• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 ReMIX |OT| Kingdom Hearts Final Port

Anoxida

Level design in KH2 is trash unless you're a fan of FF13's corridors. On the other hand, the combat is arguably one of the best in ARPGs history.

Story is well... I don't even know where to begin. If you're planning on skipping CoM, then you're probably going to hate the beginning because nothing will make sense. Actually, I take that back, nothing makes sense in KH2 unless you're really deep into the lore of the series and analyzed the hell out of the previous two games, and that only gives you some background information to work with so you can make informed predictions at where things may be going.

Other than that, prepare to be lost throughout the entire game.

Watching chain of memories on youtube. Read the Ansem reports.
I grasp the concept of nobody and somebody and that the organizations consists of nobodies?
Not sure if that's enough to understand what's going on though.

We'll see how I feel about KH2. I'm mostly playing through the series because I think KH3 could be an excellent game and I want to be able to understand at least some of it when it comes out. Also I look forward to BBS because I played it on PSP even though I didnt understand the story I remember I very much enjoyed playing it, never finished it though.

Twookie

started KH1 yesterday. It's one of my favorite games of all time and I was pleasantly surprised when I found out it ran in 60fps.

but my goodness gracious, the camera is absolutely awful holy shit. On ps2 you could only control the camera with l2 and r2 I believe, so at first I was very happy that it was now on the right stick instead but after trying it I'm not so sure anymore. The camera feels so unresponsive and awkward to use

still, I'm very looking forward to replaying it again.

haven't installed the patch yet though(I probably should), so I hope it's a good patch and that it fixes a lot of stuff.

Iokis

Finished KH for the first time, gameplay-wise it hasn't aged well but I still enjoyed myself for the most part, apart from some very obnoxiously designed boss fights. I also have the feeling that choosing the sword and binning the staff was the worst possible choice I could have made (hey, I like to melee in all my games) but by the time I came around to this line of thinking I was about three quarters through and decided to see it out.

Immediately bounced off the combat system in CoM, but I looked up a guide and things got a little smoother once I knew more about what the hell I'm doing. However, having a system where you need to avoid attacks in real time and pick out specific cards for sleights and/or card breaks seems at odds with itself - either a simple system in real-time or a complex one that's turn based, a complex real-time system seems to spell trouble to me. Still, I'll keep going and if it gets too much I'll drop it and YouTube the rest if the game.

I'm just here to see what the fuss is about and enjoy the story, I don't have nearly enough time to consider trophies and the like.

LycanXIII

That fight's tough mainly when he starts seriously spamming bullets (it feels like the game really should've made it more likely that you'd have second chance/leaf bracer/once more by that point), but it's a good (if heavy-handed) tutorial in how to abuse shoot locks for their invincibility frames IMO.

Yeah, I grinded another 10 levels and it wasn't bad after that.

I forgot that KHII was a series of box rooms and spawns. So much fun, but so uninspired on the Disney worlds front. It's also..Easier then I remember? I don't know if it's a Final Mix thing or if I'm just more well versed at the genre now, but I'm playing on standard and just hit Space Paranoids at level 29. I would like to grind for some of the optional fights and stuff but I don't want it to ruin the rest of the main game, which if I recall naturally puts you at around the mid 50's at end game

iosefe

I forgot that KHII was a series of box rooms and spawns. So much fun, but so uninspired on the Disney worlds front. It's also..Easier then I remember? I don't know if it's a Final Mix thing or if I'm just more well versed at the genre now, but I'm playing on standard and just hit Space Paranoids at level 29. I would like to grind for some of the optional fights and stuff but I don't want it to ruin the rest of the main game, which if I recall naturally puts you at around the mid 50's at end game
Scrap your save, play critical

Or don't

It's about the same levels as on the PS2. You rush through each world, but most of them are memorable in some way.

Or don't

No... Do it :D

Meowster

My critical run last month cemented Kingdom Hearts II as one of my all time favorite games so I recommend it to anyone that is truly interested. It isn't that hard (even found it easier at times to Proud) and you really get to learn all the intricacies of the combat. I still can't believe I was able to beat the Data Organization. Gosh, if it weren't so soon, I'd be willing to do it all again.

Or don't

It's about the same levels as on the PS2. You rush through each world, but most of them are memorable in some way.

