• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

Afrocious

So did we ever figure out if darkness is bad in this universe?

Sure Riku represents balance, but so far, darkness seems to be fueled solely by negativity.

Caladrius

*starts Aqua's story (Proud)*
*notices she's a Squishy Wizard*
*encounters first boss*
*dies quickly*
... Well then. This is going to be an adventure.

It's even worse on critical since you barely do any damage to anything.

So did we ever figure out if darkness is bad in this universe?

Sure Riku represents balance, but so far, darkness seems to be fueled solely by negativity.

Darkness isn't inherently evil,
but extensive exposure to it corrodes weak and exposed hearts, making its bearers usually turn into fucknuts.

Afrocious

Right right, so this is where the Disney Villains mess up at and where Riku finally succeeded in CoM and KH2.

So what about Xehanort? Is he in balance but just has evil motivations?

Everyone has a bit of darkness in them at least, without darkness there would be no light and it's the same the other way around.
Terra
had darkness in his heart but he was a nice guy anyways, and Ventus had fucking
Vanitas
inside him or something.

The problem is when you're an evil bastard like Xehanort.

Damn Groundshaker is quite annoying. Have no idea what to do after the core goes back into the body the second time. Also I have no items and there's no way to get them in this world without triggering the boss. Could I leave and then come back, and will it resume where I was?

edit: NVM got him

Caladrius

Right right, so this is where the Disney Villains mess up at and where Riku finally succeeded in CoM and KH2.

Xehanort wanted to be balanced to gain a greater understanding of the world, and to that end he exposed himself to the darkness of the lanes between. Either because he didn't know he needed to moderate or was too arrogant to think it would mess with him, he went waaaaaay off the deep end from overexposure, (and whatever else they decide to retcon in)

So I started DDD after finishing this, and I'm actually enjoying it a decent amount though for some reason I can't seem to play it for more that thirty minutes at a time without wanting to do something else.

Also this makes me wonder why there wasn't a Notre Dame world in the earlier games. In a game series where corruption by the darkness is a big theme you would thing a genocidal lunatic that bursts into song about a girl who must choose between either him or burning in hell would be a good villain. I guess too dark for the mainline games.

Also the boss fights are fucking terrible.

Caladrius

Also this makes me wonder why there wasn't a Notre Dame world in the earlier games.

Also the boss fights are fucking terrible.

They actually did want to put ND in Kingdom Hearts 2. The original was quite rushed in a lot of respects.

The bosses improve at the very end of the game (talking the very last world) for the most part, at least. Disney and Nightmare bosses are indeed pretty bleh though.

botty

Banned
Woot! Kingdom Hearts II Platinum is mine!

I enjoyed platting this game. Its always sad once its over though. I've been dying to replay this game for years now (held off when 1.5 was announced in September 2012), and now its finally over and 100% completed. Now it'll probably be years before I do another full playthrough like this again ;_;

I think that all and all I enjoyed the KH1FM Platinum a little more, maybe just because I like that game more (lack of trophy stacking was still horrible in that game), but KH2FM is still excellent and among my favorites. Plus, Critical Mode KH2FM just isn't hard for me at all anymore after my level 1 run a few years ago.

Time to move onto Birth by Sleep! Then afterwards, if I'm not burned out of KH, I want to do another KH2FM Level 1 Critical playthrough. I did one when I imported the game in 2009 or so, and had an absolute blast. I'd like to do one again and see how far I've come.

you are the .8%

sn00zer

I need to play more of BbS, but man KH2 seems so much better than it in every way. Doesnt help that they throw a phonebook's worth of complicated tutorials at you in the first 20min. Graphics/ art style arent grabbing me either.

They actually did want to put ND in Kingdom Hearts 2. The original was quite rushed in a lot of respects.

The bosses improve at the very end of the game (talking the very last world) for the most part, at least. Disney and Nightmare bosses are indeed pretty bleh though.

Damn, that's disappointing. Bet the clocktower boss would have been amazing. Also I feel like some of the problems would be alleviated if an HD remaster is released. Using the D-Pad to finding healing commands in the middle of a hectic battle is really awful.

Bladenic

The item shop in Hollow Bastion sells them.

Thanks. Only Xigbar and Xemnas left.

For Xemnas,
how do you ably do the Riku part?

Still got a shit lot to do for Platinum afterward, namely minigames (Ew), mushrooms (ew), lingering Will (ew), and gummy missions (ew but apparently they're not that bad). Well and Critical playthrough but that shouldn't be too too bad with skipping cutscenes.

Oh and for BBS, I gotta collect all stickers and complete album for the secret episode right? Only did that for Aqua. Am I gonna encounter that leveling bug?

