• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

RetroMG

Finally got through the Twilight Town section of the game. Now I've got Donald and Goofy back and life is good.

Now, I've never played KH2, so maybe I'm missing something, but seriously, that first part of the game is three hours, and aside from some setup on who
Roxas, the Nobodies, and Organization XIII are
, I can't see a single good reason for me to have had to play that. Maybe it will become clear once I've played more of the game.

sn00zer

Finally got through the Twilight Town section of the game. Now I've got Donald and Goofy back and life is good.

Now, I've never played KH2, so maybe I'm missing something, but seriously, that first part of the game is three hours, and aside from some setup on who
, I can't see a single good reason for me to have had to play that. Maybe it will become clear once I've played more of the game.

Nope...its one of the notoriously worse openings in a game ever. Dont worry about any deep meaning behind it. It was even worse at the time of release because it was close to God of War 2, which arguably has the best opening of all time.

Caladrius

I consider him to be one of the hardest bosses in the game.

Yeah. He wouldn't be bad at all (bar maybe the last section where he's ramming you with his ice chunks) if you didn't have to micromanage the data gauge and repel the anti-Soras, and it's even worse in the early-game because you don't have a lot of tools to damage him very effectively.

Dice//

Banned

I like the "glitch in the Matrix" idea about it, but yeah, it's two hours too long. It sets up something potentially cool but without good enough scenes or characters to fill it out. Roxas' gang just kind of seem bored than really trying to live up the end of their summer vacation, no one cares/listens to the weird shit happening to Roxas, there's no big moment about "the end" beyond Roxas' quiet/tame acceptance, and we get drop ins from a bunch of random "ought-be important" characters that create more mess of the messy plot already there. It's pretty tragic Sora kind of just steps in like nothing really happened either (his "unexplained tear" might have had more meaning if Hayner, Ollet, and Pence were worth missing; the chemistry with Donald, Goofy, and Sora was immediately stronger).

I think it's well thought out and interesting, and Twilight Town is nicely designed... BUT IT NEVER ENDS. "Struggle" was just shitty filler too, along with those lame part-time jobs.

Ekoria

Banned
Nope...its one of the notoriously worse openings in a game ever. Dont worry about any deep meaning behind it. It was even worse at the time of release because it was close to God of War 2, which arguably has the best opening of all time.

gow2 literally came out a whole year after kh2.

SoulUnison

Banned

I think it's a fantastic opening and I always enjoy my time with Roxas on repeat playthroughs. And if anything, it was *better* at the time of release because of what an unexpected twist it was.

Kingdom Hearts was the last series I ever expected to pull a Metal Gear Solid 2. You have to remember that Roxas was present in some KH2 trailers, but was never officially discussed or revealed. The community only even knew his name because of a soundtrack leak a few days before the release.

For a lot of people, the first time they ever saw Roxas was when he "fell out of" the Destiny Island trio during KH2's opening. It was a *huge* ball out o left field, and the mystery of "who am I playing as? why is this happening? why is he having glitchy memories of the first game?" is one of the most inspired parts of Kingdom Hearts 2, to me.

Andrefpvs

I also liked the KH2 prologue.

But I'm this strange guy that really enjoys quiet, peaceful moments in games (such as the Gold Saucer in FF7, Luca Tournament in FF10, Millennial Fair in Chrono Trigger, Uncharted 2's village, etc, you get the point).

Betty

Banned
I like the KH2 prologue, the slow buildup was hype as hell after waiting so long for the game to come out back in the day and it can be sped run quite quick.

There should have been an option to skip it on subsequent playthroughs.

corn_fest

I think it's a fantastic opening and I always enjoy my time with Roxas on repeat playthroughs. And if anything, it was *better* at the time of release because of what an unexpected twist it was.

Kingdom Hearts was the last series I ever expected to pull a Metal Gear Solid 2. You have to remember that Roxas was present in some KH2 trailers, but was never officially discussed or revealed. The community only even knew his name because of a soundtrack leak a few days before the release.

For a lot of people, the first time they ever saw Roxas was when he "fell out of" the Destiny Island trio during KH2's opening. It was a *huge* ball out o left field, and the mystery of "who am I playing as? why is this happening? why is he having glitchy memories of the first game?" is one of the most inspired parts of Kingdom Hearts 2, to me.

Yep, I love the opening as well. It's probably my favorite part of the game.

sn00zer

Playing as Roxas was fine..... doing random boring tasks to explain mechanics that could have been explained in a quarter of the time is the issue people had.

Holmes

Wait, the Absent Silhouettes aren't endgame bosses that you can face whenever you want for shits? Cool, I'll try them out.

Kinsei

Banned
Wait, the Absent Silhouettes aren't endgame bosses that you can face whenever you want for shits? Cool, I'll try them out.

The absent silhouettes are meant to be fought as you progress. Generally once you finish 2-3 worlds after one first appears you should be ready to take it on. The exception to this rule is Lexaeus, he's a complete wimp.

Jigolo

Make sure you level them up. That's how you get movement abilities like high jump, glide, dodge roll, etc.

Well now. I thought it'd be smart of me to save my drives for bosses but with this knowledge I couldn't be happier. It's fun to use.

If you watched the movie in 1.5 this intro is pretty easy to understand. Although I think chronologically that game came after KH2

Kinsei

Banned
Well now. I thought it'd be smart of me to save my drives for bosses but with this knowledge I couldn't be happier. It's fun to use.

You should now that each form gains experience in a different way. For example: Valor gets 1 experience point every time you hit an enemy. You can check how each form gains experience in the stats menu.