No... Do it :D
I figured the balancing must be about the same. Oh well.
If I had estimated how easy this would be a few worlds ago I might have restarted. At this point I want nothing less than to do first world visits again. I might just put some artificial limits on myself and see if it helps.This is really a beloved game to me overall so I don't mind too much

I figured the balancing must be about the same. Oh well.
If I had estimated how easy this would be a few worlds ago I might have restarted. At this point I want nothing less than to do first world visits again. I might just put some artificial limits on myself and see if it helps.This is really a beloved game to me overall so I don't mind too much

KH2 is one of my favorite games of all time, and I thought Proud was a good difficulty, but with the collection, I finally got to try Critical.

It feels like a different, better game.

Critical makes everyone tougher, including you. So rather than just ramp up enemy damage, they also give you access to a huge amount of abilities and AP, so you get as tough as the enemies.

It's worth hopping into, if you're unsure

NullKaze

KH2 is one of my favorite games of all time, and I thought Proud was a good difficulty, but with the collection, I finally got to try Critical.

It feels like a different, better game.

Critical makes everyone tougher, including you. So rather than just ramp up enemy damage, they also give you access to a huge amount of abilities and AP, so you get as tough as the enemies.

It's worth hopping into, if you're unsure

And then play level one :D

(Or play the Data Org/LS without Once More/Second Chance)

Just finished the secret episode in BBS. So Birth By Sleep Vol. 2 later became 0.2, right? I ask because the scenes at the end looked like cutscenes from KH1 and KH2 that were cut, like Riku holding Kairi on the clock tower and DiZ monitoring Sora. I was a bit confused seeing those.

Just finished the secret episode in BBS. So Birth By Sleep Vol. 2 later became 0.2, right? I ask because the scenes at the end looked like cutscenes from KH1 and KH2 that were cut, like Riku holding Kairi on the clock tower and DiZ monitoring Sora. I was a bit confused seeing those.

short answer: yes

Watching 358/2 movie and I can't help but feel that I wish it was playable. The whole expanded story on the organization is pretty cool---would love see SE remake the game like chain of memories someday.

Fauve

Playing CoM right now and the game just crashed while I was entering a room in Monstro. Causing me to have to redo about 40 minutes of gameplay and the parasite cage. Has anyone had any experiences with crashing in this game? All I've heard was KH2 having an issue.

I've always found those Moment's Reprieve cards not so useful in my playthroughs, but I guess now I'll have to make use of them.

Anoxida

Started KH2 and reached the mulan world. Enjoying this way more than KH1. I was suprised what a huge upgrade 2 is to 1 across the board. The story is going full fucking anime though but I was prepared for that. So far I feel like im understanding whats going on.

I think ive made a huge mistake in kingdom hearts 2. I planned on doing a critical mode playthrough, completing everything for platinum so only one run was needed. I dont think I fully grasped what critical mode was. Does stuff kill you in 2-3 hits no matter how over leveled u are? I wasnt really having any issues at all, then I got to the first olympus cup and it hit me like a brick wall. I think I may start over and do a 100% run on standard, then finish up this critical mode as a speed run later.

Burbeting

Banned
Critical is the glass cannon mode. You put out good damage, but you also die easily. The game expects you to learn to evade enemy attacks.

Captcha

I think ive made a huge mistake in kingdom hearts 2. I planned on doing a critical mode playthrough, completing everything for platinum so only one run was needed. I dont think I fully grasped what critical mode was. Does stuff kill you in 2-3 hits no matter how over leveled u are? I wasnt really having any issues at all, then I got to the first olympus cup and it hit me like a brick wall. I think I may start over and do a 100% run on standard, then finish up this critical mode as a speed run later.

No, the starting levels of all KH critical modes are brutal, but you can out level the difficulty. Like on KH2, I must've wiped to that defend the gate portion near the start of the game a half dozen times, but it gets way, way easier.

Critical is the glass cannon mode. You put out good damage, but you also die easily. The game expects you to learn to evade enemy attacks.

No, the starting levels of all KH critical modes are brutal, but you can out level the difficulty. Like on KH2, I must've wiped to that defend the gate portion near the start of the game a half dozen times, but it gets way, way easier.

hmmm, seems conflicting. So I eventually will just be able to power through everything if im high enough level?

I might keep at critical and keep leveling for now then

Captcha

hmmm, seems conflicting. So I eventually will just be able to power through everything if im high enough level?

He is right you do die more easily, but it's not really an issue at level 99. I did everything that game had to offer at critical lvl99 and it wasn't too bad unless you decide not to cheese
Terra

NateDog

Yeah the first while will be tough but you'll get to a point where it becomes easier, but it's not really a case of becoming overlevelled and obliterating everything unless you're talking about returning to areas with early enemies, as said above a lot of it is about learning to dodge and block at the right times. You'll still have high damage but you'll continue to take it and die too if you just try smash your way through.

