• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

Kain

Isn't Aqua much weaker than Sora canonically? I could have sworn that was the case.

Well, if we try to apply some logic here, I would think Sora was as his strongest at the end of the original KH. Let me elaborate:

At the begginning of KH2 Sora was nerfed to the ground after his sleep, and just after he woke up they gave him the magical garments to get the drives. Sora in Final Form is like the strongest thing ever, but remember he needs the clothes and two companions, so one could argue that power was not his alone but of three people.

Now, take the Drives away and ask yourselves: is Sora strongest in KH2 or in KH1? I would say in 1 as Sora kicked a giant humanoid spaceship of doom and naked men, while flying with fucked up controls. and after destroying a huge demon atop a volcano. Yeah, paper buildings and dudes with low movility with huge swords are not so impressive now, are they? Zebra man was lame.

I don't know about DDD, I don't remember all the details, but didn't Sora succumb to the nightmare? Didn't Riku have to save his ass after defeating what was probably the most powerful motherfucker of the entire series?

Young Xehanort in his prime was an absolute beast.

So I don't think Sora is stronger than Aqua right now. He is not even a master, he was cheating with those drives.

Buuuuuuuut it's KH, logic doesn't apply here, so I don't know.

Nomura sees this post and makes an entire Kairi side game

I know :(

Soriku

Canonically Aqua is weaker than Sora, but that's only because Sora is the most powerful character we've seen thus far: Nomura said Xemnas (final form) was the strongest character in KH as of KH2, but in DDD Sora was able to defeat him without assistance, meaning Sora surpassed Xemnas. I could be wrong, but TAV are implied to be better and stronger key blade wielders than Sora prior to the end of KH2.

Nomura said Final Xemnas, when he absorbed the artificial Kingdom Hearts, was the strongest character in the series. He needed both Sora and Riku to defeat him. In DDD, Sora just beat regular Xemnas, which he himself also beat alone in KH2 anyway.

Well, if we try to apply some logic here, I would think Sora was as his strongest at the end of the original KH. Let me elaborate:

At the begginning of KH2 Sora was nerfed to the ground after his sleep, and just after he woke up they gave him the magical garments to get the drives. Sora in Final Form is like the strongest thing ever, but remember he needs the clothes and two companions, so one could argue that power was not his alone but of three people.

Now, take the Drives away and ask yourselves: is Sora strongest in KH2 or in KH1? I would say in 1 as Sora kicked a giant humanoid spaceship of doom and naked men, while flying with fucked up controls. and after destroying a huge demon atop a volcano. Yeah, paper buildings and dudes with low movility with huge swords are not so impressive now, are they? Zebra man was lame.

I don't know about DDD, I don't remember all the details, but didn't Sora succumb to the nightmare? Didn't Riku have to save his ass after defeating what was probably the most powerful motherfucker of the entire series?

Young Xehanort in his prime was an absolute beast.

So I don't think Sora is stronger than Aqua right now. He is not even a master, he was cheating with those drives.

Buuuuuuuut it's KH, logic doesn't apply here, so I don't know.

No, KH2 Sora is stronger than KH1. I don't remember which interview it was, but Nomura said they put in a lot of tricks (incl. Reaction Commands) to show how much Sora had improved. KH1 Sora certainly couldn't do all the acrobatics KH2 Sora can.

Holmes

The Command Board is such BS, I can't even. I reached the GP goal first, only to start rolling only 1's and 2's, whereas Ventus starts getting 5's and 6's, reaches the goal too, and walks to the finish. Gtfo.

Berordn

The Command Board is such BS, I can't even. I reached the GP goal first, only to start rolling only 1's and 2's, whereas Ventus starts getting 5's and 6's, reaches the goal too, and walks to the finish. Gtfo.

That's when you start blowing your hand on Triple Dice or Stun powers.

Power level discussion is always fun. I'd imagine Terra, Aqua, Mickey, current Sora and Riku are all up there. But if we talk about the whole lore I'd imagine Xehanort in his prime would probably be the most powerful. Who knows about Yen Sid. Zebra Xemnas probably indeed is quite powerful but regular is a total wet rag at this point.

