• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

Highwind

Completed it today at level 99 on proud mode. (KH2 Final Mix)

I own the original Final Mix+ which came with Re:Com (was my first japanese import) and I don't know if it was the remastered music or the HD visuals that did it for me but KH2FM plays a lot better than I remember and I had a lot of fun with the combat and magic system.

If you'd ask me at the time which battle system I prefered, I'd have said BBS/DDD no contest, but after another runthrough of KH2FM, I think I prefer how things are done here and I'd want this battle system to return but with a few tweaks to the magic system. I don't know I just prefer how the ground and aerial combat was handled and I feel it's superior. It can get braindead at times but obliterating everything in your path while you're overpowered in drive forms with sword and magic in HD has ever felt more satisfiying.

I've seen people say magic is useless in the game but if you ask me I never found magic to be useless and it contributed to me getting to lv99 in a day (something I sure as hell wouldn't bother with if magic was useless). Maybe it's just me. *shrugs*

I don't know if I want to start BBS just yet. I still have a lot of battles to clear up and tbh I'd be happy just playing KH2FM.

Tsunamo

I've seen people say magic is useless in the game but if you ask me I never found magic to be useless and it contributed to me getting to lv99 in a day (something I sure as hell wouldn't bother with if magic was useless). Maybe it's just me. *shrugs*
I'll admit that in the vanilla release I rarely used magic (but I was pretty stubborn about that back then for some reason) but yeah in Final Mix it helps for leveling up, finishers. The incorperation into forms and using it in a different way for most of them was great. I feel like some of the 13 mushroom tasks really made good use of both forms and magic.

Actually now that I think about it I liked playing as Terra, but Ventus sucks. He's way too weak. Every encounter is just me mashing X to chip away damage. And after KH2 his aerials feel waaaay too clunky, like when I whiff an attack and take 20 years to get back to ground.

Also what's the point of the rolling bomb guys? They aren't threatening, just annoying when you accidentally trigger one to explode as you spam square to get away.

Actually now that I think about it I liked playing as Terra, but Ventus sucks. He's way too weak. Every encounter is just me mashing X to chip away damage. And after KH2 his aerials feel waaaay too clunky, like when I whiff an attack and take 20 years to get back to ground.

Also what's the point of the rolling bomb guys? They aren't threatening, just annoying when you accidentally trigger one to explode as you spam square to get away.

Ventus eventually gets vastly better Command Deck abilities than Terra (including two that, like KH2FM's Limit Form, deal damage and heal you simultaneously, though, heh, they don't exactly include as many invincibility frames).

He's also got the <3 <3 <3 Wingblade <3 <3 <3 Command Style.

So I bought the game yesterday and will start playing soon. Is the platinum difficult to obtain for Kingdom Hearts 2? Are there any ridiculous trophies like completing all gummi ship missions from KH 1?

Lightning

Banned
So I bought the game yesterday and will start playing soon. Is the platinum difficult to obtain for Kingdom Hearts 2? Are there any ridiculous trophies like completing all gummi ship missions from KH 1?
They are time consuming but can be done in 1 critical mode playthrough unlike the bullshit of KH1FM. Playing any mode other than critical mode though will require another playthrough to plat the game.

Caladrius

I'm incredibly frustrated.

I'm fighting the LW at level 67.
I have every single attack learned by heart and I know the counters for all of them, but I always manage to find ways to fuck up.

Errant high potions instead of cure, a mistimed guard, getting hit with a bow because Ultima Cannon's explosion was blocking my view.

He's also got the <3 <3 <3 Wingblade <3 <3 <3 Command Style.

I'm going to be extremely disappointed if it or something like it isn't in 3. Best command Style along with Ghost Drive and Rhythm Mixer.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Started playing BBS. It didn't translate to the big screen as well as I'd hoped. Feels kinda clunky and the camera is weird. There's also tons of little graphical oddities that you don't notice on a PSP but are cringe worthy on TV. Suppose I'll get used to it.