Philippo

Got 2- 3 hours into CoM, not really feeling the combat in 3D, it feels to chaotic and most of the time i just get all my cards countered. Is there a strategy to cheese through the game?

Got 2- 3 hours into CoM, not really feeling the combat in 3D, it feels to chaotic and most of the time i just get all my cards countered. Is there a strategy to cheese through the game?

Beat Agrabah as soon as possible. Add Genie-Jafar to your deck. It makes it so your cards cannot be broken for awhile. Makes it so you can just bum rush most encounters. Also makes endgame sleights like Ars Arcanum impossible for your opponent to break. Also run the sleight Lethal Frame as soon as you get it. Let's you burn through an entire bar of most bosses health. Makes the endgame fights a breeze.

I'd also recommend Beginner mode for people not that invested in the combat system. It'll require less level grinding and I've found the drop rates for the game's Joker Cards to be higher on it. Jokers are useful when the game has a door that requires "50 points" or something really specific to open.

Tiu Neo

Well, just need to beat the final boss on KH1 to get the platinum. Then CoM it is, will be playing it for the first time. Wish I knew the trophies stacked in this version beforehand, it would save me a few hours.

I was thinking of playing CoM directly on proud so I could get over with it asap, but maybe I'll do a Beginner or Standard run before to feel the combat system.

Well, just need to beat the final boss on KH1 to get the platinum. Then CoM it is, will be playing it for the first time. Wish I knew the trophies stacked in this version beforehand, it would save me a few hours.

I was thinking of playing CoM directly on proud so I could get over with it asap, but maybe I'll do a Beginner or Standard run before to feel the combat system.

I had never played CoM before and started on proud. I thought it was pretty easy. There is an insane difficulty spike at a certain point, but once u get over that its smooth sailing. And then rikus story was just easy all the way. If you want the plat the fastest way possible, id just do proud. Have fun grinding all the cards.

Tiu Neo

I had never played CoM before and started on proud. I thought it was pretty easy. There is an insane difficulty spike at a certain point, but once u get over that its smooth sailing. And then rikus story was just easy all the way. If you want the plat the fastest way possible, id just do proud. Have fun grinding all the cards.

Yeah, I'll do that, then, thanks!

Twilight Town II first fight against Beserker nobodies is making me extremely angry. It's to the point where I'm yelling at the TV. Whomever thought fighting waves of these fuckers this early in the game was fair should be fired and never allowed to make games again. Fucking tired of getting to the last wave only to be ganged up on by 3 of these assholes. Donald and Goofy are useless, there's no time to heal with items, the cool down on the new healing sucks compared to KH1...there's just so much wrong with this. It is literally ruining the game for me and this series is plagued by bullshit bosses and difficulty spikes.

Twilight Town II first fight against Beserker nobodies is making me extremely angry. It's to the point where I'm yelling at the TV. Whomever thought fighting waves of these fuckers this early in the game was fair should be fired and never allowed to make games again. Fucking tired of getting to the last wave only to be ganged up on by 3 of these assholes. Donald and Goofy are useless, there's no time to heal with items, the cool down on the new healing sucks compared to KH1...there's just so much wrong with this. It is literally ruining the game for me and this series is plagued by bullshit bosses and difficulty spikes.

Berserkers are easy, use the reaction command to grab the sword, and then kill them with it. While you have it you don't take damage and you combo them out of almost anything they are doing.

Berserkers are easy, use the reaction command to grab the sword, and then kill them with it. While you have it you don't take damage and you combo them out of almost anything they are doing.

No they are not easy. I'm playing on standard and have been trying to beat this damn encounter for the past hour so "gg they're easy" is the last freaking thing I want to hear right now. Taking down one isn't a problem but when 3 spawn it's ridiculous and unfair this early in the game. They use this lame ass attack where they stab the ground with the sword and then hit you which can kill me in one combo string. Even if I avoid one there's the other two hitting me from blind spots or just waiting until I dodge the first. Reaction command doesn't even take them down to half health if I use it 3 times in a row (then they get the sword back). I'm so mad I'm considering walking across the street and trading this bullshit in.

First time KH2 player. The original had some bullshit difficulty spike near the end that sucked but this is even worse.

EDIT: Going to turn off the Playstation and walk away for a bit before I smash this controller. I never get this way about games but Kingdom Hearts 2 is bringing the worst out of me.