I'm more interested in Ansem SOD. Arguably he was beaten by SDG so we still need to see ASOD vs Xemnas ;). Bring on Dissidia Kingdom Hearts.

Holmes

That's when you start blowing your hand on Triple Dice or Stun powers.
Ah, I should've done that. It was my first time playing the Command Board in years, so I was a little rusty. I think maybe I'll wait to play them all in the Mirage Arena.

botty

Banned
ASOD is weak as fuck. Couldn't even beat Sora at half power. D:

Also, he had to possess a small child just to manifest a body.

Ilúvatar

Currently working my way through finishing 1.5 ReMIX... I hope 2.5 has better Trophy design, because the no difficulty stacking in 1.5 is a real bummer.

Espada

Just beat KH2 last night and now I remember why I looked forward to this game so much. A drastic improvement over the first game in every single way. That said, the game leans heavily on reaction commands to deal with certain enemies and bosses efficiently.

Oh, and my game apparently spaced out during the Xemnas battle. In the part where he's sitting on the throne, he wouldn't blast me off the stage to initiate the building section. In the end I hit him with a random magic spell and it worked.

I'm sad because all the fun stuff in my replay of KH2FM Critical Mode is done now (Data Battles, Lingering Will, Sephiroth, Mushrooms) and now all I have to do is the boring, annoying stuff until I get the platinum (Mission/Minigame completion, synthesis completion, and the gummi missions)

botty

Banned
So... just did an insane glitch with Stitch in the last paradox cup where he just kept using ukulele and pushed me quickly from 9K to 17K. Would have kept going but the drive bar ran out

Holmes

I had forgotten how charming and magical Birth by Sleep is. I found KH2 lacking in that department, so this is a joy to play through again. Playing this and Ni no Kuni at the same time is a treat.
So... just did an insane glitch with Stitch in the last paradox cup where he just kept using ukulele and pushed me quickly from 9K to 17K. Would have kept going but the drive bar ran out
Were you low on health? Stitch will drop a lot of health orbs if you are, but in the coliseum, it'll be orbs instead. Good luck with the rest of the matches. Spam Reflega.

botty

Banned
I had forgotten how charming and magical Birth by Sleep is. I found KH2 lacking in that department, so this is a joy to play through again. Playing this and Ni no Kuni at the same time is a treat.

Were you low on health? Stitch will drop a lot of health orbs if you are, but in the coliseum, it'll be orbs instead. Good luck with the rest of the matches. Spam Reflega.

oh is that why? Wish I knew about it earlier. I've beaten this before I just need to complete the mission points.

After that I have to beat the game on critical, synthesize everything, and do the gummi missions for the platinum!

HeelPower

Power level discussion is always fun. I'd imagine Terra, Aqua, Mickey, current Sora and Riku are all up there. But if we talk about the whole lore I'd imagine Xehanort in his prime would probably be the most powerful. Who knows about Yen Sid. Zebra Xemnas probably indeed is quite powerful but regular is a total wet rag at this point.

I'm more interested in Ansem SOD. Arguably he was beaten by SDG so we still need to see ASOD vs Xemnas ;). Bring on Dissidia Kingdom Hearts.

I think Maleficent is also quite powerful.

She seemed really confident taking on the organisation which can only mean that she's powerful enough to at least match them on a 1 to 1 basis.

In addition ,her ability to manipulate armies of heartless and people is significant.

KH2 lacking in charm compared to BBS ?

I think KH2 has that in spades.Almost every scene has cute and quirky animations and situations thanks to Donald Goofy and Sora being together.

I found BBS to be quite melodramatic JRPG fare by comparison.

Holmes

BbS' one weakness was the PSP's hardware limitations leading to all the empty rooms/worlds. Cinderalla and the prince dance in an empty ballroom, Terra fights an Unversed boss, and then the duke says "the guests were just starting to enjoy themselves!" Only... what guests?

KH2 lacking in charm compared to BBS ?