Soriku

I need to play more of BbS, but man KH2 seems so much better than it in every way. Doesnt help that they throw a phonebook's worth of complicated tutorials at you in the first 20min. Graphics/ art style arent grabbing me either.

I started up BBS and the tutorials overwhelmed me at first. But then I got the hang of it really fast.

Use this FAQ for abilities, it's great:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/943347-kingdom-hearts-birth-by-sleep/faqs/61043

For Xemnas,

Still got a shit lot to do for Platinum afterward, namely minigames (Ew), mushrooms (ew), lingering Will (ew), and gummy missions (ew but apparently they're not that bad). Well and Critical playthrough but that shouldn't be too too bad with skipping cutscenes.

Oh and for BBS, I gotta collect all stickers and complete album for the secret episode right? Only did that for Aqua. Am I gonna encounter that leveling bug?

For the Riku part, take a few steps then shoot, take a few steps then shoot, take a few steps then shoot, etc. The Xemnas clone shouldn't even touch you.

Caladrius

Damn, that's disappointing. Bet the clocktower boss would have been amazing. Also I feel like some of the problems would be alleviated if an HD remaster is released. Using the D-Pad to finding healing commands in the middle of a hectic battle is really awful.

Circle Pad Pro helps a lot with the controls, if you're actually willing to fork over the cash and you have an OG 3DS to use it with.

For Xemnas,

You can actually avoid that section altogether if you use reflect when he tries to use the move (which he calls out). It's pretty much the only way to survive that attack on Critical.

If you are hit and have to do the segment. Square>Run 3-4 steps> Repeat.

And BBS proud mode is all stories+ All Stickers, yeah.

for Critical you just need the Xehanort reports.

Aqua's save is bugged no matter what. Ven and Terra should be fine so long as you don't go back to their files before finishing the Final Episode. (Which means you need to get the Mirage Arena report for Terra and the Treasure Chest report for Ven before finishing the game).

Afrocious

Made it through Radiant Garden with Terra on Critical.

This is the point where I can make some killer commands, right? Which ones are they? Trying to be OP.

Bladenic

Lol he used the attack and I did exactly that with Riku but it didn't matter cuz it was too slow and Sora still died. Fuck.

Kinsei

Banned
Made it through Radiant Garden with Terra on Critical.

This is the point where I can make some killer commands, right? Which ones are they? Trying to be OP.

Thunder surge (thundara + stun edge) and mega flare (fission firaga + crawling fire). You could also meld ars solum now, but it only has a 20% chance of being created while melding so I'd wait until you get it from a chest.

Another good command is chaos blade, but you can't get one of the commands for it until Neverland.

Crawling fire is slow + firaga and fission firaga is in a chest in Dwarf Woodlands.

Soriku

Lol he used the attack and I did exactly that with Riku but it didn't matter cuz it was too slow and Sora still died. Fuck.

The same thing happened to me. You just kinda have to get lucky and hope your HP is high enough by the time he does the attack.

Also make sure you're not freaking out with your hands during the thousands of lasers part. Because I did and Riku died, giving me a game over lol :x

Afrocious

Thunder surge (thundara + stun edge) and mega flare (fission firaga + crawling fire). You could also meld ars solum now, but it only has a 20% chance of being created while melding so I'd wait until you get it from a chest.

Another good command is chaos blade, but you can't get one of the commands for it until Neverland.

Crawling fire is slow + firaga and fission firaga is in a chest in Dwarf Woodlands.

Awesome. How do I get Firaga? I'll probably need to buy a Fire. I have one Fira.

Lightning

Banned
First time in 2 FM getting fucked by Anti Form. Data Xigbar battle. Had Limit form set to Triangle and when trying to do the reaction command, activated Limit instead. Got fucked. Ugh. He was like 3 bars of health left too.

What's the best setup for Xigbar to avoid his DM aka how do I get the most Horizontal Slashes
Limit Form? should have entered Final Form then you would have destroyed Xigbar.

I avoided the DM phase during my battle with him by not doing finishers.

Tirod

I'm so giddy, finally beat all the Data fights on Critical! I think the hardest for me personally were definitely Roxas, Xigbar, and Luxord. Everyone else went down fairly easily after a few attempts.

Now I got this gold crown to do...mini-games in, woo. ;-; I'm regretting not doing the mini-game junk first.

Also: how do I access the Paradox Cups? Do I have beat the score goals listed in the Journal for the other tournaments first?

Spamification1

Neo Member
I'm so giddy, finally beat all the Data fights on Critical! I think the hardest for me personally were definitely Roxas, Xigbar, and Luxord. Everyone else went down fairly easily after a few attempts.