Magnet magic is really good vs Berserkers IIRC. Also Genie Summon since you don't take any damage during it. TBH I don't exactly remember if you get these before the Berserker encounter or not.

I will try your advice. Sorry if I came off as an ass I am just very frustrated right now!

Since I don't remember at all if the first Berserker encounter is before or after Agrabah this might not help, but if the Genie seems to work for you there is a very easy and very fast way of leveling up your Summon Gauge in Agrabah if you need your summon to last longer.

No they are not easy. I'm playing on standard and have been trying to beat this damn encounter for the past hour so "gg they're easy" is the last freaking thing I want to hear right now. Taking down one isn't a problem but when 3 spawn it's ridiculous and unfair this early in the game. They use this lame ass attack where they stab the ground with the sword and then hit you which can kill me in one combo string. Even if I avoid one there's the other two hitting me from blind spots or just waiting until I dodge the first. Reaction command doesn't even take them down to half health if I use it 3 times in a row (then they get the sword back). I'm so mad I'm considering walking across the street and trading this bullshit in.

First time KH2 player. The original had some bullshit difficulty spike near the end that sucked but this is even worse.

EDIT: Going to turn off the Playstation and walk away for a bit before I smash this controller. I never get this way about games but Kingdom Hearts 2 is bringing the worst out of me.

Thunder is my go-to to take down Beserkers.

NullKaze

Use Magnet, then Fire, then grab their sword. When you have their sword, touching any enemy magnetises them to you and you're invincible.

If you were playing on Critical, you can use the additional Finishing Plus ability to do Magnet -> Finishing Leap -> Fire -> Reflect -> repeat which absolutely destroys them in a very satisfying combo.

Thunder is my go-to to take down Beserkers.

Use Magnet, then Fire, then grab their sword. When you have their sword, touching any enemy magnetises them to you and you're invincible.

If you were playing on Critical, you can use the additional Finishing Plus ability to do Magnet -> Finishing Leap -> Fire -> Reflect -> repeat which absolutely destroys them in a very satisfying combo.

Thank you for the tips, will try again today!

Famassu

I'm sorry but if you're having problems in KHII on Standard, then git gud is really the only thing one can say. :p no amount of difficulty spikes or cheap bosses explain having difficulties in that.. difficulty except lack of skill by the gamer. :S

Iokis

I restarted Re:CoM on Beginner because I hate this game and I only want to struggle through it for the plot.

However, it's not the battle system that is turning me off, as I got used to it, but the RNG to get a halfway decent deck.

I'm on Floor 5 and I'm still using Kingdom Key attack cards because every other attack card I find is 1-4 and as far as I can see that's just not viable - anything below 7 (apart from 0 cards) seems to be a waste of space in your deck. However, the Kingdom Keys are starting to fall off in damage and in any case I'm still using a deck of just 14 cards because I just can't find any decent cards in this godawful RNG hellpit of a game.

I've tried grinding Moogle Rooms (like synthing 5 in a row and buying all the attack card packs) but the cards I get from those are also hot trash - I'm starting to think it's just impossible to get any cards that are 6+.

Is there any way to get half decent cards in this game or am I just going to keep getting fucked over by the miserable RNG until I either scrape through or I give up on this horseshit altogether and use YouTube? What am I missing here?

Vashetti

Banned
I'm sorry but if you're having problems in KHII on Standard, then git gud is really the only thing one can say. :p no amount of difficulty spikes or cheap bosses explain having difficulties in that.. difficulty except lack of skill by the gamer. :S

Or being severely underlevelled.

The requirements for unlocking the Secret Episode in BbS are wrong. The criteria were made much easier in the HD collections than previously in the PSP versions, so that more players could experience it. Many guides were made without realizing this change, so there's a lot of misinformation going around. Of course, if people are going for the platinum trophy, they'll probably play on Critical mode, so it doesn't affect them.

The correct requirements for unlocking the Secret Episode are:
Beginner Mode - Accessible, the exact conditions are undisclosed.
Standard Mode - Complete the Sticker Album with Terra, Aqua, and Ventus and obtain the Keyslinger trophy (defeat 9,999 unversed).
Proud Mode - Complete the Sticker Album with Terra, Aqua, and Ventus.
Critical Mode - Complete the Final Episode.
After trying this, the only thing you forgot is that you need 140 points on the sticker album. You were right though, that's all you need for the secret episode on standard. I'm debating if I want to mess with the secret bosses in this game or just move on to DDD

Top Bottom