I think KH2 has that in spades.Almost every scene has cute and quirky animations and situations thanks to Donald Goofy and Sora being together.

I found BBS to be quite melodramatic JRPG fare by comparison.
I dunno. KH2 was very formulaic. Go to a world, do the thing, go to the next world, etc. And there are some mysterious guys in black trench coats in between. KH1 had a sense of magic and wonder when going to each world, whereas KH2 feels more like a duty to go to each world.

Soriku

BbS' one weakness was the PSP's hardware limitations leading to all the empty rooms/worlds. Cinderalla and the prince dance in an empty ballroom, Terra fights an Unversed boss, and then the duke says "the guests were just starting to enjoy themselves!" Only... what guests?

KH2 and DDD have the same problem. SE just doesn't care.

demonkaze

So with the command board on BBS, do I not get the commands I take over from the other players when doing it in the Mirage Arena? I'm pretty sure I got Cure from Ventus yet its not in my command list after the game.

So with the command board on BBS, do I not get the commands I take over from the other players when doing it in the Mirage Arena? I'm pretty sure I got Cure from Ventus yet its not in my command list after the game.

No, just as they don't get the commands they take over from you. Only the commands you recieve via the bonus(star) panels give you commands to keep

Finalow

if only that was just in BBS, it's actually a problem of the whole series. I expect KH3 to solve at least this problem.

just now in Agrabah,

Aladdin: "that's why I always come here ... the action, the people, something is always going on"
*camera moves to a completely empty marketplace* - lmao.

also, another problem which you find in other (mostly recent) jrpgs for various reasons (Tales of, to name one) is that some cutscenes are rather stupid when you don't have any blood or any way of showing actual damage/injuries etc.

the scenes at Port Royal near the end are an example of that. "hey look at Jack is going to get stabbed, except that he doesn't even get hit".

//edit, I'm also expecting FULL voiced cutscenes in KH3, not just the 50% of them, or even less, like in KH2. - and don't tell me now that they don't have the budget for it.

demonkaze

No, just as they don't get the commands they take over from you. Only the commands you recieve via the bonus(star) panels give you commands to keep

Aaah, now I feel like an idiot haha. So when is the easiest time I can get the first Cure with Terra? I'm assuming its not worth me doing the arena missions with him (on critical) after they first open up?

Carbonox

LUXORD DEFEATED

Fuck yes. All Data battles done. Now for Terra.

Edit: I don't see his portal in the Hall of the Cornerstone. How do I get to him?

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
LUXORD DEFEATED

Fuck yes. All Data battles done. Now for Terra.

Edit: I don't see his portal in the Hall of the Cornerstone. How do I get to him?

I think you have to beat Xemnas first.

Edit: Which you obviously did since you beat the data battles. NVM.

Edit 2: You have to beat Xemnas after having cleared all worlds.

Psxphile

Now that I'm at the half-point with Ventus, decided to quit and start Terra on Critical. Holy crap. With Ventus I had no issues, but I'm getting wrecked w/ Terra. The Unversed hit pretty hard, and it's just the first world.

We're still talking about the Mirage Arena versions of Command Board, yes? Just to chime in, but you definitely get to keep Commands stolen from other players in regular Command Board.

Did you beat the game once already? I *think* that's required, or maybe just defeating 1st Form Xemnas.

demonkaze

Now that I'm at the half-point with Ventus, decided to quit and start Terra on Critical. Holy crap. With Ventus I had no issues, but I'm getting wrecked w/ Terra. The Unversed hit pretty hard, and it's just the first world.

We're still talking about the Mirage Arena versions of Command Board, yes? Just to chime in, but you definitely get to keep Commands stolen from other players in regular Command Board.

Did you beat the game once already? I *think* that's required, or maybe just defeating 1st Form Xemnas.

Hmm interesting, is there every any good commands I can steal from the others or is it just in my best interest to do them in Mirage Arena? Also, Radiant Garden is the best place to meld/grind commands, yeah?