Falk

that puzzling face
Ventus in the tutorial section

eESjE41.jpg

Man grinding for Drive Forms...good thing Beast's Castle exists. One of the best areas I've found to grind. It has Nobodies, Heartless, and the armor suits have plenty of Drive Orbs (plus having Sweet Memories and Drive Convertor is great, too).

I wonder why they changed Sweet Memories ability. It had "Lucky Lucky" before, right? In vanilla?

Aru

I find it disturbing that KH2 lacks a dodge roll ability (I know it was added to KH2FM, but I don't have the Limit Form yet). It's kinda hard to dodge anything, so I think I have to master counter-attacks and blocking.

Lightning

Banned
I find it disturbing that KH2 lacks a dodge roll ability (I know it was added to KH2FM, but I don't have the Limit Form yet). It's kinda hard to dodge anything, so I think I have to master counter-attacks and blocking.
I find quick run better anyway. Thats how I dodged things.

They are time consuming but can be done in 1 critical mode playthrough unlike the bullshit of KH1FM. Playing any mode other than critical mode though will require another playthrough to plat the game.
Critical sounds too hardcore for me. I'll start out in Proud mode first. Great to hear that difficulty trophies stack this time. Same applies to BBS right?

Carbonox

Literally have no idea where to start with the Gummi stuff. I watched a video on how to build a good donut ship but unfortunately I lack many required materials. All I did in the Gummi stuff was go through each route once to get to worlds. Never did any missions or return to routes to farm materials. I guess going through the routes again to rack up some materials before building a good donut ship would be the best bet, and then doing the missions.

HeelPower

Critical sounds too hardcore for me. I'll start out in Proud mode first. Great to hear that difficulty trophies stack this time. Same applies to BBS right?

15 hours into the game and critical seems to be very appropriate.

I am not a very hardcore player either ,but really this mode seems very appropriately challenging.

Will there be massive difficulty spikes later ? Maybe..but I didn't really experience much of that at all.

I daresay any other mode might be too easy,actually.

Don't do it! Critical is amazing. Why play Final Mix if you're not going to play the awesome new difficulty mode?
I think you misunderstood me. I will play on Critical mode but not on the first play through. Though I may reconsider that.
15 hours into the game and critical seems to be very appropriate.

I am not a very hardcore player either ,but really this mode seems very appropriately challenging.

Will there be massive difficulty spikes later ? Maybe..but I didn't really experience much of that at all.

I daresay any other mode might be too easy,actually.
Interesting. Which world are you in now? Mulan? Perhaps you are leveling quite well.
Yes the difficulty trophies stack for KH2FM
BbSFM only has a Critical difficulty trophy.
Nice. My final two platinums for PS3.

Carbonox

Ok scratch what I said in my last post about not knowing where to start with the Gummi stuff. Simply making a donut shaped Gummi ship, going through Sunlight Storm a few times for some crucial materials and sticking you best weapons all over your ship = easy fucking S ranks everywhere.

Sensational stuff.

Captcha

BBS critical isn't hard at all. I think I said in another post, but I think the hardest part in the game is the first hour of Aqua's scenario; she starts off so terrible.

BBS critical isn't hard at all. I think I said in another post, but I think the hardest part in the game is the first hour of Aqua's scenario; she starts off so terrible.

Yeah, the first two or so worlds are a pain, just for how little damage she does at the beginning. By the the she hits Radiant Garden, though? You can make her godlike, nevermind the rest of the game.

Lightning

Banned
I've spent they last few hours playing through normal mode on KH2FM and what the fuck.. This mode is an absolute joke. There's no challenge at all, there's no fun or sense of accomplishment in this.

Really glad I completed everything on critical now. Such a waste to play on normal mode. Definitely fastest if trophies are all that matter but fuck this shit. I'm going to do the Data's and Lingering Will to see the difference of myself but if it's as big as the main game then they are going to be a joke as well.