Now I got this gold crown to do...mini-games in, woo. ;-; I'm regretting not doing the mini-game junk first.

Also: how do I access the Paradox Cups? Do I have beat the score goals listed in the Journal for the other tournaments first?

You have to level up summons and all of Sora's forms to max (7). The cups should unlock as you level them up. Talk to Hades to fight in the cups.

Talk with Hades.

Afrocious

KH2's minigames aren't as bad as folks think. If you have Fenrir + Negative Combo, you can get past some minigames easily like that Carpet Ride in Agrabah.

IMO, the most time consuming thing in the game when trying to platinum it aside from the main quest is synthesis.

Having a ton of Lucky Rings helps, but it is still a chore.

sappyday

KH2's minigames aren't as bad as folks think. If you have Fenrir + Negative Combo, you can get past some minigames easily like that Carpet Ride in Agrabah.

IMO, the most time consuming thing in the game when trying to platinum it aside from the main quest is synthesis.

I think the most dreadful thing is the gummi ships. You get nothing out of it. Sure the donut gummi makes things super easy but I would rather be grinding the same enemies over again than that shit.

Tirod

As I've gone through a mini-game rush the past 2 hours, I will concede that they aren't frustrating to beat, I just don't enjoy them. /:

Also Stitch is too good, is he really the intended method for the "points" entries for the tournaments by design?

Bladenic

Mushroom 8 has me suicidal plz help.

I've only gotten 84 hits once, otherwise I'm usually fucking it up at 75. Using Master Form + Thundaga, except Thundaga might as well be useless right now lmao

Edit: swear to god or whatever higher power, GAF complaining always works. Tried a new thing where I used Thundaga first till MP ran out, then wailed on it with Master Form. 87 hits woo hoo.

As I've gone through a mini-game rush the past 2 hours, I will concede that they aren't frustrating to beat, I just don't enjoy them. /:

Also Stitch is too good, is he really the intended method for the "points" entries for the tournaments by design?

Is he? I've been using Peter Pan this whole time. Just Never Land that shit.

I would say so, but it's because he sees darkness as a means to an end, since he's mostly just an ambitious jerk. He even
pawned Ven off to Eraqus so that he could be pure light, or whatever.
In this universe, Light and Dark are nothing more than elemental alignments, but there is clearly a moral base that provides them. Look at the Organization: How many of them would you say were actually evil? How many of them used darkness? They all had different elemental alignments, but then again, they could summon Heartless and use dark corridors. On the other hand, Emblem Heartless (which they used) could be created and controlled by pretty much anyone. Pure Heartless are a different story.

Then you have to consider what Twilight and Nothingness mean in any of it. Xemnas was elementally aligned with Nothingness, and according to the lore, it's the fundamental essence of a Nobody. But then, I have to ask, what's Twilight? Just a nice middle-ground?

Also, what's Pluto then? A dark lord of some kind? I mean, he just walks through corridors like nothing. What is he up to, I dare ask...

This lore is giving me a headache. I'm overthinking it. Please, send help.

Bladenic

Mushroom 8 was cake compared to 1. No clue what I'm doing. Using Final Form, most hits I've gotten is 21 lmao

This is my last one before I'm done too.

I'm still bothered that Huey, Dewey, and Louie don't age over the ten year gap between BbS and KH1.

In a series where
a super old dude (Xehanort) can take over the body the body of a young man (Terra)
, I'm not surprised. All they'd have to do is find three young ducklings and Nomura can handle the rest.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm starting to think they made Zack younger in BbS (with his young hairstyle/sword from CC) so that they could include older Zack (with slicked back FF7 hair/buster sword) in KH3. Probably not, but one can hope. I hope they at least explain
what was up with the black feather at the end.

Having finally finished BbS, I have to say that in terms of story and gameplay, it's easily Terra > Aqua > Ven.

Terra has the most interesting ending segment for sure, and I love his strong, heavy fighting style. His keyblades are like greatswords compared to the other two, and he gets some really cool unique moves (Zantetsuken) and drives. Aqua's story provides closure for basically every world outside of Deep Space. Her fighting style is basically unlike anything seen in a KH game up to this point; I love how floaty and majestic all of her movements are, and her drives are @#$%ing awesome. Ven feels like he's never doing anything too important. Fighting style is alright.

I make it sound like I didn't like Ven's game, but that couldn't be further from the truth. I enjoyed all three and BbS has cemented itself as the #1 KH game. I really hope KH3 has multiple stories/characters, too, and not in the weird way DDD did.

Top Bottom