Carbonox

You have to beat every world and then beat the game to unlock Terra. FFS. And you can't skip any of the bullshit scenes after beating Xemnas. WHY. This will teach me not to skip even the cringe worlds before beating a KH game.

Psxphile

Hmm interesting, is there every any good commands I can steal from the others or is it just in my best interest to do them in Mirage Arena? Also, Radiant Garden is the best place to meld/grind commands, yeah?

They don't really have anything you can't get elsewhere, to be honest. What you should really be gunning for are the unique Shotlocks you can (probably) only get on certain Command Boards's Bonus Panels. I say probably because it's also possible to get them via Command Melding: sometimes the melding process produces something rare like shotlocks by 'accident'.

Radiant Garden isn't a bad place to grind. It's your first chance to get Abound Crystals (from the Mandrakes), which you can use to get Lucky Strike, EXP Chance and EXP Walker abilities.

Lightning

Banned
You have to beat every world and then beat the game to unlock Terra. FFS. And you can't skip any of the bullshit scenes after beating Xemnas. WHY. This will teach me not to skip even the cringe worlds before beating a KH game.
Did you skip worlds? I unlocked Terra without even knowing it just by playing through the game naturally. He was the last boss I defeated but was easier and killed me much less than Data Roxas killed me.

Carbonox

Did you skip worlds? I unlocked Terra without even knowing it just by playing through the game naturally. He was the last boss I defeated but was easier and killed me much less than Data Roxas killed me.

I didn't do 100 Acre Wood or Atlantica before I beat Xemnas for the first time. I hate those worlds. :lol Well, I liked Atlantica in the first game but absolutely not in KH2.

Edit: OK that's Xemnas done yet again. Terra is unlocked now. Wooo.

Bladenic

I didn't do 100 Acre Wood or Atlantica before I beat Xemnas for the first time. I hate those worlds. :lol Well, I liked Atlantica in the first game but absolutely not in KH2.

You missed Curaga, good job.

Lightning

Banned

LOL. You get good rewards and items from those worlds and puzzle pieces and they take 40 minutes tops if you skip cutscenes.

demonkaze

So started doing some of the Unversed Missions...

Jesus I wish they would stop with all these stupid minigame enemies in this series >.<

Psxphile

Jesus I wish they would stop with all these stupid minigame enemies in this series >.<

I'm going to wait on those until endgame. What were the rewards again? Those useless Illusion commands that turn you into Unversed?

Soriku

Yeah, I haven't touched BBS yet, but KH2 has a shitload of minigames.

On top of the reaction commands, limits, and the Forms, I like the gameplay variety.

silva1991

Yeah, I haven't touched BBS yet, but KH2 has a shitload of minigames.

On top of the reaction commands, limits, and the Forms, I like the gameplay variety.

I don't mind most of the minigames

the only ones I really hate are the Atlantica and gummi ships minigames

demonkaze

The minigames themselves I don't mind, its more the ones associated with specific enemies such as Mushroom XIII, the KHFM synth enemies and now the unversed mission ones in BBSFM.

Carbonox

The minigames themselves I don't mind, its more the ones associated with specific enemies such as Mushroom XIII, the KHFM synth enemies and now the unversed mission ones in BBSFM.

Where would you rank the Unversed ones compared with the others? I've yet to start BBS until I Plat KH2.

demonkaze

Where would you rank the Unversed ones compared with the others? I've yet to start BBS until I Plat KH2.

To be honest, i've only done two so far and I've been trying to do them as I unlock them as I've come across them so that might explain why i'm struggling a bit but this second one had me raging already lol.

My vote would probably have to go to the KHFM ones, some of them were complete bullshit whereas the majority of Mushroom XIII wasn't too bad save for one or two (VIII. . .).

The Unversed missions are actually kinda fun compared to the KH1FM Heartless and Mushroom XIII.

I think the KH1FM heartless are by far the most annoying. Some of them are pretty neat (Neoshadows, the Chimera in Halloween Town), some are kinda frustrating (Pink Agaracius), and I'm convinced Sniper Wilds were designed by sadists.

Top Bottom