• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
That's definitely my impression.

There's some validity to the KHII-->Days order, since obviously that's the release order and therefore the order in which the story was actually worked out. And when KHII was originally released, they definitely intended the critical events that take place during Days to be mysterious off-screen stuff that you only experience in fragmented flashbacks. Days itself would then be the "backstory chapter" that fills in the rest of the holes (kind of like Birth by Sleep).

However, with the KHII Final Mix content added in, the Days-->KHII order definitely feels like more of a "complete package" from a storytelling perspective. You the viewer know the full story, so you get to see how those events shaped the characters and their actions in KHII.

So it really depends what you're looking for out of your experience:

Do you want to be dropped in to the story in media res and face the outcomes of events you aren't familiar with? Might make more sense to play KHII first.

Do you want to more of an omniscient view over how the story unfolds, including the full context and emotional impact of the events that precede KHII? Watch Days first.

I played them in release order originally, and personally don't think most of the mysteries in KHII really add much to the experience. In fact, I appreciate the characters and the weight of what's going on a lot more now that I'm playing through Final Mix for the first time after sitting through Days.

Both orders have their benefits. Honestly, I think completing Roxas's opener in KHII, then playing Days, then playing Sora's part of II is probably the best for impact purposes. The vast majority of KHII's impact that is ruined by Days is in Roxas's segment afterall.

Groof

Yeah, after replaying both games I forgot how bad KH2's worlds were. Beast's Castle and Halloween Town are the highlights. BBS highlights are Neverland and Deep Space.
Totally agree. Today I startes atlantica and went through port royale. Feels like the creme de la creme of boring hah

LAA

Well, on the final road to 100%ing KH2FM.
Just beat Data Roxas critical now, got Xaldin, Xigbar, Lexeaus and Xemnas (Who I'm most worried about because of the reaction commands being a bit buggy seemingly for the final battle)
Then I've got Sephiroth/Lingering Will, and the Paradox cups (Which are the next thing I'm worried about getting the required points for the journal, I read stitch helps, but he just isnt giving me as many points as I'm seeing in some videos, could really do with tips for this. Only got through getting the required points in the titan cups by deliberately taking a beating so stitch did ukulele automatically, but it was quite a long process and I did need to do that for nearly every round)

Shahadan

To be honest I feel that everything I do once I step foot on a world, barring punching the heartless, is boring as fuck in this game. Worse, everything is terrible if you think about it. Level design sucks, mini games suck, cutscenes suck HARD (and are way too many), protecting Minnie/Abu/etc for like 1min in a small empty room suck, backtracking sucks, loadings suck...
Also gummi ship missions.

Yet I enjoy my time for god knows what reasons.

^actually I agree with a lot of that lol. so many fucking cutscenes.

I think the worlds would be better had they not basically split them all into two separate parts. I'm enjoying the 2nd visits waaay more because they aren't just bad movie summaries or like a brief setup to the second part (screw you Agrabah).

Just think, maybe KHIII will have worlds that are more than just like 5 areas (haven't played BBS so I don't know if it's any different).

Psxphile

dat charm

Started BBSFM. Ventus run first. For those bringing up the fact that Ventus is never "introduced" to the Unversed like Terra and Aqua did... no, I suppose he didn't get a nice little cutscene or anything but seems Xehanort's Letter you get after the opening mentions them well enough. Not the best way to go about it but def not a plothole or anything.

Cavern of Rememberance was tough, but fair ... until that last batch of Nobodies. Screw that noise, those 2 treasure chests can rot for all I care!

Hiko

Banned
WTF happened to the light cycle. When did this shit become so hard? I've tried at least five times and I keep dying.

After playing KH2 and going back into BBS, I remember why I like BBS so much more. There's a crazy amount of movesets between command styles, d-linking, shotlocks, finish commands, and regular ol' battle commands. Aqua and Terra are especially fun. While Ven is sorta the old fashioned Sora jack of all trades master of none rehash, Aqua shooting overpowered spells around of every element while teleporting around with Ghost Drive along with Terra throwing down meteors and slaughtering anything he touches physically with that dark death-hand of his makes the game so much fun.

Also Aqua is still the best character out of the KH universe.

Also also I have an unhealthy habit of grinding the fuck out of this game with every character before I leave the first world. I just keep melding commands and then I want better commands and then oh man it melded into a shotlock, better grind up those commands again and oh dear I reached level 25 all before fighting the Cursed Carriage.

Caladrius

The light cycle minigame is trivialized if you use triangle to ram the enemies instead of using the keyblade attack.

Strike Raid actually knocks Sephiroth out of Heartless Angel in one hit. Never misses, either.

There is a maximum range, though. Got screwed over a few times because I misjudged the distance to Seph.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
There's "The Gathering", with Armored Terra, Ven and Aqua in the Keyblade Graveyard. That was the original secret ending in KHII, but in Final Mix you get that just be beating Xemnas the first time.
The new ending for Final Mix is "Birth by sleep", that's the CGI showcase of the Keyblade Graveyard battles from the Birth by Sleep game.

Speaking of armor
Sora and Riku are going to get theirs in Kingdom Hearts III right?

iosefe

There's "The Gathering", with Armored Terra, Ven and Aqua in the Keyblade Graveyard. That was the original secret ending in KHII, but in Final Mix you get that just be beating Xemnas the first time.
The new ending for Final Mix is "Birth by sleep", that's the CGI showcase of the Keyblade Graveyard battles from the Birth by Sleep game.

Speaking of armor
Sora and Riku are going to get theirs in Kingdom Hearts III right?

indubitably

Oh yeah, you are right. I was thinking you had to get all gates in Proud mode like the original condition.
They should have made you work for that cutscene.

sappyday

I've beaten the game, AS, and Sephiroth all on critical. I'm surprised I did. I was so close to giving up and restarting the game on proud when I first started. Xaldin was definitely the hardest moment for me, however I haven't fought the data battles or Terra.

Seda

I've beaten the game, AS, and Sephiroth all on critical. I'm surprised I did. I was so close to giving up and restarting the game on proud when I first started. Xaldin was definitely the hardest moment for me, however I haven't fought the data battles or Terra.

Data Xaldin was probably the one fight I had the most difficulty with (after not struggling much against the story boss).

I don't really know how I beat him.

Falk

that puzzling face
it's been almost 48 hours since I finished 1.5+2.5 plat

I can't take it anymore

I'm gonna play DDD lv1 critical

God damnit

njean777

I really wish they would port this all to ps4 (including the first) I got rid of my ps3, and with 3 coming out soon it would be nice to have all of the old ones on a single disc. I have all the original versions on all their respective platforms, just do not have the consoles anymore. I may get a ps3 when they become cheap just for these remakes.

iosefe

I really wish they would port this all to ps4 (including the first) I got rid of my ps3, and with 3 coming out soon it would be nice to have all of the old ones on a single disc. I have all the original versions on all their respective platforms, just do not have the consoles anymore. I may get a ps3 when they become cheap just for these remakes.

patience, comrade

Top Bottom