Just got the game. I haven't turned on my console yet but are there any updates for the game that have come out since launch that are important or, considering the state of PSN right now, can I just jump right in and play offline?

Quick question, Im playing through COM now and I was wondering, when I beat it, should I watch 385/2 first, or play KH2 then watch it? I've never played any of these games before (though a few plot points have been spoiled for me). Most people seem to recommend playing the games in release order for a first timer, but to my knowledge 385/2 takes place before 2? So what should I do?

Luigi87

I've spent they last few hours playing through normal mode on KH2FM and what the fuck.. This mode is an absolute joke. There's no challenge at all, there's no fun or sense of accomplishment in this.

Really glad I completed everything on critical now. Such a waste to play on normal mode. Definitely fastest if trophies are all that matter but fuck this shit. I'm going to do the Data's and Lingering Will to see the difference of myself but if it's as big as the main game then they are going to be a joke as well.

Yes, Standard is known to be really, really easy.

Generally I believe the difficulties are in the order of (hardest to easiest):
KH2FM Critical > KH2FM Proud > KH2 Proud > KH2(FM) Standard > KH2(FM)Beginner

KH2 Proud also being easier than KHFM Proud (not sure how it compares to KH Expert)

Lightning

Banned
Yes, Standard is known to be really, really easy.

Generally I believe the difficulties are in the order of (hardest to easiest):
KH2FM Critical > KH2FM Proud > KH2 Proud > KH2(FM) Standard > KH2(FM)Beginner

KH2 Proud also being easier than KHFM Proud (not sure how it compares to KH Expert)
The lucky lucky difference is extremely noticeable. Getting hardly any item drops.

Lightning

Banned
Got the game today.

Hate the delay when using driveforms, anyway to fix it?

Loving everything else.

I pause the game for 3 seconds, that removes the animation and prevents enemies attacking you during it. There is no way to cancel out the loading though.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
WOW, BbS is fun! Not sure I understand drive forms (?) yet, but this seems like a natural evolution of KH2's battle system and is far more cohesive/streamlined than DDD's flowmotion/pet nonsense.

Chose Ventus for my first character... was that a good idea?

Kinsei

Banned
WOW, BbS is fun! Not sure I understand drive forms (?) yet, but this seems like a natural evolution of KH2's battle system and is far more cohesive/streamlined than DDD's flowmotion/pet nonsense.

Chose Ventus for my first character... was that a good idea?

Drive forms? Do you mean D-Links or command styles?

The intended order is Terra > Ven > Aqua (The order they're listed), but you'll be fine so long as you play Aqua's story last.

Captcha

Ventus>Terra>Aqua will actually play the story correct chronologically. Someone mentioned it above, but a major plot point makes zero god damn sense if you play Terra first.

Kinsei

Banned
Ventus>Terra>Aqua will actually play the story correct chronologically. Someone mentioned it above, but a major plot point makes zero god damn sense if you play Terra first.

Are you talking about Eraqus trying to kill Ven? I always figured that was intentional to get you interested in Ven's story.

Someone mentioned it above, but a major plot point makes zero god damn sense if you play Terra first.

That's pretty much the entire point. It's supposed to be a hook to get you interested in his story once you finish Terra's.

That being said, said scene is far more badass when watched from Ven's POV.

Famassu

Terra Ven Aqua is the only way. Not only did I feel it actually worked better from a story POV, it's also less jarring going from Terra -> Ven gameplay-wise than going from the agile Ven to the more slow, tank-ish Terra.

FSLink

Banned
Terra Ven Aqua is the only way. Not only did I feel it actually worked better from a story POV, it's also less jarring going from Terra -> Ven gameplay-wise than going from the agile Ven to the more slow, tank-ish Terra.

Agreed. It fits story wise, and it's a much more natural progression gameplay wise.

Top Bottom