Count me in the group that enjoys the Roxas opening. I don't love it but it has some definitely enjoyable moments.

Does anybody remember when before Roxas's name was revealed he was known as BHK or Blonde Haired Kid. Good times.

Jigolo

You should now that each form gains experience in a different way. For example: Valor gets 1 experience point every time you hit an enemy. You can check how each form gains experience in the stats menu.

Yeah, I actually just unlocked Wisdom but I haven't used it yet. I'll definitely check it out when I play again.

I'm another one who actually likes the opening of Kingdom Hearts II. It's not perfect, but I do enjoy slower more peaceful prologues, and when the game first game out, I was so intrigued on who Roxas was.. or who any of those people were. I admit on repeat playthroughs, it's not quite as compelling, but I still don't mind it that much.

RPGCrazied

I'm another one who actually likes the opening of Kingdom Hearts II. It's not perfect, but I do enjoy slower more peaceful prologues, and when the game first game out, I was so intrigued on who Roxas was.. or who any of those people were. I admit on repeat playthroughs, it's not quite as compelling, but I still don't mind it that much.

The only problems I had was the munny grinding part. The rest I thought was great.

I like the KH2 prologue, the slow buildup was hype as hell after waiting so long for the game to come out back in the day and it can be sped run quite quick.

There should have been an option to skip it on subsequent playthroughs.

The prologue is a bit tedious after already playing the game but it isn't horrible

Ugh, just got to the part in the first trip to
Hollow Bastion
at the burrough and ran into a really grating audio glitch. Only about 4.5 hours in, and I'm really hoping these kinds of glitches don't become a hallmark of my experience with this remake.

Falk

that puzzling face
Although I think chronologically that game came after KH2

Chronologically it's before, but it was released after, yes.

The Great Debate still rages on if one should do 358/2 before or after KH2. I'm still in the 358/2 --> KH2 camp despite the release order. Square Enix seems to think so too, if we factor the way 1.5 and 2.5 were bundled.

Jigolo

Chronologically it's before, but it was released after, yes.

The Great Debate still rages on if one should do 358/2 before or after KH2. I'm still in the 358/2 --> KH2 camp despite the release order. Square Enix seems to think so too, if we factor the way 1.5 and 2.5 were bundled.

Made the intro really easy to get into, and yes I enjoyed the KH2 intro as well. I meant released not chronolocgially, haha

Luigi87

Had to level up Wisdom form... My lack of mobility is preventing me from defeating beating Oogie on my lv.1 playthrough. I keep getting close, but then something always catches me during the last phase.

Amani

Hoo boy, that Larexene fight's no joke. The Once More ability's gonna be incredibly useful for the AS fights, isn't it?

KingClown

I'm also among those who liked the prologue in KH2, especially when I first played the game. It was really cool to try and figure out all the mysteries surrounding Roxas and the weird flashback scenes to Sora, and the ending blew my mind as a kid. Plus the fade to the game's title screen is still one of my favorites to this day, I love it.

That said, playing through it the first time was fun and interesting, but playing through it more than once can get pretty irritating I'll admit, and I can see why it bothers people.

I also love the story of the series, even with all the convoluted stuff it has. Whether or not it's actually any good is certainly up to debate, but I can't help but be engaged by it's craziness, it's my kind of weird.

SykoTech

Glad I decided to play more KH instead of slogging through The Game Awards.

Twilight Town was much less annoying than I remember it being. Honestly, the only part that really sucked was grinding those stupid jobs for munny. Everything else was fine. Whooped
Axel's
ass in a flash as well. The Critical perks are more useful than I thought.

Guess I'll get to the real action tomorrow.

Caladrius

A lot of the Final Mix-exclusive content is pretty much built around Wisdom form, which at least gives it some good uses.

I'm also among those who liked the prologue in KH2, especially when I first played the game. It was really cool to try and figure out all the mysteries surrounding Roxas and the weird flashback scenes to Sora, and the ending blew my mind as a kid. Plus the fade to the game's title screen is still one of my favorites to this day, I love it.

That said, playing through it the first time was fun and interesting, but playing through it more than once can get pretty irritating I'll admit, and I can see why it bothers people.

I also love the story of the series, even with all the convoluted stuff it has. Whether or not it's actually any good is certainly up to debate, but I can't help but be engaged by it's craziness, it's my kind of weird.

Yeah, I find it both legitimately endearing and ridiculous at the same time, so with a couple of exceptions
coughhackdayswheeze
I find it enjoyable even at some of its low points.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I've always liked the thought of those 3 nobody kids who just wanted to build a raft becoming warriors and saving the entire universe from all kinds of stuff. Hopefully KH3 doesn't disappoint

Falk

that puzzling face
Was completely fine on JP (I actually was ranting about getting Anti-Form a lot and forgot I had it equipped)

Not gotten to that point on EN yet.

I've always liked the thought of those 3 nobody kids who just wanted to build a raft becoming warriors and saving the entire universe from all kinds of stuff. Hopefully KH3 doesn't disappoint

Have you played Grandia? (The original)

Falk

that puzzling face
o lawd 3

You should play grandia 2 to counteract that. Not as mindblowing as the original in terms of plot but I'll be damned if it wasn't an amazing game.

Guys idk what just happened so I'm in the Mulan world and I believe I pressed drive, Sora instead of transforming into valor went into some heartless punching and kicking. Is that a glitch or wtf just happened?!

First time playing KH2 so idk

Top Bottom