man who created these costumes has a zipper fetish. i think he had his junk caught in a zipper once and it just took off from there."

Rizzi

Donald seems to do nothing useful, the person who said playing on proud is the only way to play the game is an ass, and the gummi ship stuff is atrocious.

Tensketch

Clocked in 12 hours on KH1 over the weekend. Forgot how much I love this game. Cannot wait to play Chain and Birth.
I had much, much less patience when I was younger and played this, I started dying so easily against bosses. I'm glad I'm picking this up much easier.

One question, is it ever worth taking the extra party members? From what I recall, the party member you leave behind doesn't level, so wouldn't it be better to keep them with you constantly?

I just finished KH2FM yesterday for the nth time.

My playthrough was on critical and it took me about 13 hours.

I never experienced any kind of bug except maybe some weird animations of specific enemies like those flying cylinders on disney's castle and the enemies on the 1000 heartless fight, maybe because of the 60fps.
Man speaking about 60 fps, it was pretty rad.
I think the playthrough was totally worth it for that reason alone.Even the gummi ship missions were pretty fun playing them on 60fps.

I probably will try to platinum KH2 again but another time because today arrives P5, so I will be pretty busy for the upcoming weeks xD

Clocked in 12 hours on KH1 over the weekend. Forgot how much I love this game. Cannot wait to play Chain and Birth.
I had much, much less patience when I was younger and played this, I started dying so easily against bosses. I'm glad I'm picking this up much easier.

One question, is it ever worth taking the extra party members? From what I recall, the party member you leave behind doesn't level, so wouldn't it be better to keep them with you constantly?

They do level up. The only problem is that you cannot use Trinities with the quest characters. But for example Aladdin can activate some switches that you can't and Ariel is a great party member in a world with only just 1 white trinity you can't activate anyway when you first arrive there.

Tensketch

They do level up. The only problem is that you cannot use Trinities with the quest characters. But for example Aladdin can activate some switches that you can't and Ariel is a great party member in a world with only just 1 white trinity you can't activate anyway when you first arrive there.

So if I take ariel and leave goofy/donald behind, goofy/donald will still receive XP to level?

Also, there are switches for aladdin? I had no idea!

e: also Monstro got infinitely better when you realized the doors you need to go through to progress glow green
Yo WHAT

Just picked it up, will keep this in mind

So if I take ariel and leave goofy/donald behind, goofy/donald will still receive XP to level?

Also, there are switches for aladdin? I had no idea!
Everyone gets EXP, even inactive party members. If you don't use Ariel at all she'll still level up with the main three.

And yeah, several characters have specific actions in their worlds. I want to say Aladdin and Ariel? And you need Peter Pan in your party to fight an optional boss.

aravuus

I might try diving into Re:COM in a minute. Nothing to do almost all day, I need to do something so I can survive until tomorrow and P5.

Yo WHAT

Just picked it up, will keep this in mind

Yeah, just found out about this a couple of days ago myself. I ran through the area to the boss in like a couple of minutes lol.

Burbeting

Banned
I picked this up over the weekend and have never played a Kingdom Hearts game. What can I expect?

In terms of individual games:

KH1 - Hasn't aged very well mechanics/level design wise, but the plot is pretty fun light-hearted romp. You might not want to play it on hardest difficulty due to clunkyness. The game does offer sense of discovery the other games lack.

Chain of Memories: Story is pretty worthless, although some dialogue is good. Gameplay is heavily hit and miss, since its card based. Level design is non-existent due to being originally a GBA game. So the battle system is more or less make or break.

KH2: Story starts to go off the rails here, but it's still fairly simple to follow for the most part. Combat is best in the series, especially on the highest difficulty. Level design is very flat and non-exploration heavy compared to KH1 which can be plus or a minus. Has some really neat post game.

BBS: PSP game port, so has some technical limitations. Battle system pushes towards customisation, but it can broken extremely easily, which can make it bad for some people (including me). Heavily YMMV.

The two HD movies are okay, but they are definitely side stories.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Chain of Memories has the best story in the series.

Teggy

So something I forgot to mention, in the ps2 version of kh if you left it at the menu it would play that attract mode with the really great orchestral piece, but with FM I think when I chose kh1 it jumped right into the jpop and I haven't heard any of that great theme 15 hours in yet.

Edit: this https://youtu.be/cUZSbaflxGU

Edit 2: since this says final mix at the end I guess it is in there somewhere and I just missed it.

OmegaDL50

I'm finally done with Atlantica!

I've locked the Keyholes in the following worlds - Traverse Town, Deep Jungle, Agrabah, Wonderland. I've finished the events of Monstro as well.

Coliseum Progress, I'm currently working on getting through the Pegasus Cup.

My team is leveled roughly 32 to 35, and I'm now about to go to Halloween Town.

About 50% of all of the Dalmatians rescued. I'd say I'm just roughly 60% of the game finished.

I hope to be totally done with KH1 by the end of the day or after work tomorrow.

aravuus

Okay, I love the regular battle theme in TWTNW a LOT. Probably remixed, will have to listen to the original again too, but I think this might be my favorite battle theme in the game overall.

What's the stat cap in KH2, again? 255? Would be hilarious to try the end-game bosses with a strength of 255.

Cruxist

Are there any optional things in kh1 required to get the full story or is just finishing the game enough?

Just get the optional boss in Hollow Bastion. A great fight and also makes one of the Kingdom Hearts 2 cutscenes make more sense.

If I have never touched these games before, would you recommend going back and playing them? I'm not a huge Disney guy, but I do enjoy a good ARPG (FFX is one of my favorite for example).

I do enjoy a good ARPG

wat-if-i-told-you-wat.jpg

aravuus

Wow, getting to lvl99 was really easy in TWTNW. Quite a lot of fun too, this might've been a bit slower than the pride rocks trick but it was a hell of a lot more fun.

Azuran

Banned
Chain of Memories: Story is pretty worthless, although some dialogue is good. Gameplay is heavily hit and miss, since its card based. Level design is non-existent due to being originally a GBA game. So the battle system is more or less make or break.

CoM had a worthless story? Since when?

It's probably one of the best ones in the series because it's not as nonsensical and has plenty of backstabbing going on. Axel carries that game like a boss.

Kingdom Hearts 1 is one of the worst games I have ever played so skip right to KH2. It's pretty gud.

I laughed out loud at that first sentence
It's funny, because the more I think about KH1 the less and less I like it. I still enjoy playing it but looking at it objectively it just isn't a good game.

Top Bottom