• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Unchained |OT| - It's not an X - [UP] Worldwide Release

Permanently A

Reposting for top of page: very useful guide on how to level medals: http://chiunion.tumblr.com/post/130792181906/ability-dots-leveling-medals

Not sure how to feel

giphy.gif

AHHHHH FUCK.

Why the hell was this ability dots feature not explained at all in this game? That is very important information.

That pisses me off. How the heck am I supposed to find another lv 3-5 Goofy B version?

I feel your pain, every other gacha game I know of has something special for combining two identical cards/medals/pogs/whatevers so I found it kind of strange why this one seemed to have no info on the subject. Otherwise I would have probably never bothered looking for this info.

Falk

that puzzling face
Well, I tried. Everyone was too busy spamming IDs for invite though.

This is what I understand, and I could be wrong (Malyse halp):

ALL medals can go up to 6*. What differenciates one medal from another is its element, attack/defense stat, Special Attack, and Skill (Skills are random)

- The * ranks are serial. 2* lv1 is better than 1* max lv, and so on and so forth. If you have a 1* of something, it's possible through upgrading to eventually get it up to 5* and it'll be like a pulled 5*.
- You can transfer skills with a low success rate between medals by combining the source into the target. Obviously this sucks because RNG so if at all possible you want the medal with a good skill to be your main medal
- Special Attacks gain one upgradeable rank at 3*, one more at 4*, one more at 5*. This is what the 3 dots on your 5* medal's Special Attack pane are.
- Combining the same medal (MUST be same rank) upgrades its special attack once. This upgrade will carry when you subsequently evolve the medal to a higher * level.
- This means if you have e.g. Stitch 5*, 3*, 3*, it makes the most sense to combine the two 3*s first to get a 3* with 1 upgrade, THEN evolve that 3* to 5*, and have it absorb the original 5* so you have an end result of a 5* with an special attack upgraded twice.

edit: tl;dr, if you have a bunch of 2*s of something, getting a 5* with 3 Special Attack upgrades is only fractionally more tedious than if you had a 5* to begin with and wanted to get full 3 Special Attack upgrades on it. Unless you pull 3 of that 5* like people pulling 3 platinum swords on the FFT banner jafsdlakfewapjfkgjlk4j g4398t6u3qa mrf2qAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

5-STAR BAMBI. TOO GOOD.

I got a 5-Star Abu so it balances out.

I also like 5-Star Goofy. Does some good damage.

2 different Sora forms, best version Goofy, and Leon.

You did good.

more than 1 5* is plenty to be happy about.

Reposting for top of page: very useful guide on how to level medals: http://chiunion.tumblr.com/post/130792181906/ability-dots-leveling-medals

giphy.gif

Thanks, after 100quests im still getting to grips with the game.

hamchan

Not really feeling it that much.

I guess I just wasn't in the mood for this sort of mobile game after playing so much Record Keeper. So I'll keep playing it but I probably won't ever put money into it. I doubt there'll be much if any important story stuff too.

It does look and run amazing on my iPhone 6S+ though.

Not really feeling it that much.

I guess I just wasn't in the mood for this sort of mobile game after playing so much Record Keeper. So I'll keep playing it but I probably won't ever put money into it. I doubt there'll be much if any important story stuff too.

It does look and run amazing on my iPhone 6S+ though.

Mickey and Org 13 cloaked person show up so it probably will be important

Miracle

What really brings me down is the two medals needing to be the same rank.

It wouldn't be problem for me if I were able to use a 3rd rank of said medal on my 5 rank and get the special attack there, but instead I have to go through leveling that shit again and again. :(

Falk

that puzzling face
Given that it'd be better to draw a medal, say, three times at 3* than once at 5*.

Which is a little counterintuitive.

Not necessarily. If you draw a 5* medal, that one exists as fodder to put into your primary medal when you level it up from 4*+2SA, or in other words you cut out needing to level one last 3* to 5* which takes a shit ton of effort.

So drawing a 5* is still good. Except you're now unsure if you want to level it up, which will be wasted if it ends up being fodder.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
What really brings me down is the two medals needing to be the same rank.

It wouldn't be problem for me if I were able to use a 3rd rank of said medal on my 5 rank and get the special attack there, but instead I have to go through leveling that shit again and again. :(

Just do what I do. Don't give a fuck about that small aspect of min maxing. I'm sure a full 6* team will be just fine.

Xetherion

Finally got enough jewels to do a 10 pull.

Got three 5*! Peter Pan, KH Sora Ver. B, and Tinkerbell! Tinkerbell's ability is Cura, seems like it'd be good for tougher fights. May go back and kill some of those Invisibles and whatnot i had to skip before.

Also a 4* Auron and Captain Goofy.

But the really interesting medal I got besides the 5*s is a 3* Dumbo that has a skill. Defense Boost I - cuts enemy damage by 1/2. That seems really good.

Falk

that puzzling face
Just do what I do. Don't give a fuck about that small aspect of min maxing. I'm sure a full 6* team will be just fine.

My 5*3SA (... maybe we should start using that as terminology, heh, nice ring to it) Rikku is doing a 7k AOE and her offensive stat isn't really that good. On higher tier/rarer units the difference is potentially massive.

Like you said, it probably wont matter in the early phases of the game, but when you DO get 6* units and have nothing left to upgrade, and if the game starts to get harder, it's going to be more of a chore doing it then than doing it now.

Balphon

Not necessarily. If you draw a 5* medal, that one exists as fodder to put into your primary medal when you level it up from 4*+2SA, or in other words you cut out needing to level one last 3* to 5* which takes a shit ton of effort.

So drawing a 5* is still good. Except you're now unsure if you want to level it up, which will be wasted if it ends up being fodder.

Sure, but even then the single 5* you draw is just waiting around to be replaced if the optimal path is always to evolve from 3*. Which is not what one would assume and isn't exactly something the game telegraphs at all.

Falk

that puzzling face
Sure, but even then the single 5* you draw is just waiting around to be replaced if the optimal path is always to evolve from 3*. Which is not what one would assume and isn't exactly something the game telegraphs at all.

Right, right, I totally agree that this is something the game could have documented better.

Also, IF the game let you feed a lv1 5*2SA into a lv80 5*0SA to get a lv80 5*3SA (as in, those pips transfer over even as a fodder unit, not the main one) it'd be a lot more intuitive.

I'm not sure if it does that. Never attempted.

edit:

Actually, I'm pretty sure that at one point the game says you can combine the same medal to upgrade its Special Ability. However considering this happens unexpectedly later (after your first pull maybe?) and the game had a long-ass tutorial to begin with, it's easy to overlook.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
My 5*3SA (... maybe we should start using that as terminology, heh, nice ring to it) Rikku is doing a 7k AOE and her offensive stat isn't really that good. On higher tier/rarer units the difference is potentially massive.

Like you said, it probably wont matter in the early phases of the game, but when you DO get 6* units and have nothing left to upgrade, and if the game starts to get harder, it's going to be more of a chore doing it then than doing it now.

By the time the game becomes that difficult I'll be playing KH3 on PS4k.

How are you guys upgrading your Keyblades? Should I go all in on Starlight or what?

I was all Starlight at first, but eventually I realized just how useful the other Keyblades are when the difficulty ramps up and you get more decent medals of each attribute. It's really convenient to just have a balanced team on Starlight with your attribute focused teams on the other Keyblades, so there's less shuffling around to adapt to specific missions than if you only used Starlight. Also there are a number of objectives that require you to use the others, which makes it doubly useful to have them at least somewhat leveled.

Currently at Starlight +11 and the others, other than Olympia at +9. Sorry Olympia.

Falk

that puzzling face
Breaking news: got an Orichalcum from the Red event. I thought it'd be another chip/dale medal, heh.

Miracle

i hope you dont like Bravely Default style characters then
cause Granblue Fantasy is out this week

Ohhhhhh fuuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkk meeeeeee. I used to be BIG on Bravely Default.

Ugh this sucks. Just yesterday in the afternoon, I was getting back to playing console games and then out of no where this game comes out and puts a total stop to all of that.

And now that shit is coming out? FML. I was getting my life back together damn it!

Ohhhhhh fuuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkk meeeeeee. I used to be BIG on Bravely Default.

Ugh this sucks. Just yesterday in the afternoon, I was getting back to playing console games and then out of no where this game comes out and puts a total stop to all of that.

And now that shit is coming out? FML. I was getting my life back together damn it!

and dont forget Dark Souls 3 is this week as well

chrono01

i hope you dont like Bravely Default style characters then
cause Granblue Fantasy is out this week
I have been playing Granblue Fantasy for a while and it's great. So many events to do (they always keep you busy), nice music, a compelling story, and incredible art. The art...is Godly. I hope to see you all there when it releases next week!

Also, I just need to say, I'm extremely thankful that the 5*/6* in this game are obtainable in Unchained through evolution, in case you get unlucky pulling them from the summons. I wish more games would do that.

Miracle

Also, I just need to say, I'm extremely thankful that the 5*/6* in this game are obtainable in Unchained through evolution, in case you get unlucky pulling them from the summons. I wish more games would do that.

It's by far my favorite feature in this game to which I will now expect, or at least, be very hopeful of that future mobile games like this will follow.

In fact, in this game, leveling up your medal through evolution is actually better than getting a 5 star version immediately because of what we found out recently about increasing special attack.

Cybaster

So is the attack boost only applied to that medal attack? I fused it to Hayner's strength boost :(

Edit: Just tested this myself and attack boost only affect itself. Strength boost+2 special says 2 attacks but it includes itself, so it's 1 additional attack. The effect is +20% damage, multiplicative to attack boost.

Top Bottom